Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

If only they'd focus more on qol life stuff than another messaging app or another AI assistant, but it looks like there's less money in this :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Good, dark UIs are ugly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Good, dark UIs are ugly.

And by ugly you mean cool and good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chikimiki posted:

If only they'd focus more on qol life stuff than another messaging app or another AI assistant, but it looks like there's less money in this :v:

Assistant is one of the biggest qol things any software company has done in a decade.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Moto G5 got a security update! They fixed that Krack vulnerability. From November.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Does anyone have any experience with this? It's a magnetic dongle that inserts into the phone's USB C port, comes with magnetic cable and dock. Seems convenient and neat. Thinking of getting a couple for 'round the house and for car. Reviews are largely positive and it seems it would save a lot of wear and tear.

FWIW, I'm Pixel 1 XL with Tech 21 Case

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cool-i-Product-5ft-Charging-Base-Gray/dp/B075NB32R4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

And by ugly you mean cool and good.

ics was ugly as gently caress, that being said I can understand the desire for dark uis if you have an oled screen

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Anyway in oreo there is substratum support without root assuming you use the Andromeda app so darken your ui to your hearts content

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Just an update a few months later with my ZTE Axon 7.

I'm still loving this phone, with the caveat that to get the most out of it you need to unlock it and use a custom ROM. Root is optional but I use Magisk 16 on it.

Using AEX I have Oreo 8.1 and am on the Feb 5th security patch. Everything is smooth and fast with great battery life.

My next phone though I'm likely to go with the latest Pixel available when I'm ready to upgrade and will probably go directly through Google on their financing option.

Still though I have been happy with this phone and would recommend it for people willing to get their hands dirty.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Recent pixel 2 owner, with questions

1 - Is there any compatible adaptor to let you charge and use headphones at the same time?
2 - is there any way to turn off the banner messages at the top of the screen when i receive a message on whatsapp? Neither the app nor device notification settings seem to address this.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Shannow posted:

2 - is there any way to turn off the banner messages at the top of the screen when i receive a message on whatsapp? Neither the app nor device notification settings seem to address this.

Long press the notification/banner when you get it and you get a toggle do disallow future notifications for that app.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shannow posted:

Recent pixel 2 owner, with questions

1 - Is there any compatible adaptor to let you charge and use headphones at the same time?

https://store.google.com/us/product/moshi_usb_c_headphone_adapter_charger?hl=en-US

There are Belkin ones too and presumably others

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's a magnetic dongle that inserts into the phone's USB C port, comes with magnetic cable and dock. Seems convenient and neat. Thinking of getting a couple for 'round the house and for car. Reviews are largely positive and it seems it would save a lot of wear and tear.

FWIW, I'm Pixel 1 XL with Tech 21 Case

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cool-i-Product-5ft-Charging-Base-Gray/dp/B075NB32R4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They're ok but they don't support rapid/quick charging if you decide to upgrade. I use a micro USB magnetic cable for my tablet; I wouldn't use it in the car unless it is only for charging, since the magnets aren't that secure and jostling the connector with rapidly unplug the charger.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

oh, sorry; a bunch of places use the terms interchangeably - I meant in-ear, which is why I'm not considering Airpods (in addition to all the iPhone-specific stuff :v:)

for reference, I've been using the cheap Panasonic ones that used to be recommended by Wirecutter for like 4 years now (having gone through... 6 or 7 pairs?), so just looking for that level of quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4LGVUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anker do a range of BT headphones that are actually OK - in the sense they'll compete with the ones you're used to, or be better than.
They have a few options to suit whatever shape you want, just search them out on Amazon. They're about $20-30.

Anker have really good customer service, so getting a dud shouldn't be an issue.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

One would assume so, but i've been searching for days and not come u with anything compatible, , and that overpriced official one isn't even available.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

They're ok but they don't support rapid/quick charging if you decide to upgrade.

I have one that def does but it is not USB c so maybe the inability to so so is unique to that

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Incessant Excess posted:

Long press the notification/banner when you get it and you get a toggle do disallow future notifications for that app.

Doing that seems to disable all notifications from it, I want the icon to show up in the status bar, i just want it to stop popping up at the top f the screen with my recent message for anyone else to read.

Also, turning it off seems to only work very briefly then it completely resets to default again

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shannow posted:

One would assume so, but i've been searching for days and not come u with anything compatible, , and that overpriced official one isn't even available.

https://www.amazon.com/Alife-Headph...o+3.5+mm+charge

Could try that, there are lots available on Amazon but they have bad reviews for the most part

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shannow posted:

Doing that seems to disable all notifications from it, I want the icon to show up in the status bar, i just want it to stop popping up at the top f the screen with my recent message for anyone else to read.

Also, turning it off seems to only work very briefly then it completely resets to default again

Go to notification settings and set the importance, but if you want the icon to show I dunno if you can set it low enough. I think what you want to do is disable peeking

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Shannow posted:

there's an expensive one you can buy from Google (I don't blame you for not being able to find it; I tried to dig through the Google Store website and gave up and just googled it cuz I had seen it before) https://store.google.com/us/product/moshi_usb_c_headphone_adapter_charger?hl=en-US

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Go to notification settings and set the importance, but if you want the icon to show I dunno if you can set it low enough. I think what you want to do is disable peeking

This is the right answer but I don't think it can be done unless the app itself targets Oreo and has notification channels.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

This is the right answer but I don't think it can be done unless the app itself targets Oreo and has notification channels.

Possibly, I only do it for like two apps so don't have a lot of experience with it

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nalin posted:

Funny enough if you have a Samsung device, trusted voice does not work. And it never has. But it still exists as an option!

I know it was broken for a while on the S6/Note 5 generation but it worked just fine on my Note 4 and works on my Note 8.

One thing I did notice though is that if you just say "Ok Google" while the device is locked and wait for the prompt it'll flash a message on the screen saying trusted voice is temporarily paused and you'll have to manually unlock. If you use a full command such as "Ok Google what's the weather like?" It'll unlock and respond.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Uh weird problem, maybe one of you guys can help?

I moved my wife from iPhone 6 -> Google Pixel XL, and transfered all photos and text messages. Everything went great, except the text messages don't show the inline photos that were sent over the years.

Instead, every SMS photo she ever sent shows up in the Photos app categorized as "today", making the photo browsing very annoying, and not showing any of them in their text message context.

Any ideas what we should do?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

smoobles posted:

Uh weird problem, maybe one of you guys can help?

I moved my wife from iPhone 6 -> Google Pixel XL, and transfered all photos and text messages. Everything went great, except the text messages don't show the inline photos that were sent over the years.

Instead, every SMS photo she ever sent shows up in the Photos app categorized as "today", making the photo browsing very annoying, and not showing any of them in their text message context.

Any ideas what we should do?

Just a shot in the dark, but if her iPhone backup still has the photos with the correct timestamps it might be possible to transfer them to Google Photos in the right order. Don't know how you'd go about restoring them to the message threads though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Just a shot in the dark, but if her iPhone backup still has the photos with the correct timestamps it might be possible to transfer them to Google Photos in the right order. Don't know how you'd go about restoring them to the message threads though.

This is what I'd try. I'd factory reset the Pixel, delete everything in Google Photos, install Google Photos on the iPhone and back up all the pictures so that they're in GP with the correct timestamps and metadata. Then I'd try again. My bet is the message threads will still be wrong and will not show pictures in context but at least the photos will be correctly dated in Photos.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is there a reason why I can't immediately see or edit photos I take with the pixel 2? More often than not if I open up the picture through the shortcut in the bottom right of the camera app or in photos, it displays a black image. If I try editing it, I get a message about checking internet connection. Coming back to the picture in photos 5 minutes later and it's fine. What's up with that?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Is there a reason why I can't immediately see or edit photos I take with the pixel 2? More often than not if I open up the picture through the shortcut in the bottom right of the camera app or in photos, it displays a black image. If I try editing it, I get a message about checking internet connection. Coming back to the picture in photos 5 minutes later and it's fine. What's up with that?

I can usually open a photo from the last image preview in the camera app within a second or so, but it usually takes a couple seconds to finish all of its adjustments after I take the photo and before I can do anything with it. This usually manifests as a blurry, distorted, or otherwise screwed up image at first, which is then replaced with the finished image within a few seconds at most.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's what happens on my 5x. It takes a little for the HDR to process. But, it's like thirty seconds at most.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, you can get netflix HD playback now on your OnePlus 5 or OnePlus 5t.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/24/oneplus-fixing-5-5t-play-netflix-hd-physically-send-phone-get/

You just have to send it back to them for them to enable it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/24/oneplus-fixing-5-5t-play-netflix-hd-physically-send-phone-get/

it's like bitcoin: the phone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm proud to #NeverSettle

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oh god this reminds me of how the Motorola Xoom needed to be sent back in to enable data or whatever because that poo poo was rushed out to production too quickly

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

:lol:
One plus One equals zero, again.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

lol I believe this has been “coming soon” since google announced the pixel 2

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Maneki Neko posted:

lol I believe this has been “coming soon” since google announced the pixel 2

There are reviews for it on Amazon... but they're all terrible. https://www.amazon.com/Moshi-USB-C-Digital-Adapter-Charging/dp/B076VCZ9L8

I'd guess they just got dropped fast because deep down they never worked right.

e. all the adapters on amazon seem to have terrible reviews, weird.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

S9/S9+ video leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBpW-zWMXY

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Looks like Samsung's focus is trying to push the S9 for businesses. I'm intrigued about better connectivity with a PC, but that's about it. Hopefully there's more in the upcoming unveiling, otherwise this is an easy pass for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

logikv9 posted:

I'm proud to #NeverSettle

Hilariously this works in favor of the bitcoin analogy too since transactions never confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If I'm looking for a cheap tablet, the Fire range is pretty much my only option, right? All it needs to do is support Plex.