Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

According to Gajin hunter the only way the birds spawn is if you have your back to the apnoth while wearing the sneaky mantle. If you hear chirping then turn around and a catch one. I haven't tested this though.

I've never heard of that trick and I've captured like 10 of those things already (and I just got the quest :pram:)

They just have a chance to spawn on the backs of herbivores, you don't need the ghillie mantle and you don't need any "one weird trick" other than to spot them on the backs of aptinoth, etc. and run up and capture them. I've captured them in both the wastes and forest, a couple of times each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

enojy posted:

No it doesn't, I'm just saying most fights are over in 10 minutes or less and the opportunity to go prone and line up a perfect shot like that doesn't present itself very often. I'm of the mindset that Dragon Piercer should only be used in prime moments such as a downed, stunned, or sleeping monster. Otherwise, it's usually too much of a risk, both in vulnerability (if the monster decides to charge me) or damage loss (if the monster decides to rotate 90 degrees towards someone else and I get a whopping 3 hits out of it.)

It's not a risky play style at all. But you do you

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Crit draw dragon piercer build is super fun. It really shines against some of the larger monsters like Uragaan and Xeno Jiva. And more useful in multiplayer as you can probably get them off easier as the monster targets someone else.

Even against monsters where DP is good though, like Diablos, dashing powershots wins out. Still it's a fun build and build diversity is good.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
That dragonpiercer build looks awesome. Are there any people that have done a one shot KO against a low rank long Wyvern using that strat? Seems like you could do 1000+ damage with the right lineup

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I have one shot LR Great Jagras with it yes. I've also lopped off tempered bazil's tail with like 2 of them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shwqa posted:

According to Gajin hunter the only way the birds spawn is if you have your back to the apnoth while wearing the sneaky mantle. If you hear chirping then turn around and a catch one. I haven't tested this though.

Worked for me

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Norns posted:

It's not a risky play style at all. But you do you

We'll have to agree to disagree! I just wouldn't personally recommend it to someone for their first bow build, but against slower, larger monsters, it'd be pretty sweet to have on hand as a loadout.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

:laffo: I made this build like the first week the game came out strictly as a joke and everyone in the discord thought it was a goof

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

:laffo: I made this build like the first week the game came out strictly as a joke and everyone in the discord thought it was a goof

Cool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I actually had enough of those legendary borbs to fill every (possible) spot in the house. Did you know that instead of being placed on the floor they all get placed in shelves and on top of things? :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hgjKAk9fo

the one in the pot is my favorite

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If it's between Attack3 and Artillery3, go with Artillery. Capacity Up, the skill that gives you another phial to unload, could also be nice though, combined with Artillery thatd be a 1.45x damage modifier on your SuperAED

Agree with the skill selection for CB, Capacity Boost with Artillery 3 is CB love

Pure phial damage goes up 56%: 20% more phials (6 instead of 5, Capacity Boost) at 30% more damage each (Artillery 3) = 1.2 * 1.3 = 1.56. You said SAED damage though and I don't know how overall SAED damage is calculated. Would love to know how it compares to individual EDs.

I'd be surprised if 1 SAED with 5 filled phials is the same damage as 5 individual EDs. It's much easier to get the SAED off on even a mobile target - given that huge vertical slash finisher that drags even flying wyverns down to the ground - than spending each phial on its own via an ED right now. If they made 1 SAED = 5 * ED even ignoring the damage from the 1 vs 5 axe hits, that's pretty insane given how quickly you can get to an SAED.

AttackBacon posted:

Been messing around with a Heroics set since I was trying to figure out a good fashion hunting setup for the Diablos CB. It's pretty amusing, when Heroics triggers I've got around 1400 attack and over 500 defense.

This is awesome. Heroics seems like the Red Tearstone Ring in Dark Souls - way better damage if you're good though to survive at 35% health (20% health in DS, I think).

I've been surprised that no speedruns use it. Probably because each run is just a single monster in MHW, pure DPS checks. And there's more randomness in MHW, a good thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

v1ld posted:

This is awesome. Heroics seems like the Red Tearstone Ring in Dark Souls - way better damage if you're good though to survive at 35% health (20% health in DS, I think).

I've been surprised that no speedruns use it. Probably because each run is just a single monster in MHW, pure DPS checks. And there's more randomness in MHW, a good thing.

Probably takes more time than it'd save to get yourself down to low HP. You're either deliberately taking a few hits including knockback/knockdowns/potential stuns and wasting time that way, or standing in the acid of the Rotten Vale until you drop below the trigger.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

v1ld posted:

I think it's also a lot harder to actually get to that threshold, in past games people would barrel bomb themselves but in world even the mega bombs only do like 5 damage to players.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I actually had enough of those legendary borbs to fill every (possible) spot in the house. Did you know that instead of being placed on the floor they all get placed in shelves and on top of things? :kimchi:

oh my god

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Really a bit of a shame they didn't include the feature from Generations where guard points showed a little particle effect. It made it so much easier to figure out when you were actually guard pointing.

Good advice. You can tell you pulled off the Axe Switch guard point in World because you end up in Sword mode ready to do an SAED if you so choose instead of going gently caress gently caress gently caress if you miss it since you're stuck in horribly immobile axe mode. Being in Sword Mode is the reward and indicator.

I learnt on the barrel, but Diablos is where I was first forced to use it in practice. Doing it for any attack anytime wouldn't be hard if you knew all the tells since it's such an immediate, reflex counter unlike the beautifully named Foresight Slash. I don't know most tells sadly, so I'll probably go for evade skills.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Shwqa posted:

Just saw that today too, tried it and third time trying his technique, it worked. Got them. Still didn’t get the rare puff bird from them though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
In past games, speedrunners avoided using items like traps and bombs because they are basically videos to showcase how to best use a weapon. So best not to rely on items. Though in this game i see everyone use the rocksteady mantle and just face tank everything while they beat the poo poo out of the monster. So :shrug:

Heroics was just too strong iirc, so it was banned by the official speedrunning committee or whatever. In this game though, bombs do very little damage so there is not a reliable way to get yourself to low health outside of lava or those acid pools in the vale.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Finally beat it, now on to the grind! That being said, stupid unskippable credits.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

In past games, speedrunners avoided using items like traps and bombs because they are basically videos to showcase how to best use a weapon.

Were they though? In most cases the stuff shown in speedruns is only applicable in speedruns, because the skills they use + the amount of damage they're doing means the monster is constantly flinching and falling over, allowing them to go ham. You can learn some stuff from watching speedruns, but most of what they do isn't the kind of stuff the average person gets to use in the average hunt.

Also if things go badly in a speedrun you won't see it because those runs are discarded. How best to use a weapon would include "help the monster is chewing my face off what do I do now" in my opinion :v:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is there a way to block people? I just did a couple missions with people who put a bunch of garbage in their messages that I'd rather not see again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, double KO with Nerg cost me the carving. I couldn't run back to his corpse in time. :negative:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Were they though? In most cases the stuff shown in speedruns is only applicable in speedruns, because the skills they use + the amount of damage they're doing means the monster is constantly flinching and falling over, allowing them to go ham. You can learn some stuff from watching speedruns, but most of what they do isn't the kind of stuff the average person gets to use in the average hunt.

Also if things go badly in a speedrun you won't see it because those runs are discarded. How best to use a weapon would include "help the monster is chewing my face off what do I do now" in my opinion :v:

I should have said, how to get max dps using just the weapon..plus the broken skill set from your armor.

Watching speedruns is useful for seeing what the best dps combos are for certain situations. But yeah, the average hunter won't be pulling this stuff off ever.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

I wouldn't call this a *good* build. It's a very focused build that works in some specific situations but it's honestly pretty mediocre for general play. Especially if you primarily play solo. I've compared it to a regular Constitution build and it's much slower on most hunts. Even in an ideal situation I don't think it actually out-damages a regular DP-focused build (not to mention that DP is not optimal DPS for many monsters). It simply bursts higher, allowing you to reposition more often. Is that enough of a strength to justify the whole thing? Not in my book. Besides, Constitution bow is so much more fun to play.

A standard Constitution and Weakness Exploit bow build is the best place to start in my opinion. Don't even bother with the specific shot boosts, go with generic offensive boosts. Learn how you like to play the weapon, then focus in on a style.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah that's my house too, housebros! I do have one Bristly Crake hidden in a corner though. Watching everyone. Menacingly. Bristly Crakes are as terrifying as Downy Crakes are cute.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The new gajin hunter video is pretty useful. There are a lot more environmental traps than I realized. I'm glad I watch this before I farm the zombie dragon. I wonder if you can lure teostra to the crystals as well...

https://youtu.be/v0okb4DxtzI

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
God I just watched the GH Critdraw bow vid and I'm mega triggered. Weakness Exploit only works on weakzones, it doesn't snapshot for the whole DP. DP is garbage on the Rath's because their bodies are not weakzones at all. Especially with the Diablos bow! At least use Nerg or Great Hunters if you are going to try to crit draw a Rath.

Plus, due to how they move and position themselves, even when trapped or downed, it's very hard to get sufficient hits per DP anyways. You do SO much more damage doing a normal and/or power shot style on Raths, since their primary weakzone is the head. At least he didn't recommend the Anja Arch or something. Usually GH is great for info but he's dropping the ball a bit on this video.

Shwqa posted:

The new gajin hunter video is pretty useful. There are a lot more environmental traps than I realized. I'm glad I watch this before I farm the zombie dragon. I wonder if you can lure teostra to the crystals as well...

https://youtu.be/v0okb4DxtzI

Yeah this is a good vid. Those traps are super useful, you should definitely be using them. I haven't found any more drop traps than the ones in the video, although there are other "traps" such as breakable trees that turn into vine traps, the sandpit in Wildspire, etc.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Is there a trick to the vinetraps in the forest? I've been camping around them to bait the monster to hit the tree but it feels like I'm missing something obvious.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
guys please rate my first speedrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_PvDUTzIM

I've never seen so many small monsters on top of each other before

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Just had my tempered target throwing skulls on the minimap, stuck in one trap then another, ignoring tranqs. Had to slap one final time. Be on your guard.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

There seems to be a bit funky going on with monster aggression. I saw someone say to flash diablos before aggroing her gives you a huge window to attack. I tried it and it worked, after the blindness the diablos just stood there for like 10-15 seconds while I was going full ham on it.

Also I have used wyvern fire on a multi monster while they weren't aggressive and most the time they don't aggro. I think the push back puts me out of a range where the game thinks a melee attack should come from.

There has got to be some way to exploit this. Maybe just flash bomb every monster before it aggro. The idea still needs a lot of testing. Anyone else experience stuff like this?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Colorspray posted:

Is there a trick to the vinetraps in the forest? I've been camping around them to bait the monster to hit the tree but it feels like I'm missing something obvious.

I feel like a stagger makes it work but I'm not sure.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How hard are the Arena monsters, the ones that give you coins and stuff? I want to get that Wyvern Jawbone GS but I’m only like HR 14.

Toasterferret
Feb 20, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How hard are the Arena monsters, the ones that give you coins and stuff? I want to get that Wyvern Jawbone GS but I’m only like HR 14.

You have to do them with gear they give you, so what you have doesnt matter. The real challenge is finding someone else to do then with.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Despite the ~170 hours I've put into this game, I did two arena quests and that was enough for me. (I did them solo). I hope nothing top-tier comes from them, otherwise I'm gonna have to pass it up.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
^^^The best LS comes from the arena, if you use an elementless gem on it.

The Azure Los arena is the hardest one imo. Since you only get three flash pods. Actually I think one of the weapons get 6?

The two dual monsters are tough but they spend a lot of time beating each other too.

They're doable but those three just take a looong time to solo, since hp is scaled up to multiplayer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CVagts posted:

Despite the ~170 hours I've put into this game, I did two arena quests and that was enough for me. (I did them solo). I hope nothing top-tier comes from them, otherwise I'm gonna have to pass it up.

There's a couple of weapons in their top 3 from arena coins but you're absolutely fine going without.
Seems to me that gathering hall arena is a bit of side filler content and not a fleshed out part of the game in its own right. It's kind of a shame because the concept and current implemention is actually pretty cool.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You get extra equipment from the arena every XX completions, so far I've got two pieces of semi-useful headgear that'll be high on the list for the fashionable dressup types. Game got stuck loading into a special arena and I don't want to force close so I cannot screenshot.

The actual weapons will save you time and effort, the rewards are guaranteed and they are kickass, and the arena (with another player because pre-scaled monster health) will make you a better player.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hunting Horn users, how are you keeping track of your buffs?

I was really hoping World would bring with it a better GUI for knowing when buffs are about to run out but as far as I can tell the only indication are the 5 pixel tall icons in the upper left. There's no better way of telling, is there? This has always been my biggest/only issue with the HH and it's such a drag when your self improvement runs out at a really bad time or you end up not really utilizing your attack/defence boosts due to low uptime.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've been playing gunlance a lot, am I correct in thinking Royal Burst (the pink rathian one) is the best one for shelling-oriented builds? It's level 4 shelling which I can't seem to find on any other gunlances, and I'm running with level 3 artillery and capacity boost.

Really fun weapon, I think it's pretty much my new main now since I haven't used a different weapon in well over 50 hours of played time now.

Your Computer posted:

I was really hoping World would bring with it a better GUI for knowing when buffs are about to run out but as far as I can tell the only indication are the 5 pixel tall icons in the upper left. There's no better way of telling, is there? This has always been my biggest/only issue with the HH and it's such a drag when your self improvement runs out at a really bad time or you end up not really utilizing your attack/defence boosts due to low uptime.

Isn't the melody listings on the upper right of your screen highlighted in green/purple to show when they are active?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Use your songs as attacks and cycle each of them during the course of the fight. If you rotate properly your songs will never run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't the melody listings on the upper right of your screen highlighted in green/purple to show when they are active?
If this is true then that's actually pretty huge :aaa: Still gotta look at the corners of the screen but that's gotta be way more readable than the icons.

Night Blade posted:

Use your songs as attacks and cycle each of them during the course of the fight. If you rotate properly your songs will never run out.
In a perfect situation that would obviously be the best, but that's a lot to keep track of while also trying to stay alive and actually hitting the monster :v: Might work better in multiplayer though.