Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dren posted:

It's not entirely unfair. People I know who have gone without a plan have told me they hardly did any rides because of the lines. Imagine hearing that Flight of Passage is cool then naively showing up to AK and spending 4 hours in line. Sure, you're free to wait in the line but I doubt someone who waits in huge lines is having the good experience they expected and wanted.

I’m not sure I have too much sympathy for someone who is unaware of Disney’s overall popularity, increased popularity of new rides, the fp system, and the ability to go early to try to beat the lines. And on top of that still chooses to wait in a 4 hour line for a ride they probably know nothing about besides hearing “it’s good”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

At the very least, I'm not sure there's a compelling reason for the time to do all this to be as spread out as it is. Like, we're looking at booking for early September (hi Braksgirl!), which means booking dining in less than two weeks...and near as I can tell, operating schedules aren't out yet. Which is sorta annoying since at least one of those night is probably going to get eaten by the Halloween Party, and I'm relying on third party projections for figuring out which is which.

Obviously its not a huge inconvenience - except for Royal Table, none of the MK dining options are that quick to fill up - but it feels rough.

On a related note, do show dining packages (like the Fantasmic packages) also open for booking 180 days out?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes they do, soemtimes they don't. Worth trying either way. Depends on if they scheduled fireworks for that time of the year yet (usually no.)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
It’s the music box room? That makes sooooo much more sense - when I read it was the west wing, I was wondering what the hell they weren’t using that one - I’d be pissed if I couldn’t get a pic of the rose.

I only know a couple families that have seriously planned a Disney vacation the 6-9 months in advance, and one of them is a travel agent so she obviously knew. Everyone else I’ve talked to was amazed that it was something you needed to prepare for and that it wasn’t like going to King’s Island - when you just buy an express lane pass and then stroll past the lines.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
To Disney's credit, the stuff they send you once you book your trip always comes with a "book your dining starting on X, book your fastpasses starting on Y, log onto my Disney experience and order your magic bands"
Travel agents are also entirely free and can explain or even do the whole process for you if they are nice enough to handle FP bookings.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wonder if it's ever going to get to the point where they'll just sell packages.

Little Mouse package: Dumbo, Meet Mickey, and Small World, plus lunch at (whatever restaurant they want to increase attendance at).

Princess Package: Bibidi Bobbitt Boutique, CRT reservations, Frozen sing-a-long.

Disney Classics: Haunted Mansion, PotC, Jungle Cruise.

They tell you when to get up, where to be at what time, where you'll eat, scheduled snacks (hope you were hungry). In return you get to not plan and can buy it up to a year in advance.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Let me tell you about the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour. Or if you just want those classic Magic Kingdom rides, you can do the Ultimate Classics VIP tour. Or if you really just to do Pandora but can’t justify $600/hr, you can do the Ultimate Nights of Adventure tour and do them both.

So basically they *kind* of already do that. And those suckers totally sell out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:thermidor:

Edit: goons excepted

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 23, 2018

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Cais posted:

Let me tell you about the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour. Or if you just want those classic Magic Kingdom rides, you can do the Ultimate Classics VIP tour. Or if you really just to do Pandora but can’t justify $600/hr, you can do the Ultimate Nights of Adventure tour and do them both.

So basically they *kind* of already do that. And those suckers totally sell out.

The day of thrills tour was the best money we spent the entire vacation and using a Disney Visa knocks the price down a little. We did it right after they switched over from sit down lunch to quick service and still were blown away at how good of a deal it is.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cais posted:

When we rode FoP last week, I saw SO many people on VIP tours for the short time we were there. You can tell because they have a CM in plaid with them. I'm wondering how many people booked those tours specifically to deal with FoP wait times.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
or, with enough planning and a disability access service pass, you can speedrun disneyland

https://blog.jkap.io/2018/02/14/dldq2018-post-mortem-i-cant-believe-i-actually-did-it/

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

When we rode FoP last week, I saw SO many people on VIP tours for the short time we were there. You can tell because they have a CM in plaid with them. I'm wondering how many people booked those tours specifically to deal with FoP wait times.

I wonder if Disney will smell the potential loot and hike the prices for VIP tours as well.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dren posted:

or, with enough planning and a disability access service pass, you can speedrun disneyland

https://blog.jkap.io/2018/02/14/dldq2018-post-mortem-i-cant-believe-i-actually-did-it/

On this point, has anyone here tried the WDW4* challenge? It seems so phenomenally stupid we're looking forward to trying it next trip.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is that just all 4 parks in one day? We did that with some friends who only had a day here last year.

Started at AK which had the earliest open, did Everest, Dinosaur, Safari, and Nemo - 3 hours

Then Hollywood and did Star Tours, Toy Story, and the Star Wars meet n’ greets - 2.5 hours

Next was EPCOT for lunch at Via Napoli, Soarin, single rider Test Track, Nemo, and Spaceship Earth 3-4 hours counting sit down lunch

And finally monorailed to Magic Kingdom which was open till midnight for Happily Ever After, all three mountains, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan. - 5 hours

All total about 14 hours in the parks and 30-45 minutes between each.

It was a pretty exhausting day but they really loved it and I felt like we hit 90% of the essentials with no real planning. Crowds were light to medium depending on park and the weather was cool and definitely helped. Think we ended up around 14 miles walked (taking no parking trams).

The longest day though was when we did extra magic hours at MK one morning (I think we were there at 6:30 am), went back to the hotel at 6 pm and got dressed for the Wine and Dine half marathon that started at 11 pm, then stayed in EPCOT until 4:30 am. 22 hours total :stare:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Is that just all 4 parks in one day? We did that with some friends who only had a day here last year.

Started at AK which had the earliest open, did Everest, Dinosaur, Safari, and Nemo - 3 hours

Then Hollywood and did Star Tours, Toy Story, and the Star Wars meet n’ greets - 2.5 hours

Next was EPCOT for lunch at Via Napoli, Soarin, single rider Test Track, Nemo, and Spaceship Earth 3-4 hours counting sit down lunch

And finally monorailed to Magic Kingdom which was open till midnight for Happily Ever After, all three mountains, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan. - 5 hours

It was a pretty exhausting day but they really loved it and I felt like we hit 90% of the essentials with no real planning. Crowds were light to medium depending on park and the weather was cool and definitely helped. Think we ended up around 14 miles walked (taking no parking trams).

The longest day though was when we did extra magic hours at MK one morning (I think we were there at 6:30 am), went back to the hotel at 6 pm and got dressed for the Wine and Dine half marathon that started at 11 pm, then stayed in EPCOT until 4:30 am. 22 hours total :stare:

It's every single attraction (including the Main Street vehicles) in a single operating day. It's properly called the WDW47 challenge.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How in the hell is that possible? If you had the entire property to yourself, you would still spend most of the day walking from attraction to attraction and moving through the queueing areas. And that’s optimized, assuming no other people in the entirety of WDW.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

A lot of it seems to be getting lucky with FASTPASS bookings after you use your initial three. And going on a day with long operating hours...

I just spent two days at Disneyland and it was a blast! MaxPass was definitely worth the money. Did Guardians, Mansion, Pirates, Soarin, and Matterhorn twice, Radiator Springs, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain three times, Indiana Jones four times, and everything else operating once. Disneyland is definitely better suited for a more spontaneous trip.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
It’s possible, just difficult. When I was in college I would go to Disneyland during the week and do every attraction, visit every store, and still have time to spare. Disneyland easily had more attractions then than all of WDW does right now. (Meet and Greets are not attractions, no matter how Disney tries to make that so)

EDIT: this was before FastPass hosed up lines and made them artificially longer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Last July when we were there, a torrential downpour started in the middle of the day and lasted until evening. During that time, me, my wife, my brother, and his girlfriend were able to knock out literally every ride in MK. We were soaking wet but I felt so accomplished.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grundulum posted:

How in the hell is that possible? If you had the entire property to yourself, you would still spend most of the day walking from attraction to attraction and moving through the queueing areas. And that’s optimized, assuming no other people in the entirety of WDW.

There’s a YouTube of a couple doing it. Their first attempt failed because of rain delays with outdoor rides, then they did it again and completed it in like 18 hours or something. They did a lot of park hopping back and forth to optimize fast passes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

poolside toaster posted:

EDIT: this was before FastPass hosed up lines and made them artificially longer.

FP+ probably made the idea a lot less predictable. Like, before, you knew you'd be spending X minutes waiting for an attraction. Now it's X+30 or if you get lucky, 5 minutes.

I'd guess it's functionally impossible for groups larger than 2-ish.

Bottom Liner posted:

They did a lot of park hopping back and forth to optimize fast passes.

There's a big chunk of luck involved in getting those fast passes. This Twitter account is one couple's run through it. Their order went:

AK for Pandora
MK, including main street vehicles
AK
HS
EP
HS
EP
MK

The hops in the middle there from the studios and epcot involved literally running between the gates, complete with video.

I think the only things that are set in stone are rope drop Pandora, finish at MK since it closes last. Everything else is just making sure your battery is topped off so you can refresh the app constantly to check for new passes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm imagining them on Rockin Rollercoaster, phone out refreshing available FPs while going through the corkscrew.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What are the rules for inter park fast passes? Can you book at another park once you’ve used one?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to Disney in April. I'm not staying in a Disney resort, so I can only do my fast pass stuff 30 days in advance. Is there any chance of me booking Flight of Passage, or the other big name rides via fastpass? I assume not, since people staying at Disney have 30 whole days before me to reserve this stuff.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I'm going to Disney in April. I'm not staying in a Disney resort, so I can only do my fast pass stuff 30 days in advance. Is there any chance of me booking Flight of Passage, or the other big name rides via fastpass? I assume not, since people staying at Disney have 30 whole days before me to reserve this stuff.

edit: never mind that idea doesn’t work

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 23, 2018

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

RCarr posted:

I’m going March 3 & 4 and booked 30 days in advanced and got everything I wanted except FoP, including Naavi River Journey. You shoukd be fine (besides FoP)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I’m going March 3 & 4 and booked 30 days in advanced and got everything I wanted except FoP, including Naavi River Journey. You shoukd be fine (besides FoP)

So basically if I want to do FoP, I will have to stand in line for 2-3 hours? Is it worth it?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wake up early, uber to AK, rope drop it. I think it's worth rope dropping, but basically losing half a day to line is rough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Wake up early, uber to AK, rope drop it. I think it's worth rope dropping, but basically losing half a day to line is rough.

Yeah I don't mind getting up early and being there when the park opens. What kind of wait are we talking if I do this? An hour? I can deal with that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RCarr posted:

So basically if I want to do FoP, I will have to stand in line for 2-3 hours? Is it worth it?

Just arrive 20 minutes before gates open officially. They'll start funneling people in and you'll be on the ride by opening time +15/20 minutes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Just arrive 20 minutes before gates open officially. They'll start funneling people in and you'll be on the ride by opening time +15/20 minutes.

Oh wow, that's great. Thanks for the info.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

RCarr posted:

I’ve never ridden it, but 3-4 hours sounds right and not worth it unless your next Disney trip won’t be for a long, long time. We’re early risers but won’t be getting to Orlando until the afternoon the day we go to AK so we’re not rope dropping. I agree that if you’re willing to rope drop, it’s probably worth it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Or get in line at the end of the night. Although it may be posted as a long wait still usually that is an overestimate. The line also moves faster with no fastpass.

Just be careful because while Disney usually keeps lines open until closing time they have closed FoP lines early a few times I was there. You can ask a CM to confirm when you need to be in line by.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Definitely rope drop and arrive 30min before posted opening. My wife and I did that and managed to be off FoP just 30min after park opening. For comparison, our friends arrived at the park 30min after opening and had to wait almost two hours to ride FoP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

What are the rules for inter park fast passes? Can you book at another park once you’ve used one?

Any FastPass is legitimate except for the ones they issue when a ride breaks down or the "use anywhere" paper FastPasses given out by cast members. You also have to legitimately queue up for the ride, so no using cast member buddies to sneak you through the exit or anything that involves trespassing. Breakdowns don't give extra time, so you need to work around them or give up if there's no way the ride will be back up and running before the day ends (if it breaks down while you're on the ride, it counts as riding it though).

It also doesn't count if it's during a special event like Not-So-Scary, because that makes it too easy. So you need to be at the earliest rope drop and use Extra Magic Hours to squeeze out whatever time you can.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just go in the middle of the Super Bowl.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Be Our Guest got rid of the one thing I actually liked on their Dinner menu (the pork chop served with the insanely good Mac and Cheese), so I don't super care about the change.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thinking about getting Tables in Wonderland. Are there any restrictions on it for character meals? I didn’t see any listed on the site.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dren posted:

Thinking about getting Tables in Wonderland. Are there any restrictions on it for character meals? I didn’t see any listed on the site.

Is it worth it now with the AP dining discount? Did they make it better to compete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought they had cut the AP dining back down to 10% and that the 20% had only been for a year