Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
same honestly, it's been the first thing I've seen in this show that made me raise an eyebrow, but it was also like the second episode of season 2 so idk

Mentat Radnor posted:

Kyouko doesn't even show up in ~90% or more of the show and I don't think that extrapolating sexual assault from the little physical closeness we've been shown is a safe assumption at all.
tbf, I totally see where that reading comes from tho before it goes in detail.

The flashes we see of Kyouka before getting into the meat of it are her leaping through Rei's window at night to sock him in the jaw, her sitting ontop of him holding his face, and her sliding into his bed and grabbing him from behind. Kyouka def traded in borderline abusive behavior when she was teenager and now seeks to assuage this deep loneliness she can't get rid of nor can she find anyone to put the blame for it on.

Her arc is probably the darkest thing I've seen in the show so far, and I think her character is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

dogsicle posted:

if anything, the stuff with kyouko and her daddy bf was the bit about her character that the show seemed to be mishandling. but i haven't watched past that to see what s2 did with her.
Uh, nothing at all because S2 wanted to go in a completely different direction after that

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Expect My Mom posted:

tbf, I totally see where that reading comes from tho before it goes in detail.

Oh for sure, and I had the same though when I read that chapter for the first time. I'm not saying it's unreasonable to wonder if she sexually assaulted Rei, just that the audience isn't expressly shown or told if something like that happened so assuming that it did is a stretch.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Expect My Mom posted:

Devilman Crybaby (2018)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's a fun little show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What show?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Takunomi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gmq posted:

"his sister (maybe) raped him"

what on earth gave you this impression

edit: oh wait we're supposed to go 'yeah i can see this' apparently

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVfRPADqtE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Knorth posted:

That's a fun little show

I've basically just been watching this and Pop Team Epic this season and yeah!!

I have no attention span this year

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
March Lion: Kyouko is a character the story has, up to this point even in the manga, been used quite sparingly but to very strong effect. Her first appearance is quite extreme but it's become quite clear that the relationship she does hold with Rei is not one of pure malice or antagonism, that ultimately they both wish to grow as people and as siblings but are often forced to take steps backwards for reasons both within and outside of their control. She is in many ways just as broken as Rei but without the emotional support provided by the Kawamotos. How they may or may not fully make amends is one of the more compelling larger scope storylines and one that I expect will not get fully resolved until towards the end.

Also not sure if this makes it better or worse but their relationship is maybe not even the top 3 of "hosed up / dark / heavy" plot threads in the story. March Lion very much does concern itself with some serious material at times.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Fujinomiya City

https://twitter.com/FujinomiyaCity/status/966523206705192960

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally more details on Banana Fish: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-22/banana-fish-anime-reveals-cast-more-staff-1st-promo-video-modern-day-setting/.128049

24 episodes, premiering in July, it will be a full adaptation of the manga aside from updating the setting to modern day (boo)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dogsicle posted:

updating the setting to modern day

What?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

banana fish was set in the 80's

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dogsicle posted:

banana fish was set in the 80's

No, I know, the opening scene is literally set in Vietnam

How are they going to update that, why, it changes the tone of the story

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not familiar with Banana Fish, but according to Wikipedia it was also written in the 80s. So it was set in the modern day, and keeping it in the 80s for the anime would turn it into a period piece.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just wanted an 80's soundtrack.....

they'll probably replace Vietnam with some nondescript military conflict, granted I've only read the first couple volumes so idk how much role that opening plays in the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i just wanted an 80's soundtrack.....

they'll probably replace Vietnam with some nondescript military conflict, granted I've only read the first couple volumes so idk how much role that opening plays in the story.

Vietnam and MKULTRA are huuuge parts of the plot. They’ll probably have to replace them with War on Terror stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, a modern version of Banana Fish could be pretty wild. It’s the story of (big spoilers) an experimental technology developed by the CIA for imperialist atrocities falling into the hands of an elderly paedophile with mob connections who uses it to develop his influence in US domestic politics.

Just depends how audacious the staff behind it are feeling, I guess.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not familiar with Banana Fish, but according to Wikipedia it was also written in the 80s. So it was set in the modern day, and keeping it in the 80s for the anime would turn it into a period piece.

And?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having it remain in the 80s would have been cool but there's enough recent conflict that part can probably be updated without much trouble.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

They're changing it either way. Two things are true about the manga; it was set in modern day, and it was set in the 80s. This adaptation could only do one or the other.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're changing it either way. Two things are true about the manga; it was set in modern day, and it was set in the 80s. This adaptation could only do one or the other.

w...what?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parallax posted:

w...what?

Back in the 80s, the 80s was modern day. So the Banana Fish manga was both set in the modern day and set in the 80s. But we're in the teens now so the new Banana Fish could be set in the modern day, or it could be set in the 80s, but it can't do both.

A thing set in the time it is created is different from a thing set in the past. It's the difference between Pierre Menard's Don Quixote and Cervantes' Don Quixote.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Parallax posted:

w...what?

"The modern day" was the 80s when it was written so the choice was to either set the anime in the modern day relative to when the anime is being made, or in the same time period as the manga (so it would no longer be current day stuff), I think is their point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which show?

Asking for a friend.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

iospace posted:

Which show?

Asking for a friend.

quote:

Takunomi.
Production IMS | Kobayashi, Tomoki | Takayama, Katsuhiko | Slice of Life, Comedy, Shounen | Manga | Jan 12, 2018
20-year-old Michiru Amatsuki moved to Tokyo due to a change of career. She decided to live in a woman-only share house "Stella House Haruno" with people of different age and occupations. It's always fun when there's delicious alcohol and meal!!

Here you go...coward.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
maybe the real coward is the one who insults iospace's friend where they can't respond directly

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

Back in the 80s, the 80s was modern day. So the Banana Fish manga was both set in the modern day and set in the 80s. But we're in the teens now so the new Banana Fish could be set in the modern day, or it could be set in the 80s, but it can't do both.

A thing set in the time it is created is different from a thing set in the past. It's the difference between Pierre Menard's Don Quixote and Cervantes' Don Quixote.

Guy Goodbody, you kind of own. Thank you for making me dig out my copy of Labyrinths again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eela6 posted:

Guy Goodbody, you kind of own. Thank you for making me dig out my copy of Labyrinths again.

Ficciones is literally the only book I've ever read that didn't feature a spaceship battle so I bring it up whenever I can.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't give a poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't give a poo poo
i do

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't give a poo poo

you have no power anymore. your forces are weak, scattered. srice is gone, and with him your 80s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't give a poo poo
:hawaaaafap:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

:thunk:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Endorph posted:

I don't think that any sexual assault actually happened, but considering the imagery used I'm not surprised that some other viewers assumed it did, especially after they just saw Kyouko bullying/punching Rei earlier in that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:confuoot:

• Locked thread