Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

since new york has officially been outshined by Kansas when it comes to dog-related governor news, here's something more important but probably just as worthless: cuomo's approval rating has dropped quite a bit this month

quote:

If November’s election was held now, 50 percent said they would support Cuomo, with 42 percent preferring a vague “someone else.’’ Eight percent were uncertain. A month ago, 55 percent would re-elect Cuomo and just 36 percent wanted someone else.

Fifty-three percent of New Yorkers give Cuomo a negative job performance rating and his favorability among registered voters stood at 53-40 percent, down from 62 percent positive and 30 percent negative last month.

Cuomo saw a large drop in his favorability rating among upstate residents, the poll found, and he also lost ground with Republicans and Democrats, independents and with voters in New York City, one of the bluest cities in the nation.
the problem is that cuomo has had lower approval ratings before, nothing seems to stick to him, voters in the state have the political memory of a goldfish, and he's got no real challengers in the primary. so take this with a grain of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
here goes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, well, well...

https://twitter.com/theLivCoSheriff/status/965299616089628678

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Corey Johnson is a powerfully self-loathing gay man. he biologically has HIV but he has full-blown Fail AIDS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I am shocked, just shocked, that there's gambling going on herethat gambling wasn't the magical formula to bounce Schenectady back:

https://twitter.com/timesunion/status/966292582304288768

Now with GE collapsing, that whole area is just toilet bound. :smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congresswoman-claims-most-mass-shooters-are-democrats/ar-BBJqSIr

LMAO

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is one of the most powerfully stupid things i've ever read

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

When Cuomo picks his lackeys, he's not picking the best.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I used to live in her district. The dem who ran against Tenney when she was elected was a joke. She should be easily beatable but it's upstate so who knows. I don't know much about her potential opponents.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
http://www.newsweek.com/newsweek-manhattan-da-olivet-university-david-jang-fired-new-york-media-813949

Good job, Dutchess County, you're about as retarded as I knew you were. "Free full-page ads with no strings attached? GO FOR IT"

We've been saying for years that Olivet was doing something shady with that asbestos-filled deathtrap nuthouse in Dover, good to know they were shady all the way around.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Is anybody here going to the NKD General meeting tonight? I got sent the info because I signed up for RepYourBlock and want to know if I should look out for any friendly faces.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tomorrow i'm going to do a writeup about the event hosted by the Queens County Young Democrats that was partially a town hall with Joe Crowley to discuss the Democrats' mixed bag of an economic platform. needless to say, i left disappointed

Spoderman posted:

Is anybody here going to the NKD General meeting tonight? I got sent the info because I signed up for RepYourBlock and want to know if I should look out for any friendly faces.
i was watching live hockey instead, but i would have gone to this if i were free. for future reference, powercrazy/ate poo poo on live tv goes to general membership meetings

future goon meet at the county committee meetings

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
New York should fund at least one armed school resource officer in every school in the state, the state Sheriffs' Association said Thursday

Ooorrr we could keep things the same, NYS has reasonable gun laws and is cooperating with other states to make coverage better, and we could fund more teachers in schools with the money who would go to dipshits who would then wait outside while a gunman kills his classmates, on the off chance that this does ever happen here.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

New York should fund at least one armed school resource officer in every school in the state, the state Sheriffs' Association said Thursday

Ooorrr we could keep things the same, NYS has reasonable gun laws and is cooperating with other states to make coverage better, and we could fund more teachers in schools with the money who would go to dipshits who would then wait outside while a gunman kills his classmates, on the off chance that this does ever happen here.

The biggest complaint about NYS gun laws is the lack of reciprocality which is ridiculous if you see gun legislation as belonging to the federal level, which is reasonable given that the second amendment exists. Not to mention the dumb situation where NYPD officers are arrested for carrying in NJ and vice-versa.

And yea armed or really any officers at schools is idiotic.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

indeed officers should be arrested everywhere for being armed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rated PG-34 posted:

indeed officers should be arrested everywhere for being armed

That would be a worthy end-game for all the anti-gun people. But we all know that obviously any gun-control isn't intended for the police, even though they are the ones that need to be controlled the most.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my city school has three DoE cops. i think they have guns but i never see them leave their breakroom so im not sure

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Not to mention the dumb situation where NYPD officers are arrested for carrying in NJ and vice-versa.

That actually owns and should happen more often.

More content:

Guilderland town judge arrested for stealing over $4 million

quote:

New York State Attorney General Schneiderman announced the arrest of Guilderland Town Judge Richard Sherwood and financial advisor Thomas Lagan, as they stole over $4 million from trusts they were responsible for overseeing.

While serving as trustees, Sherwood and Lagan allegedly took money from family trusts funded by Capital Region philanthropists Warren and Pauline Bruggeman.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That actually owns and should happen more often.

More content:

Guilderland town judge arrested for stealing over $4 million

There is a better way to handle jurisdiction overreach then gun laws.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

There is a better way to handle jurisdiction overreach then gun laws.

Hey, you play the hand you're dealt.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, you play the hand you're dealt.

This is how laws become discriminatory, which should be something you should want to avoid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is how laws become discriminatory, which should be something you should want to avoid.

Here's the world's smallest violin, which I'm playing for the poor officers of the NYPD. At least when they're being booked in Jersey they can't be stopping and frisking.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's the world's smallest violin, which I'm playing for the poor officers of the NYPD. At least when they're being booked in Jersey they can't be stopping and frisking.

Mmm, yes. I assume you play the same violin when the black male teenagers of Trenton are arrested for loitering. Very progressive and "woke" of you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acab

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mmm, yes. I assume you play the same violin when the black male teenagers of Trenton are arrested for loitering. Very progressive and "woke" of you.

This is the first time anybody's called me "woke", even in jest. You're really concerned about the rights of poor defenseless cops, aren't you? Or is it the guns that are triggering you?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is the first time anybody's called me "woke", even in jest. You're really concerned about the rights of poor defenseless cops, aren't you? Or is it the guns that are triggering you?

No. I dont' give a gently caress about cops unless they are currently forcing me to at gun-point. But I do give a gently caress about selectively enforced lovely laws. Why is this difficult to understand?

Loitering laws are trash even if they are occasionally used to get those drat kids off of your lawn or there was that one time an obnoxious cop party was broken up, because they are used in extremely racist ways. If you want cops to be regulated more, which they should be, then loving get some police oversight laws that target specifically, and exclusively the police.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No. I dont' give a gently caress about cops unless they are currently forcing me to at gun-point. But I do give a gently caress about selectively enforced lovely laws. Why is this difficult to understand?

Loitering laws are trash even if they are occasionally used to get those drat kids off of your lawn or there was that one time an obnoxious cop party was broken up, because they are used in extremely racist ways. If you want cops to be regulated more, which they should be, then loving get some police oversight laws that target specifically, and exclusively the police.

Yeah, I'm totally promoting some kind of deeply-felt legal philosophy and not just feeling a bit of schadenfreude at cops getting into really stupid trouble. That's me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'm totally promoting some kind of deeply-felt legal philosophy and not just feeling a bit of schadenfreude at cops getting into really stupid trouble. That's me.

Yes, I know. That's why I called you, "woke," derisively.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yes, I know. That's why I called you, "woke," derisively.

The gently caress does that even mean? Go offline for a few hours.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

this is a really dum argument

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Powercrazy is exactly wrong about exactly everything at exactly the right moments.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rated PG-34 posted:

this is a really dum argument

Yes, but keep it going, I'm almost there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not sure what point Powercrazy is trying to make here. This is as good a time as any to move as far away from this topic as possible and talk about that Crowley town hall, though.

This Wednesday, the IBEW training center in Long Island City/Sunnyside, Queens hosted an event that was partially a town hall for Joe Crowley, who partially used it to speak about the Democrats' economic platform that would be raised in the midterms. I read it when it was first talked about, and I got a paper from the event that outlined the plan as it would pertain to Queens and the Bronx where he represents. It's still a mixed bag- there are a few things that are unbashedly good, but plenty of things that just aren't good enough. I have that paper below, along with notes that I wrote to improve some of the bullet points or just to add something new. The top-left corner of the front of the page were points that I wanted to make. I had several more suggestions, but I didn't want to take up too much time. I figured I would ask about re-focusing the federal definition of the Average Median Income to make it more local and more accurate to the affordable housing needs of working class neighborhoods; renewing TPS, which has caused teeth-gnashing for a couple of days in the past only to be swept under the rug; and whether he meant what he said about the tax code overhaul at the party retreat, where he refuted a complete repeal and instead cited "restoring balance."

Crowley started with a lot of soaring rhetoric, including how his part of Queens is different than Trump's part. He also bashed the tax plan as a disaster that would make us broke and give most of its benefits to the wealthiest 1% of Americans. That was welcoming, but I mentioned that "restoring balance" quote in my question. He says he was misquoted and repeated that it's a disastrous law, but he didn't offer much in the way of how to reverse it. He only talked about TPS in the bigger scheme of immigration and targeting certain countries, but did not talk about restoring it. He didn't get to my point about AMI because he spent too much time talking about the other two things, which is a shame because a couple of people applauded when I brought it up. There were really only a few questions asked because Crowley spent so long answering them. I didn't hear what a high school kid asked him because I was out walking around after Crowley attempted to answer my question, but it had to do with labor and unionization. Another man who looked like something out of the Sgt. Pepper's album cover talked about how his primary challenger isn't accepting money from big donors and that he should do the same. Crowley threw cold water on this, instead saying that he's given $500,000 of that money to help other candidates.

I didn't leave angry, but I left disappointed and not very surprised. At least there was free food and beer. Again, the bullet point list with my critiques is below, so give it a read.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/967465303889281024

Edit:

You can always count on City & State to focus on the important issues

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Feb 25, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i went to a budget town hall meeting hosted by my assemblymember, Bobby Carroll. i learned two things:

1. he proposed a bill to make party registration laws something other than the joke it is now. it has a grand total of one (1) sponsor in the Assembly and is opposed by every progressive organization in the state. when a woman asked which ones, his response was "every one you can think of"

2. congestion pricing probably isn't going to happen because cuomo hasn't proposed putting it in the budget yet, and proposing grandiose plans while half-assing the execution is a thing our excellent governor does on a regular basis
city & state's email news roundups have been one of my major sources of news for a few years now. the occasional silly stuff they post is a welcome reprieve from the usual depressing stuff about corruption and the like

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm just being a dick about it, I actually liked the ones that made their way up here, when they had a bunch of stands spread around Albany. Then they vanished. :iiam:

Did any of you hear about this?

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/969402467648761856

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The deblasio capacity to self sabotage knows no bounds.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I mean to be fair it really seems like this guy agreed to take the job and then flaked out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean to be fair it really seems like this guy agreed to take the job and then flaked out.

From the tweetstorm while it was happening it was basically the best show on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The guy said yes, gave the ok to go public, and then backed out in the middle of the speech accepting the job.

I like dunking on BdB as much as anyone but I don't see how this is his fault.