Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Garden Party is fantastic and it blows my mind that it was made by students. Every film I see out of a French school cements that France could be the animation capital of the world if their entertainment industry had more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are lots of great student films every year that don't get Oscars, presumably because they either don't submit or perhaps the logistics are obtuse (who even submits, the artists? the college? are there idiotic "can't be screened online" rules like some festivals?).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

There are lots of great student films every year that don't get Oscars, presumably because they either don't submit or perhaps the logistics are obtuse (who even submits, the artists? the college? are there idiotic "can't be screened online" rules like some festivals?).

Animation historian Jerry Beck has a blog where he's been posting lists of submitted, but not nominated films for Best Animated Short from the 1950s onward:
http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/cartoons-considered-for-an-academy-award-1986/

Links to prior years near the bottom of the post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, the Oscars infamously can rarely be arsed to even watch all of the nominees for the animated awards (a category they created after Beauty and the Beast got too much attention) and are likely to just give the award to whatever their kids liked. Student films without marketing budgets don't stand a chance.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Roth posted:

People keep putting the Emoji Movie on in the break room at work.

Kill me.

Have you put in an anonymous call to Osha yet?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC, the Oscars infamously can rarely be arsed to even watch all of the nominees for the animated awards (a category they created after Beauty and the Beast got too much attention) and are likely to just give the award to whatever their kids liked. Student films without marketing budgets don't stand a chance.

Correct. Even going so far as to complain that obscure Chinese movies like Song of the Sea get nominated.

(Yes, I know. The voter’s words, not mine)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Speaking of obscure chinese movies guess what's getting an english dub and super limited theatrical release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjMGgmxfuOw

Big Fish and Begonia

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Speaking of obscure chinese movies guess what's getting an english dub and super limited theatrical release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjMGgmxfuOw

Big Fish and Begonia

Excellent! It'd be nowhere close to here (the pain of being in Wyoming), but I'm glad more people are gonna see it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roth posted:

People keep putting the Emoji Movie on in the break room at work.

Kill me.

The catalysts for workplace violence arent always well understood, but sometimes they are

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

Correct. Even going so far as to complain that obscure Chinese movies like Song of the Sea get nominated.

(Yes, I know. The voter’s words, not mine)

I think it was whatever studio ghibli did that year and the voter's words were "chink bullshit" or something along those lines.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was one of their best, Princess Kaguya.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Big Hero 6, but Kaguya was robbed.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I checked before I posted because I was sure it was Princess Kaguya. It was actually both Kaguya and Song of the Sea that were referred to as “Chinese fuckin’ things”.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Frozen vs Wind Rises

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wind Rises does have some understandable issues, as does Frozen, but Kaguya is basically perfect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I really liked Wind Rises, but a lot of what I liked about it was kinda invalidated by Miyazaki coming out of retirement again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wreck-it Ralph 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBw9dSVKdU

It says "teaser" but it's like 2 minutes long.

Pretty eh about it, though the final bit is pretty funny. No Calhoun or Felix in the trailer at all. I guess they are also keeping the Disney princess stuff close to the chest cause that's not in the trailer either. Gonna need like an actual trailer that says what the story is and a bit more than the most basic "going into the internet" cityscape

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It reminds me of one of the original Zootopia trailers that was just an intro to the world and the DMV joke. Not much to judge off this trailer, I guess.

A lot of it reminded me of the episode of Futurama in season 2 or 3 where they go into the internet and download Lucy Liu (not a surprise given Rich Moore).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macaluso posted:

Pretty eh about it, though the final bit is pretty funny.

Of course it's funny, they stole it from Monty Python's Meaning Of Life. :haw:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love Wreck It Ralph so this is pretty much my poo poo, but their visualization of the internet manages to look so generic. It just reminds me of the brainscapes in Inside Out or the spaceship interior in Wall-E. These 3d animation all look the same.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I also still hate that it’s called “Ralph Breaks the Internet”. I get that it’s a pun on Ralph wrecking things but that phrase is so dumb

kefkafloyd posted:

It reminds me of one of the original Zootopia trailers that was just an intro to the world and the DMV joke. Not much to judge off this trailer, I guess.

A lot of it reminded me of the episode of Futurama in season 2 or 3 where they go into the internet and download Lucy Liu (not a surprise given Rich Moore).

That sloth bit was loving funny tho

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The internet: popup ads, ebay and a monty python joke. A movie by people from 1999

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macaluso posted:

I also still hate that it’s called “Ralph Breaks the Internet”. I get that it’s a pun on Ralph wrecking things but that phrase is so dumb

I think it's a bit weird that they'd name a kid's movie after a phrase that was popularized thanks to Kim Kardashian's butt.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/break-the-internet

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I was complaining about the new math jokes in the incredibles as well, now that I think about it. Its weird that I got to my 30s and my complaints about kids cartoons ended up being "why is this all old people jokes?" instead of "I don't understand this crazy kid's stuff!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I was complaining about the new math jokes in the incredibles as well, now that I think about it. Its weird that I got to my 30s and my complaints about kids cartoons ended up being "why is this all old people jokes?" instead of "I don't understand this crazy kid's stuff!"

I mean...to be fair, if Ralph Wrecks the Internet really reflected the contemporary Internet it would co-star Logan Paul and have trollface memes trying to convince Ralph that Hitler had some good ideas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Phylodox posted:

I mean...to be fair, if Ralph Wrecks the Internet really reflected the contemporary Internet it would co-star Logan Paul and have trollface memes trying to convince Ralph that Hitler had some good ideas.

It would also conclude with Ralph rightfully declaring the internet was a mistake.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

That is honestly why a movie about the internet is really dumb. You either make a movie that is dated when it's made or make a movie that is dated five minutes after it comes out. There isn't very much about the internet that is timeless. Like the original wreck it ralph was also like 20 year old videogame references but it at least set it explicitly in an old game in an old arcade.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is honestly why a movie about the internet is really dumb. You either make a movie that is dated when it's made or make a movie that is dated five minutes after it comes out. There isn't very much about the internet that is timeless. Like the original wreck it ralph was also like 20 year old videogame references but it at least set it explicitly in an old game in an old arcade.

Considering the guy in the trailer was using one of those old two-color iMacs I haven't seen since the 90s I thought it was going to be a period piece set in the early Internet at first. Then the girl playing with her phone showed up and, so there went that idea.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There isn't very much about the internet that is timeless.

I mean...pop-up ads, cat pictures, and eBay.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

I mean...pop-up ads, cat pictures, and eBay.

Cat pictures sure, ebay and popup ads sure seem like jokes from 'you got mail" more than topical things the kids today think of when they think of the internet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cat pictures sure, ebay and popup ads sure seem like jokes from 'you got mail" more than topical things the kids today think of when they think of the internet.

I still get pop-up ads (although they're in-browser rather than popping up a whole new window) all the time, and eBay is still very much a thing. They might not be things forever and ever, but they don't exactly date the film. They're recognizable but safe things.

Again, when your average tween talks about the Internet, they probably talk about Logan Paul and his cool, irreverent pranks, bro, and I could do without that.

Or maybe Ralph will get stuck in a Let's Play video of his own game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The main thing that concerns me about the trailer is that the first movie established and wrapped up character arcs, and the sequel seems to be more of a travelogue of gags. If the reason for them going to the internet is just "it's there, let's see what it's about", as the trailer implies, that's not very exciting or gets me very invested.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

I still get pop-up ads (although they're in-browser rather than popping up a whole new window) all the time, and eBay is still very much a thing. They might not be things forever and ever, but they don't exactly date the film. They're recognizable but safe things.

At the very least it makes it one of the very least timeless major animated movies disney has done.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why did the arcade game hub look so empty :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At the very least it makes it one of the very least timeless major animated movies disney has done.

Not everything has to be timeless. As long as the story works, a few dated references won't drag it down. It would be like The Terminator being disregarded because the T-800 looks up Sarah Connor's name in a phone book. A phone book?!? What even is that?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

Wreck-it Ralph 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBw9dSVKdU

It says "teaser" but it's like 2 minutes long.

Pretty eh about it, though the final bit is pretty funny. No Calhoun or Felix in the trailer at all. I guess they are also keeping the Disney princess stuff close to the chest cause that's not in the trailer either. Gonna need like an actual trailer that says what the story is and a bit more than the most basic "going into the internet" cityscape

Yeesh.

I thought the concept had a lot of potential. You've got a whole parallel universes angle (other arcades connected to the internet with other Ralphs/Turbos/Felixes) that would be a logicial step. Instead, this comes across the The Emoji Movie, Only This Time It's The Internet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

Not everything has to be timeless. As long as the story works, a few dated references won't drag it down. It would be like The Terminator being disregarded because the T-800 looks up Sarah Connor's name in a phone book. A phone book?!? What even is that?

The videogame humor in the first one worked because it was old games in universe. Trying to make internet humor just seems like a thing that isn't going to age very well at all. Like a movie that mentions phone books can age fine but a movie that is all 'whats the deal with phone books!? every town has a AAA pizza, am I rite?" isn't

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like a movie that mentions phone books can age fine but a movie that is all 'whats the deal with phone books!? every town has a AAA pizza, am I rite?" isn't

We don’t know that that’s the movie’s whole deal, though. For all we know, what we saw is the extent of the “Internet, am I right?” jokes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ralph Wrecks the Internet sounds so much better wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like a title like "Wreck It Ralph: Online" would strike a better and less "internet, am I right" tone.