Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

du -hast posted:

I have a question about a thread that I'm posting in here on these fine forums:

I was, during a period of my life, in a rehab/cult type facility for a few years. Is it legal for me to call it by name? If I do not violate HIPAA laws can I tell stories about what happened there (removing names / dates / identifying information), but still use the name of the facility? I realize I posted mentioning it specifically by name and its now been quoted, so I am unsure if I open myself up to legal poo poo if I talk further about it even with everything masked.

I mean its hardly illegal, but there's nothing stopping them from using their money to harass and intimidate anyone with less money than them, assuming they give a poo poo to go to the effort of it. On the other hand, I've got a feeling that your real name isn't du hast, nor is it all that likely that they're gonna find the posts you make on SA even if you do use the name of the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Thanks Tuyop, ill give it a go..

I hope its not dead, its got everything on it while the other drive is all but empty

I’m sorry if you’ve lost your data, but you should take this opportunity to look at cloud storage solutions for really critical data in addition to external hdds. I get 1tb of OneDrive for being an alumni at my university and I use it to store heavily encrypted volumes of my private documents.

If you have several terabytes of stuff you need to save, you can set up Amazon glacier storage for pennies a month unless you do a huge restore. The most handsoff options are solutions like Backblaze that run in the background when your stuff is plugged in on a network or whatever. They’re like $6 a month, I think.

Another option is to keep like a synology NAS with a RAID array and some scripts or software to run periodic backups. There’s an NAS thread in SH/SC if you’re interested in that. It’s not a substitute for cloud backups, but if it’s less critical data or you’re very paranoid about it then it’s better than nothing. I think that runs around $400 for a 4tb setup.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone in the Shadenfroode thread mentioned you can prevent autoplay of embeded mp4s and those huge rear end video gif things and utterly dragging your entire browser to a standstill. How do I go about doing that? I'm using Firefox and can't find anything in particular in the Options page.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

du -hast posted:

I have a question about a thread that I'm posting in here on these fine forums:

I was, during a period of my life, in a rehab/cult type facility for a few years. Is it legal for me to call it by name? If I do not violate HIPAA laws can I tell stories about what happened there (removing names / dates / identifying information), but still use the name of the facility? I realize I posted mentioning it specifically by name and its now been quoted, so I am unsure if I open myself up to legal poo poo if I talk further about it even with everything masked.

Sorry to jump in with a pet peeve. HIPAA applies only to certain categories of people/companies: Health Care Providers, Health Plans, and Health Care Clearinghouses. In the last five or so years, I've seen this general notion creep into American public consciousness that HIPAA applies to all health information regardless of what/where/who.

If I know that Dave has an STI because he told me/his girlfriend told me/etc. I'm free to spread that information without violating HIPAA because I am not a Health Care Provider, a Health Plan, or a Health Care Clearinghouse. Dave may have some claim against me for slander/libel/defamation of character, but those each have their own standards and are unrelated to HIPAA. You will not be violating HIPAA if you talk about this rehab/cult facility because you aren't one of the covered entities, but as others have pointed out, you may open yourself to general legal harassment if you're specific enough for this organization to care and pursue you.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Are there people who are both Christian and Muslim, i.e. they believe Jesus was the messiah and that Muhammed was a true prophet of God?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

value-brand cereal posted:

Someone in the Shadenfroode thread mentioned you can prevent autoplay of embeded mp4s and those huge rear end video gif things and utterly dragging your entire browser to a standstill. How do I go about doing that? I'm using Firefox and can't find anything in particular in the Options page.

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about :config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste 'autoplay' and wait while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the media.autoplay.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

El Jeffe posted:

Are there people who are both Christian and Muslim, i.e. they believe Jesus was the messiah and that Muhammed was a true prophet of God?

iirc that’s the position of Islam as a whole

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

They accept Jesus as a prophet, not messiah.

e: vvv Thanks

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 25, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

El Jeffe posted:

dupersaurus posted:

Islam generally rejects the divinity of Christ, but consider him a precursor prophet of sorts to Muhammed. The Quran as far as I remember doesn't speak much of his significance as the Messiah, but as far as the beliefs of muslims goes I'm sure it's all over the board, just like any religion.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 25, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ChairMaster posted:

Islam generally rejects the divinity of Christ, but consider him a precursor prophet of sorts to Muhammed. The Quaran as far as I remember doesn't speak much of his significance as the Messiah, but as far as the beliefs of muslims goes I'm sure it's all over the board, just like any religion.

Quran 3:45 posted:

When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with a Word from Him (of one) whose name is the '. Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).

But yeah, the exclusively Christian part is the divinity of Christ, not the Messiah part.

Edit: reading more I didn’t realize just how much Jesus shows up in Islam

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's like the most mentioned guy in the whole Quran I think.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh the irony. Don't tell any red-blooded 'muricans.

ladron posted:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about :config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste 'autoplay' and wait while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the media.autoplay.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false

How do I do this in Chrome?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

El Jeffe posted:

I don't think you could be an observant Muslim and truly believe Jesus was the Messiah.

Of course, there are Jews for Jesus and Messianic Christians/Torah-Observant Christians, so it does seem like someone could come up with an Islam/Christianity combo platter of some kind, but the Messiah business is kind of a sticking point.

There's always Bahá'í, which holds that Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Báb (né Sayyed Ali Muhammad Shirazi, 1819-1850), and Bahá'u'lláh (né Mirza Husayn-Ali Nouri, 1817-1892) were all equal as Manifestations of the Divine, and that all the Abrahamic religions are mostly true, but that Bahá'í is the purest expression of those truths. As you might imagine, this hasn't gone over well, historically, with either Christianity or Islam, and the Bahá'í have faced a lot of persecution.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't think you could be an observant Muslim and truly believe Jesus was the Messiah.

Of course, there are Jews for Jesus and Messianic Christians/Torah-Observant Christians, so it does seem like someone could come up with an Islam/Christianity combo platter of some kind, but the Messiah business is kind of a sticking point.

That's ethnic Jews being religious Christians though. As you say, believing Jesus was(is) the Messiah is basically the definition of being religiously a Christian.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh the irony. Don't tell any red-blooded 'muricans.

How do I do this in Chrome?

(1) Go to mozilla.org.....

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's ethnic Jews being religious Christians though. As you say, believing Jesus was(is) the Messiah is basically the definition of being religiously a Christian.

Saying Jesus is the Messiah AND the Son of God is what makes your Christian. As quoted earlier the Quran calls Jesus the Messiah, but he is just another man. The Judean Messiah is also just a man, but unlike in Christianity and Islam, hasn’t happened yet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone have those screenshots of Frozen characters edited to make them less ugly?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ladron posted:

Thank you, I adore you so much! I promise to spare you when I murder god and take His place!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Does anyone have those screenshots of Frozen characters edited to make them less ugly?

Maybe ask this question in the COMPLETELY 100% OFFICIAL 'REQUEST IMAGES' THREAD, part two.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to search in archives?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

uwaeve posted:

Is there a way to search in archives?

:lmao:

E: nope

:rofl:

E2: nope

:roflmao:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:lmao:

E: nope

:rofl:

E2: nope

:roflmao:

E3: dammit; well you get the idea

E4:

:roflolmao:

Finally!

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 25, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

looking for a voice changer program to goof around with my friends. any suggestions? tried one called clownfish voice changer but it didn't work.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Q8ee posted:

looking for a voice changer program to goof around with my friends. any suggestions? tried one called clownfish voice changer but it didn't work.

smoking works but it takes a while

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone know anyone who works at USPS/ Canada Post?

I ordered a package from someone in the States (I live in Canada). The package almost made it to my house, but appears to have to have been lost somewhere between getting on the truck and getting to a Canada Post office, where it was not scanned when they sort the packages into trucks to be distributed among the drivers for the small communities in the area.

Just contact Canada Post, right? WELL, it turns out that Canada Post cannot just order an investigation, they have to be contacted by USPS and told that they need to investigate a missing package. The sender attempted to do that, but was told that:

quote:

they could not open a ticket due to International Trade laws for this particular type of package. I was also informed that they cannot legally ask the Canadian post to trace this type of package, nor is the Canadian post obligated to keep exact tracking in this situation.

I phoned Canada Post and told them this, they told me that they don't know what information the sender was given, however they absolutely cannot proceed without being requested to by USPS.

I contacted the sender and asked him to try again, and I plan to drive to the post office where I think the package may have been lost and beg them for help. So far they have refused to answer their phone, even when I asked another Canada Post office to phone them.

My question: How the hell do I resolve this? So far it's going nowhere and no one seems interested in helping.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know it hurts, but I'm not sure at this point there's any option left but to just accept that someone on the Canadian side stole it and that's that. :\

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think after going in tomorrow that I'll just accept that it's gone and hope that maybe it will show up.

It should have been here Feb 15th-16th, so if it got on the wrong truck it would have been by now, but yeah it's very aggravating to think it was stolen.

Edit: The final advice USPS gave the sender was to wait for a week or two and it might show up.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the deep state is a right wing conspiracy theory thing right?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Conspiracy theorists from all sides have been theorizing about what is essentially "the deep state" (who's REALLY running the show :tinfoil: ) for a long time, but lately it's been a distinctly right wing thing especially if they use the phrase deep state. So, yes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know it hurts, but I'm not sure at this point there's any option left but to just accept that someone on the Canadian side stole it and that's that. :\

Well it turns out the magic words to get Canada Post moving are "I'm beginning to think an employee stole it."

I just got off the phone with a rep, who I explained the situation to, but this time included my concerns that the package was taken by an employee. She "escalated" the call and put in a ticket, apparently someone will contact me tomorrow.

Hopefully this will have a happy ending.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If the deep state does exist, the assumption that it operates above the general inefficiency, infighting and bureaucracy of the government is sort of charming, I think.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jews for Jesus are ethnic Jews who are religiously Christian. Messianic Christians and Torah-Observing Christians are a subset of fundamentalist Christianity, not people with Jewish heritage. In fact, they often clash with actual Jews because, surprisingly enough, Jews don't like it when Christians appropriate their observances.

More here; the author is more kindly disposed toward these folks than I am.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I thought it was just a term for the people who make government run. The legions of bureaucrats in all the departments that execute the mandate of whatever portfolio based on the will of elected officials and don't lose their jobs when the government changes. In Canada we just call it "the bureaucracy" and they're supposed to be sworn to do their best regardless of their personal convictions and stuff. This is also why you don't need to be an expert to hold a portfolio. For example, I think most of the time the Minister of Education (which is a provincial ministry) is not, themselves, an educator, but the Deputy Minister (who's a bureaucrat) should be an expert. Our past three Ministers of National Defence before the current one had no military experience, and the incumbent minister is a reservist who lied about his service.

Though that's from a country where words still sort of matter. It wouldn't surprise me at all if "deep state" has become a ridiculous dog whistle term in the US.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I for one had never heard the term Deep State until this week and suddenly I’m seeing it everywhere. Then again I am in the UK where we probably don’t get phrases like this until they are becoming mainstream buzzwords.

I find it a sort of interesting concept, but as noted above the idea that this hidden state agenda somehow operates efficiently when the overt one is so shambolic is risible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The use of it in modern times originates from 80s/90s Turkey, because of the habit of the bureaucracy to use the military to depose leaders who started getting too authoritarian or to otherwise heavily intervene. It used to be it'd be just about Turkey in English use, with the occasional comparison to the Turkey aspect when talking about other countries.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That’s why I can never find it in my heart to be angry at conspiracy theorists. Don’t we all want to live in a world where people are competent and efficient and the world is an ordered place where one lone person can’t just gently caress things up on a whim?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I went True Detective/ crazy person today and went into the last place my package SHOULD have arrived. I say SHOULD because it appears that it got on a truck at the Distribution Center, but the Canada Post it would have arrived at does not scan their parcels before they go out of delivery. So it's possible that a) the package is still on the truck or b) the package got off the truck and piled with other mail going to my area.

They person I spoke to checked out back and could not find it. The paper I showed him listed the Escalations Ticket #, which he noted. I asked him if it were possible that the package went with the wrong driver, which he didn't seem to eager to agree with me on, but he did take 1) a copy of the pictures of the package/customs form/ sender receipt, the tracking info showing it stopped at the truck/ their office, and my number so that his supervisor could call me tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will stop at each of the post offices along the delivery route for the driver and show them a picture of the package.

The sender has asked me to hold off until March 5th, one month after sending the package, before we talk refunds/replacements. Is there any risk in this? Does Paypal have a deadline of some sort that I could miss by waiting?

Edit: I don't think I mentioned it, but this is a Signature Required delivery, if that makes any difference in how they are tracked.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 26, 2018

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I won a coupon for a free Hershey's Gold bar through the Olympic games promotion. Where the heck can I redeem it? I've been looking everywhere and keep getting denied. Walmart won't honor the coupons even though the coupon is through Hersheys. I tried to get the manager involved but he said it was a store policy. I did get the contact information for the regional manager, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Professor Shark posted:

Tomorrow I will stop at each of the post offices along the delivery route for the driver and show them a picture of the package.

nossir, I've never seen a box like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bioshuffle posted:

I did get the contact information for the regional manager, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything.

that's a lot of work for a free piece of candy. why don't you call hershey's?

from the website:

Call or Text*

1 (800) 468-1714

Twitter

@ASKHERSHEY