Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

I can see the point about being able to replicate anything causing problems for drama, though I think they kind of inadvertently stumbled into a reasonable balance where the replicator means you have food, clothing and corner-store hardware at will as long as the power's on. Bajor presumably has lovely infrastructure and the aftermath of decades of brutal occupation to deal with.

Idea: the 24th-century equivalent of "salting the earth" is blasting the surface of the planet you're leaving with heavy :techno: particles that can't be transported and make bulk conversion of mass for industrial replication impossible until the area is cleaned up through a laborious process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao transporters can even move omega particles with no issue

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But they can't transport an orchid without splicing you and another person together.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like that orchid should be a prized reagent for creating new and unexpected fusion cuisine, and fusion fashion.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I seem to recall somewhere that replicators couldn't handle complex meals well. Which makes sense as the best cooking is about a blend of flavors and textures. So a cook would be in high demand as they would actually make flavor happen.

Earl Gray makes sense then as tea is just flavored water. But then how much trouble is replicating tea versus simply heating water and soaking a packet?

And do they replicate the plates and the cups and saucers and...know what, gently caress replicators.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 23, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, replicators can't replicate literally anything. Off the top of my head, Latinum can't be replicated and neither can the McGuffin from Code of Honor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neither can dilithium or whasefadsf

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Replicators got worse and worse through the various series as they became more and more of an obstacle to telling stories with conflict.

In season 1 TNG they made food better than the real thing such that no humans ate meat, cooking was a niche hobby for weirdos who preferred surprises to always having the perfect version of every dish, and also it made you the best martini you ever had in your life.

Later on replicated booze became inferior to the real handmade artisanal stuff, then meals became bland compared to the flair of even an amateur chef, and by the end of Voyager replicators were burning roasts half the time and you'd better know how to cook or keep an ample supply of peanut butter and jelly on hand.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like that orchid should be a prized reagent for creating new and unexpected fusion cuisine, and fusion fashion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

lmao transporters can even move omega particles with no issue

But not polyester!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if you can replicate warp particles

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

Now I’m thinking about that self replicating minefield from DS9. Everyone acted like it could keep going forever, but it had to run out of energy to repair itself eventually.... right?

After The War posted:

:pseudo: They harvested... mumble, mumble Wormhole Radiation mumble, mumble... so that was the only place they could have done it. Yup, Rom was even more of a genius than we thought!

Mines explode, destroying starship. Starship debris is broken down and replicated by adjacent mines into replacement mines.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cheetah7071 posted:

The episode did go out of its way a few times to say that Kirk and Spock value their female officers just as much as their male officers which was nice. It also has the only indication I've seen so far of Uhura being more than a space secretary

One of my favorite Uhura bits (outside of TAS) is when Sulu gets tapped for an away mission and Kirk tells her to take the conn. So she's a qualified watch stander, which is an important career qualification for a naval officer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mllaneza posted:

One of my favorite Uhura bits (outside of TAS) is when Sulu gets tapped for an away mission and Kirk tells her to take the conn. So she's a qualified watch stander, which is an important career qualification for a naval officer.

Yeah she’s definitely pretty competent officer. She also takes the science station at least once when Spock is conked out. She was even command track at first, at least until the production staff decided she photographed better in red. I have to say it‘s always been kind of depressing to me that the other shows/movies never followed up on that. At least Sulu finally got his own command.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

mllaneza posted:

She's the communications officer, making her the fourth ranked officer behind Kirk, Spock, and Scotty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

She's the communications officer, making her the fourth ranked officer behind Kirk, Spock, and Scotty.

Though by all appearances, she's fifth behind Sulu as well.

mllaneza posted:

One little touch I like about TNG is that Crusher is noted to be a watch stander, and that she's typically in command during the night shift. Sounds like as good a justification as any for why she never does much in the show, most ships probably have a whole night shift crew we never see.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sulu comes after Scotty but before Uhura. When Kirk and Spock are unavailable it’s either he or Scotty who takes command, never Uhura (barring TAS where they could get away with more). Scotty ranks him but probably can’t be spared in some emergencies/may not have the same operational expertise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtBwr3pR30&t=52s

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Earl Grey is just recycled Worf piss

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

Sulu comes after Scotty but before Uhura. When Kirk and Spock are unavailable it’s either he or Scotty who takes command, never Uhura (barring TAS where they could get away with more). Scotty ranks him but probably can’t be spared in some emergencies/may not have the same operational expertise.

I always assumed that was the same reason Bones never took command. He was always busy in sickbay or on the away team. Wasn’t he a full Commander in TOS?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always assumed that was the same reason Bones never took command. He was always busy in sickbay or on the away team. Wasn’t he a full Commander in TOS?

No, just Lt Cmdr, he gets promoted offscreen sometime before TMP. However, in the actual US Navy, a physician would be a staff corps officer and not a line officer so generally would not be considered qualified for command at sea even if he were highest in rank (any navy goons feel free to correct me on this).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FuturePastNow posted:

only the lower stream tho

edit: this has been your weekly reminder that it is now canon that klingons have two dicks

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

No, just Lt Cmdr, he gets promoted offscreen sometime before TMP. However, in the actual US Navy, a physician would be a staff corps officer and not a line officer so generally would not be considered qualified for command at sea even if he were highest in rank (any navy goons feel free to correct me on this).

That's pretty much it. Bones might end up commanding a hospital ship, or a research or medical lab,or even become head of Starfleet Medical, but he's not going to be commanding a cruiser like Enterprise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit: this has been your weekly reminder that it is now canon that klingons have two dicks

Which makes sense, since Star Trek is about one-third as good as Babylon 5....

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FuturePastNow posted:

I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I knew a lawyer in the Marines once. He was theoretically a major but he just prosecuted people.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in like the normal navy, like scotty does.. uh, would like the chief engineer get dragged out of th engine room (?? is this where tehy would be?? on a boat??) all covered in like grease and poo poo... to... command?? wtf?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
fire all torpedoes, commands somwhat autistic engineer guy whos claim to fame was learning linear algebra on his own in 2 weeks as a teen and being able to memorize huge blueprints, as well and deep knowledge of all trains, boats, and plane gearing ratios

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently there was at one point controversy over the question:

wikipedia posted:

The absorption of ship engineers into the line was the result of conflicts in the chain of command; as staff officers, engineers were not authorized to command ships, but when in battle the engineer was in charge of maneuvering the ship while under steam power, which occurred usually during battle. An exchange of open letters in 1878 voiced line officers' concerns that discipline was suffering because engineers were sometimes of higher rank than the ship's second-in-command executive officer. The assimilation of engineers as line officers was a compromise that clarified the chain of command and elevated the status of engineers. This move made the United States Navy unusual, as other modern navies such as the Royal Navy still have a separate engineering corps. Due to the increasing complexity of ships' engineering systems after World War II, commanding officers were themselves required to undergo basic engineering training.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

This kinda lines up with TNG in that even Picard and Riker are familiar with basic engineering stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe I'm dumb but what exactly is the point of people who are never going to be giving orders, like doctors and lawyers, having a rank at all?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but what exactly is the point of people who are never going to be giving orders, like doctors and lawyers, having a rank at all?

In reality, it's for pay and seniority purposes. In Star Trek? Who knows.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bones specifically mentions not being a line officer in A Taste of Armageddon.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 24, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

skasion posted:

really interesting to read. like u kinda see echos of the same thing in jobs requiring technical stuff or computer stuff. sometimes the "thing doer" guy or gal is the defacto captain when poo poo hits gets real. i work in live theatre lol which doesnt sound like a good analogue but like if your whole tech stack shits the bed while youre loading the house, the guy who makes the calls is a technical guy.

as military becomes increasingly detached from reality and we replace soldiers with drones and cyber weapons are deployed it will be interesting to watch the types of people who end up in the command chair. kinda seems like the conclusion was already reached with literal steam engines. cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just watched The Changeling. Is uh...is nobody gonna care at all that the Uhura they've known for years is essentially dead, and a brand new woman is in her body now?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Women are interchangeable in canon

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Didn't she come back knowing Swahili? I think that indicated that all the bits were still there, they just needed to be reconnected.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
TOS isn't canon. It's just the retelling of the adventures of Kirk as told to children by their bigoted parents.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

they have 2 dicks.