Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Glazier posted:

He's not doing it with his money, he's doing it with our money and taking a cut off the top for himself. He's a glorified government contractor who used the media to build a cult of personality.

Yes, how dare he progress space tech more in five years than it had gone in the past twenty

The gently caress are you on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Wow, thread made me go learn more about vultures on my own. They're pretty awesome. Their pee is acidic.

Bobby Digital posted:

Yours could be too!

That's right! Dream hard and ASPIRE TO GREATNESS!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yes, how dare he progress space tech more in five years than it had gone in the past twenty

Musk has definitely built a cult of personality around himself, and as we live on a quickly warming planet with limited resources I can completely understand someone who feels that launching a sports car into the asteroid belt is a staggering waste, and an obnoxious self aggrandizing publicity stunt. The Schadenfreude is on all of us as the environmental policies of the extant superpowers doom the entire human race faster than we can invent the technology to leave the planet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did he just fire a car into space or it was simply on top of whatever else was going up there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SiKboy posted:

Musk has definitely built a cult of personality around himself, and as we live on a quickly warming planet with limited resources I can completely understand someone who feels that launching a sports car into the asteroid belt is a staggering waste, and an obnoxious self aggrandizing publicity stunt. The Schadenfreude is on all of us as the environmental policies of the extant superpowers doom the entire human race faster than we can invent the technology to leave the planet.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/967080904022740992

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

poptart_fairy posted:

Did he just fire a car into space or it was simply on top of whatever else was going up there.

Doesnt matter. Theres a reason that NASA astronauts werent allowed to just pack whatever they wanted to bring to space. Every 1kg payload on the rocket requires the rocket use more fuel to get into space. I've seen different numbers for how much fuel is needed per kilogram, but a common estimate is about 9kg of fuel for every 1kg of payload. Google tells me that a tesla roadster (sans dummy) has a mass of about 1300 kg, so Musk may have burned 11700 kg of fuel essentially just because his ribcage prevents him getting far over enough to literally suck his own dick.

Edit: the 9/1 ratio is something I looked up a few years ago, and hopefully modern rockets are more efficient, but there is not getting away from gravity (as it were), and basic physics hasnt changed, so regardless of the actual numbers Musk wasted a fairly significant amount of fuel on a dumb ego stroking publicity stunt. Like I'm glad move money is being spent on space as the US has decided that underfunding NASA is the way to go, but I wish the guy spending it was less of a oval office.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Feb 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They were testing the rocket to see how much of a payload it could carry into space, originally they were just going to put a big concrete block inside it before Ol' Musky decided to add a little razzle dazzle to the launch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

No one is going to want their payload sent up on a test flight. Test launches usually use a block of lead or steel. In this case they sent up a car, which works just as well to test both lifting of payload to orbit (success) and release into the pre determined trajectory (not so successful).

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously. I understand not liking musk and the cult around him but shooting the car into space was brilliant publicity. Without it most people wouldn't have given the slightest gently caress about the launch.
By launching the car he turned it into a world-wide discussed event that reminded people that yeah, that whole space thing still exists.
Like others said, he didn't just launch the car for shits and giggles either. The rocket would have launched anyway because of the whole "it was never tested, let's check if it blows up before we use it for something important" thing.
I can take a bit of musk jerking of if it loving advances space travel.

Also lol at 11000kg of more used fuel. The loving thing burns 500000kg of fuel on launch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah with that clarification I see the point. Huge difference between replacing dead weight with something fancy, and deciding to launch a car for fancy's sake.

Maybe the guy is weird, but in this case :shrug:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thry launched a car shaped object into space, im not sure theyve said it was an actual car or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Sometimes I wonder what people 200 years from now will be scared of when they're living on a warmer planet with giant underwater cities. Because while climate change can be a huge pain in our rear end and kill/displace millions, I don't think it's going to wipe out all of humanity. We fought back from having less than a football stadium's occupancy on a frozen hellscape of a planet, we may be able to ride this one out too. And we'll have caused it! Think of all the cool stories and myths that will come from that!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also kind of the whole point of this launch vehicle and its breakthrough feature is reusability, so you know, we don’t have to drop huge chunks of metal and fuel residue into the ocean every time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Also kind of the whole point of this launch vehicle and its breakthrough feature is reusability, so you know, we don’t have to drop huge chunks of metal and fuel residue into the ocean every time.

No, you don't understand. He made people like him using the media. He's evil and all the geniuses he's employing and funding and letting create more environmentally sound ways of doing things are all tainted because of it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Aramoro posted:

Thry launched a car shaped object into space, im not sure theyve said it was an actual car or not.

They've literally stated several times that it's Musk's personal sportscar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, you don't understand. He made people like him using the media. He's evil and all the geniuses he's employing and funding and letting create more environmentally sound ways of doing things are all tainted because of it.

drat. And I was considering solar w/ a bank of storage batteries to sustainably power my home. Guess I need to rethink that now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've heard he also earns money from his company. I mean, the unmitigated gall of the man.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So he's going to be super suspended for reversing on a live racetrack, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've heard he also earns money from his company. I mean, the unmitigated gall of the man.

Guillotine!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SiKboy posted:

Imagine being so dense that you accuse the guy who has sold more electric cars than anyone else on the planet and has a whole company dedicated to cheap residential solar energy, and constantly champions affordable, clean public transportation of being environmentally evil, because you don't understand the point of his space programs and he dares to have a personality.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Musk is a garbage right ring union buster but at least his billionaire vanity projects have potential of being useful

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I just don't understand the point of NASCAR trucks. They have no relation to actual trucks aside from a similar shape. I'd guess they're almost identical to regular "stock" cars underneath that skin, so why does it exist?

Is it just so hillbillies can be all like "wooo trucks!"?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

I just don't understand the point of NASCAR trucks. They have no relation to actual trucks aside from a similar shape. I'd guess they're almost identical to regular "stock" cars underneath that skin, so why does it exist?

Yup.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

Musk is a garbage right ring union buster but at least his billionaire vanity projects have potential of being useful

Nailed it.

edit:

quote:

Politically, Musk has described himself as "half Democrat, half Republican". In his own words: "I'm somewhere in the middle, socially liberal and fiscally conservative."

:laffo:

belt has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Feb 25, 2018

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

What? All I see is a bear on his live-stream.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

belt posted:

Nailed it.

edit:

:laffo:

Being fiscally conservative is incompatible with being socially liberal, unless you view social liberalism as just legal weed and legal same sex marriage. So he's either dumb or disingenuous, who knows.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I just don't understand the point of NASCAR

FTFY -
all the poo poo about "not being actual cars" applies equally to the car series - forget the painted-on grilles and headlights (and the fact that you can't buy a 2-door Camry or one with a V8 OR RWD) but the doors don't even loving open.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ReidRansom posted:

The trucks are a lower tier feeder series, many race organizations do something similar (but not with trucks obviously).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

sarcastx posted:

FTFY -
all the poo poo about "not being actual cars" applies equally to the car series - forget the painted-on grilles and headlights (and the fact that you can't buy a 2-door Camry or one with a V8 OR RWD) but the doors don't even loving open.

This I understand though. They're just racecars styled to slightly resemble production cars because of the way it started. Things like lights and doors are unnecessary and potentially hazardous. NASCAR isn't my sort of thing, but I get that aspect. Just don't see the point of a truck version that is pretty much identical except for the vehicle it is styled after. I just don't get what it brings to the table aside from "Except it's trucks!"

Crustashio posted:

The trucks are a lower tier feeder series, many race organizations do something similar (but not with trucks obviously).

That's at least some differentiation, I suppose.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The same reason the spaceflight thread became intolerable- Musk worship for a union-busting rear end in a top hat and modifying existing tech that was pioneered and progressed by NASA publicly before he started getting credit for it lately (count the number of "first landed rocket!" accolades in the press which forget things like DC-X or even ignoring the space shuttle's existence entirely). All while doing such futuristic things as pushing for the elimination of mass transit and getting into twitter slapflights with transit professionals who attempt to change his mind.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

angry nerds

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MageMage posted:

What? All I see is a bear on his live-stream.

:groan:

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Okan170 posted:

The same reason the spaceflight thread became intolerable- Musk worship for a union-busting rear end in a top hat and modifying existing tech that was pioneered and progressed by NASA publicly before he started getting credit for it lately (count the number of "first landed rocket!" accolades in the press which forget things like DC-X or even ignoring the space shuttle's existence entirely). All while doing such futuristic things as pushing for the elimination of mass transit and getting into twitter slapflights with transit professionals who attempt to change his mind.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Okan170 posted:

Wasn't he trying to push the hyperloop? Or was that someone else?

Edit: IMO if you're going to be an exploitative capitalist, at least push the boundaries of technology.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

poptart_fairy posted:

Test rocket, if it blows up you don't want something you care about on it. So yeah, just the car.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zil posted:

They also defecate on themselves to cool off. Just amazingly digesting birds.

Bird poop and pee is the same thing* since they process ammonia down quite a bit and dispose of it in a pasty medium to preserve water. Fish basically piss it out right away since they've got unrestricted access to water. Humans produce urea and flush that out with moderate amounts of water.

* Not really, but it's bundled together. The white pasty stuff is the pee. The tiny black spots in the middle are the poop.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wasn't he trying to push the hyperloop? Or was that someone else?

Edit: IMO if you're going to be an exploitative capitalist, at least push the boundaries of technology.

He's been on record about disliking actual mass public transit on account of having so many people crammed together. The Hyperloop is actually kind of a reflection of that, since it's intended to use only relatively small capsules with a capacity of <20 people, so despite the high speed you have a fairly limited throughput. So it's great if you're some high-paid professional who often has to travel between major centres like Washington to NY and back, but it's not much help if you're one of the tens of thousands of people who have a daily commute from their home to their workplace and can't use a car.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol the space shuttle was garbage and was perverted by political budgets

SpaceX at least is going forward with the vision that a real NASA employee probably would have, without getting their budget yanked by house Republicans or whatever

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KoRMaK posted:

Lol the space shuttle was garbage and was perverted by political budgets

SpaceX at least is going forward with the vision that a real NASA employee probably would have, without getting their budget yanked by house Republicans or whatever

The space shuttle did serve a couple roles well, namely serving as a "temporary space station for experiments that only need a week or so to do" and building and servicing a space station (let's put it like this, can any thing that we currently have take up and bring back as much as the shuttle could? Not really). If you look at most of what the shuttle did post-Challenger, it was mostly these types of missions with a sprinkling of satellite related launches.

Beyond that, yeah, it was not good. Most of the bad parts came from the USAF and NRO, mostly wanting them to be able to retrieve spy sats and such, though arguably Hubble was saved by this functionality, the only one positive out of it.

iospace has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The shuttle and it's engine's were unnecessarily heavy. So get rid of that. Pretty sure more appollo missions would have been cheaper

E: oh you said bringing back payloads.