Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
That's a good point, but is this place also snowy?

Because this is like, 100% the sort of game that forces you to drive at half-speed in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So when do we unlock a jetpack for the monster truck car? So many airships in the sky and not one to call our own. Load of crap if you ask me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

Once the time stop thing happens, Ardyn and Prompto are swapped. That was Ardyn pretending to be Prompto for his dumb trick. When Noct runs to the roof and sees Ardyn pointing a gun at a defenseless Prompto, it's actually Prompto pointing his gun (his weapon of choice in battle) at a pretending to be defenseless Ardyn, up until the shoving happens and Ardyn can drop the ruse. It is badly edited and silly, certainly, but that's FF15 in a nutshell.

That doesn't make much sense either. From Prompto's perspective Noctis just went berserk all of a sudden and tried to attack him only to pratfall and get knocked out, so are we supposed to believe that he just ran off after something like that? The guy's an idiot, yes, but you'd think he'd not just abandon the guy he's supposedly sworn to protect.

Or for that matter, are we supposed to believe that Chancellor Hobo was fighting his own dudes at your side? It's not like this stuff could be actual shapeshifting since you'd think Prompto would have noticed if he just got polymorphed, so that sort of thing would likely raise a few eyebrows among any non-hypnotized observers. I guess it could just be the empire not caring about their own troops, but still.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

PROMPTO / HOBO

That it's this hard to reach consensus on whatever the gently caress just happened proves that whatever the devs were intending, they did it poorly.

At first I thought the sequence was made deliberately confusing to the viewer to make us experience a confusing sequence from noct's perspective, but that kind of fails because as (let's) players, we've already seen expository scenes of things happening far away from Noct, so why lock us to his perspective now?

There was a guy I used to work with who loved the story and controls of this game. Watching this LP I can't understand why, but he was a mountain of bad opinions overall.

Speaking of opinions: FF9 had a super sluggish combat system which was a chore to play so I don't understand why everyone likes it so much :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sudonim posted:

Speaking of opinions: FF9 had a super sluggish combat system which was a chore to play so I don't understand why everyone likes it so much :colbert:

Charming characters and story. The combat's definitely a slog but some folks can get past that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

That doesn't make much sense either. From Prompto's perspective Noctis just went berserk all of a sudden and tried to attack him only to pratfall and get knocked out, so are we supposed to believe that he just ran off after something like that? The guy's an idiot, yes, but you'd think he'd not just abandon the guy he's supposedly sworn to protect.

Or for that matter, are we supposed to believe that Chancellor Hobo was fighting his own dudes at your side? It's not like this stuff could be actual shapeshifting since you'd think Prompto would have noticed if he just got polymorphed, so that sort of thing would likely raise a few eyebrows among any non-hypnotized observers. I guess it could just be the empire not caring about their own troops, but still.

Remember that all the empire's troops are demon-powered robots. It wouldn't be too weird for Ardyn to not care at all about destroying a few while putting on his "confuse the gently caress out of Noctis" routine.

The devs very well may have just not planned the sequence of events right though.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 24, 2018

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

sudonim posted:

That and it was such a by the numbers placeholder while they worked on FFX, I couldn't understand why it existed at all when I originally played it. :shrug:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Charming characters and story. The combat's definitely a slog but some folks can get past that.

It always bothered me though that the story went from a zany bunch of misadventures with the evil empire popping its head up over and over again to straight up making it a fight against the evil empire out of nowhere. Happens as soon as news that Alexandria trashed the rat kingdom reaches Lindblum and Zidane, just some boy thief with a boner for a princess who's managed to survive out of dumb luck, volunteers to take on an entire army to save another kingdom for some old friend he hasn't seen in a long while. I remember Mega64 did a brief hiatus on his IX LP at that point and I didn't understand why, but replaying it, I definitely get it.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 53: Assuage

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I've seen quite a few characters in these cutscenes and I barely understand the relationships between any of them, their motivations, or what most of their names are.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Amazing you forgot what happened to Prompto. Very fitting. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wait, scouser Biggs says, "Nothing but daemons in the Capital. Meanwhile the Crystal's just sitting there."

Is he referring to Insomnia, Noct's kingdom?

Because, if memory serves, his "kingdom" consisted entirely of just that one city. If the giant missile-making GBS threads demons have finished killing everyone there, what exactly is he fighting for, again?

Good thing we spent all that time licking toads.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, scouser Biggs says, "Nothing but daemons in the Capital. Meanwhile the Crystal's just sitting there."

Is he referring to Insomnia, Noct's kingdom?

Because, if memory serves, his "kingdom" consisted entirely of just that one city. If the giant missile-making GBS threads demons have finished killing everyone there, what exactly is he fighting for, again?

He's talking about the Niflheim capital. Which you are on the way to.

The problem presented in Tenebrae was that the train was en route to a city that, it's been discovered, is crawling with daemons, and it's deemed too unsafe to lead civilian trains there (so Tenebrae is the last public stop, most of those people at the station are freaking out about where they're gonna live now). Problem is Noct and co still need to get to Gralea to take back the crystal that got stolen 50 hours ago off screen, which is why they had Aranea introduce them to Biggs and Wedge who are gonna take them there.

Also they're trying to find Ravus (brother in law) because he looted your dad's dead body during Kingsglaive and stole his sword, which is one of the royal arms plot devices you're looking for.

This game is so loving bad at explaining itself.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Aww, I hate it when my flesh begins to fail me! :argh:

One time I was at the grocery store and this neckbeardy guy in front of me had like twenty frozen chicken sandwiches and five or six packages of bologna and nothing else.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If I had to live in that dumbass not-world, I would be licking toads until my pee turned ropey.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Was that "flesh fails me" flashback before or after Hobodude stabbed her?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So Ravus is on our side now? I have no idea what's going on. (that's not unusual for these updates)

I can't remember ever seeing anything said about a glaive before the old lady mentioned it but now out of nowhere Gladiolus and Blindy McBritish are bringing it up on their own like it's been a goal all along.

Bruceski posted:

Was that "flesh fails me" flashback before or after Hobodude stabbed her?

Looks like before they took her out to do the Summoning. Although she seemed perfectly healthy pre-stabbing so I don't understand this flashback either.

e: Why would Luna have confided in some random little kid/the public at large about how she was worried Noctis would see their wedding as a burden? This seems weird.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 27, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the Empire has been making demons and the Empire's capital is overrun by demons? Is that right?

Fantasy villains do seem to love messing with evil otherworldly powers that ought never to be messed with, and then they're always surprised when things go sour.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zoe posted:

So Ravus is on our side now? I have no idea what's going on. (that's not unusual for these updates)

I can't remember ever seeing anything said about a glaive before the old lady mentioned it but now out of nowhere Gladiolus and Blindy McBritish are bringing it up on their own like it's been a goal all along.
Ravus carrying Noct's dad's sword around has actually been brought up a few times before. For some reason they've just never been concerned about taking it from him any of the times he's been in the same area as them before now. I think he's technically been on the good guy's side, and acting as the emperor's lapdog so he could be in a position to stay close to Luna and help with the "overthrow the empire with the power of gods" plan, but also actively dislike's Noctis and thinks he's unworthy brat. I don't know, all his story happens mostly offscreen or in the movie.

NikkolasKing posted:

So the Empire has been making demons and the Empire's capital is overrun by demons? Is that right?

Fantasy villains do seem to love messing with evil otherworldly powers that ought never to be messed with, and then they're always surprised when things go sour.
They've been capturing demons, experimenting on them in their lab, and using them to make their "magitek" walking suits of armor.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If there's anyone here who's beaten the game, how much time do you estimate is left in the main plot?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Lunethex posted:

If there's anyone here who's beaten the game, how much time do you estimate is left in the main plot?

3-4 hours but that was at near max level after doing every dumb quest . So it may be a bit more for them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Lady Lunafreya was lucky to find a nice guy like you!"

"Got it."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
wrt their romance, as far as I remember the game has implied they've only actually met in person twice: when Noctis spent a few weeks at Lunafreya's place recovering from [insert fantasy illness] when they were kids, and in Venice just before it all went to hell and Luna got shanked. I guess their love could have blossomed via their pen pal dog, but Noctis doesn't exactly strike me as capable of winning somebody's heart with his endless "Got It" entries.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So to make everything clear.

The Emprie was making soldiers powered by Daemons. Offscreen the Imperial capital has now been overwhelmed by Daemons and everyone there is now ether dead or locked inside their house hoping they won't get killed by Daemons. Meaning that the Empire was pretty much destroyed off screen. They are no longer even guarding the MacGuffin Crystal or anything anymore, it's just filled with Daemons.

Ravus the brother in law who is commander of the Imperial forces. He has met with you a few times and sort of fought you once. He hated you and seemed to be planned to be the rival. As he also apparently had his own agenda and plan to take over. He also has one of the Swords you need. Appearntly he changed his mind about disliking you and his evil plans off screen and has decided to help you instead, so he plans to give you the sword in the capital. Also it appears he is taking the fall for Levithan destroying that town and the Empire has sentenced him to death.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
I have to admit, I gasped when I saw Prompto get pushed off the train. I figured out that Ardyn had created some kind of illusion to make Noctis attack Prompto earlier, but just enough time passed between the two scenes that I didn't realize Noctis shoved the wrong person until it was too late. Pretty effective set up/pay off.

It was still stupid though. Why would Ardyn bother creating an illusion? Why didn't Prompto inform Noctis he'd just tried to attack him? Why was the camera work so unclear in the 2 seconds you had to understand what just happened? Etc.

There's a section coming up that I heard they changed in a patch so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MonsterEnvy posted:

So to make everything clear.

The Emprie was making soldiers powered by Daemons. Offscreen the Imperial capital has now been overwhelmed by Daemons and everyone there is now ether dead or locked inside their house hoping they won't get killed by Daemons. Meaning that the Empire was pretty much destroyed off screen. They are no longer even guarding the MacGuffin Crystal or anything anymore, it's just filled with Daemons.

I'm guessing douchebag Chancellor is deliberately doing this to end the world and kill everyone and bring eternal night.

So, either he's really a demon himself, is serving a demon, or is one of those pretentious "humanity does not deserve to live because I'm just so mopey and depressed therefore I will kill everyone" types.

But he does seem to be having far too much fun loving with them for that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
My theory is that those people all learned the word assuage the same way I did; being obsessed with Sweeney Todd the musical.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kaasen posted:

There's a section coming up that I heard they changed in a patch so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like now.

I'm not sure it changed in the patch, or that they just added a side scene in the extras that "explains" things. But its been awhile since I played so we can only hope it was fixed.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I can't stand Ravus' face and I hope he knows this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm just kinda baffled by all these massively important setting details like the Empire's capital city apparently being overrun by demons are relegated to offhand NPC comments. Come to think of it, shouldn't Chancellor Hobo have better things to do than going around trolling the world's dumbest team if that's the case?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's down with it. Dude just likes the demon hedonistic lifestyle. Wants to get elbow deep in an iron giant while a big fish-crocodile-man-thing gives him a "death roll".

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Kaasen posted:

I have to admit, I gasped when I saw Prompto get pushed off the train. I figured out that Ardyn had created some kind of illusion to make Noctis attack Prompto earlier, but just enough time passed between the two scenes that I didn't realize Noctis shoved the wrong person until it was too late. Pretty effective set up/pay off.

I assumed Noctis was pushing Ardyn and then the camera suddenly cut to Prompto falling off the train because he was a klutz, no connection to the Noctis/Ardyn interaction at all.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
On one of the loading screens it says Shiva is dead for some reason, and Wedge brings it up too, and I thought I had gone insane and we already met Shiva somehow. But now I think it's just FFXV being FFXV.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
So what was at that big rear end quarry you guys went to and got blown up in front of ages ago?

Was that another god or whatever summons are in this?

Oh also that one guy talking about water dragons or whatever was because that snake you zwee-fought came to knock gargoyles off your train because ???

You know it's a good game when you forget a goddamn waterdragon shows up in the desert/snowy hellscape to kill some stuff.

Vavrek posted:

I assumed Noctis was pushing Ardyn and then the camera suddenly cut to Prompto falling off the train because he was a klutz, no connection to the Noctis/Ardyn interaction at all.

I think your hint was that king hobo was mysteriously holding a gun for a few seconds before you shoved prompto the hell off the train. I donno, dude doesn't look like he'd use such stupid-looking guns. Probably.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

3-4 hours but that was at near max level after doing every dumb quest . So it may be a bit more for them.

Unless its been made better in patches since I played, there's that one section that might take these guys a while to get trough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So why are Biggs and Wedge still dressed like Gestapo?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Maybe it's cold out and they don't have any non-Gestapo greatcoats?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Demicol posted:

Unless its been made better in patches since I played, there's that one section that might take these guys a while to get trough.

Their last video featured them exploring Tenebrae for 30 minutes. They tend to do everything the hard way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Danaru posted:

So why are Biggs and Wedge still dressed like Gestapo?

They're actually dressed as Warhams. So, yes.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

My theory is that those people all learned the word assuage the same way I did; being obsessed with Sweeney Todd the musical.

Hi Sweeney Todd friend. Both my wife and I are likely to burst into various songs from the musical at random moments. I'd be happy at this point in FFXV if Noctis was slaughtering people upstairs and Ignis was cooking them downstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
He’s come up with a new recipe :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread