Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/EDKNTeI.mp4

ekuNNN posted:

Also, Dutch athletes celebrating their olympic wins threw a huge metal medal into a crowd and injured two people :v:
https://sportnieuws.nl/overig/olympische-spelen/hommeles-holland-heineken-house-schaatsers-smijten-plaat-zaal-2-gewonden/

This has to be an art installation or something.

In thumbnail it def looks likes a transformer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
isn't that from Man of Steel?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Don't gently caress with Ents.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Fortunately, its a movie set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEPwUKa4v0

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Isn't that from Man of Steel?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's no way he heated that on that fire.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

The Lone Badger posted:

Why not? It's charcoal with a blower.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FatCow posted:

Why not? It's charcoal with a blower.

which has heated an inch square steel railroad spike to malleable while leaving the thin sheet metal folding chair chair paint unscathed?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

shame on an IGA posted:

which has heated an inch square steel railroad spike to malleable while leaving the thin sheet metal folding chair chair paint unscathed?

Railroad spikes are poo poo metal that is easy to bend and work with. That is why they are used by hobbyist blacksmiths. Also I doubt the chair is unscathed but you can't actually see it since the fire is on top of it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Cold starting a KA 26 is certainly something

Something smoky

Something (potentially) choppy

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The whole thing is coals dripping through your unscathed chair

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

and finally age 18

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

Anvil seemingly of a pillar design made from wood topped with a railway base-plate... checks out.
---
Just getting back to choppers for a tic, ask an Australian what a Erickson S-64 Skycrane and most would have no idea. Ask them what Elvis is, and you'd get a good number saying helicopter.

quote:

On December 27, 2001 "Elvis", which had arrived in Melbourne, was immediately deployed to Bankstown, New South Wales to help with fire fighting efforts in the Sydney region and was lauded for its role in helping to save almost 300 homes. It was also credited with helping save the lives of 14 firemen in the Burragorang Valley in New South Wales.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XO1rE7v44g

its this thing.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Potential BFF posted:

Something smoky

That thing rules.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Something smoky

i'm the perfect smoke ring at 0:34

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Potential BFF posted:

Something smoky

I was expecting the sound of a turbine, not a rotary. neat.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Wall Balls posted:

and finally age 18

:golfclap:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Potential BFF posted:

Something smoky

1) How long was that thing parked there?

2) I had no idea one could Seafoam aircraft engines

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think it was parked there for the winter?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why is directly in front "caution"?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because it's a helicopter and helicopters want everyone around them including the pilots dead

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The blades are generally angled lower in the front a little to provide forward momentum along with lift.

That, and if the chopper suddenly starts moving, it's most likely going to start moving forward.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently that particular helicopter sat for a few months in early summer and they oiled up the engines prior to letting them sit, hence the smoke.

I looked it up and the KA 26 runs on two 9 cylinder radial gasoline engines and the compressed air tanks are part of the standard starting procedure.

I feel slightly more qualified to dust crops.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

FuturePastNow posted:

Because a lot of helicopters have what are called droop-stops to keep the very flexible blades in a plane at low startup speeds, but the stops are centrifugally deactivated at high speeds. If a droop stop fails at low speed, the stuff in the front is hosed. Most main rotors at center cyclic (basically the at-rest position of the stick) are canted forward, thus the lowest point of a main rotor blade's entire point of rotation (in relation to the ground) is the very nose of the aircraft. Thus when approaching a helo at speed get the operators attention, maintain the attention, and approach from the side.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't you run out of knives all the time?

Subscribe & Save.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

Anvil seemingly of a pillar design made from wood topped with a railway base-plate... checks out.
---
Just getting back to choppers for a tic, ask an Australian what a Erickson S-64 Skycrane and most would have no idea. Ask them what Elvis is, and you'd get a good number saying helicopter.

Those things are legit fuckoff huge even when hovering over an oval 300 mtrs from your house. I’ve seen chinooks and other military stuff fairly close but a couple of years ago they where putting a fire out nearby and refilling the skycrane at a local oval. All you could see from the street was the helicopter filing a gap in the trees as it hovered. They bring the plane sized airbombers out here these days as well cause they can cover the state within an hour and have a 3 hr turn around. They don’t bother refilling them on the fly cause most of the dams close to the city are in pretty tight valleys so they fly them to an air force base in western Sydney instead.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-sailor-killed-20180225-story.html

I couldn't find the beginning of helicopterchat. If this story is what sparked it, ignore me.

If not, I agree that helicopters lust for murder.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 26, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/uOww22f.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

It's staring into my soul.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Potential BFF posted:

Something smoky

How does a helicopter like this yaw?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Noted gun-idiot FPSRussia also managed the same thing a few times:
https://i.imgur.com/jSx1EB9.mp4

And one time he also managed to have a piece of shrapnel slam into his cameraman's leg (note its trail down the center of the screen):
https://i.imgur.com/8iQfUuq.mp4

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ah yes, the fake Russian dude from Georgia, USA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

-Zydeco- posted:

Dual rotors add mechanical complexity by adding a second rotor, but lose the tail rotor which also gets rid of some complexity. Having two rotors also allows for mo lifting force without have to add larger diameter or more rotor blades on each spindle which might be advantageous.

Tail rotors are also parasitic (NOTAR, too). It takes engine power to turn them, but they provide no lift, only countertorque. Dual rotor systems are using both rotors for lift.

You also get some aerodynamic advantages. With a helicopter in hover, the advancing blade and the retreating blade both have the same airspeed, and lift is symmetric across the rotor disc. In forward flight, the advancing blade has a higher airspeed and the retreating blade has a lower one, so if the blade was rigid you'd have a marked dissymetry of lift at any forward speed. Articulated rotors allow the blades to move, so the advancing blade can assume a lower angle of attack (producing less lift) and the retreating blade a higher AoA (producing more) so that this tendency is canceled out. But that only works up to a point, eventually the retreating blade hits its critical AoA and stalls, which is potentially dangerous and makes the helicopter want to pitch up and roll towards the side of the retreating blade.

Coaxial or intermeshing rotors have two rotor discs rotating in opposite directions, so an imbalance of lift is avoided; any loss/gain of lift from the advancing blade on one rotor is countered by the same thing from the advancing blade on the other rotor.

The downside with intermeshing ones is that the lift vector isn't vertical, so they're not as efficient as coaxials or tandems.

FuturePastNow posted:

Just geometry. As the blades slow down they droop, and on a number of helicopters the closest the blade tips get to the ground is in the front.

Here's a Chinook on the ground:

A 47's blades at full RPM aren't going to come low enough to hit you, but while they're spinning down or up that's a bad place to be.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 26, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

haveblue posted:

How does a helicopter like this yaw?

You increase the blade pitch/angle of attack on one of the rotors, dropping the rotational balance and causing the helicopter to rotate in the direction you want.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The only way to defeat Optimus Prime's vampire form
:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

C.M. Kruger posted:

You increase the blade pitch/angle of attack on one of the rotors, dropping the rotational balance and causing the helicopter to rotate in the direction you want.

This, but note rotational *speed* doesn't change. Rotor rpm is constant for both blades, it's torque that is no longer balanced between them because of the pitch change, so the aircraft yaws as the result of the torque differential.