Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

josh04 posted:

Palate cleanser:

Okay, see, now this is better. And hot.

Such a waste of a good giant vagina door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Someone add some healthbars and combo meters to this.

And replace Steppenwolf with Hellboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3zdoadxSc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steppenwolf did you kill Rita?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JNapierrr/status/966604946152943617?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

loving hell, it's like an old timey video game before they figured out lighting effects

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Snowman_McK posted:

loving hell, it's like an old timey video game before they figured out lighting effects

The tweet thread's OP said he did a bit of color correction to make it look a bit darker / more like night-time, so that's not entirely on JL.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Joss Whedon Exits Batgirl

quote:

Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story.
:psyduck:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

I still cannot fuckin' believe how lovely Steppenwolf is.

It's like they went out of their way to choose the worst sub-tier Mortal Kombat miniboss design they could come up with. It is a completely blank slate of design, and particularly galling considering how awesomely bonkers bananas Steppenwolf looked in the BvS deleted scene.

"Master storyteller" Joss Whedon couldn't crack "rad girl Batman who's father is JK Simmons," aka "It Kind Of Writes Itself: The Movie."

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 23, 2018

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

^Agreed. The last great car chase was done in Bourne Identity. Everyone else should just stop doing them.

Diana is a more compelling character than T'Challa. WW also has the better story, and way better action. No set piece in BP even comes close to No Man's Land. The only thing BP does better are its villains imo.
Steve’s death had a much bigger impact for me than Erik’s death.

Fart City posted:

It's like they went out of their way to choose the worst sub-tier Mortal Kombat miniboss design they could come up with. It is a completely blank slate of design, and particularly galling considering how awesomely bonkers bananas Steppenwolf looked in the BvS deleted scene.
Reminder that the original concept art for Steppenwolf in JL was extremely similar to what we saw in BvS but WB execs thought he was too scary.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barry Convex posted:

Can you point me to a specific example of a car chase scene set in a populated city that (somehow) avoids this trope?

In Fast 8 it's an invisible Russian armored limo which is suddenly being chased by every car all cars, hacked by Charlize Theron

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

So basically they asked him to back out after the backlash on Justice League and this is what he came up with when asked to say it was his idea.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This was the Steppenwolf I wanted. :(

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

The tweet thread's OP said he did a bit of color correction to make it look a bit darker / more like night-time, so that's not entirely on JL.

That actually makes it worse. I mean, current video games are loving beautiful. I'm still reeling from how good the asylum sequence in MGSV is. The light acts like light, and that's the culmination of a lot of development.

By contrast, in older games, from when i was but a slip of a lad, it was all completely flat, because was either 'it is day' or 'everything has a blue tone' (which means its night)

I think that's the most dramatic and effective development in graphics i've seen since i was a kid.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Reminder that the original concept art for Steppenwolf in JL was extremely similar to what we saw in BvS but WB execs thought he was too scary.

WB Exec: Hmmmm.

[Turns "Scary" dial down to "0"]

[Turns "British" dial up to "10"]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Steve's role in the movie was clear. Erik was a confused mess of a character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

Please tell me you're joking

Please tell me the studio didn't turbo gently caress BvS this badly

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Are. Are you kidding? That's what we "should have gotten?"

The one actually in the movie isn't any better, but I don't see what's so special about turning a modern imagining of a folklore character into a generic space lizard.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Mr. Apollo posted:

Steve’s death had a much bigger impact for me than Erik's death

Man to each their own, but the latter was a total gut punch for me and, from the reactions I heard, most everyone else in the theater. Felt like the air was sucked out of the room.

MBJ fuckin nailed his performance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The one actually in the movie isn't any better, but I don't see what's so special about turning a modern imagining of a folklore character into a generic space lizard.

Because at least it's different.

It's not just Some Dude With A Bad Skin Condition

When was the last time we got a characterful villain that just looked like an actual out and out MONSTER

Like I'd prefer the straight up DOOM style Cyber Demon from BvS myself, but having Steppenwolf just look like A Dude In Armor is poo poo and it's always been the weakest thing about the majority of the New Gods designs.

They're SPACE GODS and most of them just look like human beings wearing silly outfits.

Darkseid makes it work because of all the ways he's not just a human but let the others have some loving play

It's also emblematic of ALL that the studio did to gently caress over Justice League. It's not just this one thing, it's EVERYTHING they did.

Warner Brothers killed Justice League dead, Whedon didn't have anything to do with it. I am not a fan of Whedon, I have not been a fan of Whedon, but he was not the problem.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"An out and out monster" something that I'd say should even be considered for the Fourth World and the New Gods. They're meant to be a new pantheon, an imagining of mythological gods for the 20th century. This looks like the kind of creature that'd be used as cannon fodder in a bog standard space opera. I'm hard pressed to find any character in it. It's just a space reptile; he doesn't even look particularly demonic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Again, it's not about the specific change but instead about why it was changed and what it means for how the studio treated the film in general.

And I'll gladly take space reptile over WoW cosplayer any time. Classic Steppenwolf is also pretty loving terrible to look at and modern Steppenwolf is not one bit better.

The best Steppenwolf is the one from BvS, because that is the actual space demon of the bunch. I'll take the monster as a secondary if you have to give him a face.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here, dude. I look at it and I don't see anything of what makes Kirby's designs work at all. It feels like those efforts to make Power Rangers or tokusatsu villains "more realistic". It's just got no charm of its own, either.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Man to each their own, but the latter was a total gut punch for me and, from the reactions I heard, most everyone else in the theater. Felt like the air was sucked out of the room.

did it actually surpise you? Or was it just an effective scene?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nodosaur posted:

For me I think the concept looked more sinister but it was also consistent with what we saw in BvS.

Snowman_McK posted:

Steve's role in the movie was clear. Erik was a confused mess of a character.
I feel dumb saying it but I also felt for Diana after Steve died. Whereas with T’Challa it seemed obvious that’s how the final fight would play out

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Good catch with the tags.

I guess Steve’s death had a bigger impact for me because I didn’t see it coming. I figured the final fight scene would involve Erik dying because there’s no way his character would allow himself to be captured.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 23, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dig the weird lizard creature Steppenwolf design. There's something very alien and off-putting about it. Like, he doesn't even need a giant elaborate Earth destorying plan. You could replace the alien in the Signs birthday party tape scene and it would be as effective.

I might be biased as he reminds me of Cell's imperfect forms from DBZ and he scared the poo poo out of me back in the fifth grade.

Edit:

That loving tail.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2018

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Snowman_McK posted:

did it actually surpise you? Or was it just an effective scene?

Moreso an effective scene, the dialogue and performance had a big impact for me.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I guess Steve’s death had a bigger impact for me because I didn’t see it coming. I figured the final fight scene would involve Erik dying because there’s no way his character would allow himself to be captured.

Funnily enough I felt the same way about WW as you did with BP. Steve's death was laid up in BvS so I fully expected that would be what caused Diana to turn her back on mankind.

Not that a death needs to ne a surprise to be effective imo, I thought Steve's exit was well done.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

edit: eh, we've been over this

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I think there would have been room for a moustache here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whether or not you think the design of Steppenwolf was a misappropriation of Kirby's design, "fallen angel" was a better design than "very large man".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think it really sells that look very well, either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The character design was, like, the 4th worst thing about Steppenwolf. If they'd put in the work into all the other aspects that build a decent antagonist (dialogue, motivation, interaction with the protagonists, interaction with henchmen, presence, actual threat, etc) he would have been fine but that stuff was either :effort: or it was cut. In the end he was just a guy who pretty much just mutters random poo poo to himself and bounced around in some CGI scenes and then he had a CGI fight at the end and then he ran away. He was maybe a decent character at some point but that was clearly chipped away piece by piece as the studio execs kept forcing them to make him blander and blander and then the script got thrown out and rewritten halfway through filming and almost everything that made him interesting got thrown out with it. For some weird reason they kept in a few things that hinted at the earlier script such as when he starts talking to the Motherbox and calls it 'Mother' even though that didn't make any sense or add anything any more.

The only other line of his I can recall was the "I have a family!"/"Why do people keep saying that to me?" exchange and that wasn't even a good line, it was just okay. He was bland all the way through.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

This looks like a rejected design from a Mass Effect game, but like, after it got lovely. Or a really extra mean boss orc from a LotR video game.

For fucks sake someone at WB call up Toei studios and just let the make you a big rubber monster man suit. It'd look better and probably cost a million dollars less than paying computer animators to sit and render every peachfuzzy hair on this over designed mess.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's stupid but it's pretty cool.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

Even if theoretically Batman's armor wouldn't have stopped Superman, the armor is part of being Batman. The armor has been helping him beat up non-aliens for years. When he goes out Batmaning, he wears the armor. It's an expensive gadget just like his Batarang or the Kryptonite gas bombs.

It's new armour though; this is his Hulkbuster suit as it were. I think part of the problem is that the armour doesn’t make much sense to help Batman kill Superman; it’s there to help Batman hurt Superman.

Superman was right that if he wanted the fight to be over, it would be. Superman was made far too powerful in Man of Steel to work in a DCEU. He’s faster than thought, he can punch through Zod’s ship like it was nothing, and his eye lasers can melt steel beams. If Superman wanted to kill Batman, Batman would be dead. If Superman wanted to ignore Batman, he could just fly off. Batman has a very clear path to kill Superman; kryptonite grenade then the spear.

But that’s not really what the fight is about. Batman doesn’t open with the grenade, nor does he quickly move to finish with the spear. He opens with a bunch of stuff he knows won’t work. It’s not about lulling Superman into a false sense of security before the grenade; each of the traps needs to connect to give that sense of security, so you could use the grenade instead, and each subsequent one runs the risk of Superman losing his patience. Batman is basically acting like the drunk from the bar in MoS, only seeing how many jugs of beer he can pour onto Superman, before he gets his truck totalled. But he’s not doing that unintentionally.

Batman wants to make Superman suffer.

Batman is acting like a crazy psycho murderer through almost all of BvS. He’s trying to kill Superman with a plan he knows won’t work if Superman wants to kill him; his plan relies on the inherent good of Superman. He murders a ton of people just to get an item that will let him murder Superman. For a person claiming to be acting in the best interests of the people of the world, he’s not showing a lot of concern for those people, but that’s the lie he tells himself and others. What he wants is revenge for everyone he lost at Wayne Enterprises, and nothing will stand in his way. He throws fake traps at him just to be sure Superman is feeling confident before he takes that away from him. Hell, the fight location is physically elevated by Superman after the traps, and then has Batman forcing it back down again. The armour is there to let Batman take his time beating on Superman.

I don’t know if the extended edition fixes this, but the problem is that you don’t see the actual working of Batman’s mind until the infamous Martha scene. You don’t see flashes of all of his co-workers with each punch, his emotions and thoughts betraying what he’s saying. We don’t see Batman’s normal behaviour and then fall from grace, or his convictions isolating him, costing the film impact when it catches up to him after Marthaaaaaa (oh, you realise you're being a crazy person. Were you not always one?). And really, that’s because the movie is three movies in one; a Batman intro, a Superman cross-over, and a setup to a different Justice League movie. As a result, all of this is my own interpretation, from a reverse justification no less; the key story elements are missing because there wasn’t time to jam them in, and I can’t tell people they are wrong if they have different interpretations.

Though, honestly, I don’t trust Snyder enough to have put them even if he did have the time. Snyder’s visuals are second to none, and he’s good at exploring concepts in films, but I find his storytelling to be pretty weak. Man of Steel was an interesting look at Clark Kent’s transition into Superman in the ‘real world’, and looked amazing, but there are baffling storytelling choices. Why show Pa Kent’s advice about hiding your powers and letting people die after we’ve seen Clark save people on the oil rig? This is a question we already know the answer to! If you put them the other way around, both scenes would have far more weight. Especially since the Clark is ‘saved’ on the boat from a falling trap, and the crew of the boat are heading into clear danger to save lives. This contrasts with Pa Kent’s advice, setting up a moral dilemma for Clark, and people would be invested in the outcome.

(That shot of Clark tearing open the door on the oil rig bothers me on so many levels. That door was closed to stop the spread of the smoke, fire and feeding fresh oxygen into the fire, not because no-one could open it. They can’t travel down it; the hallway is literally on fire and so are you. Also, why are you on fire? Is Kryptonian sweat flammable?).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ubik_Lives posted:

I don’t know if the extended edition fixes this, but the problem is that you don’t see the actual working of Batman’s mind until the infamous Martha scene. You don’t see flashes of all of his co-workers with each punch, his emotions and thoughts betraying what he’s saying.

There's lots of cases where you do get to see the workings of his mind but they're often fairly subtle. One example: the sound effect of the gravity beam from Zod's ship that destroys Metropolis and killed all of the people in the Wayne Foundation building can be heard several times throughout the film, usually when Bruce is dreaming or having a vision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMceD_O3olA&t=30s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nodosaur posted:

I don't think it really sells that look very well, either.

It looks a generic monster in a direct to DVD alien movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
people really twisting themselves in knots to avoid the fact that proto-steppenwolf is a xenomorph with a human face, imo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Guys the only way to determine the quality of a characters costume is by how closely it follows the original comic book one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ungulateman posted:

people really twisting themselves in knots to avoid the fact that proto-steppenwolf is a xenomorph with a human face, imo

I think he looks more like a snow monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gorn Myson posted:

Guys the only way to determine the quality of a characters costume is by how closely it follows the original comic book one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!