Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Anybody else seen Early Man yet? Just got back from it, and can honestly say that it's not bad. I certainly don't think it's Aardman strongest work but still has their charm. Didn't entirely expect it to pretty much be a (just in case people are very nitpicky about this not-really spoiler) Football (Soccer) film. And as such it feels extraordinarily British, more so than ever, and probably hits harder if you actually watch Football. It kinda feels like Cars where the creative lead just made a film about his passion and ignored the audience all together. Not really uproarious, but still very pleasant.

I saw it the other week and it's... okay? It was enjoyable, but it didn't really feel like a whole lot happened. Then again I'm not into football, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hey the new Duck Tales was great, let's see if we can resurrect another classic (?) TV series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-J156RQv0

C'mon Disney you can throw in a TIE Fighter in the opening credits like the old one.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

If any song should be cut it should be “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”. As catchy as it is I can’t imagine it working with the live-action aesthetic they’re going for.

Simba, to Zazu, without a hint of melody in his voice: "I just can't wait to be king :geno:"

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Anybody else seen Early Man yet? Just got back from it, and can honestly say that it's not bad. I certainly don't think it's Aardman strongest work but still has their charm. Didn't entirely expect it to pretty much be a (just in case people are very nitpicky about this not-really spoiler) Football (Soccer) film. And as such it feels extraordinarily British, more so than ever, and probably hits harder if you actually watch Football. It kinda feels like Cars where the creative lead just made a film about his passion and ignored the audience all together. Not really uproarious, but still very pleasant.

Saw it last week and was pretty disappointed, and a big chunk of that might have been that it wasn't really telegraphed as a sports story in the trailer at all from what I remember, but even on those terms it felt a little too predictable/standard. The only thing my friends and I laughed at was the giant mallard.

warez fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The live action Lion King wants to cut Be Prepared? Lmfao what a joke

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Soup du Jour posted:

“Morning Report” better not be in it is all I’ll say.

That's cut, they're only keeping four songs: Circle of Life, Can't Wait to Be King, Hakuna Matata, and Can You Feel the Love Tonight. The rest will be new, including songs written specifically for Beyonce.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't know what the big problem with "Morning Report" is

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

basically it's completely unnecessary - it's not in the original release of the movie, so it's very jarring in terms of pacing.

Secondly, along with adding the song, it also came with several animals redrawn to look more cartoony during crowd scenes, which did not look as good as the untouched versions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I must have seen Lion King a hundred times when I was a kid. I do not know what Morning Report is. Was that added to the DVD release?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robindaybird posted:

That's cut, they're only keeping four songs: Circle of Life, Can't Wait to Be King, Hakuna Matata, and Can You Feel the Love Tonight. The rest will be new, including songs written specifically for Beyonce.

Oh they cut one of their best villain songs but that’s okay because we still get to hear Seth Rogan sing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

starkebn posted:

I don't know what the big problem with "Morning Report" is

It's a bad song that sucks rear end

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Makes me wonder if the Aladdin film will toy with the songs to any degree.

I know somebody in here was disparaging how the Broadway show put in some of the Howard Ashman songs from the original, scrapped treatment for the film, but at the same time, having had some time to listen to them over and over again, I find "Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim" and "High Adventure" strangely fun to listen to. I expect the Broadway show is just very clumsy in their implementation (like, "High Adventure" is before Aladdin's second wish, and is the guys trying to rescue Aladdin from the dungeon only to get caught themselves, really? The lyrics make it sound like it's prior to the climactic fight with Jafar!); done right, I dunno, those could work pretty well. I mean, you'd have to rework the song to work around there only being one genie instead of two, but still... (Also, I can take or leave "How Quick They Forget" or "Proud of Your Boy"... they're just kind of "eh" to me.)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Dont really got anything to add just saw last post by shadow hog and wanted to say hi

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

Hey the new Duck Tales was great, let's see if we can resurrect another classic (?) TV series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-J156RQv0

C'mon Disney you can throw in a TIE Fighter in the opening credits like the old one.

The video is down now, what was it?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
are we still posting dope treasure planet fan videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA68KUb4e7Q

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The video is down now, what was it?

Oh that's lame. The video was the opening theme of the new Muppet Babies, that show that I watched that introduced me to a whole bunch of classic movies before I knew what they were. Hell, I'm reasonably certain I watched the show before I even knew who the Muppets were.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh that's lame. The video was the opening theme of the new Muppet Babies, that show that I watched that introduced me to a whole bunch of classic movies before I knew what they were. Hell, I'm reasonably certain I watched the show before I even knew who the Muppets were.

There's a few other videos kicking around. The animation looks a little stilted and stiff to me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVlaQYIdFA

The annoying thing is that they already had the puppets ready to go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QqwOQDK_s

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Muppet babies was a really bad show that always felt like it could have been good. Like it was muppets with star wars jokes sounds good and also sesame street proved muppets targeted at young audiences was viable, and it just wasn't good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Treasure Planet was dope as hell

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember watching Muppet Babies
all the time as a kid, but I don't really recall much of it besides the intro theme and constant Star Wars references back before I'd even watched Star Wars.

I also recall some mid-90s Muppet Show spin-off (Muppets Tonight, I think?), wherein one character wanted to play some Muppet Babies clips while another wanted to play clips from Seinfeld, and in their rush to get the tapes to the set, they ran into one another and somehow fused the tapes into Seinfeld Babies. Probably the only gag I remember from the show, actually...

Also, I should rewatch Treasure Planet sometime. I know I've seen it, but all I can say about it now is "yeah, I saw it it, it was aight".

ArfJason posted:

Dont really got anything to add just saw last post by shadow hog and wanted to say hi
hi

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

I also recall some mid-90s Muppet Show spin-off (Muppets Tonight, I think?), wherein one character wanted to play some Muppet Babies clips while another wanted to play clips from Seinfeld, and in their rush to get the tapes to the set, they ran into one another and somehow fused the tapes into Seinfeld Babies. Probably the only gag I remember from the show, actually...

Yeah it was a pretty good sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9dFl4ay_uc

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Crossposting from the kids show thread:

quote:

So in the news for things that don't look terrible, Disney just announced two new series today:

https://twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR/status/967067459474702336

"Deadline posted:

Created and executive produced by Matt Braly (Gravity Falls), Amphibia chronicles the adventures of Anne Boonchuy, a self-centered 13-year-old who is magically transported to the fictitious world of Amphibia, a rural marshland full of frog-people. With the help of an excitable young frog named Sprig, Anne will transform into a hero and discover the first true friendship of her life.

The Owl House, created and exec produced by Dana Terrace (DuckTales) is a horror-comedy series that follows Luz, a self-assured teenage human girl who accidentally stumbles upon a portal to the Demon Realm. There she befriends a rebellious witch, Eda, and an adorably tiny warrior, King. Despite not having magical abilities, Luz pursues her dream of becoming a witch by serving as Eda’s apprentice at the Owl House and ultimately finds a new family in an unlikely setting.

“Amphibia and The Owl House are both set in wildly imaginative worlds and share hallmarks of great Disney storytelling, including fantastical elements and memorable characters,” said Eric Coleman, SVP original programming and general manager of Disney Television Animation. “Matt and Dana each bring a unique sensibility to their shows unlike anything else on TV right now.”

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know why I keep posting trailers for reboots (no pun intended), but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

Edit: Anyone in the LA area may want to check this art exhibition out, although it looks like a lot of the art is pretty Mondo-esque: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2018/02/20/cyclops-print-works-tribute-to-disney-animation-television-gallery-nucleus/

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 23, 2018

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

GrandpaPants posted:

WHY.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Sonic live action film is looking pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/9IbLRMi.gifv

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

holy poo poo there's a joke about The Contest in there

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

They’re right, the original Reboot did have too much fun and too little high school drama. Glad they sorted out the balance for the new series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
“It’s gonna blow” is a phrase that’s in that trailer, 100% intentionally

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just added this production drawing by Deja to my collection :shobon:

Come on friends, you know the line he's saying! :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a few other videos kicking around. The animation looks a little stilted and stiff to me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVlaQYIdFA

The annoying thing is that they already had the puppets ready to go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QqwOQDK_s

I hope that's not approved animation. Their feet are sliding and they're not running at a consistent pace, like Fonzy enters frame super fast and then just slows on his first step and tracks linearly. The hang-time on all the characters when they jump is also wrong, and the camera movements are super clumsy. If that's what their promo work is looking like then the show animation will be abhorrent.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

ungulateman posted:

are we still posting dope treasure planet fan videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA68KUb4e7Q

I thought this was going to be the video where Anastasia from Cinderella falls in love with Jim Hawkins, but feels too self conscious of her looks so she gets plastic surgery and becomes Jessica Rabbit.

you know, this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiE9Iqa61NA

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

TheNamelessDoll, who also did that JaneXAmelia video posted earlier is actually an amazing editor, and a lot of her stuff is really good for shipping videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6K5x04ppig

This is one of my favorite ones of hers. The fact it even uses a clip from Eight Crazy Nights and makes it almost unnoticeable is amazing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So hey, I saw they uploaded The Breadwinner on Netflix and I watched it. As lovely as The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea looked, I've never had much desire to revisit them for the stories. Kinda found them meandering and lacking. I really enjoyed the story of The Breadwinner and thought it was their best articulated piece of storytelling yet. I've also got a real soft spot for Islamic culture and there were a lot of little bits that reminded me of my childhood: Waking up to the Fajr prayer, pretty girls with unibrows and even talk of brick-breakers.

It made me really nostalgic for the nice parts of living in an impoverished, terror-stricken Islamic country. :sigh:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Das Boo posted:

So hey, I saw they uploaded The Breadwinner on Netflix and I watched it. As lovely as The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea looked, I've never had much desire to revisit them for the stories. Kinda found them meandering and lacking. I really enjoyed the story of The Breadwinner and thought it was their best articulated piece of storytelling yet. I've also got a real soft spot for Islamic culture and there were a lot of little bits that reminded me of my childhood: Waking up to the Fajr prayer, pretty girls with unibrows and even talk of brick-breakers.

It made me really nostalgic for the nice parts of living in an impoverished, terror-stricken Islamic country. :sigh:

I remember reading the book about the Breadwinner in, I think, elementary school. I didn't know it got an adaptation. Definitely gonna have to check it out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

nerdman42 posted:

I remember reading the book about the Breadwinner in, I think, elementary school. I didn't know it got an adaptation. Definitely gonna have to check it out.

Oh, boop! That would explain the strength of the story!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This weekend I watched Coco and Trolls. Very different movies with contrasting strengths.

Coco Thoughts:

I thought that Coco used it's music to particularly good effect, it always served a real purpose. Like in the La Poco Loco scene, showing Miguel getting his confidence while performing for the first time. I loved that he starts with the same terrible mariachi yell from a few seconds earlier but the crowd doesn't give him a hard time about it - it gets them on his side because they don't care how he is, they want to see what he bringing to the table, and he's finally about to show them. Then the first few chords start as the song starts properly, and some great animation happens when Hector gets dragged into the scene and it culminates in Miguel finally bursting out a few good mariachi yells during the songs climax. It's a really cute and satisfying scene.

Also the movie's climax with the villain was really fun, with the Matriarch using her act to avoid the guards just out of sight on stage, then De La Cruz joining and turning a Tango into a literal power struggle as they each attempt to overpower each other through their dance. That was a really fun scene as well, with the Matriarch being reminded of how much she actually loved that poo poo back in the day. :3:

I also thought that the comedic bits had strong payoffs during the dramatic moments, like the Mariachi Yelling becoming a father-son bonding exercise to keep their spirits up at their lowest moments. ("I'm proud to be his family" was a really cool scene) or the pratfalls of Hector trying to cross the bridge in the start becoming heartbreaking in retrospect, then beautiful as he finally manages to cross hand in hand with his lost family.

Also the ending totally wrecked me, probably because my own grandma has been having (short-term) memory issues herself - not diagnosed with Alzheimers proper, but having trouble keeping up with what's going on.

Trolls Thoughts:

After a relatively weak start I really liked this one. The Jukebox Musical stuff felt well placed, and Clint Eastwood had me reeling because of how unexpected yet appropriate it was. I also liked the payoff that was there from Branch being grey, not just a character design thing but an actually interesting (although predictable) plot thing. Also Poppy trolling (:v:) him with Sound of Silence was cute, and I liked her original song too. The ending was really nice too, while leaving the Chef and Guru Troll free to return to try to get their revenge in a sequel, if that's the direction that they will go in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my name's quest for glory and i'm here to say
the BBC revolting rhymes is super gay

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Quest For Glory II posted:

my name's quest for glory and i'm here to say
the BBC revolting rhymes is super gay

I did think it was pretty telling though that they were so insistent on adhering to exactly what Dahl wrote that they knew they had to periodically cut away and, to be honest, I don't believe in the inherent purity of any original text. If the text is a problem fuckin change it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, I also thought the integration of the three little pigs was really unnecessary and seemed to add nothing. Also they had a bit with Riding Hood's kids at the end, and Snow White lives somewhere else, but I'm just gonna say they're adopted kids because everything up to that point with Red/Snow was gay as gently caress.

The other Oscar shorts... Negative Space was alright, Dear Basketball is gorgeous but extremely self-indulgent (on the part of Kobe), Lou was another solid Pixar entry, and I really enjoyed Garden Party a lot. I bet they give it to Negative Space or Lou, but I think they SHOULD give it to Garden Party because it balances the delicate line of realistic animals (and the uncanny valley) with cartoony actions, as well as sublime environmental storytelling.

ShortsTV's presentation of the shorts, though, had these weird as heck interstitials and.. they were extremely low-budget and I think they might've been better off finding animators on Vimeo for in-between material instead. They also chose to show the Highly Commended shorts at the end rather than the beginning, so instead of ending on a high note, the presentation literally shows you the stuff that wasn't good enough for nomination.. which is just weird, structurally. (I actually thought Weeds was okay, despite the odd Windows Movie Maker-esque intro/outro)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

People keep putting the Emoji Movie on in the break room at work.

Kill me.

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 27, 2018