Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the most important kickboxing illuminati twitter subscription you can do at this time is: https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan

if you want the inside scoop on Tenshin, K-1, and impenetrable politics bullshit this is the guy

like fuckin clockwork

https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/967063151748382720

also another high level thai in a championship fight

https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/967065886673616898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i know there's different rules for thai boxing specifically and all the different promotions are a nightmare of organized crime and corruption, but how many thai fighters would be world class if there was the equivalent of a UFC of kickboxing?

are there just tons of dudes toiling in obscurity to westerners even moreso than the normal kickboxing mess? like this guy's fight with tenshin was great but even diehards in this thread had like no idea who he was

Late on this but yea it's sort of the case from what I can tell. The rules and culture are different as dunc noted and the other point I would add is that I'm pretty certain that the gyms in thailand have huge amounts of control over their fighters which makes it hard for them to negotiate stuff overseas.

Also punches either don't score or are scored less (I've read conflicting stuff about this) so there has traditionally been a lack of focus on boxing skills in MT as Dunc said. Basically from what I can tell punches only score if they are really significant and that's of course up to a lot of intepretation (this website outlines it decently well I think https://khunkaogym.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/a-laymans-guide-to-scoring-a-muay-thai-fight/). One of the ways the first wave of successful farangs made a splash in thailand was by exploiting the thai boxing deficit and chasing knockdowns and KOs. Ramon Dekkers and John Wayne Parr are examples of this (though JWP had thai style training as well).

Dekkers V Coban 2 is always worth watching. A huge milestone for the boxing aspect being appreciated in MT and farangs in the sport. It's also just crazy as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=277jm2NhymA

Also I may have linked this before but I think John Wayne Parrs documentary is really cool if you're remotely interested in MT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMij3Gx4nU

e- ^ part of the reason I hope muay thai in thailand stays untouched- all the traditional and quirky stuff is so drat cool. "anyone who got a knockout on a nationally televised fight was gifted a gold chain." I've said it before but I'd willingly fork over 10 bucks a month for an HD feed of lumpinee fights. I'm sure I could use a VPN or dodgy sites to watch Thai sport tv or whatever but I haven't put effort into investigating it. Apologies for the word salad, i'm tired and trying to remember stuff from when I went through a MT viewing kick like two years ago.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Well, the Lumpinee lightweight title was just contested in Japan between Kulabdam and Genji Umeno, so there's at least a HD version of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaNvq0reuBE

Also, KNOCK OUT have said they're going to continue broadcasting their shows on Periscope, so that's cool. Curiously, Abema (K-1's online broadcast partner) have just announced some kind of weekly reality show surrounding Tenshin going around sparring with famous fighters and pro wrestlers, but it's literally named "Tenshin Nasukawa challenger tournament". His name allegedly used to be censored on their service (because people kept spamming it during Takeru fights). He's also holding Rizin's feet to the fire to do more kickboxing bouts. The one person who is cutting through all the ridiculous backroom politics bullshit is a fuckin 19 year old.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Well, the Lumpinee lightweight title was just contested in Japan between Kulabdam and Genji Umeno, so there's at least a HD version of that

That was legit amazing. I don't understand Thai Vs regular kickboxing but that straight seemed to be there all night but never taken advantage of by both fighters, is that just Thai style?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Slow starts are Thai style, but it seemed like a light went off above Kulabdam's head once he hit the straight left in the third round, and then it just kept landing over and over and over, and Umeno just couldn't adjust

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
btw it was mentioned in the boxing thread but nieky holzken is a late replacement and is boxing in the wbss semi finals in about 2 hours

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

btw it was mentioned in the boxing thread but nieky holzken is a late replacement and is boxing in the wbss semi finals in about 2 hours

this is the most one-sided fight in either tournament that i'm most interested to see.

also, in the opinion of the kb illuminati, will takeru and tenshin ever fight before one or the other loses / starts fading?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

this is the most one-sided fight in either tournament that i'm most interested to see.

also, in the opinion of the kb illuminati, will takeru and tenshin ever fight before one or the other loses / starts fading?

As of next month they're going to be 2 weight classes apart (although technically so was suakim). Honestly at this point i think "if Takeru wins the gp" is a pretty loving big if, his likely path is Stauros, Nedrov, then Suarek. Stauros is a good fighter in his own right and hosed Taiga's world up quick. Nedrov I haven't seen much of, from what I've seen I don't think he's a world beater but I think he's a loving horror to fight in an 8 man GP. He's got that Robin van Roosmalen style where he's constantly mixing body punching, leg kicks, and power shots around the guard. He destroyed former It's Showtime champ Sergio Wielzen (again not a world beater but a solid fighter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAV3t2oMQ0Q

It's a horrific style to be up against if you fight like Takeru does and you have another fight before and after. I think Takeru at his best beats both Stauros and Nedrov but there is a serious chance that both guys sleep him. There is some creeping doubt amongst the kickboxing illuminati about whether Takeru makes it through.

As for the business side of things, I think conventional wisdom at this point says that Tenshin would gently caress Takeru up, I doubt K-1 would want to have their biggest star get beat by a teenager. I just don't see it happening even though it's the only superfight that's ever made sense.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
On one hand, :(

On the other, I really want to watch that gp

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol gently caress, i'm not sure i posted it before but i heard they were sort of not seriously considering sacrificing horiguchi to tenshin in kickboxing, but then today:

https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/967963080360542209

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol gently caress, i'm not sure i posted it before but i heard they were sort of not seriously considering sacrificing horiguchi to tenshin in kickboxing, but then today:

https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/967963080360542209

jesus christ. no. horiguchi would be giving up size along with everything else

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

jesus christ. no. horiguchi would be giving up size along with everything else

Tenshin fights at 55kg, which is a hair under 122lbs, and kickboxers generally don't cut a lot. But I mean the bigger issue is that even though Horiguchi is an elite level MMA fighter who adapted from a karate background, I don't think he ever actually did knockdown karate. Whereas Tenshin has the same number of professional fights as Horiguchi, plus over a hundred amateur fights, plus coming out of the Japanese teen karate death fight circuit. It's an insurmountable experience deficit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Huh for some reason I thought tenshin fought at 135. Well, that's good, but every thing else you said is still a scary prospect for poor guch.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
1) Using a blade-elbowed Kickboxer, quickly cut off the front of the Horiguchi about 1/4 inch above the eyes. This kills the Kyogi.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

plus coming out of the Japanese teen karate death fight circuit.

Tell me more about this

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dr.Radical posted:

Tell me more about this

The best kickboxers in Japan come from knockdown karate. It's basically kyokushin with boxing gloves, so strikes to the head are legal. Here's a quick video of Noiri as a kid, it doesn't show it but the kid he head kicks in the first bout gets stretchered. There's also a shitload of amateur kickboxing with supernaturally talented kids from knockdown karate or pure kyokushin, which leads to situations like Tenshin having over a hundred amateur fights before turning "pro". It's insane and it shouldn't happen, but a lot of talent bubbles up and into kickboxing from that weird world, and the cream of the crop are absolute killers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JlrepSdXw

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Before I forget, pretty good card from Glory on saturday:

Glory 51 - Rotterdam
Heavyweight Headline Bout: Badr Hari vs. Hesdy Gerges
Welterweight Tournament Final Bout: Winner of Bout A vs. Winner of Bout B
Heavyweight Co-Headline Bout: Tomas Mozny vs. Daniel Skvor
Welterweight Tournament Semifinal Bout B: Eyevan Danenberg vs. Jimmy Vienot
Welterweight Tournament Semifinal Bout A: Thongchai Sitsongpeenong vs. Alan Scheinson

Glory 51 - SuperFight Series
Welterweight Contender Headline Bout: Cédric Doumbé vs. Alim Nabiyev
Welterweight Co-Headline Bout: Mohammed Jaraya vs. Miles Simson
Lightweight Bout: Tyjani Beztati vs. Anil Cabri
Featherweight Bout: Massaro Glunder vs. Victor Pinto
Middleweight Bout: Kevin van Heeckeren vs. Bart Kroon

Doumbe vs Nabiyev could be really good, and it's free on fight pass

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
at least Badr Hari vs Hesdy is on last, so you can just stop watching before it starts.

Welterweight tournament should be fun.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Hesdy's had a bad few years, and nobody knows what level Badr is at because he doesn't fight. Also Badr's taking way less steroids now, presumably because he can't afford them without a win bonus. I'm morbidly curious about it, it was shaping up to be a good fight 8 years ago before Badr threw his toys out of the pram because Hesdy wouldn't let him knock him out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MrBling posted:

at least Badr Hari vs Hesdy is on last, so you can just stop watching before it starts.

What are you talking about. Badr is the draw man. How can you pass on that theme song.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
A week or two ago my facebook memories popped up to remind me of the time hesdy got caught with 128 kg of coke. An impressive feat

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

david carmichael posted:

A week or two ago my facebook memories popped up to remind me of the time hesdy got caught with 128 kg of coke. An impressive feat

I think the final telling on that was Hesdy wasn't anywhere near the cocaine but someone decided to push an investigation because his half-brother was the one in the warehouse.

Led to this great quote from his trainer:
"Hesdy has been framed. He wakes up at 7:30, at 10:00am he trains with me, rests in the afternoon, then in the evening does strength and conditioning and is in bed by 10:00 PM. I cannot imagine that he still would have time for things like this."

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Glory is on tomorrow. Badr is nearly 30lbs lighter than when he fought Verhoeven. He is so far removed from his horsed out peak.

https://twitter.com/ZiggysFollies/status/969535574150451200

Mohammed Jaraya is also fighting 10 months into his 2 year suspension for attacking a judge in Enfusion. Dutch Justice at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqgnXmmgN-4

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
oh yeah and watch this

https://vimeo.com/257515160

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this is so sick. having a fan dedicated enough to make a 20 minute long compilation video means that kick punching might be ready to make its big return to the mainstream!

e. lol i just got to the first double ko and the ref responded like he'd been reffing double ko's his entire life. consummate professional.

e2. the video compiler loving loves body shot ko's. and so do i.

e3. wow i can't remember the last time i saw someone head kick ko a dude who was falling down from a head punch ko.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 3, 2018

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

this is so sick. having a fan dedicated enough to make a 20 minute long compilation video means that kick punching might be ready to make its big return to the mainstream!

sadly it's because that's no ordinary fan, that's the coach that turned johny hendricks into the guy who outstruck robbie lawler. he is married to kickboxing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wow so this video is only his second greatest achievement.

seriously turning johny from a guy with a left to being able to box inside with robbie lawler for ten rounds and win most of them is one of the most impressive transformations i've seen in combat sports.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
20 minutes of highlights. Double KO ref is my fav so far

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

owns all of the bones

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

ufc fightpass has it's first full rulesuay thai card on right now (friday night fights out of nyc), it's fun so far

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Anybody who wants to watch some kickboxing before they watch some kickboxing, Wu Lin Feng is live right now http://v.baidu.com/live/henanws

No idea what the card is, but I know Ilias Bulaid is on it and all of his fights are good

edit: well i posted this just in time for him to win the decision so now i have no idea what is on this card

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 3, 2018

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Sanda champ Fu Gaofeng made his kickboxing debut and absolutely faceplanted Darry Sichtman who is a much higher level Dutch kickboxer than anybody would make their debut against. One to watch.

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/969963534913343488

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 3, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I did not know the glory card was at 1 pm. Thought it was on at night.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Sanda champ Fu Gaofeng made his kickboxing debut and absolutely faceplanted Darry Sichtman who is a much higher level Dutch kickboxer than anybody would make their debut against. One to watch.

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/969963534913343488

That's a pretty loving cool sound that punch made too.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
fight pass portion of glory 51 is live

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ah uh... much less aesthetically pleasing faceplant ko but a faceplant ko regardless

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Massaro Glunder just took a snap high kick straight to the dick, ouch

edit: the crowd going "Whoooooo-O!" for the replays of the dick kick lol

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
world class level groin kick. hope to get a video of that one, it was as bad as takeru/saravia.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

EXCELLENT impersonation of "old woman lost at Costco" from the Turkish fighter after that headkick

Beautifully failed standing 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Good fight from Jaraya, but he looks flat out jiggly at 77kg. I know Kyshenko's at 80kg over in China, but they're worlds apart.