Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MREBoy posted:

Kind of odd that "Stasi" was used, as that was the East German secret police guys. I'm a USAer so I have no idea if Corbyn has/had any E. German connections, or it could be Mac is stuck in time somewhere prior to Jan 1992.

That is the joke, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MREBoy posted:

Kind of odd that "Stasi" was used, as that was the East German secret police guys. I'm a USAer so I have no idea if Corbyn has/had any E. German connections, or it could be Mac is stuck in time somewhere prior to Jan 1992.

I don't really understand how it happened but suddenly they've moved from the Czechs to the Stasi as the handlers of Corbyn. Despite the people in charge of the Stasi archive saying it's bollocks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

MREBoy posted:

The insane twitter right has been trying to make "release the stasi files" into the new "we need to see the birth certificate" but I don't think it's working. Not for any particular reason other than they probably think it makes him sound bad because stasi sounds more ominous.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It recently got even more hilarious since the people in charge of the Statsi archives released a statement saying that a file on Corbyn actually doesn't exist.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Well obviously that was the first file they shredded, can't give away the decades-long masterplan to take over the UK through this one random scruffy backbencher inevitably becoming PM

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm pretty sure that the right wing press and certain Tory politicians piled in so hard on this because they really assumed that Corbyn would actually be exposed as a soviet spy; that they really have swallowed so much of their own bullshit they can't distinguish it from reality.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The news industry is dead.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cerebral Bore posted:

It recently got even more hilarious since the people in charge of the Statsi archives released a statement saying that a file on Corbyn actually doesn't exist.

Hm. Something they would have said if it existed, clearly. What other evidence do you need?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm pretty sure that the right wing press and certain Tory politicians piled in so hard on this because they really assumed that Corbyn would actually be exposed as a soviet spy; that they really have swallowed so much of their own bullshit they can't distinguish it from reality.

I think a slightly more charitable take would be that they weren't expecting the source to come out and say a bunch of even more obviously false poo poo and brand himself as a complete moron and when he did they were too far gone to not double down on it

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Paladinus posted:

Hm. Something they would have said if it existed, clearly. What other evidence do you need?

I don't think the Stasi archives are run by the Stasi anymore...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goatface posted:

The news industry is dead.

But where will the obituary be printed?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I don't think the Stasi archives are run by the Stasi anymore...

Hm. Something they would want you to believe.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Brexit transition period – The government has dismissed the idea that a Brexit transition deal, which it hopes to strike within the next few weeks, could be open-ended"

Telegraph:

Queen makes surprise appearance at London fashion week

Independent:

Times:

Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'

Evening Standard:

Mail:
MAC on... Kentucky Fried Chicken and Richard III

Guardian Australian Sport:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MREBoy posted:

The Stasi thing is a reference to an even more made-up attempt to imply that he was also a Stasi collaborator, based on the following line of reasoning.

1). He went on a motorbike tour of the DDR in the late 70s or early 80s with Diane Abbott
2). This would have meant the Stasi would have opened a file on him because he was a foreign tourist and politically active and very left-wing
3). This would have meant the Stasi would then likely have tried to make contact with him to see what could be arranged because why wouldn't you
4). This would have meant that he would have happily informed on the entire British population to the Stasi, it stands to reason, look, he was already selling us out to this Czech fella...

Unfortunately it's complete bollocks; they did go on a motorbike holiday, to France. Which as far as I know, is not in East Germany.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look, those bloody continentals are all communists anyway.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the government's Brexit away day – Theresa May has locked her cabinet away at Chequers to agree an escape plan for Brexit but there is trouble ahead"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After MC Escher.

Times:

UN security council wrangles over Syria resolution
Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon on Corbyn the spy.

Evening Standard:

Theresa May at risk of Commons defeat as Labour shifts on Brexit

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/967165369495556096

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/967167729538097152?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

OH, Jeremy Corbyn.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
That's the most I've ever laughed at Matt. :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Chequers awayday – Theresa May will set out her vision for the UK’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU in a speech next Friday, No 10 has announced, after she and senior cabinet members spent Thursday at Chequers hammering out a position"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Albert Anker.

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it took me a while to get that the i cartoon was critical of the sun and not corbyn

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Speeding to Brexit oblivion - Chris Riddell on David Davis’ claim that Britain won’t be ‘plunged into a Mad Max-style world’"

Sunday Telegraph:

Oxfam sex scandal: Haiti suspends charity's operations

Independent on Sunday:

Extended risk of snow puts spring on hold in UK

Sunday Times:

Labour wants permanent customs union treaty after Brexit - Starmer

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

this is the first time I've vaguely agreed with the times in such a long time, and it's also quite funny. Maybe next they'll stop pretending that Jeremy isn't way, way more strong, athletic, powerful than them too.

AGC

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If i see one more of these cartoons where a vague common theme sort of unites trite references to some selection of the same five beaten-to-death topics I'm going to personally overthrow the government just so i can ban political cartoons forever and always

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who will represent Team GB in the 'A Thing Happened' category at the GAA then? :ohdear:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Syria ceasefire – Syrian regime forces have launched a fresh ground and air offensive against rebel positions in the besieged and battered enclave of eastern Ghouta in defiance of a nationwide ceasefire ordered by the UN security council"

Telegraph:

UK braces for ‘beast from the east’ as Met Office warns of snow; Corbyn to put May on spot by embracing EU customs union

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Corbyn's Brexit speech – Labour leader attempts to outflank Tories by placing the customs union firmly on the table if Labour took over Brexit negotiations"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Jeremy Corbyn's future

David Squires:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

gently caress off mostly everyone I guess.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and the Irish border – The foreign secretary has suggested congestion charge technology could ensure a soft border"

Telegraph:

UK weather: Snow causing widespread travel disruption

Independent:

Leaving single market 'like swapping a meal for a packet of crisps', warns ex-trade chief

Times:

Florida school shooting: Trump says 'I would have run in unarmed'

Evening Standard:

Rolling Stones to tour UK in 2018

Mail:
Mac on... Planet plastic

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May and the Irish border after Brexit – EU seeks to keep Northern Ireland in customs union as PM warns of threat to UK’s ‘constitutional integrity’"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson: Irish border issue being used to frustrate Brexit After Raymond Briggs.

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Storm Emma: Blizzards pose 'risk to life' as snow hits UK

Mail:
Mac on... Max Mosley

'drat! Have you ever walked into a room then forgotten what you came in for?'

Bonus Prospect magazine:

Guardian Australian Sport:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cloud Potato posted:

David Squires:

Squires good.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I appreciate Collins, and Gobshaightopia.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May's big Brexit speech – Former UK prime ministers John Major and Tony Blair have dismissed Theresa May’s Brexit strategy, which she is due to flesh out in a speech on Friday"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mona Lisa could hit the road on French tour, says culture minister After Leonardo.

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on... Marks and Spencer's 'granny pants'

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
gently caress the gently caress off, Mac!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mac taking on the real social issues of our time, this horrific scandal in which an underwear seller puts any kind of thought into what kind of underwear it's customers want to purchase while PEOPLE SOMEWHERE ARE COLD.

It's better than the usual raging against the existence of women and minorities I guess?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

How on earth did Mac restrain himself from putting nazi paraphernalia all over the Mosley cartoon

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trickjaw posted:

How on earth did Mac restrain himself from putting nazi paraphernalia all over the Mosley cartoon

he was trying to make him less sympathetic to the Mail, not more

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May's third Brexit speech – Theresa May has promised to be ‘straight with people’ and face up to the ‘hard facts’ of Brexit"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Joseph Bail

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Set MPs free, says Sir John - Chris Riddell on the former prime minister’s call for a free vote on Brexit or a second referendum"

Sunday Telegraph:

Oscars 2018: What to expect from this year's ceremony

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Donald Trump's trade policy – Theresa May has called Trump to raise Britain’s ‘deep concern’ over US plans to impose tariffs on imports of steel and aluminium"

Telegraph:

Theresa May: Young are 'right to be angry' about lack of homes; ‘Bricksit means Bricksit’: Theresa May’s brick wall housing speech backdrop raises eyebrows; After Gainsborough.

Independent:

Oscars 2018: The Shape of Water and Frances McDormand rule

Times:

Evening Standard: