Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Where do you even start looking into accidents during the Manhattan Project. My grandpa worked at The Lab at the time, got irradiated and in 2007 died of bladder and endocrine cancer due to his exposure.

Here is a piece about him and a Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.lamonitor.com/content/oppenheimer-souvenir-brings-back-bittersweet-moment

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

As long as the US is spending defense dollars in stupid ways can we get an army unit to just run a M1 Abrams up and down that stretch of road?

If a moose can stop a 108,000+ pound chunk of angry human forged steel moving at 50+ mph then we should yield and acknowledge that Moose are now the top species on the planet.

The moose would win because the dumb humans didn't maintain their road infrastructure because TAXES BAD and the previously mentioned tank is sitting face down in a creek bed because the lovely road couldn't handle it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

As long as the US is spending defense dollars in stupid ways can we get an army unit to just run a M1 Abrams up and down that stretch of road?

If a moose can stop a 108,000+ pound chunk of angry human forged steel moving at 50+ mph then we should yield and acknowledge that Moose are now the top species on the planet.

The moose would win because the dumb humans didn't maintain their road infrastructure because TAXES BAD and the previously mentioned tank is sitting face down in a creek bed because the lovely road couldn't handle it.

Counterpoint: If invasion plan Sweden Alpha is ever a go, we will see a bunch of sick M1 on moose action on Liveleak.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This post is Pretty Good.

Well, I got it.

:golfclap:

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Forgive this naive question:

Did the overall camera image go dark due to the sudden release of a large amount of material that emits a shitload of light because it is hot and the sensor in the camera, probably CCD, responded accordingly?

Or did the overall camera image go dark because fire sprinklers did what they are designed to do and rely on water's high specific heat to suck that thermal poo poo up, release it as steam, and save lives?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Fabulousity posted:

Forgive this naive question:

Did the overall camera image go dark due to the sudden release of a large amount of material that emits a shitload of light because it is hot and the sensor in the camera, probably CCD, responded accordingly?

Or did the overall camera image go dark because fire sprinklers did what they are designed to do and rely on water's high specific heat to suck that thermal poo poo up, release it as steam, and save lives?

Looks like the camera sensor to me. I think there would be a lot more steam if sprinklers were on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

weg posted:

Looks like the camera sensor to me. I think there would be a lot more steam if sprinklers were on.

Also, wouldn't a sprinkler system, with the temps that molten mess has be at, be like releasing mini grandes? That molten metal would spatter everywhere.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How does one clean that up once it’s cool?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

i found a photo of the driver's side

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

very carefully

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

Video from 2016 commercial Salmon season Prince William Sound several boats in the area most of which were from a family of bullies claiming their so called turf. The boat that rammed this boat was being ran by a 27 year old female who was also being peer pressured by her uncles In the audio you can actually hear her yell get the gently caress out of here!

https://i.imgur.com/Xf9Ngee.mp4

Edit: here's an article all about it https://craigmedred.news/2016/10/14/true-fish-war/

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

She's been charged with assault with a weapon.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Jesus christ the anchor swinging into frame where dude's head just was.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dillbag posted:

Isn't that where the airbag deploys? That would turn her dumb face into swiss cheese.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dillbag posted:

come at me takata

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i did this as a child but with a longer rope and sat on the skateboard, it was great and nobody got run over but there was a special school assembly telling us to stop it because someone evidently complained to the school that we were being dangerous, though my parents didn't seem to care :shrug:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Couple angle grinders and a push broom.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dillbag posted:

Well that's going to be a very festive shotgun blast for emergency services to pick through.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Isn't that where the airbag deploys? That would turn her dumb face into swiss cheese.

Yep :thejoke:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I was poking around the basement of some building, I don't even know what to say about this.... It belongs here

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

chrisgt posted:

I was poking around the basement of some building, I don't even know what to say about this.... It belongs here

Well did you open it?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

chrisgt posted:

Please adhere to the tagout checkout policy. :ghost:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My house didn't come with a death valve :mad:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Bloop posted:

My house didn't come with a death valve :mad:

You just haven't found it yet.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

You know you want to

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i did this as a child but with a longer rope and sat on the skateboard, it was great and nobody got run over but there was a special school assembly telling us to stop it because someone evidently complained to the school that we were being dangerous, though my parents didn't seem to care :shrug:

:same:

the only thing my parents did was quickly find some rope instead of the bungie cords we had dug up, since as amusing as having half a bungie cord embedded in the back of the biker's head would be it'd probably also suck somewhat

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Where do you even start looking into accidents during the Manhattan Project. My grandpa worked at The Lab at the time, got irradiated and in 2007 died of bladder and endocrine cancer due to his exposure.

Here is a piece about him and a Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.lamonitor.com/content/oppenheimer-souvenir-brings-back-bittersweet-moment

I’m sorry about your grandpa, man :( I don’t know a lot about the Manhattan Project specifically, but here’s some stuff I dug up — basically, my technique has been to read general-audience articles, then track down their sources

paper from 1979 about survivors of the demon core accidents

Plutonium in Man, 1971 review of plutonium ingestion / injection, discusses Manhattan Project-era incidents

”The Human Plutonium Injection Experiments”, long 1995 article expanding on the same topic as the 1971 article

wiki article on Albert Stevens, who survived a massive dose of plutonium in 1945

that’s all the stuff I had on hand, though I’m certain there’s much much more to be found. approximately a fuckton of stuff from about that time was declassified in the 1990s, so (garbage-quality) scans exist on various government websites

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Forgive me for being blunt but I think that working at Los Alamos in 1944 and dying of cancer 63 years later doesn't really imply causation.

The way some doctors look at it is that everyone will always get cancer eventually, and the trick is just to delay it long enough that you're killed by something else instead.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

weg posted:

The bio-robots. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDa8tR25dk

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's a fantastic insight into the Chernobyl cleanup.
Thanks for this. I've always had a dread fascination with Chernobyl and knew about the liquidators, but never saw this video. Wow!

Also, don't forget the badass medals they gave these guys:

Dannywilson posted:

This is a sign on one of the busiest roads in south-central Alaska:

I saw those signs in and around Wasilla. I also saw a couple moose while hiking. They're huge, would hate to hit one or ever have to try to defend myself from one. I'd lose.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Forgive me for being blunt but I think that working at Los Alamos in 1944 and dying of cancer 63 years later doesn't really imply causation.

The way some doctors look at it is that everyone will always get cancer eventually, and the trick is just to delay it long enough that you're killed by something else instead.

blunt, but yeah, that’s fair

that reminds me tho: I completely forgot to post one article that’s really interesting: the Los Alamos tissue analysis program, aka trying to get tissue samples from everyone who ever worked there and determine how long, to what extent, and to what effect radiation exposure lingers in the body

like, several of the people present at Slotin’s accident died “early”, but who knows if it would’ve happened anyway — Alvin Graves died of a heart issue, but there’s evidence it ran in his family. a few died of cancer, but that is also very common

it’s really fascinating to me, but like with a lot of the medical history stuff I do, it’s a balance between “this is a really interesting case study” and “poo poo, man, that was someone’s dad”

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sagebrush posted:

It could very well be related, just took a long time to happen. Not nuclear testing related, but Roger Ebert's cancer was caused by a radiation treatment in his ear when he was a child, and he didn't get cancer until he was 60.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

shelley posted:

it’s really fascinating to me, but like with a lot of the medical history stuff I do, it’s a balance between “this is a really interesting case study” and “poo poo, man, that was someone’s dad”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

We learned a ton about how tough humans are, but at the cost of our humanity.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 22, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sagebrush posted:

I was about to say something similar -- at the risk of sounding like an insensitive jackass, that's a pretty good freaking run! I would figure that radiation-induced cancer is something that shows up and kills you relatively quickly.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Sagebrush posted:

Well grandma did get a payout from the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act when he died.

Thanks for all the resources, I'll be doing some digging.

edit: it may not have been a payout from RECA.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trabant posted:

I was about to say something similar -- at the risk of sounding like an insensitive jackass, that's a pretty good freaking run! I would figure that radiation-induced cancer is something that shows up and kills you relatively quickly.

Well, we do know that even a single exposure to the right stimulus can trigger the development of some types of cancer even decades down the line. Mesothelioma is the classic example -- you can be exposed to asbestos at age 20 and not develop the cancer until you're 60.

I was just thinking more that if the guy was as young as he could be, an 18 year old army ditch digger or whatever, while he was working at Los Alamos, he still lived to be 81 years old. Maybe radiation contributed to the disease, but that's still an entire lifetime of other experiences and exposures that could be involved as well.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Sometimes it’s the site of the cancer (especially multifocal cancers that occur simultaneously) and the type of mutation that tells us it’s likely tied to rads. It’s common for cancer cells to metastasize locally, but uncommon for two different cancers to occur right next to each other, or even in fairly well-removed areas. Some types of cancer cells you just don’t see unless they’ve been irradiated to cause an extremely uncommon mutation.

Also, heart issues can very much be radiation-related. I’ve lost quite a few pts to the cardiovascular scarring that results from sternal radiation treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bird in a Blender posted:

It could very well be related, just took a long time to happen. Not nuclear testing related, but Roger Ebert's cancer was caused by a radiation treatment in his ear when he was a child, and he didn't get cancer until he was 60.

My dad worked in the asbestos mines in Libby to pay for college. If the TV ads were right, he'd be dead of mesothelioma 53.7 times by now. Instead, he's walking around with a bit of scarring in his lungs and some light emphysema.

tl;dr: cancer is fuckin' weird and complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to do Radioimmunoassay techniques in my laboratory work a couple of decades ago. I guess I'll die of cancer eventually.