Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Samurai is the most responsible wizard. My samurai can also be a black mage or a white mage or whatever and use magic but he chooses not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Samurai is the most responsible wizard. My samurai can also be a black mage or a white mage or whatever and use magic but he chooses not to.

You mean aside from the part where he creates giant shards of ice and stuff?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
technically every class except MCH is a wizard since they're all using aether :eng101:

like your samurai is using aether to do their cool sword poo poo, it's just their internal aether and not external aether as all the casters draw on to some degree

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

Those are just party poppers hidden in the sheathe.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

technically every class except MCH is a wizard since they're all using aether :eng101:

The aetherotransformer is a magitek device invented by Stephanivien de Haillenarte of Skysteel Manufactory that converts the wearer's aether into lightning-aspected energy, which is in turn stored within the transformer's crystal cores. The machinist then draws upon this accumulated energy to both power and enhance her unique repertoire of weapons, requiring her to master skills far beyond those trained by any mundane musketeer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saint Freak posted:

The aetherotransformer is a magitek device invented by Stephanivien de Haillenarte of Skysteel Manufactory that converts the wearer's aether into lightning-aspected energy, which is in turn stored within the transformer's crystal cores. The machinist then draws upon this accumulated energy to both power and enhance her unique repertoire of weapons, requiring her to master skills far beyond those trained by any mundane musketeer.

Oh I thought it drew on external aether not internal

my mistake

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the shooty box is dumb and looks like poo poo. Stephanivien is a hack

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maybe the white mages should have finished cleaning the ACTUAL SATAN MONSTER out of their basement before freaking out about us throwing fireballs or whatever.

In fairness they had about 1500 years of "black mages wrecked our city and left us at the mercy of capricious elementals" as a back story for why they would be uncomfortable with a revival of black magic.

Turns out Shatotto was pretty great though so conjurer catboy no longer has any complaints. And I'm sure if it came down to it Kan-E would OK it as long as you don't burn down the forest in the process, she's cool like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How does all this aether ecology work? It seems like aether isn't really created or destroyed although you can gently caress up and freeze it into crystals (and presumably that also happens naturally). Like the problem with primals is that they gently caress up the land, not that they in and of themselves murder Hydalaen, whose problem involved Light or whatever. Also she went to that other cosm to feed like a drat Kojin ray sucking up krill.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's like the water cycle except instead of evaporation it's people dying

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My wind-up amnesiac wife is in the mail.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Blockhouse posted:

it's like the water cycle except instead of evaporation it's people dying

the planet's dyin', cloud

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Finally got to 50. I liked the BRD quest, in that it deals with PTSD and stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basically, new aether enters the cycle when new life is born.

I'm not sure if aether ever actually leaves the cycle permanently, but it's possible for it to be hogged by bad actors (primals, Zodiark) and get sucked out of things that need it, such as literally everything.

When you die, your aether goes to Hydaelyn, at which point ???.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the shooty box is dumb and looks like poo poo. Stephanivien is a hack

Counterpoint: you are charging your cool gun attacks via a magical car battery strapped to your waist, and instead of an alternator, it gets its charge from your life energy. Also, you can dye it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Counterpoint: you are charging your cool gun attacks via a magical car battery strapped to your waist, and instead of an alternator, it gets its charge from your life energy. Also, you can dye it.

Like, Gauss Round is basically you using Thunder like a railgun. That’s pretty rad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

Basically, new aether enters the cycle when new life is born.

I'm not sure if aether ever actually leaves the cycle permanently, but it's possible for it to be hogged by bad actors (primals, Zodiark) and get sucked out of things that need it, such as literally everything.

When you die, your aether goes to Hydaelyn, at which point ???.

Generally you merge with the lifestream like ice melting into a river. Primals are a special case where they retain at least some of their essence even after being sent back to the aether, and Ascians don't go back to it at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

You know what's cooler than that.

Shooting some sucker in the face with your big rear end gun and not needing a hip box to do it

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I always thought the hip thing was a colostomy box? :confused:

'cause MCH plays like poo poo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You know what's cooler than that.

Shooting some sucker in the face with your big rear end gun and not needing a hip box to do it

You don’t need the hip box for shooting your gun. You need it for magically powering an automated turret while you’re shooting your gun. Machinists multitask.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Playing with swords is so cool that it creates ice out of the moisture in the air

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Yo really, whoever designed the ridiculous drop rates on TT cards, especially in dungeons needs to get shot

I really like Sigma, but I've never done Savage while it's current. How hard is healing OS5-8?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Saint Freak posted:

The most responsible mage is Dark Knight, which I'm pretty sure just draws magic power from a sheer hatred of church pedophiles.

Why did Final Fantasy IV try to convince me DRK was evil?

Schneider Heim posted:

Finally got to 50. I liked the BRD quest, in that it deals with PTSD and stuff.

The final battle was a little underwhelming, but I did like the story tied to the questline.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Red magic is actually about ethics in aether usage, m'lady.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why did Final Fantasy IV try to convince me DRK was evil?

Classic Western Fantasy tropes were still in vogue at the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rastan Beeza posted:

Yo really, whoever designed the ridiculous drop rates on TT cards, especially in dungeons needs to get shot

I really like Sigma, but I've never done Savage while it's current. How hard is healing OS5-8?

5 is pretty easy. Damage is sparse and well telegraphed. Mechanics often line up with tank busters or AoEs, and figuring them out is the only issue.
6 can be rough. Auto attack damage is intense on both tanks, aoe damaged is everywhere, and tank buster strength attacks hit both tanks. You'll probably have to do the paint mechanics as well.
7 has some rough spots again, but in general is very well telegraphed. But when damage comes, it comes hard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I haven't tried O7S yet, but I'm looking forward to Healers letting me die from burn damage, just like in regular O7. :shepicide:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't tried O7S yet, but I'm looking forward to Healers letting me die from burn damage, just like in regular O7. :shepicide:

Oh poo poo that burn was fun.

"Oh he has burn. I'll throw a regen"
burn ticks, take 25K damage
:supaburn:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's like a single-target almagest.

And then the knockback comes.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 23, 2018

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
after youre done hanging in the hot spring come up to the baby pool and cool your balls off

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rastan Beeza posted:

Well, if you're new to savage content, it's less a question of "hard" and more of a question of "requires consistency." In normal sigmascape, you can heal "on reaction"--you see someone's bar go down, you make it go up again pretty much however you want, based on what you have available. In savage, it's not like any individual thing you need to heal is overwhelming. The problem is that you want to be healing a particular source of damage in the same exact way every single pull, which healers new to savage struggle with.

Example from last tier: Neo Exdeath uses Almagest several times during the fight, which inflicts huge damage and a big damage-over-time effect to the same party. These aren't hard to deal with: you can basically jam all your your healer cooldowns and hit Succor like 6 times. One exception: one pair of Almagests are less than 90 seconds apart from each other. If you blow all your cooldowns on the first, you won't have any mitigation for the second one and the party will kind of evaporate.

Actual answers:

o5s: kind of rough as an "intro to savage" actually, there's one attack combination which requires you to mitigate it then instantly heal up afterwards--if you wasted your fast buttons like indom or assize (see: consistency) you're going to eat poo poo.
o6s: if you got past 5 i cannot imagine possibly having trouble with 6.
o7s: lol if your party makes it here and then keeps dying i guarantee you it's not the healers' fault
o8s: horrible. terrible. an entire fight made out of healing checks. aaaaaaaaaaa

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Oh poo poo that burn was fun.

"Oh he has burn. I'll throw a regen"
burn ticks, take 25K damage
:supaburn:

the paladin can and should be covering prey targets; ticks are much easier to deal with when they're hitting for like 6k

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
After a bit of farming got enough manor varnish for both the harp and harpsichord. Think I'll just use the harp in my private house and put the harpsichord in my fc manor since the latter takes up like a quarter of the room in a small house. Trying to decide what colors to dye them. Was originally going to go with white and black respectively for an ivory harp and grand piano look, but I don't think either color complements the gray metal trim on them.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Brainamp posted:

It's like a single-target almagest.

And then the knockback comes.

O5S is easy to heal, but has lots of opportunity for people to gently caress up mechanics. If everyone does everything properly, the healer burden is fairly low. It is very easy for individual people to gently caress up and die with basically no opportunity for you to save them.

O6S is super straightforward, just keep the tanks topped up and make sure both healers are contributing to AOE heals. You probably end up doing paint mechanics because it's less of a DPS loss to have healers do them, but it's not terribly strenuous and the only things you need to really pay attention to are very telegraphed so you know to always drop a shield when they're comingg (the Red Light Green Light summon + gaze attack, and the prey mechanic.).

We haven't had a ton of time on O7S, but right now it feels really strenuous to heal.

If I had to describe the mood of Savage Sigma, it's "make the healers pay attention and memorize poo poo". Actual cast bars seem to come out faster than Deltascape bosses, and there's a lot more damage going out to targets besides the MT, so it's harder to heal on a reactive basis. More emphasis on making sure people stay close to topped up and shielding before big attacks come out, because there are lots of things you can't just regen through anymore.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How hard does Goddess hit in o6s. Is it manageable enough that an OT war can just sit in deliverance the whole time?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Sounds like it might be worth Pugging O1S to get a taste for Savage then.

Reiterpallasch posted:

o8s: horrible. terrible. an entire fight made out of healing checks. aaaaaaaaaaa

Somehow this is fighting for Kefka. He's exactly the kind of guy who'd aim for, or gently caress with healers to rid your hope of surviving.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Zerilan posted:

How hard does Goddess hit in o6s. Is it manageable enough that an OT war can just sit in deliverance the whole time?

I OT 6 in sword oath without problem.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zerilan posted:

Deliverance whole time is fine, but don't gently caress around with her last kiss debuff. It's a tank buster level attack so deal with that properly, especially when other mechanics are in play that might distract healing.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Sounds like it might be worth Pugging O1S to get a taste for Savage then.

Just start with O5S learning groups. O1 is a joke at this point, even if PUGs are even running it for whatever reason.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

A bit late on pages, but thanks everyone for the keyboard hotkey bind advice!

Though, it's going to be a while until I can get something comfortable that I like. In the meantime, I'm playing controller and fiddling around with setups on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1 - 30 is just about Thaumaturgy, which is fine, aside from one of the potatoes accidentally getting possessed by a succubus. 30 - 50 is about how Black Mages need to save the world (which is all of the quests, really), but has a twist in that the threat you're stopping in this questline was accidentally made by Ququruka and was a mish-mash of his allies that helped him learn Black Magic.

The best part of the ARR Black Mage quests is that towards the end someone's like "Ohhh, Black Magic is actually for SUMMONING demons, not banishing them, and that's why all those rituals involved pouring blood into the void or whatever. That makes a lot of sense in retrospect."