Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

I know what he was talking about, I just meant that the Punisher has always been prone to some problematic stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I don't believe Bendis is on the warpath of ruining DC from the inside like most people imagine.

I know a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the stuff Marvel's been putting out, but outside of that, I don't see the numbers moving for Marvel. If Cebulski is real about this whole fresh start thing maybe they finally bring Wolverine back after a year of pointless teasing.

I don't think they based that opinion at all on Bendis. 10 years ago, goons had largely the exact opposite opinions on DC and Marvel, at least as far as creative output was concerned. I really wouldn't be surprised if that switch happened again in another 5 or 10, especially considering how the big wigs at DC are largely the same as they were then.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is space punisher on unlimited

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's weird because I feel like Marvel has way more writers I really like than DC does, but boy does upper management at DC or whoever keep making the wrong calls.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

glitchwraith posted:

I don't think they based that opinion at all on Bendis. 10 years ago, goons had largely the exact opposite opinions on DC and Marvel, at least as far as creative output was concerned.

Hell, three years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/968540586092490752

quote:

In The Immortal Hulk, Al Ewing and Joe Bennett are crafting a new type of Hulk story, one in which Banner is capable of dying, only to be brought back to life when his corpse transforms into the Hulk after the sun falls.

"Banner can die,” Ewing told CBR in our exclusive interview with him and Bennett about their new series. “The Hulk can’t. If you shoot Banner in the head – he’ll fall over dead. He’ll lie there all day, dead as dirt, growing cold, getting stiff… right up until the sun goes down. And then… well, night is the Hulk’s time… And the Hulk remembers.”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jedi posted:

New Multiple Man miniseries coming in July from Matthew Rosenberg and Andy MacDonald

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/26/multiple-man-jamie-madrox-series-matthew-rosenberg/

Rosenberg on how Jamie is still alive despite being killed at the beginning of Death of X:

Yay I'm glad he's back. Sad that Layla won't be in it, but at least he acknowledged her and said why. But they better get back together!

Now just bring back Cyclops.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I'm getting excited about this because Ewing is clearly super pumped

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

site posted:

Yes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Do you mean the old mini series or the new Cosmic Cool Punisher Ghost Rider?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The mini from a couple years ago called space punisher

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As much as I'm not into the idea of yet another relaunch, I have to admit what they've announced so far has been really good sounding.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Jedi posted:

New Multiple Man miniseries coming in July from Matthew Rosenberg and Andy MacDonald

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/26/multiple-man-jamie-madrox-series-matthew-rosenberg/

Rosenberg on how Jamie is still alive despite being killed at the beginning of Death of X:

Hail all the various Marvel Satans! Obviously this was gonna happen eventually but I'm pleased as punch it's now instead of five years from now. My top 3 mutant characters are probably Wolverine, Wolverine's little sister, and Jamie Madrox.

Not familiar with Rosenberg off the top of my head, though; please tell me he doesn't fall into the "horrible twitter jerk" camp.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pretty much all the shine came off of Madrox for me when he hooked up with Layla.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'd be bummed about losing Totally Awesome Hulk if 1. this book didn't sound great and 2. TAH wasn't, like, not great and this is coming from someone who loves Pak, Amadeus Cho, and the Hulk

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty much all the shine came off of Madrox for me when he hooked up with Layla.

Layla was a problem, and I'll be curious to see how the book handles her.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Been awhile since I thought about X-factor. Was Layla artificially aged up or time traveled and came back older

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Been awhile since I thought about X-factor. Was Layla artificially aged up or time traveled and came back older

Does it matter? From Jamie's perspective it's still going from 10 to 20 (which is still way too young for him btw) in a day's time.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I can't remember the details of the time travel but assumed she just went somewhere with Bishop but agree that 20 is too young for Madrox.

I'm reading through Generation X where they clearly state Paige Guntherie (and the rest of GEN X except Jubilee) are 13 years old and knowing in like 4 years publication time she's hooking up with Angel. That's the worst

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

quote:

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/968540586092490752

In The Immortal Hulk, Al Ewing and Joe Bennett are crafting a new type of Hulk story, one in which Banner is capable of dying, only to be brought back to life when his corpse transforms into the Hulk after the sun falls.

"Banner can die,” Ewing told CBR in our exclusive interview with him and Bennett about their new series. “The Hulk can’t. If you shoot Banner in the head – he’ll fall over dead. He’ll lie there all day, dead as dirt, growing cold, getting stiff… right up until the sun goes down. And then… well, night is the Hulk’s time… And the Hulk remembers.”

Ok, but what if he's cremated and the ashes are spread in the ocean?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What if he's chopped up and fed to goats?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I can't remember the details of the time travel but assumed she just went somewhere with Bishop but agree that 20 is too young for Madrox.
Lurdiak's issue isn't with Layla being 20.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Didn't the Hulk originally hulk out at night before they changed it to getting angry? This is a neat spin on that and with Ewing writing it I'm pretty optimistic.

Endless Mike posted:

Lurdiak's issue isn't with Layla being 20.

Layla was better when she Knew Stuff and was going to marry Jamie "one day," because as with a lot of storyline payoff it's never quite as good as your imagination implies it will be. Jamie weirded out by her was a good story hook, I thought.

How old is Jamie, anyway?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like everyone in Marvel that's not explicitly a teenager or immortal god, ambiguously somewhere between 25 and 30.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Grooming at kid at ten to be your wife when she turns legal is still some gross woody Allen pedo poo poo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Grooming at kid at ten to be your wife when she turns legal is still some gross woody Allen pedo poo poo

It sure is, I want to say that Jamie was creeped the gently caress out by that thought though?

At least until her time travel adventures brought them closer in age.

\/\/\/ gotcha.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 27, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is, and no one is suggesting otherwise. When she was 10, Jamie thought it was really creepy that she said they'd be married some day. Then she turned 20 and he's like "welp okay I guess!" which is where Lurdiak rightly has issues. Not with Jamie being in a relationship with a 20 year old.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The big issue for me is that this isn't a "that time Peter punched Mary Jane" situation where you can just kind of pretend it didn't happen. Peter David is the guy who's responsible for shaping Multiple Man as a character more than any other author, and the entire run of X-Factor that started around Civil War was building to those two hooking up. It was like part of the arc planned for the character. How do you extricate him from that without also kind of undoing years and years of X-Factor?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

How do you extricate him from that without also kind of undoing years and years of X-Factor?

Here's how:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Heh that thing you remember happening? It actually didn't. :smug:"

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Wasn’t Layla created because of the House of M events? I seem to remember that being implied. So the solution to me would be a Secret War did it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man, am I excited for Horror Hulk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edmund Lava posted:

Wasn’t Layla created because of the House of M events? I seem to remember that being implied. So the solution to me would be a Secret War did it.

Nope. There is time travel poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was the Avengers and Champions crossover any good?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I was hoping for Hunt For Wolverine to be one book, but nope, its 4.

And Layla was only good with Cannonball

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Roth posted:

Was the Avengers and Champions crossover any good?

I liked it, despite having previously dropped both individual titles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Champions canceled and rolled into the weekly Avengers or what?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Is Champions canceled and rolled into the weekly Avengers or what?

There's a new issue out tomorrow. Jim Zub starts writing it with #19 and Sean Izaakse on art.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope. There is time travel poo poo.

She debuted in House of M but she wasn't effected by Scarlet Witch for reasons that I don't think were fully explained. Mostly mental plot armor that never really got brought up again. The time travel poo poo is why she's involved in everything, which never made any sense considering the stuff she does, but it's Marvel and time travel so it's expected. She "knew stuff" because a future version of her downloaded all of future her memories into young Layla so she could make things better or something. It was a huge mess as it went on and ended up being really dumb at the end.

EDIT:

Just to clarify in case people were confused, she debuted in House of M and was instrumental in it but she was not created by Scarlet Witch altering reality and creating the House of M. I'm sure there will be some retcon to handwave away why this happened like they do every time something like this comes up, like Xorn Magneto.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

There's a new issue out tomorrow. Jim Zub starts writing it with #19 and Sean Izaakse on art.

Thanks bud!

• Locked thread