Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I also got to check it out just a month or two before it closed. Didn't order any drinks, though. Might have if they had a Ferengi tending bar.

woah racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't do business with Tellarites and I'll take that conviction to the grave!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I went when I was a teenager, so unfortunately I couldn't drink. Somewhere in my mom's house there's a promotional picture from The Wrath of Khan where someone at The Experience added another dude in a maroon jacket and digitally inserted my gross awkward face in there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Epicurius posted:

Diane Duane's Star Trek novels are pretty good. I read Dark Mirror when I was in college. it was a lot better than what DS9 did with the Mirror Universe. You had mirror universe Troi as loyalty officer, who got a sadistic thrill out of reading minds. You had Picard picking up a mirror universe Shakespeare book, and reading the ending of Merchant of Venice, where Shylock cuts out Antonio's heart while Portia mocks a dying Antonio for agreeing to the deal, and then seeing the mirror universe bible and just deciding he's not even going to look. It was just a good book.

Diane Duane was one of the best Star Trek authors. Recently, I heard through my publisher that she'd hit a financial crunch and was having an ebook sale.

https://ebooksdirect.dianeduane.com/

I am only mildly embarrassed to admit that the cat wizards series is actually good, there's some really good characterization and worldbuilding in there. Stealing the Elf King's Roses is also good. It's a pity she exhausted the setting in one book instead of giving us a series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

That Vegas night I mentioned began with three Warp Core Breaches. :suicide:

Goddamn dude. I'm no lightweight and just one of those things got me pretty buzzed. It's basically a little bit of a full glass of rum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Goddamn dude. I'm no lightweight and just one of those things got me pretty buzzed. It's basically a little bit of a full glass of rum.

Night didn't stop there. We also stopped at Caesars and the Rio before I somehow got back to my room at the Sahara.

That was ... April 2006, I wasn't even 22 yet. I'm pretty sure I was still drunk for the next two days of the conference I was at.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lol if you can't stomach two full bottles of rum and still virusbomb a planet because some dork keeps referencing ancient literature.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i just rewatched Starship Mine

i completely forgot about this episode, it's literally die hard in space and i love it

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Ten minutes into The Way of the Warrior, and this is very nitpicky, but I hate what they've done to the theme song. The new visuals are great, but the bouncing synth bass line sounds like it was slapped over the original in ten minutes. It almost feels like it's off time.

Quark's new jacket is amazing, though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lester Shy posted:

Ten minutes into The Way of the Warrior, and this is very nitpicky, but I hate what they've done to the theme song. The new visuals are great, but the bouncing synth bass line sounds like it was slapped over the original in ten minutes. It almost feels like it's off time.

Nah, it's just not in the standard 4/4 time signature.

I like the adjustment at that point in the series. Reflects the station's transition from lonely outpost to bustling commerce/political center.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lester Shy posted:

It could be worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Ux34qQyn0

"You know what this theme really needs? Drum Loop Setting #4 and some Faith of The Heart soft-rock noodling!"

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
^^^^
This actually owns, but I love terrible music.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Nah, it's just not in the standard 4/4 time signature.

Ah that must be it. I've never tried to count it before because it was so "floaty" without a real rhythm section. Apparently it's 4/4 with one measure of 7/4 thrown in.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It could be worse:

"You know what this theme really needs? Drum Loop Setting #4 and some Faith of The Heart soft-rock noodling!"

That takes me back, I think I remember hearing that a long time ago when DS9 was on the air.

I don't care for it, but on the plus side it introduced me to this guy in the sidebar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L54GYRcxSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh2OzR56UqQ

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It could be worse:

Lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It could be worse:

lmfao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I went when I was a teenager, so unfortunately I couldn't drink. Somewhere in my mom's house there's a promotional picture from The Wrath of Khan where someone at The Experience added another dude in a maroon jacket and digitally inserted my gross awkward face in there.

Doxxed

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It could be worse:

lol indeed

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not only is that lol-worthy, that was literally on an official soundtrack release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Not only is that lol-worthy, that was literally on an official soundtrack release.

It popped up on a spotify playlist I use for Star Trek Online, and the first time I heard it I honestly thought someone had snuck in some lovely youtube cover.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

This is the same reaction I had on my recent rewatch. I remember liking it in the '90s, and I was able to get used to it again this time, but for the first half season I did feel like it was slightly off rhythm.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

"mr. moose: you may... indulge yourself."
"hell yeah, setting course for the fellatio planet"

(Seriously, thank you, I laughed out loud when I saw this.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Remember that goofy synth track at the end of the old ST3 soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLAIg18K2k

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I watched The Apple tonight. It was alright.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ran across this little tidbit while reading about TMP.

quote:

Gene Roddenberry had asked his wife Majel Barrett (Christine Chapel) if she would don fur and a tail to "reprise" the role of Lieutenant M'Ress from Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973). She refused.

Someone please confirm this because Gene Roddenberry with a catgirl fetish is hilarious and terrifying

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Found the TNG retrospective on Netflix and boy I haven't seen this since the 90's. And hoooooly poo poo it is aggressively a product of it's time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ran across this little tidbit while reading about TMP.

quote:

Gene Roddenberry had asked his wife Majel Barrett (Christine Chapel) if she would don fur and a tail to "reprise" the role of Lieutenant M'Ress from Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973). She refused.
Someone please confirm this because Gene Roddenberry with a catgirl fetish is hilarious and terrifying

NO

FURRY

I

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Remember that goofy synth track at the end of the old ST3 soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLAIg18K2k

Man, now i want an official 80s video game for search for Spock.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

"mr. moose: you may... indulge yourself."
"hell yeah, setting course for the fellatio planet"

(Seriously, thank you, I laughed out loud when I saw this.)

It has name and its called Risa.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Watching Search for Spock for the first time in ages

- Why does teenage Spock undergo Pon Farr when it’s obviously an emotional response brought on by years of repression? At that point he’s essentially an empty vessel with only base instincts and none of the Vulcan emotional hangups
- Kirk and co. just hang out on Vulcan for a few weeks despite being fugitives on a Federation member planet? Every single Vulcan went along with it and turned a blind eye?
- Apparently 5 people can run a starship with a couple computers and this is never brought up again
- I absolutely despise the cartoon engine sputter noises Excelsior makes when the transwarp fails

I honestly think I’d rank SFS lower than Final Frontier or TMP. Stealing the Enterprise and the novelty of Lloyd as a Klingon are the only worthwhile elements.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Timby posted:

That Vegas night I mentioned began with three Warp Core Breaches. :suicide:

drat I'm jealous of you guys

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Why does teenage Spock undergo Pon Farr when it’s obviously an emotional response brought on by years of repression? At that point he’s essentially an empty vessel with only base instincts and none of the Vulcan emotional hangups
- Kirk and co. just hang out on Vulcan for a few weeks despite being fugitives on a Federation member planet? Every single Vulcan went along with it and turned a blind eye?
- Apparently 5 people can run a starship with a couple computers and this is never brought up again
- I absolutely despise the cartoon engine sputter noises Excelsior makes when the transwarp fails

I honestly think I’d rank SFS lower than Final Frontier or TMP. Stealing the Enterprise and the novelty of Lloyd as a Klingon are the only worthwhile elements.
I sure hope someone was fired for THOSE goof-ups.

On #3, it was explicitly something that Scotty rigged up, and it broke when the Enterprise took a couple shots, so I'll give 'em that one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I find very little enjoyment in Search for Spock, and the real thrill of stealing the Enterprise comes from ILM's effects more than anything else. It's unspeakably ugly (it really is remarkable how Charles Correll took the sets from Khan and then made them look like a cheap TV show), Nimoy's direction is boring as hell, Horner's phoning in the score outside of the Klingon stuff, Robin Curtis is awful, David's heel turn is silly, the Genesis sets look terrible, and so on.

I wish Nimoy had gotten his way and been allowed to cast Edward James Olmos as Kruge.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Timby posted:

I wish Nimoy had gotten his way and been allowed to cast Edward James Olmos as Kruge.

Or at least gotten famed Edward James Olmos impersonator Edward James Almost.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's at least partially a biological heat cycle.

quote:

Why would every single Vulcan be in on it? They landed at a remote temple, interacted with the staff there, and that was that. It's like saying if a space alien landed at, say, Fort McMurdo, why aren't you letting the space UN know?

quote:

Well, a) it was explicitly mentioned that Scotty had rigged up a bunch of automation devices, b) it was held together with spit and bailing wire, and c) that as soon as anything untoward happened, it would all fall apart. Which it did. Besides, in the original TOS, Kirk explicitly mentions that he can run the ship himself, as long as nothing really weird happens, I think it was the episode on the super overcrowded planet.

quote:

Doesn't the Excelsior basically whimper like a puppy that doesn't want to climb the stairs?

quote:

Lloyd slew it as Kruuge, and is personally responsible for the 'feel' of post-TOS Klingons. He had so many great lines, which I quote often, to this day. My kids still don't know why, when I say something like "We're leaving!" and they say 'Give me a minute!' I invariably reply "I give TWO minutes for youuuu and your gallant crew." Or when they whine about why they can't do something, I say "Because you wish it!"
:goonsay:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How is Pon Farr "obviously" mental? Does every vulcan have a brain that holds on for exactly seven years?

Vulcan is basically acting like Switzerland. Additionally, they've already said they were going to go back, so the extra time let's the Federation Council get their legal ducks in a row.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Beachcomber posted:

How is Pon Farr "obviously" mental? Does every vulcan have a brain that holds on for exactly seven years?

Vulcan is basically acting like Switzerland. Additionally, they've already said they were going to go back, so the extra time let's the Federation Council get their legal ducks in a row.
The Romulans never bring up pon farr but I don't think that means they don't have it; I can completely buy that it is much less of a drama thing for them because they plot and scheme and develop new carpets to wear, so they have other libidinous outlets.

e: Like they might have whatever biological system is called pon farr by the Vulcans, but it gets expressed and constructed differently on Romulus.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 26, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheCenturion posted:

Why would every single Vulcan be in on it? They landed at a remote temple, interacted with the staff there, and that was that. It's like saying if a space alien landed at, say, Fort McMurdo, why aren't you letting the space UN know?

For some reason I thought the priestess who rejoins Spock's katra was T'Pau, so the head of the Vulcan government and the Vulcan Federation ambassador would have both been implicit in hiding fugitives. But as you said, if it's just a remote temple then really Sarek is the only prominent Vulcan on the planet who would have known.

quote:

Doesn't the Excelsior basically whimper like a puppy that doesn't want to climb the stairs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ3--2K7yo&t=325s
It's like something out of Speed Buggy

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly think I’d rank SFS lower than Final Frontier or TMP.

Unsurprising, since those are two of the three best films.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For some reason I thought the priestess who rejoins Spock's katra was T'Pau, so the head of the Vulcan government and the Vulcan Federation ambassador would have both been implicit in hiding fugitives. But as you said, if it's just a remote temple then really Sarek is the only prominent Vulcan on the planet who would have known.

I thought that was T'Pau too, along with the Vulcan lady at Spock's failed Kolinahr. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Beachcomber posted:

I thought that was T'Pau too, along with the Vulcan lady at Spock's failed Kolinahr. :shrug:

MA says it's someone named T'Lar.

It really drives me nuts how both III and IV have someone in the first few minutes literally watching clips from the previous movie. It's such lazy storytelling.