Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just beat a giant loving skeleton and it feels like I'm getting close to the end but holy frijoles this game just goes on forever if you do all the optional content

The thing I was worried about happening is now happening where my Iga stuff is starting to show its age right as I pop into what I imagine is the last act of the game, I guess maybe also 50 is enough Dexterity and I can dump a few points in Body or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can pc players coop with ps4 ones?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can pc players coop with ps4 ones?

Unfortunately not.

So I beat the main story (and the epilogue mission) last night. I have a LOT of thoughts about this game and I'm eager to dive into the postgame/DLC.

1. It rules that the final final boss was straight out of Bloodborne. No particular thing there, I just think it's funny and cool. Also funny how it felt like they were setting up a sequel in the most cliche way possible and then immediately were like "naw, go gently caress that guy up".

2. As someone who isn't like, an expert on Japanese/Sengoku history or anything, it felt like the game had a comparatively nuanced and thoughtful depiction of the people involved in it compared with most videogames. Like by the end I felt like Tokugawa and Nobunaga were three-dimensional characters, composites of the disparate narratives about who they were, and I appreciate that. It was also pretty cool to see Yasuke turn up at the end. Obviously demons had less of an impact on the actual battles in question, but I thought it was cool that they acknowledged that these were real people from real history and they should all be treated with a little bit of dignity while remaining open to critique.

3. On the whole the gameplay is great, and I think it compares quite favorably with the actual overall game mechanics of any Souls game. It feels like it outdid Bloodborne at what Bloodborne was trying to do, mechanically. I know I'm more eager to start a new build in it; I did a katana/kusi ninja for my first playthrough, and I think I wanna do an odachi onmyo swordmage guy for my second one. It's a bummer they didn't let you play as a lady version of the character, or at least customize William's appearance more (hair dye and poo poo), but at least there's a huge selection of cool and wacky helmets and masks.

4. They really need to do something about this gear system in Nioh 2. It has the exact opposite problem of Bloodborne, where instead of no interesting loot at all the game just floods you with a million weapons and armor sets and stuff with dozens of mods and there's a learning curve to figuring out how they work even if you use the ingame descriptions, what stacks and what doesn't, putting together gear you like and keeping it up to date through the main story (which is a bitch because soulforging is too overpriced), and so on. It's a great start, but it needs to be built on a little. And as others have pointed out, I'm a little worried about a dearth of interesting drops for an odachi build as opposed to one that uses katanas in 1/2 slots, a thing that would be alleviated if it were easier and less expensive to craft something cool of your own.

Overall, I think the game rules, and it's incredible to me that this, Persona 5, and Nier: Automata all came out in 2017. What a year for PS4 RPGs.

Final thing: does uh, anyone with an inheritable CTA: Dex passive on a weapon (PS4) wanna leave a revenant on the bridge for me in NG+, or something?

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 26, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

wizard on a water slide posted:

3. On the whole the gameplay is great, and I think it compares quite favorably with the actual overall game mechanics of any Souls game. It feels like it outdid Bloodborne at what Bloodborne was trying to do, mechanically. I know I'm more eager to start a new build in it; I did a katana/kusi ninja for my first playthrough, and I think I wanna do an odachi onmyo swordmage guy for my second one. It's a bummer they didn't let you play as a lady version of the character, or at least customize William's appearance more (hair dye and poo poo), but at least there's a huge selection of cool and wacky helmets and masks.

You can change appearances in the Tea House. Female characters are hilariously overpriced but they are there, at least.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just got to Dazaifu Tenmangu which is a temple I visit at least once a year irl. The game's rendition is actually really similar to the real thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Azran posted:

You can change appearances in the Tea House. Female characters are hilariously overpriced but they are there, at least.

Basically just always donate some trash to the weekly war and you'll get enough glory for everything after enough time. Being on the winning side basically means you get enough for one of the ladies. The real shame is you don't get other outfits so I, to my knowledge, can't run with Tome's white outfit that I like more than the other one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Shima Honnou posted:

Basically just always donate some trash to the weekly war and you'll get enough glory for everything after enough time. Being on the winning side basically means you get enough for one of the ladies. The real shame is you don't get other outfits so I, to my knowledge, can't run with Tome's white outfit that I like more than the other one.

Does Tome get different outfits? :confused:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Does Tome get different outfits? :confused:

After a certain point she starts swapping between a white outfit and an orange one. The orange one is the outfit you get when you transform to her.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Same with her grandpa!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've been playing as Tome for a good while now. Seeing a little 5 foot tall teenager swinging around an odachi bigger than she is never gets old, its pretty much maximum videogames and it rules.

except I can't play at all right now because the charging ports in both my controllers have broken within the past two weeks. MicroUSB is kind of garbage

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So the digital Complete Edition is on sale for $30 on PSN, if I get that I can transfer my save from the disk version right? It seems like the season pass by itself never gets discounted.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There's nothing to transfer, it'll just work.

The only annoyance is you can't turn your installed disc copy into the digital one, so you do have to delete/download the game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
What should I do with trash loot? I can sell it, disassemble it, or donate it - oh wait, or use it for crafting. Not sure what'll actually be useful, long term.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Starman posted:

What should I do with trash loot? I can sell it, disassemble it, or donate it - oh wait, or use it for crafting. Not sure what'll actually be useful, long term.

Disassembling everything and upgrading all the materials you get to purple-tier is the best thing to do early on, because you can sell those for more than the items themselves anyway. Donating trash items gives you a pittance of amrita, and crafting is pretty pointless until much later because you'll be blowing through levels and replacing your gear quickly between random drops and revenant gear.

EDIT: one thing donating is good for is getting random consumables, so it might help if you wind up in a bind where you're totally out of elixir other than the default shrine refill and have no consumables for a boss or something, but doing it for the amrita is pretty pointless

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 1, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don't bother donating to shrines unless you're REALLY desperate for elixirs. Or for the titles I guess but don't worry about those early on.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

The real shame is you don't get other outfits so I, to my knowledge, can't run with Tome's white outfit that I like more than the other one.

Have you tried messing with the helm and bandolier display settings in the menu? Turning helms off actually works for some of the samurai dudes, maybe flipping one of them changes Tome's outfit

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can Jin Hayabusa drop a divine dragon sword on way of the Samuari?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Divines can drop anywhere after you unlock Way of the Strong, so probably yeah.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yea you can actually get like, level 30 divines and poo poo if you go back and do low level content

I wish more people used the DLC sets in way of the strong; I wanna do some yasakini tomfoolery with light armor but farming sasuke for divines and/or his smithing text is a bitch (he's not hard in samurai, but winter siege is a very irritating stage to run)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I have no idea how to do some of these fights with multiple bosses at once.

Return of the Gourd, i'm looking at you.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Unlocked all of Way of the Demon recently and it looks like nobody is doing the amrita exploit there.

Sucks because at WoTD i feel like such a drat weanie

At this point it looks like the best way to get gear is to play the "Warrior of Keen Judgment" mission and let Tachibana take care of all the enemies so i can get some lvl 200 +17 gear

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 7, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Unlocked all of Way of the Demon recently and it looks like nobody is doing the amrita exploit there.

You mean at Maria? Try Way of the Strong instead.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I have no idea how to do some of these fights with multiple bosses at once.

Return of the Gourd, i'm looking at you.

Walking backwards and parrying a lot worked for me

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RatHat posted:

You mean at Maria? Try Way of the Strong instead.

Yeah, Spirit stone huntress is Maria.

Like i said, Teaming up with Tachibana in the "Warrior of Keen Judgement" seems to be best, considering Any good drop in Way of the demon is a lvl 200 item with +17-19.

I'm going to make sure all my gear is that just before i kill hundred eyes again to unlock WotW

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just rented this last night for ps4, it feels a bit off coming from souls game with a million more fiddly bits. Gonna just smash enemies with axe and katana per my friend's recommendation. Good stuff so far although I'm completely incapable of doing a grapple attack and trying it usually just does nothing then I get hit when the enemy stands up :iiam:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

mastershakeman posted:

Just rented this last night for ps4, it feels a bit off coming from souls game with a million more fiddly bits. Gonna just smash enemies with axe and katana per my friend's recommendation. Good stuff so far although I'm completely incapable of doing a grapple attack and trying it usually just does nothing then I get hit when the enemy stands up :iiam:

You can only grapple enemies that are down to 0 Ki (they are visibly exhausted) and press triangle (you need to buy the skill)

Grapple works only with humans but you can also perform a lethal blow on enemies that can be knocked down (does not require a skill)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

odachis loving rule

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fargin Icehole posted:

I had no idea wtf you were talking about so I went to check this out and, uh, what?

Why does that happen, anyway? Is it just people dying with titanic amounts of amrita from WOTN or something?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've seen the graveyard in the Huntress mission before but I couldn't figure out what the deal with that was or why all those revenants were wearing nothing when they died.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
they usually have a weapon with a desirable inheritable trait, even if naked. most commonly close combat damage + 15% - 20% (depending on familiarity). sadly the selection is a bit limited aside from that.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Shima Honnou posted:

I've seen the graveyard in the Huntress mission before but I couldn't figure out what the deal with that was or why all those revenants were wearing nothing when they died.

people being charitable and making their revenants easy to kill so you can get their weapon. also making it so the weapon drops 100%

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought it was to make them really easy to kill also considering some of them drop like 20 million amrita when they die.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Way of the Nioh is kicking my rear end. Anyone have any tips? I’m in full Hayabusa and level 436.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Way of the Nioh is kicking my rear end. Anyone have any tips? I’m in full Hayabusa and level 436.

i couldn't take way of the nioh. there's not really anything new compared to way of the wise, just everything kills you by glancing at you. w hich also makes grinding for the appropriate gear really hard! way too tedious. gave up about halfway through.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Don’t get hit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RatHat posted:

Don’t get hit.

Crap, that's what I've been doing wrong. :doh:

Neurosis posted:

i couldn't take way of the nioh. there's not really anything new compared to way of the wise, just everything kills you by glancing at you. w hich also makes grinding for the appropriate gear really hard! way too tedious. gave up about halfway through.

I need to get back to Nioh, because I haven't even finished Way of the Strong or finished any of the DLC missions yet. I want to at least get to the point where Ethereal weapons start dropping, or at least to a point where I can get all the trophies (which I think is Way of the Demon difficulty). Past that, it doesn't sound like the higher difficulties are worth the effort outside of bragging rights.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I was actually impressed that they added a few new things to the higher difficulties. Eventually you start fighting basically elite enchanted enemies and bosses, they start mixing up enemy placement and composition on some maps, and they add new moves to some of them to try to trip you up. That said I don't recall if WotNioh specifically did anything else above Wise or whatever the second-hardest difficult was.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
How can I paralyze enemies faster? I'm on WOTN, and my paralyze traps and medusa dust fade out before the debuff fills on mobs.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive played Nioh several hundred hours with my buddy but this time we decided to do a themed run with a fresh save.

Lvl 1 run, buddy will be playing as William while I'm cosplaying as Hanzo. Probably going to level Ninjutsu just for fun

We might take some casual gameplay videos if there are some cool fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Sounds very cool. So you can play together from level 1? I just picked this up but may try to convince a friend if coop is quick and easy. Souls was super fussy until the later entries.