Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

My kids are getting gaidhlig names, it's been discussed.

Only problem is up here some of those have "reputations" (looking at you, Sinéad).

I went to school with a kid named Tadgh. Because it was a small town and we had all known each other since kindergarten, the whole class would get defensive about the proper pronunciation of his name to substitute teachers.

"Tad-g?"

"TADGH! It's like tiger without the "er"!"

Although that kid was also valedictorian, son of one of the few doctors in town and his family were the only Asian kids in the whole school. Irish dad, Korean mom. They were a very accomplished family.

The dude's probably an astrophysicist by now.

Since I've been working on a family history book at work, I've come across a lot of interesting old names. Merritt, Caspar, Philomena, Wilhelmina, Magdalena, Letisia, Odilia, Gustava, Marcella... there was even a Philomena Wilhelmina and a Philomena Maria in the same family who both went by Minnie. I think the other side had a Wilhelmina Magdalena who went by Minnie as well. Gustava went by Gussie. Marcella went by Sally.

It's neat seeing what the popular names were over a hundred years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I know a dude who named his kid after a Star Wars character. Very disappointing, but he’s a friend so we don’t say anything

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

extra row of teeth posted:

Imagine going to school as a little kid and hearing "part of your wooooorld" every day from the first day of Kindergarten to High School graduation day.

It is a good way to make your kid irrationally hate a song. I know from experience.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Midnight Voyager posted:

It is a good way to make your kid irrationally hate a song. I know from experience.

I’d say that’s a pretty rational reason

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

I know a dude who named his kid after a Star Wars character. Very disappointing, but he’s a friend so we don’t say anything

hosed up to saddle a kid with the name Bigger Luke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

Um, teacher, my name has two “u”s

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I heard second- or thirdhand about a couple that named their kid Sephiroth :suicide:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of my little brothers is named after either a mythological figure or the car his parents owned at the time, and the other was called by his middle name even before he was born so I'm not sure why they bothered with the first name.

Hippies, rednecks, nerds or just idiots?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Well, Perry Saturn made it work. He wrestled, did meth for a while, and then got clean.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

extra row of teeth posted:

I wouldn't even name a Chihuahua Guppy for fear of emasculating him. That mom is loving psycho.

My mom almost named me Brooke, which isn't bad at all but is very stripper-ey. You just take a huge risk with exotic names

Brooke is a perfectly normal name!

:(

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I don't like my boring name ;_;

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

life is a joke posted:

I don't like my boring name ;_;

I was hoping brain name would be 'Pons'.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My parents named me Lucy thinking it would be common, and my sisters Emily and Hannah thinking it would be unique. Clearly they did lots of drugs. It's not so bad except every 6th person has a dog named Lucy and wants to tell me about it at length.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One of my coworkers made her daughter's middle name Khaleesi

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

We named our son Jack. It's the older Chad

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My parents named me after their dog.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it wrong to be concerned with the amount of sexual partners my (40F) son (18M) seems to be having? He seems to have a new girlfriend every week, sometimes more. I am not really sure how to deal with this anymore.

Mom stop cockblocking your son.

The incels were right! Chads do exist!

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

One of my coworkers made her daughter's middle name Khaleesi

I assume she thinks that's the character's name and not her title?

(I don't care when normal people think that's her name. But it is a lot funnier from someone who likes the show enough to name a child after it.)

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 23, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They probably just liked the word, there's no shortage of people named Princess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

I heard somewhere that 'Sarah' is an old hebrew word for 'Princess' so it's probably not a new trend.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Plausible but there's no shortage of people who think she's named Khaleesi. Because that's how Jorah always addresses her.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My name has an insulting word as part of it, and in addition was a popular name for rich people a few years earlier. I hear it a lot in comedies as one of the high-status villains that wants to close the rec center or whatever.

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, she hosed up majorly, but if he's not going to put the effort into forgiving her, he should just dump her.

I don't know if he is or not, but even if he's trying his best, she might be inadvertently reopening the wound.

1. If she tries to keep talking about it and he just wants to forget. "Honey, how many times do I need to say that you're perfectly adequate!"

2. If she tries to compliment his penis in any way, it's going to have the opposite effect. This might last forever.

Anyone who asks you if there's anything you would change about someone you're committed to is not your friend.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The whole humdrum insistence on boring names (not TOO modern but not TOO old fashioned but also not TOO trendy) leads to a lot of really gross cultural minority policing as well as my office being chock full of people with the same first name which can get annoying when trying to distinguish them. You name your kids when they're babies and you just have little way of knowing whether they'll actually be into their name later or not. Some kids will rock a weird name, others elide it. Some wish to have a more dashing name, lots of famous people go by names weirder than the ones they were given by their parents. Sometimes a name could suddenly end up strongly associated with some event or person or character after it was given, often not in a good way. That mom's a dysfunctional jerk about it--let the kid use the nicknames they want to be called by, and let people who hate their names change them when they grow up--and that's why her daughter's so angry about it, I bet it's a stand in for a hundred other dysfunctional jerkeries she's endured all throughout her life.

I have an uncommon first name and a mash up of three aunt name parts as a middle name and I think it's great. I have another sister named after a grandma whose name was also a mash up of three of her aunt's names and it's a pretty cool name too! Maybe that's why I like naming pets so much, you can name them all sorts of fun ridiculous things and nobody gets too ruffled about it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

areyoucontagious posted:

hosed up to name your kid Evar Orbus And His Galactic Jizz-Wailers Smith

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Knew a girl back in college and her name was "Dragon". Her mom took classes with her.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
conflating kids to pets is probably a big sticking point of how families like that got to this point

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I grew up poor. Childhood classmates: Buckingham, Lestat, Ozymandias, and Blade (his parents were figure skaters)

Kids should get a free name change at the age of majority. But I'm biased. My first and last birth names were both shared with anime characters.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

DominoKitten posted:

The whole humdrum insistence on boring names (not TOO modern but not TOO old fashioned but also not TOO trendy) leads to a lot of really gross cultural minority policing as well as my office being chock full of people with the same first name which can get annoying when trying to distinguish them. You name your kids when they're babies and you just have little way of knowing whether they'll actually be into their name later or not. Some kids will rock a weird name, others elide it. Some wish to have a more dashing name, lots of famous people go by names weirder than the ones they were given by their parents. Sometimes a name could suddenly end up strongly associated with some event or person or character after it was given, often not in a good way. That mom's a dysfunctional jerk about it--let the kid use the nicknames they want to be called by, and let people who hate their names change them when they grow up--and that's why her daughter's so angry about it, I bet it's a stand in for a hundred other dysfunctional jerkeries she's endured all throughout her life.

I have an uncommon first name and a mash up of three aunt name parts as a middle name and I think it's great. I have another sister named after a grandma whose name was also a mash up of three of her aunt's names and it's a pretty cool name too! Maybe that's why I like naming pets so much, you can name them all sorts of fun ridiculous things and nobody gets too ruffled about it.

She named her children Chameleon, Sulci, Guppy, and Upton.

I think I speak for, at the very least, Guppy when I say that your desire to seem unique does not override your child's desire to have dignity.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Saeku posted:

Blade (his parents were figure skaters)

Did they ever try to ice skate uphill?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

There should be :thermidor:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

dudeness posted:

Did they ever try to ice skate uphill?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guppy sounds like a good name for a large, friendly dog, perhaps a golden retriever. Certainly not a small dog and definitely not a person.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Guppy is also the name of a really lovely character in Dickens' book, Bleak House.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to give your child a unique name. However, you've got to balance that desire against your child's best interests.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Ha, apparently being called Guppy is also an indignity suffered by Hugh Jackman.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Our newborn is three weeks old and my (24/F) Fiance (27/M) admitted he won't stop cheating on me

quote:

Instead of refusing to stop cheating on me, he asked me to have a threesome and if we could have a “girlfriend”. We've been together 2.5 years

What makes this situation so bad is that I never wanted kids and I had this baby specifically to make a sacrifice for him since he always claimed I didn’t do enough. I thought that me making 2x to nearly 3x his salary and making financial sacrifices was enough. It wasn’t.

During the beginning of my pregnancy when I wasn’t showing I would always try to get him to go places and do stuff but he never wanted to go. Then when I got about 7 months we went to his hometown to a Concert and then he left me at the hotel claiming he was going out clubbing with his friends when he really cheated on me.

Now after having had the baby he’s still cheating on me and talking bad about me to his ex girlfriends. He’s also been gone out to the strip club and that led to a huge argument and my family got involved because I heard him flirting with someone on Snapchat. And I have a 1 week old at the time and my family doesn’t have adequate accommodations for me and the baby so I stayed in the house. I was gonna get my mom to babysit so we could go see Black Panther last Friday... but we got into an argument on Thurs because he lost my Norco prescription at the car wash and I feel like someone stole it. He told me he was going to the gym that night. But my cousin called me and told me he was at the movies and it looked like some girl was following him. Again my family got involved and it was a huge mess they were trying to get me to get out but again the situations at their places aren’t ideal.

I went through his phone again last night and he was up to his usual tricks. He talks to at minimum 4 or 5 different women at a time and most of them work with him and they all know about me. He sends them pictures of my baby. I confronted him last night and he told me that all of them were willing to be with me and that I should just go on a date with them and make it a threesome relationship so that way he could have them help pay off my student loans. :-/

I have a baby now, I’m $30,000 extra dollars in debt because I paid for him to have surgery and also for him to put a down payment down on a new car that he doesn’t need. I just feel like in a course or 2 yrs I completely screwed my life up and I feel hopeless. How can I fix this relationship? What should I even do?

TL;DR: He keeps cheating on me, and he wants to enter a threesome relationship to "fix" it.

...well that's a new one.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax
"He lost my Norco prescription at the car wash" might be the bleakest sentence I've ever read in my life.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

DominoKitten posted:

Our newborn is three weeks old and my (24/F) Fiance (27/M) admitted he won't stop cheating on me

...well that's a new one.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Excuse my ignorance, what's Norco?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

quote:

Again my family got involved and it was a huge mess they were trying to get me to get out but again the situations at their places aren’t ideal.

Welp, things wouldn’t be perfect, better stay in this flaming dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

kru posted:

Excuse my ignorance, what's Norco?

it's a painkiller with hydrocodone in it. there's no way that dude didnt just sell it and pretend it was "lost"