Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Their opinions on DS9 have been dire, and I don't just mean that they aren't head over heels in love with it because obviously that's fine if extremely sad and misguided. They've just been bad about interpreting or even understanding what's happening in any given episode. It's the kind of thing that I shouldn't even care about in a podcast that I mostly listen to for dick and fart jokes, but they've been doing it so consistently that it's getting in the way of the humor. I can't tell if they're really this dense or if they're just purposefully looking for things to criticize.

Actually, I've been listening to their DS9 stuff, and I'm not convinced they know the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor happened? Which seems like a dumb thing to say, because how do you miss that, but I'm getting the impression they think Bajor and Cardassia went to war, and it was a bad one, but the Bajorans fought the Cardassians off. I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Have they reached the Nazi war criminal episode yet? Because you'd almost have to be willfully ignorant to not get the subtext of that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Joe Menosky, the guy that wrote Darmok, has joined The Orville as co-executive producer and writer. He's leaving Discovery for it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Joe Menosky, the guy that wrote Darmok, has joined The Orville as co-executive producer and writer. He's leaving Discovery for it.

loving lol factor nine over here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

He's only co-credited for one Discovery episode, but this feels like a big loss as he was easily the most senior Trek writer on staff.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Have they reached the Nazi war criminal episode yet? Because you'd almost have to be willfully ignorant to not get the subtext of that one.

I don't remember why, exactly, but it was listening to that episode that made me think they missed that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Re: sound effects chat, I grew up on TOS so I'm biased toward the phasers in that, but the phasers in Wrath of Khan are probably objectively the best. Its a raw, almost ripping kind of sound that just seems vicious.

How has CGI gotten so much better, but sound effects so much worse?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Well a race of cuckold speedsters was not something I was expecting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

How has CGI gotten so much better, but sound effects so much worse?

Probably a direct link there, isn’t it? When all you have is a model spaceship comped into a starry background, you have to go the extra mile to sell its existence as a giant war machine with sound and direction and so forth. When you already have the ship whipped up as a 3D model and can make it do whatever you have time and money to render, the need to sell suspension of disbelief in other ways is a lot less pressing.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Aside from Sword of Kahless, early season 4 of DS9 has been amazing. I love how even Rom gets to be a fully formed character. Also "Roswell was real and our aliens were the ones who crashed" is my favorite hack-y TV plot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's only co-credited for one Discovery episode, but this feels like a big loss as he was easily the most senior Trek writer on staff.

Offhand I'd say it looks like he wrote most of Voyager's good episodes. Equinox, Year of Hell, and Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy most notably.

This says to me that MacFarlane is serious about doing a Trek show. Let's hope the dude has some new ideas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mllaneza posted:

Offhand I'd say it looks like he wrote most of Voyager's good episodes. Equinox, Year of Hell, and Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy most notably.

This says to me that MacFarlane is serious about doing a Trek show. Let's hope the dude has some new ideas.

I really want to like The Orville, but the complete lack of original ideas is the one thing holding me back from truly enjoying it. Maybe Menosky can help fix that. I'm really curious to see if he offers any tidbits on the Discovery writer's room or if he'll remain silent to avoid burning any bridges. I'm still surprised they only had him work on a single episode, and an early one at that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The whole distance inconsistency thing could be explained at those speed figures being for when the Enterprise or whatever is going from Point A to Point B in a more or less direct route, while exploring requires a lot more slow-boating diddlefucking, launching probes and so forth. Extended loiters in every single poo poo-rear end red dwarf. An intensive examination of every body in ten cubic light years of space would take a long time compared to "fly through here, avoid that blue star."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mllaneza posted:

To me, it speaks volumes that someone with that much Star Trek history is leaving an actual Trek show (the first one in 13 years) for Trek with the number filed off.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really want to like The Orville, but the complete lack of original ideas is the one thing holding me back from truly enjoying it. Maybe Menosky can help fix that. I'm really curious to see if he offers any tidbits on the Discovery writer's room or if he'll remain silent to avoid burning any bridges. I'm still surprised they only had him work on a single episode, and an early one at that.

Fuller brought him on board. He probably had some sort of minimum in his contract that got him that one episode. It seems clear though that once Fuller and his vision exited, he didn't mesh with the project anymore.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 27, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really want to like The Orville, but the complete lack of original ideas is the one thing holding me back from truly enjoying it.

See, I don't get this sentiment. Actual, sincerely original ideas are really, really hard to do in storytelling media. Hell, TNG, is a retreat of Star Trek, which is Wagon Train in space, which is based on the film The Big Trail, which is...

The point is not plot but execution of said plot in context of the characters and the world you've built. If the only entertainment you consume is absolutely original, then you don't consume any entertainment other than Greek and Roman plays.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

mycomancy posted:

The point is not plot but execution of said plot in context of the characters and the world you've built. If the only entertainment you consume is absolutely original, then you don't consume any entertainment other than Greek and Roman plays.

Greek and Roman plays are based on Greek myths, which are based on Mediterranean and Indo-European myths, which are...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Greek and Roman plays are based on Greek myths, which are based on Mediterranean and Indo-European myths, which are...

Yes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mycomancy posted:

See, I don't get this sentiment. Actual, sincerely original ideas are really, really hard to do in storytelling media. Hell, TNG, is a retreat of Star Trek, which is Wagon Train in space, which is based on the film The Big Trail, which is...

I’m not talking about The Orville being a Trek show in all but name, I’m talking about nearly every episode of The Orville taking literal bits and pieces of TNG and TOS episodes and stitching them together with different characters.

You can sit through each episode and pinpoint the individual episodes the writers were clearly inspired by. It’s extremely derivative.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
And to clarify, I’m not just bashing The Orville without reason. I do like the show, I just recognize that the first season was essentially TNG leftovers, and that’s exactly what Mcfarlane was aiming for. I just hope season 2 is better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

The sound of the Vengeance's engines in warp was pretty sweet.

Oh, true. If only her guns matched her gams.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Inspired by ancient aliens who Kirk would later meet and kill?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looking at Menosky's episode list, his TNG episodes look like a cross section of the show. Some really good episodes (Darmok), a bunch of good ones, and some mediocre to bad ones. His DS9 episodes are like a list of the most forgettable ones

I haven't watched Voyager since I was a child and it was airing so I dunno about those.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

cheetah7071 posted:

Looking at Menosky's episode list, his TNG episodes look like a cross section of the show. Some really good episodes (Darmok), a bunch of good ones, and some mediocre to bad ones. His DS9 episodes are like a list of the most forgettable ones

I haven't watched Voyager since I was a child and it was airing so I dunno about those.

Again, a mixed bag; 'Distant Origin', 'Scorpion' and 'Hope and Fear' are all great, I've always had a fondness for 'Remember' and 'Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy', but 'Cathexis' is nonsense mixed with insulting Chakotay indian-babble, and 'Darkling' is actively notorious even by Voyager standards.

And, yeah, that list of DS9 credits; 'Time's Orphan' was the only one I remembered anything about offhand, and only that it was another 'O'brien must suffer' installment.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

...consumed by proles who don't look at the original cave-paintings. :smug:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And to clarify, I’m not just bashing The Orville without reason. I do like the show, I just recognize that the first season was essentially TNG leftovers, and that’s exactly what Mcfarlane was aiming for. I just hope season 2 is better.

The problem is, there’s been so much Star Trek, you can claim anything’s been done.

Go ahead. Come up with an idea for an episode. Elevator pitch.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

The problem is, there’s been so much Star Trek, you can claim anything’s been done.

A shockingly clean Enterprise E visits DS9 at the height of the Dominion War causing renewed loathing between Sisko and Picard. Enterprise carpets revealed to be infested by Borg cleaning probes

B plot: Kira and Riker spend a steamy night in the holosuites after connecting over the fact that ppl like to share w them about banging their parents

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is there a gun control allegory episode?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Is there a gun control allegory episode?

Son there's no need in the glorious future you can shoot space men with your plasma shotgun or keep an energy rifle behind your bar on the cotdarn flagship

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For me the main thing putting me off the Orville is Seth McFarlane’s smarmy face. Wish he hadn’t cast himself.

And also none of the clips I’ve seen made me laugh. And literally recycling TNG plots is beyond lazy and cynical.

Also, I like Discovery.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Fuller brought him on board. He probably had some sort of minimum in his contract that got him that one episode. It seems clear though that once Fuller and his vision exited, he didn't mesh with the project anymore.

Menosky was hired by Fuller to do the job that Akiva Goldsman was brought on to do after Fuller was fired, which is to say wrangling the writers' room.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

For me the main thing putting me off the Orville is Seth McFarlane’s smarmy face. Wish he hadn’t cast himself.

And also none of the clips I’ve seen made me laugh. And literally recycling TNG plots is beyond lazy and cynical.

Also, I like Discovery.

I saw him on Gilmore Girls and lolled

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Gul Dukat retires from the Cardassian military to become a professional juggler. Sisko suspects a Cardassian plot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

A Plot: Picard runs for Federation President as a way to get his nagging mother off his back. B Plot: Data experiments with marijuana.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

marktheando posted:

Yeah, I'm not bothering to check it out for the same reason. It's hard to give a show a fair chance when you want to see the main character punched in his stupid face before you've even started watching.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much everyone says it's good but I think I'll enjoy not liking it based on previews and a guy's face more than giving it a fair shot!

-Goons

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well I'm put off by Seth MacFarlane's history of punching down on people in his body of work.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
DS9 rewatch. Just watched "Melora." This is so, so much worse than "Move Along Home." This, "The Muse," and "Profit and Lace" are in a different category of bad as "Move Along Home." They're bad for different reasons, but they're all so much worse than everything else in DS9. I haven't regretted watching every episode until now, including "Move Along Home." gently caress this 90s.txt bullshit.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Bloop posted:

Pretty much everyone says it's good but I think I'll enjoy not liking it based on previews and a guy's face more than giving it a fair shot!

-Goons

There's more than enough good TV out there, including Discovery, that I don't need to tolerate Seth McFarlane's smarmy, punchble Dreamworks Face just to watch some sci fi. (My previous post notwithstanding.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Move Along Home is campy but good.

Some great early character development. Aliens being not dangerous but decidedly alien in their motivations.

I already have enough sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tunicate posted:

B Plot: Data experiments with marijuana.

It is... green.