Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a bunch of (relatively) recent F2P multiplayer tank games -- World of Tanks, Armoured Warfare, War Thunder, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. The two I've played (WoT and AW) fall into the sweet spot on the sim<->arcade axis for me: the simulation is fairly detailed, taking into account shot travel time, armour slope and thickness, positional damage, crewmember injury, field repairs, ammo loading/changing time, and so forth, but the controls are pretty simplified and abstract, basically boiling down to FPS controls to move the tank and aim the gun and a few hotkeys for switching ammo types or scope magnification. And the fact that you steadily unlock new tanks (and tank-destroyers and artillery) and new variants of or equipment for existing tanks means you never get bored of any one vehicle.

So my question is: are there any singleplayer games like that? There's lots of multiplayer games featuring tanks in various roles, there's stuff like Battlezone 1&2, there's FPSes that have one-off tank levels, but are there any games that are basically WoT/AW except it's a singleplayer campaign?

The game you want is Brigador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Trick Question posted:

The game you want is Brigador.

Brigador is plenty fun but is also an isometric shooter and not in any way similar to what I asked for. :confused:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ToxicFrog posted:

Brigador is plenty fun but is also an isometric shooter and not in any way similar to what I asked for. :confused:

Sorry, obviously they meant Dark Souls.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Panzerwehr: 1949?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Sorry, I'd just noticed the bit about a large variety of tanks with a good balance of arcade & sim and completely overlooked the first-person part. My mistake!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ToxicFrog posted:

Probably the best I can think of is heavier on the sim side, Steel Armour Blaze of War.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Brainamp posted:

While it's not a huge amount, Bayonetta has a bunch of weapon types that you can either fit into hands or feet slots to get different attack patterns out of.

This is kinda true for most action games like that. Such as Ninja Gaiden, DMC. All 3 are pretty comparable and worth playing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love XCOM and XCOM-likes. What am I missing from this list?

(also yes I know some of those XCOMs aren't XCOMlikes, but I want them organized)

Chroma Squad kinda fits.
It's also on sale right now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Probably the best I can think of is heavier on the sim side, Steel Armour Blaze of War.

Yeah, that looks way more simmy than I'm interested in. :(

Trick Question posted:

Sorry, I'd just noticed the bit about a large variety of tanks with a good balance of arcade & sim and completely overlooked the first-person part. My mistake!

I'd say that Brigador is really heavy towards the "arcade" side in both controls and mechanics; like, if I'm looking for the Wing Commander of tank sims, Steel Armour is the Falcon 4.0 of tank sims and Brigador is the Escape Velocity: Nova.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I've played MW4 (although I should get around to playing Mercenaries one of these days) and Battlezone 1 & 2. Should have mentioned that.

If you have access to consoles, the armored cores are similar, though they veer more to the sim side of things (as sim as you can get with giant stompbots, anyway.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you want to drive a tank around with simplified controls but interesting and somewhat realistic shootery, Arma III would be my choice.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Stupid Question:

What's the best Lunar Lander game out there? iOS, Android, PC, Console .... whatever.

And yes, I know about the Kerbal Space Program.

I'm thinking of just a simple lunar lander game.

(I'm not trying to build one, just doing a survey).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

If you want to drive a tank around with simplified controls but interesting and somewhat realistic shootery, Arma III would be my choice.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I always thought that ArmA was (a) mostly multiplayer, (b) extremely hardcore and (c) in singleplayer, mostly focused on infantry.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
You can't drive a tank by yourself in Arma the way you can in something like WoT, unless you want the AI to drive you off a cliff or something. Maybe there's a mod to change that?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I always thought that ArmA was (a) mostly multiplayer, (b) extremely hardcore and (c) in singleplayer, mostly focused on infantry.

No, no and no. Arma is not complicated at all and has a plethora of singleplayer missions/custom missions with all sorts of focuses. Unfortunately, the tank stuff is not great.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Stupid Question:

What's the best Lunar Lander game out there? iOS, Android, PC, Console .... whatever.

And yes, I know about the Kerbal Space Program.

I'm thinking of just a simple lunar lander game.

(I'm not trying to build one, just doing a survey).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/Lunar_Flight/

Good luck.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm kinda stuck with Arma b/c it's what my games night crew can all agree on. It's a solid C minus game, believe it, but it's very versatile.

a) It can be, but there are missions that populate entire areas for you to mess around in, or you can custom-make missions yourself.
b) The players are hardcore and make hardcore things for the thing, so hardcore that there are no functional female body models in the game at all, because that would detract from the hardcore. But you can easily make and find and adjust difficulty to be fairly basic and easy. Unfortunately, nothing fixes the overall clunkiness of the game.
c) The singleplayer campaign is, but the stock campaign is the least of this game's abilities.

It's an expensive game to just jump in and play tanks with, but you can get a tank with a crew and tell them where to drive and point the big gun and shoot at things with elevation and drop modeled accurately. You can leap from position to position like an agent in the matrix, driving one moment and gunning the next. You can fill an area with smart or dumb enemies and kill 'em. There are randomized missions available that will populate the area for you.

There may or may not be a way to literally drive the tank around with WASD while doing this. I don't like vehicles in the game and don't play them at all, I just summon a vehicle with a driver and have him Uber me wherever I want to be when I'm doing the singleplayer sandbox thing. You can ask the Arma thread for more clarification.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 27, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

You can't drive a tank by yourself in Arma the way you can in something like WoT, unless you want the AI to drive you off a cliff or something. Maybe there's a mod to change that?

I'm absolutely sure that the AI is that stupid if you tell it to go forward forever when you're the squad leader, but--and this is a bit of dopey workaround, but such is Arma--you can arrange it so that you're just the gunner of the tank, and the AI is the tank commander, and his overall mission is to Seek and Destroy, and he'll probably be smarter about it and just drive everywhere for you. If you are in a Zeus mission, you can zip into Zeus mode (which is like a 3D RTS view) and order him to move to a given area with a certain stance, like cautious or stealthy or combat, and he'll act accordingly. The whole time, though, he'll probably be pointing out targets for you to shoot at. So I guess you can go into his inventory and delete his radio so he'll shut up, but I'm not sure if he can give movement orders after that.

It's a way to have fun with a tank, at least, if you're on your own. Like anything else Arma, it is almost, but not quite, a fun video game.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 27, 2018

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ulio posted:

This is kinda true for most action games like that. Such as Ninja Gaiden, DMC. All 3 are pretty comparable and worth playing.

DMC3 has an electric guitar that shoots lightning bats. Now that's interesting weapon variety.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nice. Thanks.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok.
I miss Might and Magic VI - VIII.
What can salve this wound?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok.

If you find an answer be sure to share with the class. I loved those games but there's no way I could stand to deal with their UI issues now, and while The Elder Scrolls games are sort of structurally similar they basically put zero effort into making interesting dungeons whereas in those games the insanely ambitious but low-tech dungeons are, like, the whole point of the game.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

pun pundit posted:

DMC3 has an electric guitar that shoots lightning bats. Now that's interesting weapon variety.

That is probably one my favorite weapons even though I didn't use it that much. You always have an incentive to do longer combos so you can hear yourself playing some badass riffs and shoot electric bats at people.

The boss fight with the vampire/bat lady is also really fun for that weapon. Man can't wait for DMC collection on pc this month so there is finally a playable version of 3 on pc.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

This might sound a bit sadistic.. but I'm looking for a game that lets me kind of systematically target/disable PARTS of the enemy, which causes consequences for them.

RTS games - are all about that. Taking out high-value buildings, which leads to a crippled economy etc. I think they're generally too fast overall to enjoy it, and rarely are the effects enjoyable.
FTL - I loved being able to take out sub systems.. FTL does this sort of thing the best because subsystems are so meaningful. I'd like more of this.

and going way back ... Soldier of Fortune. It was awesome to be able to shoot the enemies arms, legs, or gun to disable them.

What else does this well? I suppose some kind of giant mech game would naturally have it. Ideally it would be something like FTL. It's great to get good value out of disabling systems and especially being able to see the consequences. That's a bit sadistic I suppose.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenacious J posted:

This might sound a bit sadistic.. but I'm looking for a game that lets me kind of systematically target/disable PARTS of the enemy, which causes consequences for them.

RTS games - are all about that. Taking out high-value buildings, which leads to a crippled economy etc. I think they're generally too fast overall to enjoy it, and rarely are the effects enjoyable.
FTL - I loved being able to take out sub systems.. FTL does this sort of thing the best because subsystems are so meaningful. I'd like more of this.

and going way back ... Soldier of Fortune. It was awesome to be able to shoot the enemies arms, legs, or gun to disable them.

What else does this well? I suppose some kind of giant mech game would naturally have it. Ideally it would be something like FTL. It's great to get good value out of disabling systems and especially being able to see the consequences. That's a bit sadistic I suppose.
Binary Domain.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

In the old Star Wars RTS Empire at War, nearly every unit in the space battles is composed of the sum of their parts - you can focus fire on the Star Destroyer's shield generator, or the front left turbolaser bank, or what have you.

War Thunder (and maybe World of Tanks?) let you cripple enemies by hitting specific parts or crew members.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Mechwarrior, especially 4 Mercenaries and 2 Mercenaries. Also Mechcommander. But nothing has better systematic destruction than flight sims, like IL-2. War Thunder is a good entry level.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok.

Wizardry 8 has a similar feel in some ways but it doesn't have the crucial real-time and Flight Simulator aspects.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tenacious J posted:

This is probably a stretch but X-Morph Defense lets you topple tall buildings to block enemy routes, and has big boss enemies with lots of turrets and parts to blow up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

a medical mystery posted:

Wizardry 8 has a similar feel in some ways but it doesn't have the crucial real-time and Flight Simulator aspects.

Yeah, I played through Wizardry 8. It being the closest thing to those Might and Magic games.
Wizardry is everything I hate disguised as everything I love.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

Freespace , Phoenixpoint when it comes out

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok.

If you want adventuring through dungeons as a 4-man team with first person view there's Legend of Grimrock 1&2, though it's significantly more puzzle-heavy than M&M games.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Trying to choose a game to scratch the space 4X itch. between GalCiv 3, Endless Space 2 and Stellaris is there much consensus about which one is the best or at least what the strengths and weakness of each are?

Wildcard: Sword of the Stars (NOT the second game).

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Tenacious J posted:

What else does this well?

Dead Space?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tenacious J posted:

Hybrid Heaven

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most of the Monster Hunter-likes are all about weakening giant enemies by damaging/destroying their body parts, too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

All of the Front Mission games have mechs composed of torso, arms, shoulders and legs and destroying any of those has specific effects.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pyromancer posted:

If you want adventuring through dungeons as a 4-man team with first person view there's Legend of Grimrock 1&2, though it's significantly more puzzle-heavy than M&M games.

Thank you for the suggestion but that is exactly what I don't want.
I want exploration through a world, not cramped dungeons.
I am endlessly galled that modern designers seem to always take their inspiration from M&M 1/Wizardry games and leave VI-VIII to rot on the vine.

Wizardry 7&8 got the idea right, but flubbed the execution.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 28, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can emulate Warriors of the Eternal Sun, it's worth it for that final boss encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are there any good recent games that combine the "charge" skill from mass effect 2 with the "death from above" skill from saints row 4?