Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I really hope the Jags just go to full time teal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quyashqa
Apr 7, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Like red with black. Hell, that's right.

Great Username/Av/post combo!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've been watching some games from this season and something I noticed is that Bortles throw really good touch passes when the coverage is favorable. This is more and more important in this league with ball batting defensive linemen and interception-hungry zone defense. He really is good at putting a light touch on a ball and getting it where it should be. But he's horrible at fitting balls into tight windows or coverages where there are a lot of moving parts that make it confusing to tell who is actually open or when they will be open.

I doubt after this time it's something that can be fixed. But the Jaguars tried to use this as much as possible which indicates good coaching. I think they should stick with a strong ballhawk defense and an offense with a lot of RPOs, trick plays, checkdowns and deep shots whenever available. That kind of sounds like most offense but you have to take out long progressions and mid-range throws in the middle of the field. When a deep route gets open down the field Bortles is actually pretty good at hitting them, I hope they continue finding success with these methods. Might be a good idea to get a decent backup QB and start evaluating and developing, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Play posted:

I've been watching some games from this season and something I noticed is that Bortles throw really good touch passes when the coverage is favorable. This is more and more important in this league with ball batting defensive linemen and interception-hungry zone defense. He really is good at putting a light touch on a ball and getting it where it should be. But he's horrible at fitting balls into tight windows or coverages where there are a lot of moving parts that make it confusing to tell who is actually open or when they will be open.

I doubt after this time it's something that can be fixed. But the Jaguars tried to use this as much as possible which indicates good coaching. I think they should stick with a strong ballhawk defense and an offense with a lot of RPOs, trick plays, checkdowns and deep shots whenever available. That kind of sounds like most offense but you have to take out long progressions and mid-range throws in the middle of the field. When a deep route gets open down the field Bortles is actually pretty good at hitting them, I hope they continue finding success with these methods. Might be a good idea to get a decent backup QB and start evaluating and developing, though.
I noticed some of these things this year too, because I actually got to see most of the games (thank you reddit dot com slash nflstreams). I think with Allen Robinson back and better guards the Offense could take another step up with Bortles, but still not be amazing.

Overall I agree the coaching was a positive but the conservative nature of either Marrone or Hackett at the ends of halves or games was the direct cause of several of their losses. And Wash/the Defense getting conservative when they were beating the Patriots....all of a sudden switch to a zone defense? Against Tom Brady in the 4th quarter?!? :cmon: edit: though that could have been on Marrone's orders, so who knows.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 23, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My body is ready for another year on the Bort train

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I noticed some of these things this year too, because I actually got to see most of the games (thank you reddit dot com slash nflstreams). I think with Allen Robinson back and better guards the Offense could take another step up with Bortles, but still not be amazing.

Overall I agree the coaching was a positive but the conservative nature of either Marrone or Hackett at the ends of halves or games was the direct cause of several of their losses. And Wash/the Defense getting conservative when they were beating the Patriots....all of a sudden switch to a zone defense? Against Tom Brady in the 4th quarter?!? :cmon: edit: though that could have been on Marrone's orders, so who knows.

Oh I know. I was so frustrated during the Patriots Jaguars game. When the Jags got the ball at the end of the first half and decided not to go for points I thought the game was over right there. As the Eagles showed you HAVE to stay on the attack against the Patriots. Plus it made them look shook and created a 100% chance that they wouldn't get extra points on the board before halftime. That could've changed the game completely in my opinion.

Randaconda posted:

I don't need to know what you and Bortles get up to in your spare time

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Head Coach Mike Vrabel

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Randaconda posted:

I heard a fun speculation on a podcast that the Jags could go for Lamar Jackson, have Bortles play 2018 (with a little pressure on him from the new rookie) and then see what happens.

I love the idea of that Jags team with Jackson at the helm, personally.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I am going to be super sad when Lamar is gone by their pick or they pass on him

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Head Coach Mike Vrabel

still don't know how to feel about this one to be honest

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shoutout to the Jags for keeping the Texans' throne warm in 2017. We'll be reclaiming it, thanks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Play posted:

I love the idea of that Jags team with Jackson at the helm, personally.

Jackson Jacksonville Jacksonuars

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Congrats on keeping Bortles another several years I guess?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mega64 posted:

Congrats on keeping Bortles another several years I guess?

My bortolences, Jags fans :(

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
jags defense is stacked as gently caress on madden and i love it, 95 ovr.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:sigh:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Guys, what if it's just a way to trade him away so we can sign Cousins.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TSBX posted:

Guys, what if it's just a way to trade him away so we can sign Cousins.
No one is going to trade for that contact.

I just hope Coughlin met with Marrone and Hackett and they said "yes we believe in him and we will be able to run a better offense next year with a better OL and ARob back".

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
IM TRYING TO DEAL OK

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This Bort's going to term.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Woof.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I don't get it but I'm fine with teams in the division sabotaging themselves

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

gotta stick with what works imho

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcAcC1O6Xyk

My QB.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad Bortles is back

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Draft Lamar Jackson anyway you dicks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Jags were convinced by the Eagles winning with Big Dick Nick that you don't need a good QB if your defense is good enough, but they ignore that Nick is much better than Bortles and also has a much bigger dick

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

This is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over retaining an Okay But Eh quarterback in a league that doesn't exactly have an abundance of those.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Typical Titans fan has to change the subject to Mariota every time

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Intruder posted:

:piss:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
mariota is the best qb in the nfl

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Intruder posted:

I don't see Deshaun Watson passing touchdowns to himself. System player, IMO.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Metapod posted:

*checks if Eli Manning retired yet*

:thunk:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Athanatos posted:

*checks if Eli Manning retired yet*

:thunk:

but you repeat yourself

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

I'm glad Bortles is back

I agree. I used to be real hard on him but he's not as bad as all that. In my opinion he's a legitimate NFL starter, but definitely towards the bottom of that particular 32.

I like his grit and I like his dedication to the game even though, as he so accurately put it, he "isn't a natural thrower of the ball."

poo poo though, you guys got to the Division Championship, that's nothing to sneeze at. I think having Bort play next year is fine, and I'm curious to see if he can keep showing improvement. That being said, I think it's definitely time to draft a quarterback behind him to eventually step forward, hopefully in 2019. I don't think Bortles will take you to the Super Bowl and it'd be a shame to waste that Jacksonville defense.

That's loving legit. I love that. He didn't even have to think twice. From now on Bortles canon is that he is a former cig-ripping, hard-drinking, cat-calling construction worker who one day decided he wanted more out of his life, walked on during training camp and took the team by storm with his presence of command and his blue collar ways

Play fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 25, 2018

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Metapod posted:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking forward to the Titans besting the Jags next year while also watching the Texans win the division.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What else is going to change with the Texans besides DeShaun Watson coming back? He was amazing, absolutely no doubt about that but him and that team also lost to the Patriots, Chiefs and Seahawks. He played wonderfully in all those games but they still lost. Other teams who lost their starting QB managed to find more success. Anyone know what the Texans plan is to build a better team around him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They have $65m in cap space, presumably JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus are coming back, Deshaun is actually going to get to spend camp/preseason playing with the first team offense, and uhhhh I dunno :shrug:

• Locked thread