Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
They have spray-on products that you can try that will add hydrophobic properties to the top. Chemical Guys and 303 are a couple good brands. Be sure to choose the right product for either fabric or vinyl, whichever you have. I've found that there's a point where the top will get saturated anyway though so the best thing is to just park it in a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hikaki posted:

I've found that there's a point where the top will get saturated anyway though so the best thing is to just park it in a garage. buy a PRHT

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hikaki posted:

I've found that there's a point where the top will get saturated anyway though so the best thing is to just park it in a garage.drive so spiritedly the rain can't hit you

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I think 20 years is exempt in PA as far as titling goes, but safety inspection stations write the mileage on the sticker and in their logbook.

Lotta misinformation here.

10 years is Federally odometer exempt. PA, VA, etc... all.

quote:

The Federal odometer law, 49 U.S.C. Chapter 327 (Public Law 103-272), prohibits the disconnection, resetting, or alteration of a motor vehicle's odometer with intent to change the number of miles indicated thereon. The law requires that a written disclosure of the mileage registered on an odometer be provided by the seller to the purchaser on the title to the vehicle when the ownership of a vehicle is transferred. If the odometer mileage is incorrect, the law requires a statement to that effect to be furnished on the title to the buyer. However, vehicles ten years old and older are exempt from the written disclosure requirements.

That being said, I don't know whether other states give you hell for stating EXEMPT. I always do, too many times I've had fat fingered folks input the wrong mileage. I had a DRZ400 with 221k instead of 2100 miles and a Mazda6 with 881k instead of 81... :rolleyes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Steve Lehto just did a podcast on this. Strictly speaking, the law allows the vehicle to be exempt from reporting, but the entire first part about it being illegal to alter the odometer is still in effect.

With that said, if you went up instead of down, and by a relatively small amount, I wouldn't expect anyone to make a case for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blaise posted:

That being said, I don't know whether other states give you hell for stating EXEMPT. I always do, too many times I've had fat fingered folks input the wrong mileage. I had a DRZ400 with 221k instead of 2100 miles and a Mazda6 with 881k instead of 81... :rolleyes:

I’m the CarFax odometer warning when some oil change place keys in the mileage wrong.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Blaise posted:

So one piece of misinformation? Inspection stations still write the mileage on the sticker every year and I’m sure if I went in this year with 162k and next year with 154k they could potentially know something is fucky.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 19, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Out with the old, in with the old LOL. I was getting a bad tps signal and new throttle bodies are $400 from the dealer.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
On my supercharged 2000 I had to thoroughly clean my throttle body on the regular. In hindsight I should have installed a drat PCV oil separator setup.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah ok, i guess it is kinda cold.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
While my MX-5 will stay in its barn for another month or two, I went to a tire shop today to have new tires mounted on the wheels I got for it. The guy at the shop was for some reason surprised to have someone bring summer tires there when it's February and snowing heavily.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ionn posted:

While my MX-5 will stay in its barn for another month or two, I went to a tire shop today to have new tires mounted on the wheels I got for it. The guy at the shop was for some reason surprised to have someone bring summer tires there when it's February and snowing heavily.

I did this for my Forester XT. Took in WRX wheels and Dunlop Sport Maxx tires in early January during a winter storm. Lots of funny looks.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Couple weeks ago I started getting white smoke on startup, but otherwise car ran fine, no issues, no overheating. Went on vacation for 2 weeks, came back, car won't start today. It cranks but won't start. Battery seems fine. Head gasket? There weren't any acute issues with it before that would have caused a failure, I had noticed some occasional sputtering in the 2-3k rev range in 1st or 2nd gear.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 27, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can you hear the fuel pump click on?

What year?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elysium posted:

Couple weeks ago I started getting white smoke on startup, but otherwise car ran fine, no issues, no overheating. Went on vacation for 2 weeks, came back, car won't start today. It cranks but won't start. Battery seems fine. Head gasket? There weren't any acute issues with it before that would have caused a failure, I had noticed some occasional sputtering in the 2-3k rev range in 1st or 2nd gear.

How is your CAS wiring looking? Is the connector plugged in anymore? The sputtering is it's way of telling you to replace the ignition wires. Mine did that same poo poo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so false alarm, apparently there was something wrong with my Jump this morning, because I tried again and got it to start with a jump after work.

It was, however, still smoking white from the exhaust after startup (running clear after it warmed up). I'll try to check out the CAS wiring, it's possible hot oil was dripping on them (I had to replace the CAS o-ring a while back because it dripped oil).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm getting plates for the Miata. I'm heavily leaning towards custom plates that say THEANSR. Miata Is Always The Answer.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My buddy had business cards that said “Nice Miata!” and listed the years/specs of his. He’d leave them on the windshields of other Miatas and certain Porsche models. Truly Miata owners are the worst.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

My buddy had business cards that said “Nice Miata!” and listed the years/specs of his. He’d leave them on the windshields of other Miatas and certain Porsche models. Truly Miata owners are the worst.

Sounds like somebody I'd never want to have any interaction with.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Warbird posted:

He puts them on Boxsters and 914s, doesn't he?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I believe so, yes. He doubled down on the culture so hard one of his roommates blurted our “Nice Miata” to a Porsche driver. Said driver was a senior VP at our workplace so it didn’t go over well.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Question is, is there a Porsche somewhere with plates spelling out some variant of "Nice Miata"?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That feels like when I had my Mk3 Supra (think popup headlights) and people would occasionally ask about or compliment me on my Ford Probe :argh:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
My GF calls S2000s "the Honda Miata."

It's cute, but I don't let her say it with others around. I can't imagine knowing a person like that.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Someone in the local miata club left a card on my car and then it loving rained and that poo poo was like plaster goddamn

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Blaise posted:

My GF calls S2000s "the Honda Miata."

It's cute, but I don't let her say it with others around. I can't imagine knowing a person like that.

Mine calls them "the other Miata". When I told her I was going to go ahead with getting a Miata, she asked me if it was a Miata or an other Miata.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife took thw cats out and put them in the car and now she calls it the Meeowta.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

My wife took thw cats out and put them in the car and now she calls it the Meeowta.

No joke, my buddies wife actually did this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They're forecasting a record cold March here :saddowns:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Drove my NA for the first time in a while and ho boy does it make a lot of new noises. Luckily most are rattles...I hope :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blaise posted:

No joke, my buddies wife actually did this.

Haaaaaaaa.

Now i want this plate.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

If I knew it only had 5 nuts I would have changed it sooner.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You missed the one behind the wheel

And the two in the seat below

:haw:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So you'll start to see me post in here more often because I've finally gotten around to working on my project car, a 1996 1.8L 5 Speed Mazda Miata.

The car has 129,000mi on it with 4 previous owners and one front end collision. It's lived most of its life in Florida so it has no rust. I am going to try and restore this car to it's stock form as best as I can, then I'll see where I want to go from there.

Today I got rid of all the previous owner crap:

However I don't think I'll be going back to stock on the radio:

And I tore out the old carpet as I am doing an interior swap from black to tan:

Some of you may know how hard doing it without removing the dash may be.

Next up on the list:

Clean out floor plan, look for damage, rust, weird wiring, etc, R&R as needed.
Put down sound deadening and sound insulation
Put down vapor barriers to protect the floor pan
Install new carpeting.

If any of you think of something I should be doing while the carpet is out, let me know!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don’t forget to mod the flip lights so you can make it wink.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

um excuse me posted:

Put down vapor barriers to trap moisture against metal with minimal rust proofing.

That's how I read that.

Why not pull the dash? It's not much work from where you're at now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The vapor barrier is there from the factory in the footwell. I'd only be replacing what I took out. Makes sense in leu of all weather mats.

I watched a video on how to remove the dash, and it looked pretty involved when applied to my car. The wiring harness has been hacked to pieces from must have been 2 or 3 stereo installs. I thought I might give it a try and when trying to disconnect the HVAC the shroud shattered and I said that was probably pushing my luck enough :v:

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 5, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

um excuse me posted:

And I tore out the old carpet as I am doing an interior swap from black to tan:

Hey, so how was it taking the carpet out with the dash in place?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was extremely fortunate to have the front push clip already missing from the carpet when I pulled it out.

But I basically pulled until the old carpet tore and surgically removed the rest.

I think I'll modify the one going in to make it easier to pull in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am now the proud owner of a 2001 base. It came with a Bethania Garage Deuce (which I am removing), FM swaybars and endlinks, and 7 (that's right, SEVEN) paint colors. I will be completely removing all carpeting and sound deadening, removing the audio system the PO stuck in, and eventually replacing the stock seats with some nice race seats.