Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Yeah the Forgotten were a pretty interesting spin on Endless Legend, although they weren't my preferred faction by a long way. Keeping the theme all the way with invisible units etc helped to make them feel really unique.

And the espionage was done about as good as it could be? Frustrating trying to shake a spy sometimes (which it probably should be), and gives you an extra tool in cracking any particularly difficult cities.

I can't wait for Endless Legend 2. With all the expansions EL ended up so goddamn good, so many options and directions in which to take a game, so rich compared to any other 4X, the music, the lore - oh man, I just loved it. In my heart it took the crown off Alpha Centauri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chadzok posted:

I can't wait for Endless Legend 2. With all the expansions EL ended up so goddamn good, so many options and directions in which to take a game, so rich compared to any other 4X, the music, the lore - oh man, I just loved it. In my heart it took the crown off Alpha Centauri.
Same. I really really came to like it after a *really* rough start because I didnt understand combat at all and the game didnt help much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My first game, I thought you could only upgrade the equipment on heroes, so the only way I could win fights late-game was to mass four or five heroes and use my unupgraded units as meat shields for them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

My first game, I thought you could only upgrade the equipment on heroes, so the only way I could win fights late-game was to mass four or five heroes and use my unupgraded units as meat shields for them.

Honestly I still keep forgetting to upgrade my troops

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You guys are really missing out what it's like to have a squad of ultra-veterans, who are like lvl7 in Era5, rolling over lvl4 opposition units. They're each small gods, probably able to take entire stacks by themselves. The game really doesn't emphasis how much difference xp makes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Espionage would be good because at present there are very very few methods to slowing an enemies non supremacy victory, or even knowing when they're close (out of the blue Lumeris econ victories suck for example).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Espionage would be good because at present there are very very few methods to slowing an enemies non supremacy victory, or even knowing when they're close (out of the blue Lumeris econ victories suck for example).
The solution to this is to always murder the Lumeris :confused:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Espionage is a good mechanic when done well because it lets you engage in hostile diplomacy without declaring total war every other year/against a superior enemy.

I agree that 'somehow kill 1 billion enemy pops (u might get caught!)' is kinda lacklustre.

But spies are cool :007:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I want an espionage faction that's so sneaky that they can colonize planets that are still colonized by other people. Alien Cuckoos that lay their eggs in other species' nests.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I want an espionage faction that's so sneaky that they can colonize planets that are still colonized by other people. Alien Cuckoos that lay their eggs in other species' nests.

Kind of like the criminal faction in Empire at War? Corruption was a neat idea if OP.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Kind of like the criminal faction in Empire at War? Corruption was a neat idea if OP.

*in extremely godfather voice* time for a Lumeris rework!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Any political advice for Horatio?

Ecologist Dictatorship just seems like it was thrown at them for no reason/ benefit....

Do you go Religious immediately to be able to invade minors? or Military for free WarDecs?

Also, how long do you stay dictatorship? change to republic asap or federation for extra planets?

Do you stay ecologist and just spread to as many planets as possible and aquire minors with influence? but then how do you get more influence quickly?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I usually colonize as fast as humanly possible with ecologist, and then switch to a democracy before happiness starts becoming an issue. Because of the high populations, I find that the per pop happiness bonus from democracy is more effective than the over-colonization mitigation from federation. I also like to use as many per-pop bonus laws as possible. You can't control parties that well with a democracy, but you usually end up militarist by that point anyway. I've never even remotely had a problem having enough influence to do whatever I want as Horatio though.

Dictatorship does make sense flavor-wise, but I agree that it's not a very good fit for their gameplan. Ecologist is great though for an early game boost though, since you should be filling the universe with as many Horatio as possible. Plus all the food related laws it gets.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Clarste posted:

I usually colonize as fast as humanly possible with ecologist,...

Do you just colonize every system with more than 2 planets then? or still search for "good" systems with Tier 0 planets?

Clarste posted:

..., and then switch to a democracy before happiness starts becoming an issue. Because of the high populations, I find that the per pop happiness bonus from democracy is more effective than the over-colonization mitigation from federation. I also like to use as many per-pop bonus laws as possible. You can't control parties that well with a democracy, but you usually end up militarist by that point anyway.

ok, this makes sense.

Clarste posted:

... I've never even remotely had a problem having enough influence to do whatever I want as Horatio though.

Do they get anything that gives them better influence income? I felt influence starved when there were more than 1 minors getting flattered. Also, isn't this way slower than just taking them over with Horatio's crazy amount of manpower?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it's worth noting that democracy is probably the best way of keeping your favorite parties in senate without them being displaced by the military. And with your favorite parties in, and not having to stress/spend resources securing that seat, you get your favorite laws in, generally solving your happiness and infrastructure problems.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mjolnerd posted:

Do you just colonize every system with more than 2 planets then? or still search for "good" systems with Tier 0 planets?

ok, this makes sense.

Do they get anything that gives them better influence income? I felt influence starved when there were more than 1 minors getting flattered. Also, isn't this way slower than just taking them over with Horatio's crazy amount of manpower?

I colonize every system with more than 2 planets, yes.

And while it may be faster to just conquer the universe every time, I like play at least somewhat peacefully until someone else inevitably declares war. Just a personal gameplay preference.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

If the government types were evened out it would really help the gameplay in general. Dictatorship and federation are just useless.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
what's the best way to get as many other race's genes spliced?

doing quests for all of the minors? paying for war dec?

what about for the major factions? is war the only way? or can you request population via diplomacy? i guess you can ask for a system in exchange for something...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Horatio: ecology is dope. By the time I changed government I had the necessary planetfall techs just to get rid of the -50 fids penalty. I did federation for expansion bonuses anf it was underwhelming.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

KirbyKhan posted:

Horatio: ecology is dope. By the time I changed government I had the necessary planetfall techs just to get rid of the -50 fids penalty. I did federation for expansion bonuses anf it was underwhelming.

After playing last night, I agree, ecology does work well. I didn't realize there were Horatio specific laws in there.

Once i swapped to democracy, I had to keep backing ecology as my graph was 90% militarist.

Once you've spliced a few pops though, I have a rough time breeding more and more of the other factions to do another splice. The systems fill up, so i just keep using the spaceport to migrate the factions around in a horrible shell game. Any tips here?

Also, loading a carrier up with with all manpower modules makes for a hilarious planet takeover ship.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Just started a game a couple days ago as Sophons. Playing as militarist scientists and having a good time. Still getting a handle on the mechanics. It feels like I am lurching from crisis to crisis though. First it was Dust deficit for a few turns. Also it has been a constant struggle to have enough manpower. I have chain ganged all foreign species pops to keep my empire pure and keep my military campaigns running. I didn't understand that parking a fleet on system sapped enemy manpower each turn. Now I am having problems with enemy influence and unhappiness from over expansion. Might evacuate a couple systems that I colonized just to keep neighbors from snapping them up. Then bribe/subdue my populations as much as possible. Probably should have patrolled my borders harder earlier on. I have a good science lead (duh), two strong fleets with lots of experience and have carved out a decent chunk of space so we'll see how it goes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

calusari posted:

...It feels like I am lurching from crisis to crisis though...

Lurching from crisis to crisis is the most fun part of the game, for me. There's something very space-opera-ish about throwing every trick you can think of at a Dust shortfall, having a few turns of smugness at your own brilliance, and then of course, the slowly dawning horror of the realisation that you're bleeding Influence or Manpower or Happiness or whatever....
Sometimes, all the moving parts in the game line up just right, and you get a genuinely interesting storyline coming together!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Manpower is (or was, pre-expansion) really odd in that while it's utterly necessary for invasions, the majority of it's use is completely wasted manning combat ships who all die in space wasting their manpower. Sure, there's some lovely little 20% bonus (or something) that a ship gets for being at max manpower instead of empty, but it's a terrible deal that most sane players would avoid if given any chances of. It's not HARD to build an 'invasion drop pod ship' whose only job is to fill the square slots with manpower modules. I often do it so that the fast doom fleet can keep moving and killing, with a very slow fleet of manpower doing the actual invasions.

So what I'm saying is, don't freak if your manpower is pegged at 0 for a while. It's probably because you're building ships early/mid game and don't have all the tech ups that let you have a huge manpower bank for these production spikes. Just keep doing what you're doing and only care when it comes time to invade, then just click around your fleets looking for one that's fully stocked.

It's a poorly executed mechanic imo.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Serephina posted:

Manpower is (or was, pre-expansion) really odd in that while it's utterly necessary for invasions, the majority of it's use is completely wasted manning combat ships who all die in space wasting their manpower. Sure, there's some lovely little 20% bonus (or something) that a ship gets for being at max manpower instead of empty, but it's a terrible deal that most sane players would avoid if given any chances of. It's not HARD to build an 'invasion drop pod ship' whose only job is to fill the square slots with manpower modules. I often do it so that the fast doom fleet can keep moving and killing, with a very slow fleet of manpower doing the actual invasions.

So what I'm saying is, don't freak if your manpower is pegged at 0 for a while. It's probably because you're building ships early/mid game and don't have all the tech ups that let you have a huge manpower bank for these production spikes. Just keep doing what you're doing and only care when it comes time to invade, then just click around your fleets looking for one that's fully stocked.

It's a poorly executed mechanic imo.

I'd say it's more poorly explained than it is poorly executed. I think of it as rush protection.

That being said... I'm new to the game and have only really gotten to the late game as Horatio who is just making GBS threads food and manpower, so I don't mind when I see my manpower generated drop down to -2k when I need to fill up my party bus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel that manpower is a complete non-issue unless you're going for very early aggression. Heck, I like to use it as something to trade away that doesn't hurt me at all. And even then, if you're out conquering the universe from day 1 like the Cravers, you can just conscript your slaves with Chain Gang without too much interruption. It's only really a problem for Vodyani in my experience, since they get the double whammy of poor food generation and being inherently aggressive. Although even then you could use essenceto buy manpower, I guess. I hate playing Vodyani anyway though.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone have any luck using the AOE Blast weapon?

I found that once I equipped it, I had a much harder time taking down other carriers/arks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever reached a point in the game where the enemy is using Carrier hulls and I'm not like 10 turns of Next Turn from victory. A lot of the late game techs feel like that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pedestrian Xing posted:

If the government types were evened out it would really help the gameplay in general. Dictatorship and federation are just useless.

I know this is a bit old but try the Politics Rework mod. It includes radical changes to all government types that break the stranglehold of Democracy and Republic. Republic loses the law intensification (that's moved to dictatorship) in favor of bonus FIDSI for every active law but rapidly escalating law upkeep. Democracies get a mild buff in the form of less law upkeep for every party represented in the active laws and Federation becomes the official government of wide empires because they get +1 Systems Before Overcolonization kicks in for every hero the empire owns. and upgrading systems costs twenty percent less resources. There's also a wide variety of new laws that buff the hell out of each party and focus them better.

If you're fond of the UE it buffs the alternate choices for what the UE can become (Mezari become +2 Science +1 Influence on Anomaly and they convert science into influence) and the Sheredyn convert system defense into influence and get bonus manpower space for strategic resources on planets.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 1, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I know this is a bit old but try the Politics Rework mod. It includes radical changes to all government types that break the stranglehold of Democracy and Republic. Republic loses the law intensification (that's moved to dictatorship) in favor of bonus FIDSI for every active law but rapidly escalating law upkeep. Democracies get a mild buff in the form of less law upkeep for every party represented in the active laws and Federation becomes the official government of wide empires because they get +1 Systems Before Overcolonization kicks in for every hero the empire owns. and upgrading systems costs twenty percent less resources. There's also a wide variety of new laws that buff the hell out of each party and focus them better.

If you're fond of the UE it buffs the alternate choices for what the UE can become (Mezari become +2 Science +1 Influence on Anomaly and they convert science into influence) and the Sheredyn convert system defense into influence and get bonus manpower space for strategic resources on planets.

For what it's worth, many of those changes are based on the G2G Balance Mod, which is basically an "official" mod used by the devs as a simpler way of having open betas. So things like the changes to Federations are likely going to become part of the base game at some point.

The new dev version of Dictatorship has a super-boosted Default Law for each party. I only checked ecology for now (because it's easy to just start a new game as Horatio), but in addition to being able to colonize all planets, they also get +15 happiness and only a 25% FIDS penalty for not having the colonization tech (instead of 50%). There's also talk of lifting the 2 law restriction and just letting them get more slots with tech, like everyone else, although I'm not sure if that's implemented yet.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 1, 2018

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Clarste posted:

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever reached a point in the game where the enemy is using Carrier hulls and I'm not like 10 turns of Next Turn from victory. A lot of the late game techs feel like that.

I still struggle with finishing a game out. I don't think I focus enough on one victory condition and end up stretching my games out much longer than is probably appropriate.

I guess the quickest way would be to go for supremacy and just bum rush the AI starting systems?

I think with enough practice I'll be able to transition from the mindset of 'build up empire' to 'I'm strong enough, lets rush to victory' a little bit better.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Mjolnerd posted:

I guess the quickest way would be to go for supremacy and just bum rush the AI starting systems?

It's at the very least competitive with the fastest victory types, and probably the one that lets you pivot from empire-building to sprinting for the finish line the latest. All the victory types can come ridiculously early if you're playing an empire well-suited to them and start focusing early enough, though: it ranges from around turn 70 for a science victory with an excellent galaxy with the Riftborn to a bit after 120 for an economic victory with a weak start.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

HundredBears posted:

It's at the very least competitive with the fastest victory types, and probably the one that lets you pivot from empire-building to sprinting for the finish line the latest. All the victory types can come ridiculously early if you're playing an empire well-suited to them and start focusing early enough, though: it ranges from around turn 70 for a science victory with an excellent galaxy with the Riftborn to a bit after 120 for an economic victory with a weak start.

turn numbers based on normal game speed or fast?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Those are for normal. The Endless games have always been short by the standards of the genre, but ES2 is particularly bad due to the way it's possible to skip or ignore vast swathes of the technology tree (note that it's the economic victory, the one least tech-gated, that's the slowest). The bugginess and questionable balancing decisions don't help either: I mention the Riftborn and not the Sophons for the science victory because of the over-powerful and possibly buggy way their science singularities work along with their all-around strength as a faction.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mjolnerd posted:

Anyone have any luck using the AOE Blast weapon?

I found that once I equipped it, I had a much harder time taking down other carriers/arks.

I thought the AoE weapon was specifically meant for wiping out a whole lot of small ships at once, and can't really handle the big guys.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Tree Bucket posted:

I thought the AoE weapon was specifically meant for wiping out a whole lot of small ships at once, and can't really handle the big guys.

It is, I was just noting that it then kills your ability to take on carriers effectively. really kills your mid and large hull dps.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Does anyone know the gene splicing bonus from the Vaulters Expansion factions? I can't find them listed anywhere. :saddowns:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Has anyone got the new DLC? Worth it?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

IAmThatIs posted:

Has anyone got the new DLC? Worth it?

More FlyByNo music is always worth it imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJQmYemc6c

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Overminty posted:

More FlyByNo music is always worth it imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJQmYemc6c
I'd empty quote but, but it's Amplitude so it's worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just bought dlc for the game and now there's quests and music and soundtracks? Must be doing better than I thought. gently caress.