Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

boner confessor posted:

she was gossiping with a friend in what she thought was privacy. discretion would be a good idea here but it's not like she called him babydick to his face

Gossip sucks just don't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

datajugend posted:

he smiled at another women lol

Do y'all remember that one where the woman was writing how she's starting to despise her husband because he's a hollow shell of a human with no real persona; and her evidence was how socially graceful he was and genuinely kind, successful and adaptable he was and she just couldn't stand it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

tactlessbastard posted:

Do y'all remember that one where the woman was writing how she's starting to despise her husband because he's a hollow shell of a human with no real persona; and her evidence was how socially graceful he was and genuinely kind, successful and adaptable he was and she just couldn't stand it?

No, somebody post it

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax
I [23/F] exploded at my mom [50s/F] over my name, it’s causing a lot of drama and mess

My parents are “creative” types. My 3 siblings (2 younger brothers and a younger sister) and I all have “creative” names. I’m named after a reptile, my sister (19) is named after a part of the brain, my brother (17) is named after a fish, and my youngest brother (16) is named just a weird name- but he’s got the most traditional name of us all. We all hate our names- we talk about it plenty. Most of us have gone by nicknames our entire lives, and I know I plan to change my name before I get married. My mom and I don’t get along very well, we butt heads a lot, but my sister is a mama’s girl and has never gone by a nickname because my mom says it’s “disrespectful” to the name she was given. Which, again, my sister hates. My brothers are closer to my dad (as am I), but my mom has like a “dominant personality”, so they listen to her and respect her. I don’t. My mom runs from her responsibilities, calls it hands off parenting, and doesn’t give any of us a shred of the respect she wants us to give her. Sure, sometimes I like her, but I haven’t loved my mom for a while. I tolerate her and I do what I need to do to maintain contact with my siblings, but no, I don’t love my mom. I could go into all our issues, but I won’t. It’s not the point.

I got serious with my boyfriend recently, and he wanted to meet my family. Of course, I got talked into spending a whole week with them, starting on Saturday. I only agreed because my parents are both still working and my mom facilitates extracurriculars afterschool (she’s a teacher). They live in a nice area, so I figured we could do other things. On Tuesday, we decided to have a family dinner because it was the one night my mom wasn’t busy. It was the first time we’d had a real conversation since I was in college, and she kept calling me by my real name. Everyone at the table was using my nickname. My boyfriend has only ever called me by my nickname- I keep my real name under wraps, although I did plan to tell him before I went to change it. I seriously hate my name that much. Of course, he got curious and started asking what my mom was talking about thinking it might be some kind of nickname because I’m named after a literal REPTILE. And she starts going on about how she slaved over baby name lists, how she had a stroke of inspiration while at the zoo, how much the name meant to her, and how selfish I am to go by a nickname. I just exploded. I told her how much I hate my name, how humiliating it is, and how selfish she is to have given us all names that got us bullied and harassed. I kept going and talked about how much I can’t stand her, how she treats her students like more of her children than she treats me like her kid. It was just complete word vomit, and my mom started crying, my dad kicked me and my BF out without any of our stuff.

We don’t have any clothes. My dad and my mom won’t let us come to the house- they threaten to call the cops- and won’t even toss our bags onto the street so we don’t even have money or our tickets back home. Hell, the only reason I have my phone and charger is because I grabbed them from the kitchen on the way out. My siblings are “forbidden” from seeing me, but I got a text from my brother saying that our mom has been interrogating them about whether or not they think she’s a bad mom and telling them they should all change their names. She flipped out when my younger brother said he didn’t mind going by his name, and went on a rampage about how she made us all targets and all this poo poo that was totally true but she was obviously trying to make them disagree with? Our dad is totally taking it, and even participates. They’re on this warpath and it’s my fault and my siblings are miserable. I also can’t get home, so I’m staying with a friend of mine for the indefinite future. My boyfriend is being a complete trooper and I’m grateful to have him, but I know this is putting a lot of wear on him. Basically- how do I get this to a place where I can get my parents to chill out so it doesn’t get worse for my siblings? And how do I get home? How do I just make this better? Is it worth it to talk to my mom?

TL;DR: I blew up at my mom, she’s gone on a complete rampage

EDIT: I’m going to get in touch with police, but since people are curious- I’m Chameleon, my sister is Sulci, my brother is Guppy (he goes by G.H. - his first and middle initials), and my youngest brother is Upton (like the author- he goes by Tony).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hahaha, i saw that one earlier but didn't see she revealed the names. I was sure her sister was "sarah" (cerebellum) or "amy" (amygdala). Sulci???

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Squashing Machine posted:

It's not a tenable situation that will lead anywhere good but it's really on her to do the heavy emotional lifting of getting past this blow, if it's recoverable at all.
I agree, but how can she do that if he's not willing to discuss it at all? It seems like he's totally done with her, he just needs to actually break up with her imo.

"things have changed for him and how he sees the relationship and he's doing what's comfortable for him" = "I hate you now but I'm going to use you until I find someone else" imo

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

andrew smash posted:

Hahaha, i saw that one earlier but didn't see she revealed the names. I was sure her sister was "sarah" (cerebellum) or "amy" (amygdala). Sulci???

I'm amazed it wasn't Guppy who cracked first.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Brain names:
Hippocampus
Vermis
Uncus
Ventricle
Aqueduct
Foramen
Meninges
Arachnoid
Geniculate
Ganglia
Nucleus
Lobe
Gyrus

And many others!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Galaxy Brain posted:

I'm amazed it wasn't Guppy who cracked first.

Guppy is gonna end up with fragile masculinity problems that put tiny dick boyfriend to shame. I think I actually like Chameleon the best out of all those terrible names.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

boner confessor posted:

she was gossiping with a friend in what she thought was privacy. discretion would be a good idea here but it's not like she called him babydick to his face

Gossiping about your partner's privates to your friends is still a lovely thing to do and probably means you're either 14 or never really developed emotionally past that point.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

andrew smash posted:

Brain names:
Hippocampus
Vermis
Uncus
Ventricle
Aqueduct
Foramen
Meninges
Arachnoid
Geniculate
Ganglia
Nucleus
Lobe
Gyrus

And many others!

I think "Sulci" got the brain name, since that apparently means "groove or furrow." That at least sounds like it could be a normal non-english name until you look it up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Galaxy Brain posted:

I [23/F] exploded at my mom [50s/F] over my name, it’s causing a lot of drama and mess

My parents are “creative” types. My 3 siblings (2 younger brothers and a younger sister) and I all have “creative” names. I’m named after a reptile, my sister (19) is named after a part of the brain, my brother (17) is named after a fish, and my youngest brother (16) is named just a weird name- but he’s got the most traditional name of us all. We all hate our names- we talk about it plenty. Most of us have gone by nicknames our entire lives, and I know I plan to change my name before I get married. My mom and I don’t get along very well, we butt heads a lot, but my sister is a mama’s girl and has never gone by a nickname because my mom says it’s “disrespectful” to the name she was given. Which, again, my sister hates. My brothers are closer to my dad (as am I), but my mom has like a “dominant personality”, so they listen to her and respect her. I don’t. My mom runs from her responsibilities, calls it hands off parenting, and doesn’t give any of us a shred of the respect she wants us to give her. Sure, sometimes I like her, but I haven’t loved my mom for a while. I tolerate her and I do what I need to do to maintain contact with my siblings, but no, I don’t love my mom. I could go into all our issues, but I won’t. It’s not the point.

I got serious with my boyfriend recently, and he wanted to meet my family. Of course, I got talked into spending a whole week with them, starting on Saturday. I only agreed because my parents are both still working and my mom facilitates extracurriculars afterschool (she’s a teacher). They live in a nice area, so I figured we could do other things. On Tuesday, we decided to have a family dinner because it was the one night my mom wasn’t busy. It was the first time we’d had a real conversation since I was in college, and she kept calling me by my real name. Everyone at the table was using my nickname. My boyfriend has only ever called me by my nickname- I keep my real name under wraps, although I did plan to tell him before I went to change it. I seriously hate my name that much. Of course, he got curious and started asking what my mom was talking about thinking it might be some kind of nickname because I’m named after a literal REPTILE. And she starts going on about how she slaved over baby name lists, how she had a stroke of inspiration while at the zoo, how much the name meant to her, and how selfish I am to go by a nickname. I just exploded. I told her how much I hate my name, how humiliating it is, and how selfish she is to have given us all names that got us bullied and harassed. I kept going and talked about how much I can’t stand her, how she treats her students like more of her children than she treats me like her kid. It was just complete word vomit, and my mom started crying, my dad kicked me and my BF out without any of our stuff.

We don’t have any clothes. My dad and my mom won’t let us come to the house- they threaten to call the cops- and won’t even toss our bags onto the street so we don’t even have money or our tickets back home. Hell, the only reason I have my phone and charger is because I grabbed them from the kitchen on the way out. My siblings are “forbidden” from seeing me, but I got a text from my brother saying that our mom has been interrogating them about whether or not they think she’s a bad mom and telling them they should all change their names. She flipped out when my younger brother said he didn’t mind going by his name, and went on a rampage about how she made us all targets and all this poo poo that was totally true but she was obviously trying to make them disagree with? Our dad is totally taking it, and even participates. They’re on this warpath and it’s my fault and my siblings are miserable. I also can’t get home, so I’m staying with a friend of mine for the indefinite future. My boyfriend is being a complete trooper and I’m grateful to have him, but I know this is putting a lot of wear on him. Basically- how do I get this to a place where I can get my parents to chill out so it doesn’t get worse for my siblings? And how do I get home? How do I just make this better? Is it worth it to talk to my mom?

TL;DR: I blew up at my mom, she’s gone on a complete rampage

EDIT: I’m going to get in touch with police, but since people are curious- I’m Chameleon, my sister is Sulci, my brother is Guppy (he goes by G.H. - his first and middle initials), and my youngest brother is Upton (like the author- he goes by Tony).

At least she's going to get the police involved since her emotionally insecure mother has stolen her property over a name lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Clark Nova posted:

Guppy is gonna end up with fragile masculinity problems that put tiny dick boyfriend to shame. I think I actually like Chameleon the best out of all those terrible names.

What do you even go by at that point? Cham, pronounced Cam?

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Batterypowered7 posted:

She said she goes by "Cal," which is kinda cool. I knew a girl who went by that because her real name was Calla Lilly, which is still on the "naming children like they're pets" spectrum but not nearly as bad.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I recently read an article about how parents who give their children really weird names are narcissists with no sense of empathy. They give no consideration to the person who will have to go through life with that name.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Probably Cami, like in Street Fighter.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

I recently read an article about how parents who give their children really weird names are narcissists with no sense of empathy. They give no consideration to the person who will have to go through life with that name.

I totally believe that could be true. Girls are much more likely to get goofy names than boys, and I've always suspected it's because their parents are bad at imagining their daughters to grow up to be supreme court justices and stuff. They'll just say tiny and cute forever so why not name her Bitsy! :downs:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

andrew smash posted:

No, somebody post it

I don't remember specifics but there have been several where the OP describes someone who adapts how they act depending on context/audience, you know like most people do. The Reddit response is almost always "holy poo poo your SO is a textbook sociopath, you probably don't even know the person behind the mask, sever"

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

I don't remember specifics but there have been several where the OP describes someone who adapts how they act depending on context/audience, you know like most people do. The Reddit response is almost always "holy poo poo your SO is a textbook sociopath, you probably don't even know the person behind the mask, sever"

Hi reddit I'm pretty sure I'm a sociopath because I'm extremely smart and also one time I didn't laugh at a movie when other people are laughing. My mother is a narcissist who abuses me by making me clean my room, my boyfriend is forty years older than me and keeps calling me by his granddaughter's name, also all of us are supertasters. Breaking up is NOT an option.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree, but how can she do that if he's not willing to discuss it at all? It seems like he's totally done with her, he just needs to actually break up with her imo.

"things have changed for him and how he sees the relationship and he's doing what's comfortable for him" = "I hate you now but I'm going to use you until I find someone else" imo

Yeah, she hosed up majorly, but if he's not going to put the effort into forgiving her, he should just dump her.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Boyfriend (m19) is angry at me (18f) for the birthday gift I arranged? [5 months]

quote:

u/pizza-problem

Today was my bf's birthday, we've only been together a few months but in that time I learned he really loves pizza. He gets it at least a couple times a week. I decided since he's so obsessed I'd get him a delivery to his house of 50 pizzas. Tonight we'd already planned a small party with his roommates and a few other friends so some of it would be dinner. Me and everyone else contributed to the cost.

So we were all there and the pizzas came. My bf was first confused then I explained it was my surprise gift and everyone was laughing. I thought he'd think it was great. But he suddenly became really annoyed and saying things like "What am I gonna do with 50 loving pizzas"

Later when I said I thought he'd like it, because he loves pizza so much, he said "yeah but this is ridiculous, why would you do that? Where am I going to put it all?'

We all ate I think 6 of them tonight, leaving way many more leftover than I thought...and I realized how I'd hosed up, I thought he'd just freeze the rest but there wasn't enough room....I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. I don't know if I assumed we'd eat more or just didn't have an idea how massive an amount 50 pizzas is, I don't know, I really don't it seemed like the perfect gift idea.

Now he doesn't know where to put like, 30+ extra pizzas that don't fit in the freezer. They are just sitting in stacks on the floor and there's this loving tower of pizza, my bf is pissed and I'm so embarrassed I did such a stupid thing.

How can I help, or make it up to him??

tl;dr: I greatly over estimated how much pizza my boyfriend would like as a birthday gift. He's mad about potential waste, and all these pizzas piled up in his living room.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It is because he loves the pizza that he hates to see it so wasted, I empathize with him.

edit: You could actually store them as long you didn't care about them keeping their original shape. Reform them into pizza cubes and you can fit more than you think.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
huh a proper dumb person

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

girl pants posted:

Boyfriend (m19) is angry at me (18f) for the birthday gift I arranged? [5 months]

This is like the fat guy version of Shocktopus.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Good Parmesan posted:

Crosspost from Bad With Money thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5z8891/college_student_completely_cut_off_with_two_weeks/
College Student Completely cut off with two weeks notice

I want to go back to this one because geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. I know she's probably suffering from the heat of the moment, but she's on the path to nuking her future for a guy with a kid who just got arrested over an unpaid parking ticket.

Galaxy Brain posted:

Moms be crazy, yo. Also, lol just lol to parents who do this to their kids. It's one of the most hosed up things they can do. "Gee, I just brought my little angel into the world. What should I do to show that I will always love this bundle of joy forever? Oh, I know! I'll name you after a tiny fish!" If you can't fully suppress the autism/sadism responsible for this poo poo, at least be decent enough to put it as the middle name. Hell, the mom could have named her kid "Karma Chameleon."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it wrong to be concerned with the amount of sexual partners my (40F) son (18M) seems to be having? He seems to have a new girlfriend every week, sometimes more. I am not really sure how to deal with this anymore.

quote:

My son is a handsome kid, and always has been. At 18, he could pass for 23 or older, and we always figured that he would have a few girlfriends or be the popular kid. But recently, its been getting out of hand. I give him SOMEWHAT permission to have friends or girls over to the basement. I always know when people go down there (we can hear him sneaking them in through the backyard).

So for the past year or so, it has just been constant girls coming over. Like, in the past week, he has had I believe 5 girls come. For him, his 'passing time' is having random girls come over and sleeping with them.

I don't know whether this is normal for a boy his age. I grew up in a strict christian household, stuff like that was not even in my field of view, but his sexual life seems to be really, really expansive. I would say he brings girls over, sometimes the same girl but usually not, 3-5 times a week. He sleeps down there, and I often have to wake him up for work and I go down and hes sleeping naked with some girl on the couch at least half the time.

I just don't know if this is normal or not. I should mention my husband died 2 years ago, so I cant exactly go to him for advice.

He also drinks alcohol and smokes pot, but that I don't really care about. I mean, hes 18 years old. A cop catches him with either of those things the worst he can get nowadays is a 50 dollar ticket or better, a slap on the wrist.

But more in terms of the women, is that normal? Is this something I should care about?

tl;dr: Son seems to have a very over the top sex life with many multiple partners. Not sure if I should say something to him or not.

Mom stop cockblocking your son.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Galaxy Brain posted:

I totally believe that could be true. Girls are much more likely to get goofy names than boys, and I've always suspected it's because their parents are bad at imagining their daughters to grow up to be supreme court justices and stuff. They'll just say tiny and cute forever so why not name her Bitsy! :downs:

I think way too much about names for characters, pets and Pokemon, so I'm already shortlisting names for when I have a kid of my own in a couple years.

I try to think of names that will age well, and can also be shortened or have an opportunity for a good nickname. A name that is uncommon enough to be distinct and memorable, but not too ".weird".

I might give them a weird middle name though. Like Persephone or Adonis. Those are names that can be embraced or ignored depending on preference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He (21M) keeps drinking all of my (21F) whiskey!!

quote:

My best friend bought me a large bottle of Fireball. We always do nice, quirky things for eachother. And I was so thankful that she went out of her way to do something for me, like she's always thankful for what I do for her. After all, she's my best friend. We have everything in common, including our first names.

I took three shots on the first day I had the bottle, and then put it in the cupboard for safekeeping. Now, two days later, I go to open the cupboard to take a quick shot to take edge off. The bottle has less than three shots in it. My fiancée (dating for two years) has literally been sneaking my liquor, and never mentioned it to me. It would be different if he had asked, but no. This isn't the first time this has happened, but this frustrates me the most because he didn't buy it. It was a gift from my best friend. What do I do? I talked to him about it several times in the past, but to no avail.

TL;DR: My fiancée demolished my bottle of Fireball without even mentioning it to me.

I'm looking through the comments to see if anyone has criticized them for their taste in alcohol. I did see someone point out that she clearly also has a drinking problem and seems less upset about his consumption level and more about not being able to do the same.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it wrong to be concerned with the amount of sexual partners my (40F) son (18M) seems to be having? He seems to have a new girlfriend every week, sometimes more. I am not really sure how to deal with this anymore.

She needs to be talking to that kid about STDs and birth control before she ends up with a bunch of hot grandchildren

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HIJK posted:

At least she's going to get the police involved since her emotionally insecure mother has stolen her property over a name lol

Could be worse - she could have been named Chameleon after a Piers Anthony novel.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Mom is totes jelly that her son is getting more action than her.

Nessa posted:

I think way too much about names for characters, pets and Pokemon, so I'm already shortlisting names for when I have a kid of my own in a couple years.

I try to think of names that will age well, and can also be shortened or have an opportunity for a good nickname. A name that is uncommon enough to be distinct and memorable, but not too ".weird".

I might give them a weird middle name though. Like Persephone or Adonis. Those are names that can be embraced or ignored depending on preference.

See, this is the right way to go about it. Fancy names like Thaïs, Tonauac, or Ariel are cool and good as middle names, not as first ones.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Ariel is a perfectly good first name

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

tractor fanatic posted:

I like it and if I ever have a daughter my first instinct is to push for that name. At the same time, other people's kids can be horrible little shits, and I don't want to give them any fodder to bully my kid. I'll just stick with Mulva or Dolores.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh wow I didn't know my mom uses reddit

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like it and if I ever have a daughter my first instinct is to push for that name. At the same time, other people's kids can be horrible little shits, and I don't want to give them any fodder to bully my kid. I'll just stick with Mulva or Dolores.

Imagine going to school as a little kid and hearing "part of your wooooorld" every day from the first day of Kindergarten to High School graduation day.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My kids are getting gaidhlig names, it's been discussed.

Only problem is up here some of those have "reputations" (looking at you, Sinéad).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tractor fanatic posted:

This was your time.

Also Guppy :psyduck:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I wouldn't even name a Chihuahua Guppy for fear of emasculating him. That mom is loving psycho.

My mom almost named me Brooke, which isn't bad at all but is very stripper-ey. You just take a huge risk with exotic names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Galaxy Brain posted:

I think "Sulci" got the brain name, since that apparently means "groove or furrow." That at least sounds like it could be a normal non-english name until you look it up.

Oh yeah, I know. I was just listing brain anatomy names I like better. Also, even if nobody knew that kid was named after brain grooves, Sulci definitely became Sucky in like 6th grade max