Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

For all the poo poo people talk about Democrats, when they have supermajorities they tend to pass some pretty good legislation.

FDR with supermajority: New Deal, Social Security, ended Prohibition, Glass-Steagal, FDIC, SEC, FCC, National Labor Relations Act, & 8 Supreme Court Justices

LBJ with supermajority: Medicare, Medicaid, Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Foods Stamps, work study, Pell Grants, Section 8 housing, 2 Supreme Court Justices

Jimmy Carter with supermajority: consumer bankruptcy protection, Department of Energy, Clean Air Act,

Obama with supremajority: CFPB, Dodd-Frank, ACA, bank bailout (gov't actually made a profit), auto industry bailout (gov't actually made a profit), ended torture, DACA, gay marriage legalized, 2 Supreme Court Justices (should have been 3), consistent reduction of the deficit from the shitshow he inherited until his last year in office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

To be frank, I’d probably drop my weapon and flee if I saw the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man wearing the bleached fur of a dead possum for hair waddling straight for me.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If I was carrying and heard shooting going on in a school I don't think I'd go inside because thats pretty much a deathwish due to cops. If you run into the shooter you have like a 50% chance, and if you run into the cops you just get wasted.

The solution is everyone that concealed carries should carry a glow belt, in case of active shooter everyone puts it on.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

If I was carrying and heard shooting going on in a school I don't think I'd go inside because thats pretty much a deathwish due to cops. If you run into the shooter you have like a 50% chance, and if you run into the cops you just get wasted.

The solution is everyone that concealed carries should carry a glow belt, in case of active shooter everyone puts it on.

But wut if the shooter also wears a safety belt???

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You jest but some people are way ahead of you with a very dumb idea!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There are even CCW badges that you can buy

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's just setting himself up to get ripped to shreds by those kids.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

Erdogan Tells a Weeping Girl, 6, She’d Receive Honors if Martyred

ISTANBUL — Turkey’s president has exhorted Turks to support their soldiers in Syria. But the scene showing a traumatized 6-year-old cadet girl, who wept as he kissed her and proclaimed she would be honored if killed in combat, is not coming off well.

Television clips of the encounter between the president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and the first-grader, Amine Tiras, was drawing a stiff backlash online Monday, with some critics calling his treatment of such a young child inappropriate.

The girl, according to Turkish news agency reports, had been attending the provincial congress of Mr. Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party in the Anatolian province of Kahramanmaras in a military-style uniform on Saturday.

She wore a maroon beret and a Turkish flag in her pocket, and had made a soldier’s salute during Mr. Erdogan’s televised speech, when he spotted her in the audience.

Mr. Erdogan recently dispatched military police special forces, known by their maroon berets, to bolster the army operation against militias in Afrin, the Syrian enclave predominantly run by Kurds, and the president called the girl to the stage.

“Look, look, look, what is there? Girl, what are you doing there?” he called out. She held her salute, but her face began to crumple in anxiety as she was lifted out of the crowd to meet the president. “Here are our maroon berets. Look, we have our own maroon berets,” Mr. Erdogan said as she crossed the stage.

Mr. Erdogan kissed her on both cheeks but by then she was in tears.

“But maroon berets don’t cry,” the president said as he checked the rank of her uniform. “Yes, lieutenant colonel, military police special forces. Maroon beret. God willed it.”

“Her Turkish flag is in her pocket. If she becomes a martyr, God willing, she will be wrapped with it. She is ready for everything, aren’t you?” he said, sending her back to the crowd.

:dogbutton:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Public Sector Unions are likely dead, Kennedy is basically a Fox News hosts in the arguments.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/968158522373558272

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Stupid appears to be accelerating in all sectors.

https://twitter.com/intelligencer/status/967903294625492992

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhahahahahahahaah, holy fuckin' poo poo.

Someone's been watching too much star trek or some poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

loving amazing.

Until someone throws flash bang into classroom full of students

Mwop,

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
"Come on teacher, it's the last day, just set it off. Its not a real grenade, it can't hurt you"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump just spoke in favor of re-funding mental institutions that some nebulous, totally unknown and unknowable 'government' defunded 'back in the old days'. Since there were so many red flags on the 'sicko' that the corrupt and incompetent FBI missed and ignored, but I guess we can't just put him in jail cause he didn't do anything wrong I guess, but we need to have mental institutions to put people like him away so it's not gonna happen again and it's so heart wrenching so we need to be able to take their guns away when it's necessary also historic low black unemployment.

gently caress it hurts my brain trying to follow the word salad this dude vomits on to the world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It would be pretty hilarious if they go and paint themselves into a corner and have to repair the mental health system just to avoid regulating guns in any way.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck fifth period homeroom teacher mrs Abernathy going 360 no scope FLASHBANG on a school shooter what the hell man

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

It would be pretty hilarious if they go and paint themselves into a corner and have to repair the mental health system just to avoid regulating guns in any way.

I think that ship set sail at least after Sandy Hook if not before.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Judging by his statement, it's less "fix mental health system" and more "circumvent law by bringing back privately owned asylums to toss the 'mentally ill' in without due process and throw away the key".

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

MA-Horus posted:

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck fifth period homeroom teacher mrs Abernathy going 360 no scope FLASHBANG on a school shooter what the hell man

Finally a good use for the Twitch IRL channel.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

I want Trump to be put through a stress shoot so we can watch his flabby rear end stroke out after running 15 feet. Plus I figure there's a 75% chance that if you gave him a gun he would loving ND into his own leg.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jokers Gamble posted:

I want Trump to be put through a stress shoot so we can watch his flabby rear end stroke out after running 15 feet. Plus I figure there's a 75% chance that if you gave him a gun he would loving ND into his own leg.

If he ever touches a firearm, the well of homicidal rage in the back of his head will explode, causing him to shoot everyone around him.

Somebody in the Republican leadership said the quiet part loud at CPAC, said they only hired Michael Steele in 2009 because he was black.

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/967206692504113153

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

Dang, one of my former co-workers and good friend is from GA and he and his husband both adopted a kid this past year. They live in IN right now but were talking about moving back to GA next year. Wonder what they are gonna do now or if this would only apply going forward.
Your friend won't be affected. Unequivocally not affected. Like CommieGIR said, the law doesn't forbid or nullify adoptions, it 'just' allows child placing agencies (which appears to be privatized in GA) to refuse service to (LGBT) people wanting to adopt or be foster parents.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Ex post facto laws haven't ever been a valid thing, it's only been that way for hundreds of years.
For (2) hundreds of years the ex post facto clause you have in mind has only applied to criminal matters.

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump just spoke in favor of re-funding mental institutions that some nebulous, totally unknown and unknowable 'government' defunded 'back in the old days'.
But-but-but Saint Reagan! We can't undo His Holy Work!

Floodkiller posted:

Judging by his statement, it's less "fix mental health system" and more "circumvent law by bringing back privately owned asylums to toss the 'mentally ill' in without due process and throw away the key".
The requirement for due process and humane treatment was the other reason why mental health institutions were defunded and dismantled.
But yes, the 'solution' will be to privatize them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Jokers Gamble posted:

You know how he mocked that disabled reporter? It would be like that except in real time.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Jokers Gamble posted:

https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan/status/968167956759719936

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommieGIR posted:

Public Sector Unions are likely dead, Kennedy is basically a Fox News hosts in the arguments.

What is this bullshit

Dead public sector unions? Son of a bitch.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's probably bullshit, but Andy McNab had a good story about how the SAS was doing a training exercise with the royal family and they used a flashbang in a room they were in to demonstrate what would happen if they had to rescue them.

Apparently, a piece caught a part of Diana's hair on fire and she had to get a haircut as a result. McNab joked that the SAS helped bring on a new hairstyle trend as a result.

Also :lol: that people think flashbangs can't actually hurt anyone.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not optimistic, but I will say that Kennedy (and Roberts) have asked really pointed questions before in which people read as "oh they are totally going to bring this down" when they've done the opposite. Going off just oral arguments alone isn't really a foolproof way of seeing how it all plays out.

Oral arguments are weird and you basically get justices like Kennedy ripping into each side regardless of their political stance, and Kennedy could very well go in the opposite direction, so don't be surprised if he does. Though don't be surprised if he doesn't either.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 26, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Professor Bling posted:

What is this bullshit

Public sector workers vote for their union reps every two years, and they know what’s best for their constituents. :votegop:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you just keep them stun locked until they ragequit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

you just keep them stun locked until they ragequit

God drat spawn campers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Professor Bling posted:

What is this bullshit

aren't police unions public sector?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I too thought of this very instance.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

What is this bullshit

My understanding:

1) Federal law requires unions to negotiate for everyone at the workplace, not just union members.
2) Current situation means that unions can collect SOME fees for negotiations with the workplace from non-members, but they have to track what they spend on negotiations vs what they spend on political advocacy, and can only charge non-members for the negotiation stuff.
3) Current suit is basically saying "I shouldn't have to pay any money to an organization that advocates for stuff I disagree with."
4) Last time this came up, the court split 4-4 (Scalia dead) but with Gorsuch in there he's unlikely to rule differently than Scalia would have.
5) If the court rules that unions negotiating is political speech and you can't force people to give money (also speech) to support speech they disagree with, unions will likely lose a major source of funding.
6) However, if the court rules that way then they have just explicitly said that union negotiating is political speech, which puts a MUCH higher bar on how it can be regulated (currently there are a whole bunch of state and federal rules about what you can and can't negotiate about).

Theoretically anyway. Nationwide courts have generally found ways to loosen restrictions on corporate and government influence while tightening restrictions on union influence, so it's entirely possible the courts just continue to apply a double standard.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mostly I thought about how much better the world would be if he'd been forced to go to Vietnam. Guy would managed to get himself fragged running the snack bar.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

MA-Horus posted:

I dunno, fifth period is pretty brutal. Mrs. Abernathy may have to toss one just to get those little bastards to sit down and shut up.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for giving me flashbacks to TFR idiots arguing that SEALs could've flashbanged OBL and captured him easily

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soulex posted:

I too thought of this very instance.

I thought of this:

https://youtu.be/zErgz09dESs

Can’t copy at the relevant time since I’m phone posting but watch Trump freak out and clutch his Secret Service agents starting at 1:06. If this guy ever faced a real threat he would legit poo poo his pants.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

Mostly I thought about how much better the world would be if he'd been forced to go to Vietnam. Guy would managed to get himself fragged running the snack bar.

"How did the Vietcong manage to kill this new lieutenant? He was inside the American embassy!"

*Lance corporal and sergeant glance at each other*

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I thought of this:

https://youtu.be/zErgz09dESs

Can’t copy at the relevant time since I’m phone posting but watch Trump freak out and clutch his Secret Service agents starting at 1:06. If this guy ever faced a real threat he would legit poo poo his pants.

Gif'd for your viewing pleasure:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BigDave posted:

Gif'd for your viewing pleasure:

Trump the cowardly lion

He needs more than a heart tho

• Locked thread