Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
FUUCCKKK my gym announced they are closing in June due to a rent increase on the building. This leaves me with a real Sophie's choice.

A: The local Y, which is always busy as gently caress at all times of the day.
B: The other local gym which has dumbbells going to 50lbs and a smith machine only.
C: Planet Fitness.

Guess I'm waiting around for poo poo at the Y. This makes me so sad because my current gym is a room with two cages, a couple benches, and good selection of bars and dumbbells. They have some machines, 1 treadmill, and no other cardio equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Offer to buy a cage and a barbell off them and make a home gym :-P

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
No space in my apartment unfortunately, but I definitely would if I could.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Apprentice Dick posted:

B: The other local gym which has dumbbells going to 50lbs and a smith machine only.
C: Planet Fitness.
Sounds like there are two Planet Fitness in your town.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Khorne posted:

Sounds like there are two Planet Fitness in your town.

I won't be that mean to the other local gym, it's heavily marketed to the middle aged women in the area.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Apprentice Dick posted:

I won't be that mean to the other local gym, it's heavily marketed to the middle aged women in the area.

so it's basically a planet fitness with no free pizza

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
you can buy membership to a crossfit gym that has open gym hours and just go there to use the equipment without having to touch the filthy wods

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

so it's basically a planet fitness with no free pizza

No free pizza, free yoga classes with the membership.

The nearest Crossfit gym is 30+ minutes away depending on traffic, the Y is only about 10. I was wanting to move this spring, maybe I use this as a push to go somewhere that isn't poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yoga pants

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm in the midst of dropping a ton of weight while picking up a ton of weights, really looking forward to vacation this summer so I can wear a set of knee-length tights and strut around the boardwalk

Is that normal? Or should I only wear them when working out?

This is assuming I have the goods to show off by August

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

baw posted:

you can buy membership to a crossfit gym that has open gym hours and just go there to use the equipment without having to touch the filthy wods

That's not how any of them work near me. You gotta drink the Kool aid or find a different type of gym.

Even the few lifting-focused gyms here are scheduled coaching only. It's community rec center, big box gyms, or start loving kipping with other folks.

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Yoga pants

Every day I thank 10 pound 2 ounce baby Jesus for yoga pants

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

naem posted:

Every day I thank 10 pound 2 ounce baby Jesus for yoga pants

TIL Jesus was a fat lil' baby

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

got a new job and I'm looking for a new gym and boy is it sad pickings. Actually, near my job there's a few places that might be decent but I commute partly by train so the timing sucks and once I'm done working I just want to get out of the city. Looked at an "anytime fitness" today that's along my commute and boy was it was pathetic. $46/month if you sign up for 12 months, 60 loving dollars if you do it monthly, for a sad set of weights and no locker rooms or showers,

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

got a new job and I'm looking for a new gym and boy is it sad pickings. Actually, near my job there's a few places that might be decent but I commute partly by train so the timing sucks and once I'm done working I just want to get out of the city. Looked at an "anytime fitness" today that's along my commute and boy was it was pathetic. $46/month if you sign up for 12 months, 60 loving dollars if you do it monthly, for a sad set of weights and no locker rooms or showers,
Show a student ID. $35/mo. Anytime fitness near me has 4 power racks and an SSB. The other ones don't even have power racks despite claiming they do. poo poo franchise with some decent locations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Khorne posted:

Show a student ID. $35/mo. Anytime fitness near me has 4 power racks and an SSB. The other ones don't even have power racks despite claiming they do. poo poo franchise with some decent locations.

I saw 1 squat rack and a smith machine. I signed up for the 7 day trial because gently caress it but I already told them I have a job so not sure they'll buy my student id as legit. :/

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Why wouldnt they? Having a job while going to school is probably a hundred times more common than not.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

Why wouldnt they? Having a job while going to school is probably a hundred times more common than not.

because my uni id is for the other side of the state lol

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Three simple words solve that:

"I'm a commuter"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
wtf, the tiny italian boobs av is one of the mass avs?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

Knees forward is good because you're sitting down not back.

Not necessarily.

I can drop straight down into a squat and my knees won’t move.

Conversely I can drop straight down, shoot my knees forward, and I won’t have cartilage below my waist in three years.

It’s person specific.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Omnikin posted:

I'm in the midst of dropping a ton of weight while picking up a ton of weights, really looking forward to vacation this summer so I can wear a set of knee-length tights and strut around the boardwalk

Is that normal? Or should I only wear them when working out?

This is assuming I have the goods to show off by August

this seems to be coming up a lot lately, I'm assuming you're a dude. IMO if your wiener isn't super obvious I don't see why it should matter

Also it's been hot as gently caress at work and I've been getting the crap beat out of me, especially my forearms. They've had doms the past 2 days because of some heavy rear end coils and I never get doms in my forearms. Also lost like 4 lbs as well even though I haven't changed my eating. Felt weak as crap in the gym tonight, but I'm doing the powerlifting to win 5/3/1 variant which cuts the amraps and heavy sets on the 5's week for recovery, so that should help.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

baw posted:

usually this is :10bux::10bux::10bux: though, if it's even possible

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ur ween should always b super obvious

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

Not necessarily.

I can drop straight down into a squat and my knees won’t move.

Conversely I can drop straight down, shoot my knees forward, and I won’t have cartilage below my waist in three years.

It’s person specific.

Post your front squat.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

KyloWinter posted:

What are good drills for getting a good rack position. I always just do the I Dream of Jeannie front squats

Only valid if you do the head wiggle as you do.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

this seems to be coming up a lot lately, I'm assuming you're a dude. IMO if your wiener isn't super obvious I don't see why it should matter

I've got a decent at best wang but my balls are fuckin' huge. I imagine tights would make it look like a three headed monster down there in the right poses

TMI probably

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

Post your front squat.

340x3 @ 190 (I was fat)

https://instagram.com/p/BWF6P5_DLNS/

I’ve hit 400 before but this was the quickest video I could find.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 23, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

340x3 @ 190 (I was fat)

https://instagram.com/p/BWF6P5_DLNS/

I’ve hit 400 before but this was the quickest video I could find.

If that's your idea of "knees won't move" I don't want to imagine what "shoot knees forward" looks like.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
loving hell guy at yuppie gym in very expensive gear loaded up a 180 kg deadlift bar and has spent more than 10 minutes glaring at it and posing.

He dropped a 170 from hip height and I am not comfortable lifting with that next shoe undropped.

Fuckin' hell you've chalked up twice already just lift the loving thing rear end in a top hat

E: it got one inch off the floor before he let it go, horrendous deadlift form

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 24, 2018

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wrist straps are amazing. I love them, they’re amazing for barbell shrugs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Omnikin posted:

I've got a decent at best wang but my balls are fuckin' huge. I imagine tights would make it look like a three headed monster down there in the right poses

TMI probably

my balls kind of stay between my legs out of the way. I wouldn't try wearing whatever 30 dollar pair of nike/under armour though because every one of those I see are thin as poo poo. I find thicker pairs of running tights or higher end compression pants sort of just smoosh it down to a small shapeless lump. Also you can just wear a shirt that's kind of long, or even shorts over if you want.

also gonna try high bar again tomorrow night and maybe front squats if I have the wherewithal

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

loving hell guy at yuppie gym in very expensive gear loaded up a 180 kg deadlift bar and has spent more than 10 minutes glaring at it and posing.

He dropped a 170 from hip height and I am not comfortable lifting with that next shoe undropped.

Fuckin' hell you've chalked up twice already just lift the loving thing rear end in a top hat

Sorry

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
180 was haevy ok

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Somfin posted:

What's it like lifting around Eric Trump?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

What's it like lifting around Eric Trump?

That was don jr.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Work gym got some new equipment, and could do some experiments on bench. It was the day after benching at home, on break, and didn't try very hard, meaning I stopped after, no failed reps. Can bench 176.37 lbs, gonna try for a real one rep max next week if possible, and I guess need to get someone to spot too.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 25, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did a few light rows on friday night.

Right around the 24-48 hour doms mark is where my right shoulder began hurting a lot again, as well as pins and needles and a burning feeling in my hand. Veins in my wrist are popping up like an old lady's varicose spiderweb.

This close to seeing a doctor about it.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I did sets of 1 plate ohp I am a god now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bakalakadaka posted:

I did sets of 1 plate ohp I am a god now

God ohps His bodyweight.