Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BvS has a lot of problems but it's only incoherent if you actually are not paying attention. And in fact, the characters DO explicitly say many of the things that people complain about, like "Why does Luther hate Superman?"

Even if theoretically Batman's armor wouldn't have stopped Superman, the armor is part of being Batman. The armor has been helping him beat up non-aliens for years. When he goes out Batmaning, he wears the armor. It's an expensive gadget just like his Batarang or the Kryptonite gas bombs.

He's not Bruce Wayne fighting Superman, he's Batman fighting Superman.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCloud posted:

Bp is the wonder woman of marvel
Movie Mustache Fight!!!

vs.

EDIT:

NTRabbit posted:

He can easily punch a hole in him with the armour on too, it doesn't actually serve any purpose at all beyond being a callback to a comic it was lifted from without context, and if you haven't seen the comic/cartoon first it makes even less sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SiuQxhAjg&t=105s
What do you think generally happens to an unprotected human body when it's hit by forces like these?

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McCloud posted:

Wonder woman was the opposite, all the stuff about her and her island were great, the villains sucked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

movies should stop doing car chases they're almost always boring.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

^Agreed. The last great car chase was done in Bourne Identity. Everyone else should just stop doing them.

McCloud posted:

Diana is a more compelling character than T'Challa. WW also has the better story, and way better action. No set piece in BP even comes close to No Man's Land. The only thing BP does better are its villains imo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

Black Panther was ok. 3rd act sucked hard. Media overhyped the movie for me; it really just felt like the same old MCU stuff. The CG and action set pieces were really bad though. Really bad. I lol'd at the armored rhinos. Killmonger and Klaw were the best thing about the movie. Everything else is pretty forgettable imo.

I guess they drove through Gotham's abandoned city district.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whedon never came up with a story because he was too busy thinking of the barely-legal actress he could be sleeping with.

Snowman_McK posted:

Okay. I don't know how that relates to Black Panther.

The Black Panther movie should have been the Arabian Knight movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

teagone posted:

^Agreed. The last great car chase was done in Bourne Identity. Everyone else should just stop doing them.

agreed. even when i rewatch movies i like i'll just skip past the car chases.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
you guys are forgetting Fast Five. Don't do that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Baby Driver was fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

you guys are forgetting Fast Five. Don't do that.

Those aren't car chases. The cars are characters themselves in the Fast movies. They're like Iron Man suits for the characters.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Baby Driver was fun.

Baby Driver was more a musical to me than an action movie. Doesn't count in this debate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

How exactly is this an MCU thing and not just a common trope of car chases?

Its how blatant the MCU is about it, and how very consistent they are about it. I mean, we're 18 movies in now, and the films will wrap themselves in extremely convoluted knots to make sure no civilian is ever even really implied to have been hurt. And while you can point to absurdities like Fast 6's empty London streets, the streets are established as empty, rather than crowded, except for the massive stretch that the car crash happens in, or that the hulk and hulkbuster suit tumble through, or every single spot an alien laser blast hits.

Groovelord Neato posted:

movies should stop doing car chases they're almost always boring.

:staredog:

To be honest, I felt like this too until I started watching chases where they wreck heaps of poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

teagone posted:

Those aren't car chases. The cars are characters themselves in the Fast movies. They're like Iron Man suits for the characters.

Yes, all good car chases are like this. You talked about Bourne Identity so I'll point out it's a dinky little unassuming car outfoxing hordes of faceless more powerful authority cars. That's the iconography of the whole movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Its how blatant the MCU is about it, and how very consistent they are about it. I mean, we're 18 movies in now, and the films will wrap themselves in extremely convoluted knots to make sure no civilian is ever even really implied to have been hurt.

eeeeeexcept civil war where they reneged on this for about half a minute and told us actually plenty of people died in the movie where tony stark's magic computer safely directs him and the hulk away from civilians

it's amazing how much more i revile that movie as time goes on

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Do races count as car chases?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsdcBacV2U

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

It also did the traditional MCU thing of a high speed car wreck going straight through a waterside cafe in the middle of Seoul without hitting anybody. Because every civilian in the Marvel universe has a teleporter.

They played that stupid car commercial right before the movie when I saw it. I assumed it was actually just an ad, but no, it was essentially the sequence from the film.

yeah dude it would have been so sick if black panther's woke sister just mowed down a bunch of korean civilians; this movie would have been had more meaning if it was full of koreans screaming in pain from broken legs after they got crushed by a car. Truly Marvels greatest sin is not killing enough bystanders, like in the critically acclaimed Man of Steel where superman's dad tells him to let a bus of kids drown

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
The chase in To Live and Die in LA is fantastic. It even has a twist ending.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

yeah dude it would have been so sick if black panther's woke sister just mowed down a bunch of korean civilians; this movie would have been had more meaning if it was full of koreans screaming in pain from broken legs after they got crushed by a car. Truly Marvels greatest sin is not killing enough bystanders, like in the critically acclaimed Man of Steel where superman's dad tells him to let a bus of kids drown
C'mon, Clark even saved the bus! Therefore Marvel movie fans should love that scene.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snowman_McK posted:

Its how blatant the MCU is about it, and how very consistent they are about it. I mean, we're 18 movies in now, and the films will wrap themselves in extremely convoluted knots to make sure no civilian is ever even really implied to have been hurt. And while you can point to absurdities like Fast 6's empty London streets, the streets are established as empty, rather than crowded, except for the massive stretch that the car crash happens in, or that the hulk and hulkbuster suit tumble through, or every single spot an alien laser blast hits.

Can you point me to a specific example of a car chase scene set in a populated city that (somehow) avoids this trope?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That whole sequence is so incredibly well done. A great film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd be the biggest otaku on earth if all animes looked like redline.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best thing about that car chase trope is that it's about avoiding pedestrians but does not apply to grievous injury or death for any one who's in other cars. Especially cops. It'll go completely unremarked upon if several cars' worth of innocent people are annihilated. I think the chase through the tunnel in Ronin is great for this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

eeeeeexcept civil war where they reneged on this for about half a minute and told us actually plenty of people died in the movie where tony stark's magic computer safely directs him and the hulk away from civilians

The fight in Johannesberg and Sokovia are two different events.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The nadir of this sort of thing is Superman in Justice League announcing "civilians!" and leaving his friends to their deaths at the hand of a world-dominating monster.

Unrelatedly, today in 'shots that probably weren't originally composed like this':

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

josh04 posted:

Unrelatedly, today in 'shots that probably weren't originally composed like this':

That looks like some Deviant Art Poser 3D poo poo.

Why are their stances so stilted?

This movie cost money, yes????

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barry Convex posted:

Can you point me to a specific example of a car chase scene set in a populated city that (somehow) avoids this trope?

It's not like a movie has to have tons of civilians getting plowed into by the heroes or whatever for its chase scenes to be good, but there are several chases that do that and/or tautly paced and well edited enough that the sensation of danger is convincingly there. In the Marvel movies the areas tend to be absurdly barren until they're not for like one particular moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxH0lZSYgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79YCM00cNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEloJ5venk

The Marvel flicks, like civilian death happening or not isn't the issue, it's that - and part of it's just an inevitability because of how the CG is used so extensively to create big action scene settings - they generally tend very blatantly go from being in densely populated areas to spaces that are basically a barren video game world, and then back to reality when the action is over.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

BvS has a lot of problems but it's only incoherent if you actually are not paying attention. And in fact, the characters DO explicitly say many of the things that people complain about, like "Why does Luther hate Superman?"

This is what gets me about people who argue that BvS was incoherent or incomprehensible or can't understand why characters do something. Everyone in the movie explicitly says, very obviously and directly, what their motivations are and their thoughts are. It's not even them talking in metaphors or subtext or anything, it's right out in the open.

Every comic book movie does this, but there's something about BvS that just seems to turn some people's ears off or something.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

josh04 posted:

The nadir of this sort of thing is Superman in Justice League announcing "civilians!" and leaving his friends to their deaths at the hand of a world-dominating monster.

I'm gonna throw up

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

That looks like some Deviant Art Poser 3D poo poo.

Why are their stances so stilted?

This movie cost money, yes????

I still cannot fuckin' believe how lovely Steppenwolf is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

The fight in Johannesberg and Sokovia are two different events.

i didn't say they were the same event, i'm saying that civil war makes age of ultron's narrative even messier in showing the most weak sauce justification for controlled non-violent violence i've ever seen in a movie and telling me years later that also there was lots of collateral damage off-screen in the exact same movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Which trope? Sorry, I just want to make sure I answer the right question.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Are you okay?

Neo Rasa posted:

The Marvel flicks, like civilian death happening or not isn't the issue, it's that - and part of it's just an inevitability because of how the CG is used so extensively to create big action scene settings - they generally tend very blatantly go from being in densely populated areas to spaces that are basically a barren video game world, and then back to reality when the action is over.

This is a much better phrased version of what I was trying to say. The crash in Black Panther finishes in a crowded area (they're immediately surrounded by tourists) while the 60 or 70 feet of space the car slides through, which includes a cafe, is completely empty.

josh04 posted:

This is the shot I saw that made me realise how bad Justice League was going to be.

Far loving out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ciaran Hinds said he was unhappy with the theatrical version of Justice League, and that he filmed a different movie with Snyder.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I still cannot fuckin' believe how lovely Steppenwolf is.

The sad thing is I don't think he would have been that hard to make interesting. Just go all-in with the super-powerful warlord from space who works for Space-Satan. Have him be bigger than life, full over-the-top. Not this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Palate cleanser:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

The sad thing is I don't think he would have been that hard to make interesting. Just go all-in with the super-powerful warlord from space who works for Space-Satan. Have him be bigger than life, full over-the-top. Not this.

Just in that shot, he looks tiny.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

the rumors that have been thrown around about the original plan made him sound kinda neat, older brother of darkseid who got his rear end kicked by little bro, the motherbox is what's left of their literal mother so he's effectively running home to mama to tell on darkseid for being mean to him

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

the rumors that have been thrown around about the original plan made him sound kinda neat, older brother of darkseid who got his rear end kicked by little bro, the motherbox is what's left of their literal mother so he's effectively running home to mama to tell on darkseid for being mean to him

Sounds interesting too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

The Mother Box's name is Martha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

josh04 posted:

Someone add some healthbars and combo meters to this.