Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean who really cares what rotten tomatoes thinks. Black panther was a snooze fest and it’s very highly rated on there

I trust it for horror movies and that’s pretty much it. They always trash comedies which is the best genre so who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The reason it came up was a as simple as critics acting like some mediocre Netflix movies were apocalypticly bad, therefore it's not worth taking them into consideration, and some people took it upon themselves to act like we were propping up some massive anti Netflix conspiracy theory.

I'm the exact same way though. I'm a big horror junkie, and there is so much literal trash in the genre that I find RT really useful for wading through the garbage. other than that I find critics practically useless. Reception is so hype based anymore it's impossible to get a read on a lot of things when trying to use RT.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A MIRACLE posted:

I mean who really cares what rotten tomatoes thinks. Black panther was a snooze fest and it’s very highly rated on there

I trust it for horror movies and that’s pretty much it. They always trash comedies which is the best genre so who gives a poo poo

Apparently Hollywood cares because people don't want to spend money on lovely movies and rotten tomatoes is the go-to website for most.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, like, I'm seeing the anti-Netflix bias less in the fact that the movies are getting reviewed negatively, and more in the fact that they're getting treated like they're entirely unworthy of consideration and among the actual worst movies of all time. Mute isn't, like, a fantastic movie, but some of the hate it's getting is just absurdly over-the-top; ditto Bright, which probably would have gotten a lot of "meh, it's fine" reviews in theaters, and on Netflix attracted absurd amounts of vitriol.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

yeah, if bright would have been released in theaters, it would have got like a 40-50% rotten tomatoes score and not much fanfare. its weird that the initial critic reaction actually got it more notice and caused more dialogue.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cloverfield Paradox would probably have been slammed even more if it was released in theaters though, imho. I know I walked away thinking “That was a decent time waster sure, but if I had seen this in a theater I would be loving PISSED.”

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

AceOfFlames posted:

Cloverfield Paradox would probably have been slammed even more if it was released in theaters though, imho. I know I walked away thinking “That was a decent time waster sure, but if I had seen this in a theater I would be loving PISSED.”

I liked it better than I expected to, but I'm a sucker for quantum physics and parallel dimensions, but yeah it was decent as a Netflix original. It definitely felt shoehorned into the Cloverfield universe more than 10 Cloverfield Lane did. Of course, without the shoe horning its a pretty standard fare Sci Fi flick with no real shocks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've already forgotten what Cloverfield Paradox was about, or who was in it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I've already forgotten what Cloverfield Paradox was about, or who was in it

I was definitely baffled when I read reviews referring to TCP’s “Big name cast”. I recognized NONE of those people.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I really, really didn't like The Meyerowitz Stories and don't understand why it has a positive RT score.

This review of Mute, which I haven't seen, is exactly how I feel about The Meyerowitz Stories.

Allyn posted:

Mute The Meyerowitz Stories is hot garbage: a tonal nightmare, the comedy is atrocious, the script is pathetic , the plotting is pretty dull even before it veers into territory best described as catastrophically misjudged, the vague attempts at being kinky are laughable (and not in a good way), the direction is utter garbage I hate it. [...] every time it cuts to Rudd/Theroux any storyline the pacing falls to pieces as it gets drowned in a vacuum of anti-comedy. Detestable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

I feel like Bright had the opposite going on. It got absolutely ripped apart, so since it was on Metflix, people were like “oh, I have to see this”, but then when it was decent there was a bit of questioning what movie critics watched and if they were dragging it through the mud for no reason.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I really, really didn't like The Meyerowitz Stories and don't understand why it has a positive RT score.

This review of Mute, which I haven't seen, is exactly how I feel about The Meyerowitz Stories.

I usually like Noah Baumbach’s movies, but I didn’t like The Meyerowitz Stories at all.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AceOfFlames posted:

I was definitely baffled when I read reviews referring to TCP’s “Big name cast”. I recognized NONE of those people.

Not even Ziyi Zhang? She was in a lot of those Crouching Tiger style movies, including Crouching Tiger itself

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Chris O Dowd should be in more stuffq

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
thatst he movie where adam sandler was a shoe cobbler that looked kinda nice for 10 minutes until he discovered his dads magical cobbler machine that can transform adam sandler into the person that ownes the shoes?

e: no wait thats the cobbler

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

one of norways biggest actors was in that movie and its usually pretty normal that norwegian media goes wild when a norwegian actor is in a "american" movie, not a single peep about the movie here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I recognized O’Dowd, Oyelowo, Brühl, and the German guy from The Martian, but I’m not sure I’d call the cast well known. Brühl is probably the best well-known among Americans for Inglorious Basterds and Civil War, followed by Oyelowo for Selma.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

this guy? thats the norwegian actor. it was big news when he was in that the rock is hercules movie and the martian. this time i didnt even know the movie was coming out before it did

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

datajugend posted:

this guy? thats the norwegian actor. it was big news when he was in that the rock is hercules movie and the martian. this time i didnt even know the movie was coming out before it did

I phrased it poorly. I meant I recognized him from his role as the German astronaut in The Martian.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Recognized him from the glorious Headhunters

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I usually like Noah Baumbach’s movies, but I didn’t like The Meyerowitz Stories at all.

Maybe because Greta Gerwig didn’t co-write, since she was busy doing Ladybird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Maybe because Greta Gerwig didn’t co-write, since she was busy doing Ladybird.

Is it just me or does she have the most old lady name ever?

Also, totally didn’t see Ladybird since I was dead certain it was a biopic about LBJs wife.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Thanks everyone who recommended "As Above, So Below". Never heard of it before and ended up loving it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, totally didn’t see Ladybird since I was dead certain it was a biopic about LBJs wife.

It's a fantastic movie, and I would not be upset if it won Best Picture.

Still rooting for Call Me By Your Name though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a fantastic movie, and I would not be upset if it won Best Picture.

Still rooting for Call Me By Your Name though.

I don’t doubt it’s fantastic, but me and a bunch of people skipped it because the name made us expect it was about something else entirely.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is that a loving Moon reference with Sam Bell at the start of Mute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

No not at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doorknob Slobber posted:

...is that a joke post?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A MIRACLE posted:

I trust it for horror movies and that’s pretty much it.

It's all over the place with horror movies.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is it? I feel like recently the ones I've seen in theatres have matched up really well. Oh well i'm just going to watch random poo poo now based on nothing I guess

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doorknob Slobber posted:

they're set in the same universe, that "reference" is... more of an epilogue, really

e: i feel like this is legit something people might not be aware of, it's not just a sneaky "they're both Duncan Jones movies" joke, that's literally what the ending of Moon leads to

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

A MIRACLE posted:

Is it? I feel like recently the ones I've seen in theatres have matched up really well. Oh well i'm just going to watch random poo poo now based on nothing I guess

If only there was a really good thread on a gay dead internet forum about the very topic of horror movies...

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Aside from The Ritual, what's good for horror on netflix? Just watched They Come At Night

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

old.flv posted:

Aside from The Ritual, what's good for horror on netflix? Just watched They Come At Night

It Follows

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

old.flv posted:

Top tier:
It Follows
Under the Shadow
The Babadook

Pretty good:
Hush
Gerald's Game
The Conjuring
Starry Eyes
The Invitation

Not that scary but horror-adjacent:
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

There's probably more, I just grabbed the first ten I saw.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I hated Mute, it was painfully unfunny, way too long, and the dialog was execrable. What was clearly intended to be a lurid and provocative vision of future sex came off as desperately edgy instead (apart from the incest which was just nasty stuff), and the sci-fi elements were boringly generic. As for the negative Netflix reviews, I also thought The Cloverfield Paradox was truly awful and Bright was awful whenever Orc Cop was offscreen so my views don't seem to be jibing with this thread much these days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Filthy Hans posted:

What was clearly intended to be a lurid and provocative vision of future sex came off as desperately edgy instead

...what? There's a character who's a gay prostitute (which is shown as seemingly legal and basically accepted) and another character who's at least implied to be a trans woman. Those aren't really lurid and provocative future things, and that's about the craziest the sex got as far as I noticed (aside from, y'know, the elephant in the living room).

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Finally got to The Ritual. Glad I knew nothing going in, and loved the hell out of it.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

old.flv posted:

The Eyes of My Mother and Raw are mandatory watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I didn't like the babadook, it just didnt do it for me.

Troll hunter and Tucker and Dale vs evil are the poo poo though.