Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Is it weird that I'm mostly confused about why the Sandman and whatshisface villain from Rise of the Guardians are the like... parental figures of Rapunzel and Mavis in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, what the gently caress, people are still making these? Wow, I know it's "cringey" or whatever, but it's really cute. I'm glad people are having fun. :)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

21 Muns posted:

TL;DR: the new Incredibles trailer sucks (unless it's setting up a joke about how Bob is a lovely dad for trying to do his son's homework for him, which it isn't, because Disney is a deeply fascist conservative company when you get down to it).

It's an incredibly dated joke about, literally, the New Math of the 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

quote:

Parents and teachers who opposed the New Math in the U.S. complained that the new curriculum was too far outside of students' ordinary experience and was not worth taking time away from more traditional topics, such as arithmetic. The material also put new demands on teachers, many of whom were required to teach material they did not fully understand. Parents were concerned that they did not understand what their children were learning and could not help them with their studies. In an effort to learn the material, many parents attended their children's classes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, people are still making these? Wow, I know it's "cringey" or whatever, but it's really cute. I'm glad people are having fun. :)

Wait this is a THING?

Weird...also the only weird part was the inclusion of Sandman and Pitch... the rest just kind of weirdly worked.

Also, wasn't Incredibles 1 set in the year it came out minus the first part of it?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, wasn't Incredibles 1 set in the year it came out minus the first part of it?

The first part took place in '47, the rest of the movie took place 15 years later, '62

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ishikabibble posted:

It's an incredibly dated joke about, literally, the New Math of the 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

Almost every joke in that trailer felt like it belonged back in the 60s. I hope it's just Pixar doing yet another bad trailer and not indicative of the rest of the movie.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

21 Muns posted:

I think that any parent that is trying to help their kid understand their homework should be rounded up and summarily executed

I also believe that it is an unquestionably good thing that mentally ill people spend untold hours editing stupid shipping videos

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The 60s had some great comedians though. Check out Buddy Hackett*.

*except for his racist stuff

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You know it's true because all the Slytherin children already knew tons of curses and hexes from their rich parents teaching them illegally which gave them a leg up on the other students, furthermore,

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well heard news the Lion King 'Active Action' is planning to cut Be Prepared, which makes absolutely no sense to me, I can understand wanting to change up the music, but what would they even replace Be Prepared with?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Maybe they are going to try and change up Scar in a more sympathetic way

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Maybe they are going to try and change up Scar in a more sympathetic way

Scarmonger.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

Well heard news the Lion King 'Active Action' is planning to cut Be Prepared, which makes absolutely no sense to me, I can understand wanting to change up the music, but what would they even replace Be Prepared with?

I very much doubt that's true, like, they cut nearly every other song out of Jungle Book but they still kept I Wanna Be Like You and a snippet of Bear Necessities.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love these.*

Here's one featuring Jane from Tarzan and Amelia from Treasure Planet, and the bad guy is the virus from Osmosis Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVKiBDMBHw

*Like, unironically. Setting aside any "cringe" about them, they're just so weirdly well edited that I can't help but be fascinated by them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Roth posted:

I love these.*

Here's one featuring Jane from Tarzan and Amelia from Treasure Planet, and the bad guy is the virus from Osmosis Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVKiBDMBHw

They are so well done and the character choice is always so weird I always sort of assume it has some hidden constraints that would make it make sense if I just knew it.

Like I can't imagine someone is picking the bad guy from osmosis jones because it's their dream team, it always feel like there is some reason he was easy to extract from scenes or that someone got all the animation frames somehow or one person worked to extract it then later a different person is picking from a list or something. I just can't believe that someone from scratch could be deciding "yes, this list of characters' instead of something about the process limiting who can be used.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could well be that a lot of these movies follow close enough story and dialogue beats it's really not that hard to mix-and-match.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thrax is cool

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

Could well be that a lot of these movies follow close enough story and dialogue beats it's really not that hard to mix-and-match.

Yeah, it feels like it's something. Not just someone sitting down in a blank project and then picking those three characters from scratch and declaring that the three roles and then starting work from there. It seems like there must be reasons some characters are more useable than others and people are mixing and matching from what they can get.

Like maybe the lead roles are the one true pairing and the artist puts the work on? And then Thrax is just from some collection someone made where they extracted every character? something like that always seems more likely than the person just being literally insane and picking three totally random people intentionally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's largely that the characters have scenes that match up well with each other.

Admittedly, I'm not sure why Thrax from Osmosis Jones would be chosen for that reason, and I'm basing this mostly on the fact that Jane and Amelia have scenes where they're on boats and have a love interest so they can make bedroom eyes at each other.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thrax is cool!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Roth posted:

Admittedly, I'm not sure why Thrax from Osmosis Jones would be chosen for that reason

I think the majority of the backgrounds in that movie were super simple, so it'd be easy to cut someone out?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the majority of the backgrounds in that movie were super simple, so it'd be easy to cut someone out?

Yeah, that could actually be it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Thrax is cool

Pick posted:

Thrax is cool!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I kind of wish we got that more "adult" version of Osmosis Jones that they originally planned before they cut it down to a PG.

I mean, that movie is already pretty dark for a kids movie with Thrax murdering a lot of cells in pretty painful looking ways.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Roth posted:

Yeah, that could actually be it.

Like maybe they wanted to have gaston or something that would actually make sense, then realized he was a red shirt in front of a bunch of red stuff and after half an hour of only getting 20 frames done decided to check their movie library for something easier. It just seems impossible that they picked thrax like, intentionally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They’re all angular designs and coordinate well in a shared universe (vs Gantu or some such). Also Thrax is cool.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

something like that always seems more likely than the person just being literally insane and picking three totally random people intentionally.

lol

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are we posting terrible animated movie ship fanvids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74sM7mtors

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Are we posting good animated film fanvids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6xk4W6N20

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ccs posted:

Wait, this is fanmade, not commissioned directly by Disney? Holy poo poo.

Also, I need to watch Hunchback again I think.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hunchback is great with the exception of one song. yeah you know which one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Hunchback is great with the exception of one song. yeah you know which one.

Resident "defender of the bad songs" here to defend that song as catchy AF :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Resident "defender of the bad songs" here to defend that song as catchy AF :colbert:

Resident Rhyme Police states that croissant doesn't rhyme like that :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Resident Rhyme Police states that croissant doesn't rhyme like that :argh:

"Adonis" and "Croissant is" totally rhyme!

edit: Though the song does take place at a very like, dire part of the movie similar to Frozen's bad song, I'll concede that

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Anybody else seen Early Man yet? Just got back from it, and can honestly say that it's not bad. I certainly don't think it's Aardman strongest work but still has their charm. Didn't entirely expect it to pretty much be a (just in case people are very nitpicky about this not-really spoiler) Football (Soccer) film. And as such it feels extraordinarily British, more so than ever, and probably hits harder if you actually watch Football. It kinda feels like Cars where the creative lead just made a film about his passion and ignored the audience all together. Not really uproarious, but still very pleasant.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait what the gently caress there's a new Aardman movie in theaters?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

If any song should be cut it should be “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”. As catchy as it is I can’t imagine it working with the live-action aesthetic they’re going for.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ccs posted:

I need to bite the bullet and watch Fantasia 2000

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

dirksteadfast posted:

If any song should be cut it should be “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”. As catchy as it is I can’t imagine it working with the live-action aesthetic they’re going for.

“Morning Report” better not be in it is all I’ll say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a bluray collection of the Disney Mickey Mouse (et al) and Merry Melody shorts? I have a Loony Toons bluray, but can't seem to easily find a similar thing for Disney shorts.