Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
BP has what amounts to a coup and full-on civil war with a lot of deaths. Everyone's really flippant about killing their own countrymen. Anyway, not showing how the general populace reacts or is affected by this is just bizarre. The last third of the movie took a nosedive if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crosspostin'

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/zack-snyder-confirms-fan-theory-about-supermans-black-suit-and-his-place-on-earth

https://twitter.com/nickalbright/st...-place-on-earth

quote:

"I'm rewatching #ManofSteel and I'm starting to think THAT deleted scene of #JusticeLeague originally was intended to be more than just a normal Easter Egg. I think it was going to be a callback to this line and theme from MoS [spoken by Kevin Costner's Jonathan Kent]: 'All these changes that you're going through, one day ... one day you're gonna think of them as a blessing; and when that day comes, you're gonna have to make a choice... a choice of whether to stand proud in front of the human race or not.' Clark deliberately chooses to return to his blue and red suit instead of the dark black suit."

Surprisingly, Snyder replied to tell Mr. Albright that he was indeed correct:

"I think of course it's that (what you said) and now, in one sense, he has been born twice: Once on Krypton, once on Earth, and it is this reality that he now is starkly aware of as he moves through the ship," wrote the director, referring to when the Flash, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, and Batman exhume Superman's body to bring him back to life on the crashed Kryptonian ship in Metropolis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

Superheroes are intrinsically fascist.

Captain Hitler and his sidekick Hitler Youth should have been a hint probably.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Corporal Hitler and his sidekick Hitler Youth should have been a hint probably.

Fixed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: little people chat

Justice League spent about 5 minutes of screen time following the tribulations of a random Russian family throughout the film and it felt really forced and awkward. It also had that terrible scene right at the start where Superman chats to some kids for their blog. Also when they save Cyborg's Dad from the Parademons there was a bunch of completely random people who had also been kidnapped, etc etc.. It really felt like some WB studio exec read a bunch of tweets about how the characters seemed aloof and unapproachable in the earlier films and sent down a directive to show the heroes interacting with regular people.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's what I would love to do to each WB exec and Joss Whedon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

Captain Hitler and his sidekick Hitler Youth should have been a hint probably.

You just described the final comic of Stardust the Super Wizard.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

Whoa, Black Panther is already the ninth highest grossest comic book movie (domestic).

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's basically guaranteed to hit number 2 at this point, with a plausible outside chance of exceeding the domestic take of Avengers to make it the number 1 domestic superhero box office of all time.

For Black Panther, a property widely assumed for several decades to be too niche to be worth making any movie at all about.

At just 10 days in it's already smashing The Avengers, it's $30 million ahead of where they were on their 10th day. It'll be interesting to see how it goes from here because I have the teeniest inkling it might have some pretty good legs on it and if it makes $55 million in its 3rd weekend then it'll be on track to reaching the 3rd biggest domestic gross of all time. (Titanic is currently in 3rd place, just slightly ahead of Jurassic World.)
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Black-Panther/Avengers-The-(2011)/Jurassic-World
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Here's what I would love to do to each WB exec and Joss Whedon.

His pulled punch is cracking me up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Renoistic posted:

BP has what amounts to a coup and full-on civil war with a lot of deaths. Everyone's really flippant about killing their own countrymen. Anyway, not showing how the general populace reacts or is affected by this is just bizarre. The last third of the movie took a nosedive if you ask me.

Well, that, and the supposed council doesn't really have any say, they just do what the king tells them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Re: little people chat

Justice League spent about 5 minutes of screen time following the tribulations of a random Russian family throughout the film and it felt really forced and awkward. It also had that terrible scene right at the start where Superman chats to some kids for their blog. Also when they save Cyborg's Dad from the Parademons there was a bunch of completely random people who had also been kidnapped, etc etc.. It really felt like some WB studio exec read a bunch of tweets about how the characters seemed aloof and unapproachable in the earlier films and sent down a directive to show the heroes interacting with regular people.
Christopher Priest said in an interview that the DC execs spend a ton of time watching feedback on Twitter and they are terrified of how things will be received in the Twitter-verse. They spend all their time designing products geared towards people who may never even read the comic or see the movie and are just reacting to something someone else posted instead of focusing on good stories.

So yeah, you’re probably right.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The ultimate irony is that Nolan’s trilogy, Batman ‘89, and Donner’s Superman has already distinguished DC as being the home of “prestige” comic book adaptions. I mean, the latter two and TDK are inarguably important films in the annals of American pop culture. If they had just allowed Snyder to do his thing without meddling, it’s very possible we would have gotten another one before he was done. Instead they abandoned their own realm of success to challenge Marvel on their own turf and got promptly dunked on because they hadn’t come with the right preparation. There’s another universe out there where Snyder was allowed to finish out his own MoS trilogy on his own terms without forcing it to end in Justice League, and as lukewarm as I am on BvS, I would have much rather seen that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Christopher Priest said in an interview that the DC execs spend a ton of time watching feedback on Twitter and they are terrified of how things will be received in the Twitter-verse. They spend all their time designing products geared towards people who may never even read the comic or see the movie and are just reacting to something someone else posted instead of focusing on good stories.

Yeah I caught this in my review of Justice League. It was *incredibly* obvious that they were grovelling to Twitter.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a film made by terrified executives who just want your love and adulation and (most importantly) your money. Just stop being mean to them online. Please, here's what you want. This is Your Superman, weird unsettling digital face and all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/968554745064558592

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can see the hood right there

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Interesting. It doesn’t look all textured to hell. Looks more like the Reeves Superman costume. I... kind of dig that. It suits the character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm currently in the piqued interest phase of Vince.gif

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If that is actually the look they're going for I'll be really happy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

meanwhile, in Fox-world: An X-Force movie is getting the fast track and they're adding a new character to New Mutants during the reshoots. I cannot see a way where that does not go wrong but I remain hopeful.

Also they announced a Silver Surfer movie is in the works earlier today which could be pretty cool. I imagine they'll be inspired by the Slott/Allred series from the last couple years.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks fine. I'm not a fan of the untextured fabric but it could also be due to the photograph.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can see the hood right there

Yeah looks like the N52 version just with the hood down.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was interested in New Mutants originally because it seemed like it was going in a cool direction. But pushing it back a year, extensive reshoots and adding a completely new character? I have basically no hope it will still turn out decent after all of this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Also The Wrap is reporting Batgirl is on the backburner after Whedon's departure

quote:

DC Films and Warner Bros. are in no hurry to move forward with “Batgirl” now that writer-director Joss Whedon has stepped away, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

There are no imminent plans to attach a new filmmaker to the “Batman” spinooff after Whedon exited last week, the insider said.

Last March, the studio announced with great fanfare that the director of “The Avengers” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” would jump to the DC universe for a standalone “Batgirl” movie whose timing seemed prescient coming just before the breakout success of “Wonder Woman.” But last week, Whedon pulled out of the project, saying in a statement, “It took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story.”

According to the insider, the studio always intended to develop the core members of the Justice League — Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash and possibly Green Lantern — before spinning off secondary characters like Nightwing, Deathstroke, Lobo and Batgirl.

Even if Whedon had landed on a satisfying story, the insider said, the project was unlikely to shoot before the next “Batman” that Matt Reeves is currently writing and which remains in active development but officially undated.

They're also reporting that Time Warner could be split and sold off into parts if the merger with AT&T fails.

quote:

In addition, a cloud looms over Warner Bros. because of the lawsuit by the Department of Justice against AT&T’s $85 billion bid to buy studio parent company Time Warner.

If the merger fails, an individual close to the company told TheWrap that Time Warner would likely be broken up into parts and sold separately as Warner Bros., HBO and Turner — leaving the fate of DC Comics a bit up in the air.

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-dc-batgirl-movie/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God damnit they're gonna sell to Disney

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I was interested in New Mutants originally because it seemed like it was going in a cool direction. But pushing it back a year, extensive reshoots and adding a completely new character? I have basically no hope it will still turn out decent after all of this.

New Mutants seems to be residing in full-on panic mode. Whether that’s because the current state of it is trash, or because Fox doesn’t know how to sell an X-Men horror movie remains to be seen, but given all the nonsense involved at this point I hold much optimism for the finished product.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Daniel_Eliesen/status/968547839285473280
https://twitter.com/Daniel_Eliesen/status/968551137975549952

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So it doesn't look like a basketball?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

So it doesn't look like a basketball dodgeball?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tee hee.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/968576621220331520

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Don't talk to Groot or his son ever again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
these twitter people gibbering on about porgs and how excited they are to see infinity war (can you imagine) are like, insufferable

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The porgs were such a non entity.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I want to eat a Porg.

That roast Chewbacca had looked fuckin delicious.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, that, and the supposed council doesn't really have any say, they just do what the king tells them.

I was fine with Wakanda as a fantasy place (I mean, Gondor doesn't make much sense either) but then the plot starts to revolve around the succession, and suddenly I have to care about the integrity of this place that makes no sense.

Mr. Apollo posted:

So yeah, you’re probably right.

That is pathetic. For gently caress's sake. The idea of the DCEU as something auteur driven (or more so than the MCU) was great, but no one had the loving guts for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a hell of a thing, killing a porg.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I want to eat a Porg.

That roast Chewbacca had looked fuckin delicious.

Well, porgs were based on puffins, so they probably taste kind of fishy in that case.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/martsxdolan/status/967704913621995520

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Priest is pretty clearly talking about the comics division. I can't see why he'd have any experience with the movie people.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
nvm,

wyoming fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Priest is pretty clearly talking about the comics division. I can't see why he'd have any experience with the movie people.

sure but just looking at dc's actions when it comes to their movies(justice league especially) makes it pretty clear that that poo poo's not quarantined to the comics division