Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Microcline posted:

I'd put MGS2, FFTA, and Xenogears into the category of "games that are great despite their flaws".

I'd group Chrono Cross with Xenosaga and FFVIII in the category of "games that have good ideas despite being trainwrecks". They're begging for a re-imagining, like how FFV was a realization of FFIII's job system.

i think FFTA is harmed by FFTA2 just being such a marked improvement on it in almost every way. I struggle to think of a specific thing that FFTA did better than A2 (maybe the Steal/Loot system stuff?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The intro whole loving soundtrack was definitely the best thing about CC

anyone that disagrees with this is objectively wrong and a bad person

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dukerson posted:

i think FFTA is harmed by FFTA2 just being such a marked improvement on it in almost every way. I struggle to think of a specific thing that FFTA did better than A2 (maybe the Steal/Loot system stuff?)

<looks both ways to make sure its safe to say this in a quiet whisper> playing as the villain in FFTA was awesome.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I bounced off CC because the story was really plodding and downer-ish after the adventurous and upbeat tone of CT. There's no real variety of settings across space and time, just this dinky archipelago, and then you've got these dwarves going around genociding a bunch of fairies or something like that. This on top of the fact that apparently the main characters from CT were murdered.

That probably isn't a fair characterization of the plot because I didn't play it for very long but that's how I remember things.

Soundtrack was phenomenal though, I don't think anybody is going to argue that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

<looks both ways to make sure its safe to say this in a quiet whisper> playing as the villain in FFTA was awesome.

I mean everyone rips on Marche for destroying the dream but I sorta hated those other kids after awhile, so gently caress them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I still never got why they went with a half-assed enviormental/anti-humanity message in places. I know it had something to do with the dragons, but it was really dumb.

I love Cross(Just not as much as Trigger), but it has so many questionable decisions.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DeadButDelicious posted:

FF3 DS gets shat on a lot for having less of a difficulty curve and more of just a pendulum that swings between "Look at us four badasses" and "Get curbstomped and go grind until the difficulty goes back to the first statement" but how is FF4 DS? I loved the SNES version and have the DS version kicking around... Somewhere... But haven't really put the hours into it.

FF4 is one of my favorite FFs, and I love the DS version, but it absolutely is something more specific so you have to go in knowing what it is. It's harder, and augments, while being good in their own right, need some research to make sure you don't miss out on one of the best missables in the game. For difficulty curves, personally I felt like it was modest increases in difficulty all along the way, though Tower of Zot was kind of a big spike so watch out for that one.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
When i played FF4 DS i completely ignored the augment system because i didn't like the idea.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Marche Was Right.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lobster22221 posted:

I still never got why they went with a half-assed enviormental/anti-humanity message in places. I know it had something to do with the dragons, but it was really dumb.

It's cause the idea of Human/Demi-human technological advancement vs harmony with nature is kind of a narrative theme in CC. Hell it's a thing in CT with the Reptiles. and the Mammon Machine/taping into Lavos for power causing the destruction of the magic kingdom and a few endings.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 26, 2018

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

I enjoyed this too (even if the word 'villain' is a little bit of a stretch), but Ludo's "I'm a goober who just wants to hang out in this awesome world" disposition was extremely good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Frionnel posted:

When i played FF4 DS i completely ignored the augment system because i didn't like the idea.

I did too, then it got pretty difficult in endgame. Then I started using augments and it wasn't as bad. That's my story

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

I also think mgs 2 is the best in the series and ffta is one of my fav gba games, Marche was right, come at me

raiden is a way way more interesting character than the guy who just repeats what other people just said, and then goes "hm..."

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Got it, thanks.

Any other big changes I should be aware of? I’m playing through NG+ and just got to the Chocobo farm. Biggest things I’ve noticed so far is the new car obviously and also the ability to have more than one hunt going on at a time.

I don't know when it became a thing, but you can control any of the guys during combat by unlocking the ability in the Ascension grid. So that might be a big change for ya.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mr. Locke posted:

The SoM remake just has the misfortune of being a straight mechanical port of a game that kinda desperately needed a genuine remake. It needed some stuff fleshed out or added like the Lunar Palace. It needed combat tweaked a bit a lot. It needed animations to match up with hitboxes going both for the party and for enemies. It needed EXP numbers for weapons and especially spells adjusted. It got none of that and it just kinda comes of as really goddamn janky as a result.

It's a good game for people who want to play a port of Secret of Mana, but it's a bit of a failure as a $40 remake of Secret of Mana

You're right, Secret of Mana isn't a great game to begin with, and I think people coming back to it after such a long time are beginning to realize this instead of living in their nostalgia bubbles. But like I said, the remake is faithful to the original, so if you still enjoy the original, you'll enjoy the remake.

Now when/if they do the SD3 remake... hoo boy, people are going to realize what a good Mana game actually is.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mandatory lesbian posted:

I also think mgs 2 is the best in the series

That’s just a fact tho :confused:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MGS2 has always been my favorite Metal Gear game but I would say Metal Gear Solid 1 is the technically better game. It's interesting, emotional, has great music and FOXHOUND are the best villain team I've ever seen in an MGS game. I feel MGS2 and MGS3both represent "half" of what MGS1 was insofar as MGS2 focuses so heavily on being smart and MGS3 focuses so heavily on being emotional. MGS1 blends the two elements together into a perfect narrative.

Of coure, some of it is nostalgia. Words cannot express how the Codec blew my loving mind back in the day. I would call up Campbell, Nastasha, "Miller" and anyone else I could at any time so I could liten to them talk about the plight of nuclear proliferation, the backstory of the bosses, and so-on.

But, that all being said, I'm glad people now are recognizing how GW basically foretold the future and MGS2 as a whole had a lot of relevant ideas.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 26, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I hated FF4DS's augment system too, and didn't realize that using it more gave you more augments.

My ranking on new endgame content from remasters:

1. FF4 GBA: allowing you to play as Yang, Cid, Edward, Palom and Porom in endgame wad cool, as was giving them a dungeon to gear up for it. The extra 100 level dungeon was cool, too. Except for the ninja part.
2. 6: Dragon's den, basically, hard Phoenix Cave. It actually matters what your party builds are, and if you power leveled without any Espers equipped you were hosed.
3. Soul of Rebirth: although the beginning of the area is a lovely RNG fest of "you're hosed if you run into the wrong enemy" playing as the characters who were in your party that died to beat the light half of the emperor is really cool and it's actually a pretty well developed area once you get past the initial hurdle.
4. 5's sealed cave: admittedly I've not played this one. But based on what I read it's cool since it gives you jobs with unique attributes.
5. 1's soul of chaos. Basically the game banks on nostalgia with really weird, uneven dungeons, enemies are super easy and give little experience, but the bosses are super hard.
6. 4DS: for whatever reason, the 3D remake didn't allow you to remake your party at the end like the GBA version, which is total bullshit.
7. 3DS: they add a small cave with a small walkway that had dragons that drop onion gear and a super boss :effort:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

4. 5's sealed cave: admittedly I've not played this one. But based on what I read it's cool since it gives you jobs with unique attributes.

Sealed cave is essentially built on the premise that you have mastered all the important jobs, if not every job. The two super bosses are regular enemies there, you have to beat a kai-version of each, and the final boss makes all of that look easy. So imho, it's a neat concept since 5 is so broken that you need these almost impossible bosses to challenge the player. But that's the most tedious and boring way to play 5. It also does that cardinal sin of challenge dungeons. You unlock the last class after beating the final boss. So at this point you have nothing challenging to try it out on because you've already beaten everything in the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

7. 3DS: they add a small cave with a small walkway that had dragons that drop onion gear and a super boss :effort:

As the representative for the FF3D fanclub, I tried my best to beat the Iron Giant but I just couldn't do it. He destroyed me in seconds.

I grinded to master my main Jobs but grinding to beat that superboss would have taken far too long. Plus I had already beaten teh game so I was like...what's the point.

With a very tenous segue about new versions and optional content, I'm going through FFVII New Threat and there is so much more to do in this game than when I beat it 4 years ago. Tons of new sidequests, items, materia, bosses.... I'm only at leaving Midgar right now but looking at the thread on Qhimm, Sega Chief truly did create possibly the greatest FF mod of all time.

(Although I do love FFVI Return of the Dark Sorcerer.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

As the representative for the FF3D fanclub, I tried my best to beat the Iron Giant but I just couldn't do it. He destroyed me in seconds.

i hated ff3-ds and i beat iron giant

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

As the representative for the FF3Ds fan club ...what's the point

I know, right?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Alxprit posted:

You're right, Secret of Mana isn't a great game to begin with, and I think people coming back to it after such a long time are beginning to realize this instead of living in their nostalgia bubbles. But like I said, the remake is faithful to the original, so if you still enjoy the original, you'll enjoy the remake.

Now when/if they do the SD3 remake... hoo boy, people are going to realize what a good Mana game actually is.

If the zones in Legend of Mana had maps letting you see how stuff was connected in addition to a dot letting you know where you should go it'd be hands down the best Mana game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ohtsam posted:

If the zones in Legend of Mana had maps letting you see how stuff was connected in addition to a dot letting you know where you should go it'd be hands down the best Mana game.

As a general fan of Legend of Mana, this... is a stretch. There was a lot that needed to be done to make that a fantastic game, and that's not even on the top 10 list of things needed to be done.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

seiferguy posted:

As a general fan of Legend of Mana, this... is a stretch. There was a lot that needed to be done to make that a fantastic game, and that's not even on the top 10 list of things needed to be done.

I just remember my biggest problem with the game being the difficulty in figuring out where to go at any given point of a quest. The game had a helluva lot of systems I just plain ignored but I still finished like 3 playthroughs and the difficulty of figuring out how zones were fit together from screens that often looked identical or trying to find what magic screen a quest wanted me to go to was by far the worst part to me personally. Making quests a bit more discoverable too would be nice as well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You're gonna have to explain to my peon brain how a fictional AI in a video game designed by a conservative culture male predicted anything of the modern world back in 2001, especially since the game was in production from 1999-2000, which is 19 years too early to predict the rise of social media and the prevalent nature of the Internet, as the boom hadn't happened until about the mid to late 2000's. MGS is just a science fiction story with magical elements included because cultural memes are different in the East vs the West.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ohtsam posted:

I just remember my biggest problem with the game being the difficulty in figuring out where to go at any given point of a quest. The game had a helluva lot of systems I just plain ignored but I still finished like 3 playthroughs and the difficulty of figuring out how zones were fit together from screens that often looked identical or trying to find what magic screen a quest wanted me to go to was by far the worst part to me personally. Making quests a bit more discoverable too would be nice as well.

I remember there was a crafting component, as well as a pet component. Neither of which felt accessible, except after one quest you got really good material to build whatever you wanted. The game was basically a series of sidequests and not a huge overarching plot. Your character was a voiceless character that was just there for the ride with all the other characters. I get the idea was to build your world. But the world felt hollow.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Just finished playing about an hour of FFXV on PC. I'm using a 980ti (6GB VRAM), 16GB RAM, 6700k, and a 2560x1440 display for comparison's sake. Changing the resolution in the settings doesn't actually change the resolution unless you restart the demo. It is set to 1080 at default, so if you're using a 1440 or higher display, be sure to actually restart the game after changing the res. Download size is 18.7 GB because it includes 4k textures. The 4k textures will only be loaded if you're using a 4k display. The final game apparently includes a toggle to use 4k textures at lower resolutions. After the first couple of cutscenes, VRAM usage stayed right around 95% used. FYI, there's a frame rate display toggle in the display settings that shows frame rate, VRAM usage, RAM usage, and disk speed.

First thing I noticed is that the game has a frame rate cap of 120 FPS instead of the 60 I was expecting. Here are my settings:

Neither TAA or FXAA seem to be very taxing (I ran quite a few tests and never saw the frame rate drop more than 2 FPS, regardless of AA setting) and I highly recommend turning AA on if the other nvidia gameworks features are enabled. Can't comment too much on the floral effects other than the vegetation definitely seems to be much more lush, even in the desert. The shrubs and grass clusters just kinda bounce when you walk into them. Creatures with fur look totally badass, though, so unless it just leads to a ton of crashing a la Far Cry 4, there's no way I'm disabling hairworks. The lowest frame rate I saw was ~57 FPS fighting the first hunt, almost undoubtedly due to hairworks. I think the frame rate will likely drop to 40-45 FPS if I can find a group of enemies with fur. Average frame rate just running around different outposts or out in the wild seems to settle at around 70-72 FPS.

Loading times are much improved over orig PS4 times. It takes about 8 seconds to load a save file and be running around, which means I can actually launch XV and load a save in a smaller amount of time than XII even takes to get to the title screen (thanks, Denuvo). That's on a 7.2k RPM HDD, too, so if you have a big SSD and are planning on installing it there, it's likely to load even faster.

Environmental shadows look great, but shadows on characters themselves look very odd. They have this weird red hue to their edges, which reminds me of trying to look at pictures that require red/blue 3D glasses. Even with rendering set to 100%, some environmental textures are quite blurry from a distance--mainly cliffs and other large rocks. Those are the only two things I can nitpick. Looks like a totally solid PC port so far. Very excited for it to come out next week.

The cliff in the back is an example of the environmental blurriness. Even if you get out of the car and don't move at all, it's quite blurry. I thought it was AA at first, but disabling it doesn't do anything other than make the party's hairstyles look like garbage. Maybe it's DoF that cannot be disabled?

Cannot recommend the PC port if you have 8GB or less of RAM. It averaged 8-9GB used.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

You're gonna have to explain to my peon brain how a fictional AI in a video game designed by a conservative culture male predicted anything of the modern world back in 2001, especially since the game was in production from 1999-2000, which is 19 years too early to predict the rise of social media and the prevalent nature of the Internet, as the boom hadn't happened until about the mid to late 2000's. MGS is just a science fiction story with magical elements included because cultural memes are different in the East vs the West.

The future of the internet is people isolating themselves in like minded communitie that can be easily manipulated because the abundance of fake and doctored information outpaces their ability to keep up or conforms to their narrative.

Aka the literal present.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Barudak posted:

The future of the internet is people isolating themselves in like minded communitie that can be easily manipulated because the abundance of fake and doctored information outpaces their ability to keep up or conforms to their narrative.

Aka the literal present.

This bit specifically

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's ridiculous how prophetic MGS2 has become. Back in its day it was just derided as an insane, fever dream of a game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's cause the idea of Human/Demi-human technological advancement vs harmony with nature is kind of a narrative theme in CC. Hell it's a thing in CT with the Reptiles. and the Mammon Machine/taping into Lavos for power causing the destruction of the magic kingdom and a few endings.

In Chrono Trigger the Reptiles are cartoonish villains who start a forest fire to wipe out a village of pacifists and imprison people in a volcano doom fortress made out of skulls. "Humans are the real monsters" can be done well (see: The Witcher), but shouting "both sides" is not a shortcut to nuanced writing. Chrono Cross' "big theme" plotlines that range from dull (Marbule) to aggressively antagonistic to the very concept of storytelling (the dwarves and their smoke-belching Genocider 9000).

An example of a non-half-assed environmental theme is FFVII. A theme can't be shoehorned in via an endgame text dump.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wonder how the remake will handle that. You're literally a terrorist at the start of the game, comitting atrocities that has undoubtedly killed innocents. Sure the government itself turns out to be much worse, destroying a section of the city just to try and get one small group, but the first match is struck by Barrett and his cohorts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder how the remake will handle that. You're literally a terrorist at the start of the game, comitting atrocities that has undoubtedly killed innocents. Sure the government itself turns out to be much worse, destroying a section of the city just to try and get one small group, but the first match is struck by Barrett and his cohorts.

Zed, Square is Japanese. They don't give a gently caress.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

Zed, Square is Japanese. They don't give a gently caress.

They are also a large company launching an expensive remake of what could be considered a flagship product(in terms of recognition) of a flagship series to an international audience.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Instead of an explosion a big flag sticks out of the mako chimney that says BANG

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

Nice casual racism there. ‘No, see, the oriental brain is too constrained by their hive-mind to envision the future’.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7 already has slightly more nuance than most other things that have the heroes as 'freedom fighters' since they usually just ignore it and paint the good guys as good and everyone else as evil, whereas Barret acknowledges that his actions have killed innocent people but that the only way to atone for it is to make sure something good comes of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Instead of an explosion a big flag sticks out of the honeybee inn that says BANG

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chrono Cross had a good ethical dilemma of saving Kid meant killing the last living hydra if you went that route (I never did, I always left her to die).