Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

uber_stoat posted:

I'd totally use a currency backed by the full faith and credit of the Mothman.

I'd rather use a currency backed by Wendigos, it just makes sense to use a spirit of insatiable hunger as a currency :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/cultofdusty/status/961086866224242689
https://twitter.com/wewuzmetokur/status/961036331697803265

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
What caused him to go overtly racist? Isn't he normally like the rest of the alt-right rationalist crowd where they hide it under a veneer of dog whistles and faux science?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

If you join up with the right on the internet, you'll steadily close yourself off from people who think open racial slurs are bad, and steadily get used to hearing them. It was just a matter of time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gonna guess "No, you see, there's black people, and then there's..."

Though I don't know, maybe he's off the total racism deep end, I sure as hell am not clicking that video at work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

If you join up with the right on the internet, you'll steadily close yourself off from people who think open racial slurs are bad, and steadily get used to hearing them. It was just a matter of time.

Yeah 4chan is a hell of a drug

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

What is morally wrong with being disgusted by homosexuals?

I think Jews are disgusting. I think burritos are disgusting. That's my opinion. Nothing wrong with it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How could someone possibly hate burritos, they're a universal food like pizza :psyduck:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ate all the Oreos posted:

How could someone possibly hate burritos, they're a universal food like pizza :psyduck:

Bad refried beans

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Burritos are from Mexico. The OP channeled by LoB probably doesn’t like that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Refried beans are pretty disgusting in burritos, I agree.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

Burritos are from Mexico. The OP channeled by LoB probably doesn’t like that.

They're not even from Mexico, they were made by Mexican Americans in the US and then reverse imported into Mexico afterwards. About as American as baseball and apple pie.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What's the most racist thing Scott Alexander's ever said? I'm in a debate with a fanboy and i've thrown the fact that he considers himself an ideological ally of Charles Murray at him, but I swear he's said some way worse stuff recently

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

His "joke" about filling out his dream cabinet with random black women, perhaps.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

What's the most racist thing Scott Alexander's ever said? I'm in a debate with a fanboy and i've thrown the fact that he considers himself an ideological ally of Charles Murray at him, but I swear he's said some way worse stuff recently

whatever racist things scott has said will probably be deflected as not racist, and scott himself has convinced himself that any racist poo poo he says is not racist, and his reactionary fans agree.

some big things are his love of HBD and dogged determination in proving trump to be not-racist.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For whatever reason whenever I see HBD I almost always forget what it means and my mind just makes up a meaning, this time I read it as "Huge Big-ol' Dongs"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

For whatever reason whenever I see HBD I almost always forget what it means and my mind just makes up a meaning, this time I read it as "Huge Big-ol' Dongs"
When I first heard the term I thought, oh, that's interesting; studying different genetic profiles in humans, maybe coming up with tailored treatments or studying possible regional variations in reactions to common str- oh, it's just about hating black people again.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's literally just lovely late 19th century race science with the serial numbers filed off. All the core beliefs are the same, what changes is the scientific vogue that's been misappropriated to justify them -- we've moved from phrenology to genetics.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's literally just lovely late 19th century race science with the serial numbers filed off. All the core beliefs are the same, what changes is the scientific vogue that's been misappropriated to justify them -- we've moved from phrenology to genetics.

HBD isn't just "19th century race science with the serial numbers filed off"; it's also got 1950s homophobic and transphobic psychology!

Also, hbomberguy finished his soy-based diet. The only difference was that he went from 180lb to 160lb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXkHIsslD0

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TinTower posted:

HBD isn't just "19th century race science with the serial numbers filed off"; it's also got 1950s homophobic and transphobic psychology!

Also, hbomberguy finished his soy-based diet. The only difference was that he went from 180lb to 160lb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXkHIsslD0

He was 180lbs????

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Apparently slate star idiot posted another batch of testimonials from around the internet, I hope many of them came from here because I ain't clicking that but I want hot takes

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It's hard to judge the best, but this felt like the fairest and deepest cut somehow

quote:

“It’s cool to watch the slate star codex guy inch closer and closer to actually knowing something while his comment sections get stupider and stupider”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Does crazy rear end Christina Hoff Sommers count because she decided to branch out from 'feminism is actually evil and I'm a woman professor so I know' to some hilarious 'yea man the baby boomers are cool you millennial sjws need to loosen up like us babes' thing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

On a good day he's this one

quote:

“Scott Alexander over at the popular blog Slate Star Codex is an interesting case study in classical liberalism; nowhere else will you find someone who better exemplifies the phenomenon of skirting within microns of the event horizon of Getting It before screaming ‘Nooooo’ and zooming off in some other direction; nor will you find many who choose a crazier direction in which to flee.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Does crazy rear end Christina Hoff Sommers count because she decided to branch out from 'feminism is actually evil and I'm a woman professor so I know' to some hilarious 'yea man the baby boomers are cool you millennial sjws need to loosen up like us babes' thing.

That woman has the most bizarrely distorted image of millennials I've seen yet :psyduck:

Like she's got the conservative line of "they don't let me use slurs!!" down but somehow missed the whole "they're turning your children into sex-crazed genderfluid otherkin who are addicted to estrogen pills!!!!" part

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
She was one of the first right wing shitheads to recognize Gamergate for what it was and pander to them, and in return they started calling her "based mom", because they're manchildren. That's why people on Twitter address her as "mom" sometimes.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Pope Guilty posted:

She was one of the first right wing shitheads to recognize Gamergate for what it was and pander to them, and in return they started calling her "based mom", because they're manchildren. That's why people on Twitter address her as "mom" sometimes.

It's really creepy for them to have come up with this in the first place, but it's even worse that she's apparently adopted it herself. I get that playing a cargo cult academic for libertarians is a good grift, but there's no need to commit to indulging their weirdest impulses.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nessus posted:

When I first heard the term I thought, oh, that's interesting; studying different genetic profiles in humans, maybe coming up with tailored treatments or studying possible regional variations in reactions to common str- oh, it's just about hating black people again.

I mean that is a thing in genetics studies and has been for a while - a big part of my degree 10 years ago was all the things that big breakthroughs in sequencing speed were making possible. Just that actual geneticists never call it Human Biodiversity because that's a loving stupid name if you know anything about genetics at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
"history is conflated with justice" is an elegant rendition of a viewpoint that dumbs down into "might makes right" / "people deserve whatever they get", two sentiments that never seem to be too far from the surface of right ideologies

poo poo now I want to read some Borges

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

the more borges i read the more baffling it becomes that he was a big fan of pinochet

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chwoka posted:

the more borges i read the more baffling it becomes that he was a big fan of pinochet

Pobody's nerfect!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
With Damore back in the headlines and having just looked at Scott Alexander's comment on the memo I just have some questions. What exactly is their grievance with Google? Google has a 70% male workforce and an 80% male technical staff. They are a corporation that is under no obligation to hire female technical staff and the management is allowed to have any ideology they want. What great injustice is being done when some google flack pays lip service to hiring more women? Who are the oppressed people that Scott is cheering on?

Is it your lived experience doctor/software engineer that there some vast conspiracy to keep men down?

Dmitri-9 has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Feb 22, 2018

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Oppression is just a feeling, and it's a bad feeling to sit through a diversity training session where people are saying things that ARE NOT TRUE!!!!! such as that women and black people aren't inferior.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grenrow posted:

It's really creepy for them to have come up with this in the first place, but it's even worse that she's apparently adopted it herself. I get that playing a cargo cult academic for libertarians is a good grift, but there's no need to commit to indulging their weirdest impulses.

I don't think there are actually that many true sociopaths in the world capable of pandering to a certain group they already sympathize with, getting a lot of negative attention from people outside/against it, and not growing to empathize more and more with the group as a result.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

By the way, is Peterson considered Dark Enlightenment, or is he too goofy for even then?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Samovar posted:

By the way, is Peterson considered Dark Enlightenment, or is he too goofy for even then?

He's closer to dork enlightenment than alt right. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go monarchist after his Star sets

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Semi-related:

https://twitter.com/SophistCretin/status/966142126919684096

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It's so sad. *Sniff*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not too fond of Zizek either but good lord above I cannot wait to watch him publicly swirly Peterson