Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The thing that really is a WTF is that the older GTR's are well known to cop a shitload of abuse. Same guy had a R32 and R34 are tarmac rally cars and the R34 was not just horribly fast but quite reliable - Sure, pushing the limits of any car will result in expensive detonations but the R35 really seems that it was built on the teethering edge of reliabilty to start with. Add that with the undenied ability to screw up the power sooooo easily, added to the fact it is a big heavy car and you got yourself mechanical grenades.

The RB26 is more fragile than the RB25 in my experience simply because the RB26 has more moving parts with a habit to spin bearings since is misses the oil squirters the RB25 has. That said if you rebuild an RB26 and retrofit the squirters and use a tune that airs on the side of rich with decent cooling they are fine to give stick too upto about 600bhp with stock crank, rods and pistons. Above that you want to upgrade, not to say the stock internals won't do more but it becomes a question of for how long. Of course the 1JZ/2JZ are famous for 1000bhp builds on a stock bottom end but there we go.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Stick a Barra into one

In an R35? Would need bit of fiddling since it runs a V6 not an I6 but people are already throwing Turbo Barras into older GTRs in Oz as I am sure you are aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't mind a 4 door R33 GTS-T as a daily :v

Selling the wife on it would be a tough task though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't mind r33s. I had a mate in 1997 or 1998 who had a gts-t and it was pretty good.
Previously we were both rotorheads, we never paid more than 2k for an old RX in the early 90s and they were bloody fun years. him with rx4 ($1600)and rx2 ($1100) and me with rx3 ($1400) and rx4 ($1300). Anyway the writing was on the wall unless you didn't buy a 13BT with big dollars on the rebuild and turbo at least, or we need to get a 20b to be fast. So much engineering, parts were getting hard to find for the chassis' too, no more cheap under $2k cars. I think back then we both decided no such thing as fast rotors that are cheap street cars. He went holden, merc and nissan and I went ford and bmw.

Of course r32 is god like status

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I vaguely knew a dude in the early 2000s who was going to have "Australia's first ever 7-second rotary" with his blaze orange FD RX-7. Owned (maybe still owns) Maztech in Thornbury. They had a bunch of t-shirts printed up with the claim in bold letters over a stylised drawing of the car.

Then the week before they were going to run at Heathcote to get the record, PAC Performance hit 7.98 in their purple RX-7. The whole rotary racing scene laughed their arses off because of how much of a prick the dude from Maztech was. I had one of the t-shirts for ages, I think I lost it in a move a while back though.

My Skyline story is that when the GT-R won Bathurst in the early 90s, my aunt was the distribution manager for Nissan Australia. The executives had insane hard-ons for Godzilla and wanted to bring in a limited run to Australia to sell at dealerships. They brought in 100 of them in 1991 and priced them at ninety eight thousand dollars, which is over AUD$180k today. My aunt told them there was maybe a market for 20 of them. They ended up selling 16 of them at full price and then having to steeply discount the rest to get them to move. And even the Aus-delivery ones these days aren't worth all that much, comparatively - one of the most absolute mint examples of them sold for $91k at auction last year. Not exactly an investment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BigPaddy posted:

In an R35? Would need bit of fiddling since it runs a V6 not an I6 but people are already throwing Turbo Barras into older GTRs in Oz as I am sure you are aware.

Think of a car, an Aussie has dropped a Barra into it.

quote:

Previously we were both rotorheads, we never paid more than 2k for an old RX in the early 90s and they were bloody fun years. him with rx4 ($1600)and rx2 ($1100) and me with rx3 ($1400) and rx4 ($1300). Anyway the writing was on the wall unless you didn't buy a 13BT with big dollars on the rebuild and turbo at least, or we need to get a 20b to be fast. So much engineering, parts were getting hard to find for the chassis' too, no more cheap under $2k cars. I think back then we both decided no such thing as fast rotors that are cheap street cars. He went holden, merc and nissan and I went ford and bmw.

If you had held onto the RX cars you would be sitting on a VERY valuable car..... the prices have gone nuts. The big reason why I am holding onto my Rx7 is just simply it's beating my super for stored value growth with the way things are going.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the guys I know had two of them.

And the remains of five motors

And the pieces of four gearboxes.

and and yeah upgrading them to take extended punishment is kinda..... expensive.

I htink he kept two of the blocks for table stands.

My friend runs one as part of his Supercar/Drifting business and can confirm that at 800bhp even with an apparently strengthened gearbox it shat 4th gear necessitating a £10,000 gearbox rebuild/upgrade.

I always fancied an R32/R33 GT-R, however now the prices firming up for nice ones here mean that they are in the 'too nice to thrash around a track' territory. Although the last R33 GT-R I encountered on track kept holding me up in corners and then rocketed away from me on the straights in hilarious fashion. Not that all GT-R drivers are like that obviously.

Funny thing though, every person who I've asked who's owned a GT-R has said not to buy one haha.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I know 3 guys with R35 GTRs. All of them go on about how fast they are on paper but won’t do anything other than speed in a straight line on an A road.
One has 800hp and he won’t launch or track it.
What’s the point?

I just don’t get it.

Also I saw a lady picking up her kids in a lairy nismo one. That was weird.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bape Culture posted:

What’s the point?

I just don’t get it.

So they can boast about their wicked sick GTR that is faster than a space shuttle mate.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BigPaddy posted:

So they can boast about their wicked sick GTR that is faster than a space shuttle mate.

When I was in Socal there was a local guy who had a ~1000whp R35. All he would do is try to race liter bikes on the highway.

Even with that, he was still blowing up upgraded transmissions. It's a neat car but gently caress ever owning one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I know you can buy cars at Power Vehicles at Ebisu, but I wonder if there is a service that will hold the Japanese equivalent of a title and garage a car for a fee.
Pick something up <25yr old, hold it / use once a year, export eventually.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

I know you can buy cars at Power Vehicles at Ebisu, but I wonder if there is a service that will hold the Japanese equivalent of a title and garage a car for a fee.

Don't know about the other stuff but the storage thing is absolutely a real thing people do. Works best with stuff that's just a few months out from becoming legal but I'm positive there are R33 and probably even R34 Skylines sitting in a Japanese garage, waiting.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Think of a car, an Aussie has dropped a Barra into it.

If you had held onto the RX cars you would be sitting on a VERY valuable car..... the prices have gone nuts. The big reason why I am holding onto my Rx7 is just simply it's beating my super for stored value growth with the way things are going.

I know. But always moving house and never having a garage. My life has always sucked...
Still, if you remember I managed to get $9.5k for some rx3 and rx4 parts like lights, bumpers, grilles plus 12AT and 13BP, trans, plus interior bits along with and an old 808 shell and complete old 929.
E: Even then I was like what the hell happened to my diffs, brake upgrades, seats and wheels? Like seriously who stole or dumped them? MF's get lost or rotted when nowhere to store them and always moving.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 23, 2018

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Wrar posted:

I wouldn't mind a 4 door R33 GTS-T as a daily :v

Selling the wife on it would be a tough task though.

It is not the GTS-T but I have a R34 GT-T 4 door daily and its workable. They share a lot between them; single turbo, RWD, RB25det and HICAS.

It's also a complete and constant sadness watching daily use take its toll. Mine is 17 years old this in November and things are starting to break.

Last year it was mechanical; I blew the gearbox boosting onto the highway, the tail shaft let go because the rebuilt gearbox now shifts much harder and then when my wallet couldn't take any more the rotors ran out of meat. Keeping the car stock would have saved me a lot of head aches. This year its been electrical; central locking failed at Christmas, the power windows are being inconsistent and that's an odd whir from the fuel pump. I'm ignoring always: all dings its amassing, the foam that starting to collapse in the seats and a bunch of other strange noises (I hear you moving around up there intercooler piping! I hear you!).

The driving makes up for pretty much every problem I have with it. Even if it tries to kill me every now and then it is lots of fun and I've had two baby seats in the back no problem if that is your jam. Four adults fit but I'm tall so I have to have the drivers seat all the way back... and the fire extinguisher in the passenger foot well has locked that seat in place so being in the back sucks for anyone over 13.

Pro tip: Don't tell the wife any of this. I don't tell mine.

Edit:

Bape Culture posted:

Now post a normal 33 I dare you

Some normal 33's I've come across:

Bonus:

Also, no R31 love?

tobu fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 24, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tobu posted:

Also, no R31 love?

Give me the one that looks just like that but is the hatch.
So loving COOL

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The R35's price on the used market, in general, seems to have dropped considerably since last time I looked at them a few years ago. Is that because they are seen as being particularly unreliable cars now?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Titanium skids are awesome :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Release countermeasures!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

F1 anti-missle feature. I was kinda hoping they would include car to car weaponry this year, but stepping up the game to include flak is kinda loving the whole thing up.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'm surprised no on else replied to this one..that was fun. I love outrun.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

angryhampster posted:

I'm surprised no on else replied to this one..that was fun. I love outrun.

I thought it was just the song, I had no idea they made a video

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tobu posted:

Also, no R31 love?

DR30, yeah.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Just got a new Civic; noticed this after accidentally pulling out the little nonslip mat in the consol

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rock My Socks! posted:

Just got a new Civic; noticed this after accidentally pulling out the little nonslip mat in the consol

Yup, there's a whole series of those.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
VFR750...?

edit: NS500. drat

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That's way cool.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Psssst

https://play.hotwheels.com/en-us/collection/detail/82-nissan-skyline-r30?carId=FJV44

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I added an additional rental reservation to the trip... A Honda S660. Mid engine turbo 660cc with a 6spd. 64hp. :lol:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hell yes!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

I added an additional rental reservation to the trip... A Honda S660. Mid engine turbo 660cc with a 6spd. 64hp. :lol:

oh god that looks hilariously fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

I know of a few people that did that for the E34 M5 Wagon. It's pretty common to do for rare cars and special/limited additions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's probably what happened to all the cheap TVR Cerberas.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yay for midget brapping!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

That’s loving sick; I didn’t know thst Honda did stuff like that.

I was kind of worried about trading in my S60 for Japanese econobox, but this thing has way more perspnality than anything I’ve ever owned, CVT and all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You can bet your sweet rear end and half a titty I have one of those 😎

I also have a model kit of the race version I'm yet to build.

BlackMK4 posted:

Even though I dislike the styling quite a bit I still want one because it's tiny and silly and likely the perfect car for me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

That loving Studebaker is goddamn amazing. Coyote powered stude business coupe.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:swoon:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

tobu posted:

Also, no R31 love?

R31 is cool and a clean Paul Newman one was posted in the craigslist gold thread a few months ago iirc

r32 is obviously king but that r31 and the older ones will always look good as time goes by. the current GTR isnt much to look at and really the most interesting thing about it is the performance:price

i also dailied a janky RB25det swap with the boost as low as possible for like 4 years and it has been good despite doing the absolute bare minimum to keep it alive and watching it trudge through poo poo that would have killed off any of the crappy american cars i've owned in the past before i bothered to fix it

i'm kinda worried because i've been letting it sit this past month but we'll see what happens :ohdear:

Thief fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 25, 2018

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

BlackMK4 posted:

Mind if I ask where you're renting it from? My wife and I are heading to Japan on Thursday and I was looking to rent one of these. I think I saw one for rent on Omoren.com but their website seems to be having issues. I was seriously considering importing one (to Australia) and using it as my daily driver but I chickened out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How to import laws to the US work if I weren't to use the vehicle for street use? I feel like that would be an awesome autox car.