Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

This drove me nuts, he shits on ryuji for months straight. Ryuji says one thing back and he sulks off. Go gently caress yourself I'll decide when I'm tired you stupid cat.
Worst part is ryuji wasnt even trying to be an rear end yet the game acts like hes the jerk in that situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

Worst part is ryuji wasnt even trying to be an rear end yet the game acts like hes the jerk in that situation

the game barely even cares

their entire snit is resolved without any kind of acknowledgement from either of them, which is somehow worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the game barely even cares

their entire snit is resolved without any kind of acknowledgement from either of them, which is somehow worse

i mean it is catalogued in the extensive list of ryuji is a "jerk" stuff that leads to him getting beaten up and punked on for no reason by his lovely friends

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Ryuji is real, and strong, and also my (best) friend

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I'm very near the end of this game and ended up liking it a lot more than I expected to. I generally hate JRPGs but everything about this game, from its art style to its slick battle system, really drew me in. I'm probably gonna jump right in NG+ to get the extra hidden stuff and finish up the remaining Confidants I didn't manage to finish this time around.

Are all the Persona games as good as this one? I was surprised to see P4 was actually a drat PS2 game. I hope it doesn't take that long for P6 to come out, though I heard this one had some development troubles so I guess that's why. I never played any SMT games either, should I get hype for SMT V on the Switch if I liked this?

Also I love rhythm games and this game's soundtrack loving owns so I'm unironically down for the dumb dancing game.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
remember that time ryuji almost died saving everyones lives and they all beat the poo poo out of him for it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BlackFrost posted:

I'm very near the end of this game and ended up liking it a lot more than I expected to. I generally hate JRPGs but everything about this game, from its art style to its slick battle system, really drew me in. I'm probably gonna jump right in NG+ to get the extra hidden stuff and finish up the remaining Confidants I didn't manage to finish this time around.

Are all the Persona games as good as this one? I was surprised to see P4 was actually a drat PS2 game. I hope it doesn't take that long for P6 to come out, though I heard this one had some development troubles so I guess that's why. I never played any SMT games either, should I get hype for SMT V on the Switch if I liked this?

Also I love rhythm games and this game's soundtrack loving owns so I'm unironically down for the dumb dancing game.

SMT is all about the dungeons and is much harder. 5 had me pick up SMTIV on the DS and it’s a real kick in the dick sometimes, but I like it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BlackFrost posted:

Mainline SMT is basically the same thing battle-wise but it completely excises the virtual novel/social stuff aspect in favor of more traditional RPG stuff with sidequests etc. Also your party is just the demons you catch/fuse from battle and you fighting with them. So if you like the combat system and stuff they're definitely worth checking out.

P4 is good, though the best version is Golden for PSVita and PSTV. It has a lot of mechanical updates over the original you'll be used to from P5.

P3 is pretty hard to go back to after P5, especially if you aren't playing the PSP version. P1 and 2 are completely different games, more like traditional SMT with a party instead of just you and your demons going out killing poo poo.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 22, 2018

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
P4G is really good mechanically, it plays a lot like 5 but man did I hate 90% of the characters and the setting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Expect P6 sometime in early 2028. In the interim, enjoy the P6 fighting game, P6 Etrian Odyssey reskin, a couple mobile spinoffs, and the P6 enhanced release with a couple new social links with side characters, an annoying fanfic insert character, and some weird school trips.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Expect P6 sometime in early 2028. In the interim, enjoy the P5 fighting game, P5 Etrian Odyssey reskin, a couple mobile spinoffs, and the P5 enhanced release with a couple new social links with side characters, an annoying fanfic insert character, and some weird school trips.

Fixed, but also P5 Dancing Star Night is already coming out this year :v:

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This drove me nuts, he shits on ryuji for months straight. Ryuji says one thing back and he sulks off. Go gently caress yourself I'll decide when I'm tired you stupid cat.

I'm actually having the opposite experience. Like, Ryuji I know you're a good guy and all but oh my god do you have brain damage? Did Kamoshida break your skull as well as your leg? You've almost gotten us caught like five times and actually did get us caught at least once, you just got lucky that it was Makoto. Morgana is the only one who ever dunks on him and I appreciate him for that.

I do like Ryuji outside of his role in the plot, full disclosure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bikindok posted:

I'm actually having the opposite experience. Like, Ryuji I know you're a good guy and all but oh my god do you have brain damage? Did Kamoshida break your skull as well as your leg? You've almost gotten us caught like five times and actually did get us caught at least once, you just got lucky that it was Makoto. Morgana is the only one who ever dunks on him and I appreciate him for that.

Yeah, this is basically how I feel as well.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Bikindok posted:

https://twitter.com/grandmarth/status/868663753646014464

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ryuji and Morgana are excellent examples of characters that mostly bring their troubles on themselves. Ryuji can't keep his voice down and almost exposes the Phantom Thieves, Morgana constantly self-owns by being a self centered dipshit, it's amazing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also the part where he's speaking so loudly into his phone that Makoto can hear him when he calls you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SMT is all about the dungeons and is much harder. 5 had me pick up SMTIV on the DS and it’s a real kick in the dick sometimes, but I like it.

I think I will enjoy the SMT games a lot more. I love making really broken Personas and the fight system. The story is alright, characters and writing is alright but my favorite parts have been the dungeon which might be the opposite of most people. The higher level personas look so awesome and getting some really broken passives on them + no weakness is really fun. Freaking Pale Rider is straight up the grim reaper riding a horse. Getting Nazgul vibes from it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

This isnt just ryuji tho. They all do stupid poo poo when it comes to discussing their phantom thievery. Strategy meetings in public are the worst example but barely an ingame week goes by where they won't clearly cock up in some other way. They're really lucky what they're doing is so outlandish almost no one will believe it. Cuz they keep doing poo poo like magically appearing in public in the middle of a crowd of understandably stunned and curious onlookers.

Kids clearly arent that hot at keeping poo poo on the DL.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nathilus posted:

ICEphoEnix,

THE TraSH TALKiNG poo poo eatING SINneR of SHADE. YoU HAVe casUAllY InsULTed a BRah wHO NevER did NUthIN to YOu. WE HavE DeCIDed to MAKE yOU cOnFESS YouR SINS wITH your OWn mOuTH. we WILL TAKe Ur disTORTed HeaRT WIThouT FAiL.

ThE gAY AGEnDa

:emptyquote:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

P4G is really good mechanically, it plays a lot like 5 but man did I hate 90% of the characters and the setting.

I don't see what you could have found so unbearable about it??

edit:

BlackFrost posted:

Seriously though I bought a Vita to play P4G and P3P after being dazzled by 5 and I was not disappointed. P4 Golden is every bit P5's equal tbh. 3 isn't quite as good as either of them but it turns out not being quite as good as P4 and P5 still makes you a real fuckin good game so play it anyway

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 22, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Let me play Nocturne on PS4, Sony/Atlus

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

edit:

Seriously though I bought a Vita to play P4G and P3P after being dazzled by 5 and I was not disappointed. P4 Golden is every bit P5's equal tbh. 3 isn't quite as good as either of them but it turns out not being quite as good as P4 and P5 still makes you a real fuckin good game so play it anyway

I have a PS2 still but it seems the Golden version is the definitive one. I don't know what "PSTV" is but I sold my Vita years ago because there was basically nothing that interested me on it and I don't know if I'm really down to buy another one. How much do they even go for these days?

e: Just googled, holy poo poo they're still selling these things for over $200??? Wow.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Pstv is a vita you can play on your tv, they're real cheap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrightWing posted:

Pstv is a vita you can play on your tv, they're real cheap.

Yeah, google shopping is showing used ones for 8-10 bucks. Hmmm.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah the PSTV has some problems but I've heard it's a good cheap "let me play P4 Golden" box so it might be what you're looking for

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Most of the main cast is really poorly written IMO. Rise is a weeb wank fantasy. Teddie is annoying. Chie is annoying. Yosuke is the worst "best friend" Persona Bro by far, he's got nothing on Junpei or Ryuji. Kanji, Naoto, and Yukiko are cool. And in terms of setting I don't wanna write a huge wall about it, but it's 100x more anime than P3 or P5. I really got sick of hearing senpai every other sentence. The way the entire cast treats the MC in P4 is like some kind of mary sue self insert fantasy.

P4G is mechanically great, it's almost as refined as 5. I don't want anyone to think I'm totally bagging on it. I still played the whole drat game and I'll probably do a NG+ someday. I just didn't enjoy a lot of the characters compared to 3 or 5.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Yosuke in P4 is made far better by the unused dialog that shows he’s got a serious crush on the protagonist. It’s treated pretty nicely and I wish they’d used it for the actual game; it would have been nice and added some depth to his weird freakouts in Kanji’s Sauna...projection much?

For those that haven’t heard:
https://youtu.be/0Ogh3mdPHsA

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

"FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I really got sick of hearing senpai every other sentence. The way the entire cast treats the MC in P4 is like some kind of mary sue self insert fantasy

I mean that applies to the other Persona MCs too?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Sounds like PSTV is the way to go. I'll probably pick it up some time this year, got some other games to get through in my backlog first. Thanks, thread!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Most of the main cast is really poorly written IMO. Rise is a weeb wank fantasy. Teddie is annoying. Chie is annoying. Yosuke is the worst "best friend" Persona Bro by far, he's got nothing on Junpei or Ryuji. Kanji, Naoto, and Yukiko are cool. And in terms of setting I don't wanna write a huge wall about it, but it's 100x more anime than P3 or P5. I really got sick of hearing senpai every other sentence. The way the entire cast treats the MC in P4 is like some kind of mary sue self insert fantasy.

P4G is mechanically great, it's almost as refined as 5. I don't want anyone to think I'm totally bagging on it. I still played the whole drat game and I'll probably do a NG+ someday. I just didn't enjoy a lot of the characters compared to 3 or 5.

I mostly just wanted to make a beary bad joke

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Help my cat wont let me out of the attic for liek a week straight now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

The way the entire cast treats the MC in P4 is like some kind of mary sue self insert fantasy.

There's some of this in 5 too. I don't know what exactly Joker did to earn himself the 'fearless leader' title but everyone seems to fawn over his every thought.

Also holding the meetings on that public walkway in loving Shibuya was the dumbest poo poo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

There's some of this in 5 too. I don't know what exactly Joker did to earn himself the 'fearless leader' title but everyone seems to fawn over his every thought.

Word but here's my self-constructed excuse. That's part of the power of the fool. As much better-voiced igor said back in the day, its like the number zero. Empty yet holding infinite possibility. This doesnt just apply to persona powers. Its relevent to the role of the fool in the major arcana.

It's the fools job to go on a journey and meet the various archetypal figures, gaining self-knowledge as a result of each meeting and eventually reaching enlightenment/apotheosis/completion/whatever.

If you need a better reason as to why all these people treat him like hot poo poo than "thats the way the story goes its been like that for hundreds of years", then think about the social utility of being a blank slate who people can use as a mirror. It does in fact work irl.

But yeah end of the day anime protag.

quote:

Also holding the meetings on that public walkway in loving Shibuya was the dumbest poo poo.

And yet everyone gives ryuji poo poo when they collectively get caught being dumb asses!!!!!

RYUJI DID NOTHING WRONG.

(HES A LITTLE LOUD THO!!!!!!!)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ryuji is my bro, Ryuji is my best friend, our bond is unbreakablr he's also the first Confidant I maxed out so the first time he pushed me out of the way to take a fatal hit that was intended for me I got a little emotional

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I really got sick of hearing senpai every other sentence. The way the entire cast treats the MC in P4 is like some kind of mary sue self insert fantasy.

the persona 5 mc can gently caress multiple adults who drop everything to hop on his dick, makoto immediately cedes absolute authority to him even though she takes total command of everyone else, he's the only person futaba feels comfortable around from the start. what differentiates him from the persona 4 protag. is it literally just the word senpai.

also it is really not more 'anime' than persona 3 or 5 lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

the persona 5 mc can gently caress multiple adults who drop everything to hop on his dick, makoto immediately cedes absolute authority to him even though she takes total command of everyone else, he's the only person futaba feels comfortable around from the start. what differentiates him from the persona 4 protag. is it literally just the word senpai.

also it is really not more 'anime' than persona 3 or 5 lol

Because everyone else distrusts him, duh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because everyone else distrusts him, duh.

i mean all the adults in persona 4 give the p4 protag poo poo. like mooroka.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mooroka is kinda mean to everyone.

Kashiwagi/Sayano are creepers but again, to everyone.

Adachi is Adachi.

Dojima is overworked and overstressed but otherwise pleasant enough.

Emi and Hisano are nice enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In the west if a student was transferred because he had a criminal record for assaulting a sex criminal he'd be the most beloved kid in the school.

Japan's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Except as far as the world knows, he just randomly assaulted a guy on the street for no reason.