Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Well I was going through a bunch of stuff in storage and found my old Cry Baby Wah pedal! Added this to my Minilogue pedal chain and am getting some fun tones. A recommendation online said to put the wah at the beginning of my chain so now I have Wah -> Bass Muff -> Super Chorus -> Reverb. Are there any other configurations I should be looking at or is that pretty solid unless I want to experiment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Putting the wah after the distortion is also an option. It can sound pretty different depending on the source.
Also try putting the reverb before the distortion :getin: Definitely not a staple sound but you can get some nifty shoegaze-nightmare sounds that way.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I Always go wah after distortion. With it before it always seems to get lost.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks guys! I'll definitely give that a shot. Now i just need to figure out if I have the chords/chord length to run my wah pedal under my desk with the rest still on the desk. I like having the knobs easily accessible but don't think my 1-spot daisy chain has enough length to run one below. Might have to just get a separate adapter for the wah.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What does a wah pedal actually do, anyway? Is it a high-resonance lowpass filter? It's surprisingly difficult to find a straight answer on this.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It does waka chicka waka chicka wah

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want to say off the top of my head that it's like a notch filter or bandass filter. The Q controlling the width of the band and depth the depth. So it notches all but that band out and as you wacka wacka it moves.

Probably wrong technically, but that's my rudimentary knowledge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I’ve had this Wampler FTEv2 since Christmas. It’s great but I always go back to my MXR CC. I have the weirdest relationship with that thing. It was the first pedal that ever challenged me to use properly and introduced me to my current obsession with delay/reverb. It just sounds so perfect for my uses. I try to not get hung up on OooOoOooOo analoooog but... it’s so organic and analog sounding. I can’t help it.

I should suck it up, sell the FTE and get the CC Deluxe right?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I’ve had this Wampler FTEv2 since Christmas. It’s great but I always go back to my MXR CC. I have the weirdest relationship with that thing. It was the first pedal that ever challenged me to use properly and introduced me to my current obsession with delay/reverb. It just sounds so perfect for my uses. I try to not get hung up on OooOoOooOo analoooog but... it’s so organic and analog sounding. I can’t help it.

I should suck it up, sell the FTE and get the CC Deluxe right?

FTE = digital

CC = actual analog BBD chips

(cmon son!!)

(jk it's whatever is more musically fun/useful don't worry if it's analog or digital but still the answer is CC)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sure sure I know. I’m the kind of pathetic gearslut who researches things for a hundred hours before buying. It’s just funny how I always gravitate to the analog stuff whether I know it or not. And with delays I know it doesn’t even matter THAT much. Maybe.

Wampler builds great gear but I’m thinking that I definitely prefer the dark, bouncy, chewy (lol) sound from BBDs vs the pt2399 clearer, white noisier delay. The latter is absolute not bad but it hasn’t been an oh poo poo I need this on my board kind of deal.

I keep hearing that the deluxe sounds more anemic and different from the original CC and I can’t tell if that’s guitarist bullshit or true :(

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 23, 2018

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There's a lot more going on w/ PT2399s than just analog v digital. They're pretty intentionally cheap, lo-fi emulations of a BBD chip, so you get a really specific response... but I don't know anyone who thinks of them as clearer - brighter and noisier sure but that's not the same thing imo.

My BBD style delays, I have an echo shifter for dragging the fader, 2 of the Behringer DM-2 clones for stereo fun (I think all of those are the same chip as the CC), and a couple Eurorack PT2399s I built for noise stuff. (And a Clari(not) clone that doesn't really work but w/e). Analog BBD is a beautiful beautiful sound, and so is crystal clear digital delay, but a PT2399 isn't really either (its screeching noise feedback!) So don't feel bad about preferring the real poo poo imo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s a great point and is why pt2399s are awesome in their own lofi way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah that’s a great point. I can appreciate lofi for what it is but now that I’ve actually used a pt2399 pedal in my setup I think I simply don’t like them. It really is this middle ground where the clarity isn’t there, the warmth isn’t there, but the noise and brightness is. And it’s not for me. I’m a BBD man apparently. Digital is cool too but other than my Ethereal, I haven’t owned one. I would probably like the combination of a BBD and Digital 1-2 punch.

Before I go all in on the CC Deluxe what other BBD delays should I look into? Sound quality > features every time.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So my Pitchblack Poly is failing after a minor cord yank (bleeding through some signal when activated), and I've never really been that happy with it after using it for a while, so now I want a new tuner. I'm currently in a toss-up between:

- Boss TU-3 (bulletproof, has a buffer, but only +/- 1cent accuracy)
- TC Polytune 3 (selectable buffer/true bypass, +/- 0.1cent in strobe mode, maybe questionable TC quality/CS)
- Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 (true bypass only, true solid state strobe tuner with +/- 0.02 cent accuracy, $30 more than the other two)

Anyone have any experience with multiple of these, or really love one and would like to weigh in? They all seem to have their pluses and minuses, but given that my playing is all at home right now, the accuracy of the Turbo Tuner is mighty attractive compared to the more gigging-friendly features of the other two.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have 4 pedals currently sitting in rice at home because I accidentally left them in the back of my truck overnight and it rained. :(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You mean you aren't gonna take advantage of that Tone Rain?

(that sucks, hope they survive)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey Bhabi (or anyone else) what would be your thoughts on using a Faux SHO circuit as a volume control? Loving my Hyperion clone but the lack of volume boost gets to me (it seems passive so only cuts).

I was thinking of instead of running from C5 (last component) straight to the volume pot I would run it into the in of a Faux SHO. But I'm not sure how to go about getting it to run from like nothing to the boost without having a second knob (Hyperion volume, SHO volume). Any ideas?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Schpyder posted:

So my Pitchblack Poly is failing after a minor cord yank (bleeding through some signal when activated), and I've never really been that happy with it after using it for a while, so now I want a new tuner. I'm currently in a toss-up between:

- Boss TU-3 (bulletproof, has a buffer, but only +/- 1cent accuracy)
- TC Polytune 3 (selectable buffer/true bypass, +/- 0.1cent in strobe mode, maybe questionable TC quality/CS)
- Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 (true bypass only, true solid state strobe tuner with +/- 0.02 cent accuracy, $30 more than the other two)

Anyone have any experience with multiple of these, or really love one and would like to weigh in? They all seem to have their pluses and minuses, but given that my playing is all at home right now, the accuracy of the Turbo Tuner is mighty attractive compared to the more gigging-friendly features of the other two.
I've had a Turbo Tuner for the past uh. six years? seven years? longer? and it's a tank. And yes you can do setups with it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I've use the same Boss TU-2 for 7ish years, all over the drat country and it's still kickin, I like it better than the TU-3 to be honest.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sure sure I know. I’m the kind of pathetic gearslut who researches things for a hundred hours before buying. It’s just funny how I always gravitate to the analog stuff whether I know it or not. And with delays I know it doesn’t even matter THAT much. Maybe.

Wampler builds great gear but I’m thinking that I definitely prefer the dark, bouncy, chewy (lol) sound from BBDs vs the pt2399 clearer, white noisier delay. The latter is absolute not bad but it hasn’t been an oh poo poo I need this on my board kind of deal.

I keep hearing that the deluxe sounds more anemic and different from the original CC and I can’t tell if that’s guitarist bullshit or true :(

I haven’t played the CC deluxe but the original carbon copy sounds different at each point in the Time knob, so I was wondering how the ccdeluxe with its extended delay time could possibly sound the same.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

massive spider posted:

I haven’t played the CC deluxe but the original carbon copy sounds different at each point in the Time knob, so I was wondering how the ccdeluxe with its extended delay time could possibly sound the same.

You know, I’m not sure if I’ve ever noticed that. What kind of difference should I expect with the longer times on the deluxe?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey Bhabi (or anyone else) what would be your thoughts on using a Faux SHO circuit as a volume control? Loving my Hyperion clone but the lack of volume boost gets to me (it seems passive so only cuts).

I was thinking of instead of running from C5 (last component) straight to the volume pot I would run it into the in of a Faux SHO. But I'm not sure how to go about getting it to run from like nothing to the boost without having a second knob (Hyperion volume, SHO volume). Any ideas?

Unless you want to have a knob that acts as a pre-SHO volume knob, you only need the SHO's knob. I may be misunderstanding your question.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Does the SHO cut any low end? I'd like to try one with bass.

I'm really digging the Idiotbox Han-Taun. It's a nice Klon-style overdrive for a very reasonable price.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still need to assemble my klon clone kit I bought for $40 but last weekend I was all wrapped up in beer bottling and cleaning stuff and this weekend I have the flu :rip:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juaguocio posted:

Does the SHO cut any low end? I'd like to try one with bass.

I'm really digging the Idiotbox Han-Taun. It's a nice Klon-style overdrive for a very reasonable price.

Nope. It’s got a high pass C-R passive filter that cuts off at 3Hz based on my calculations so bass should be good. 😁

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Unless you want to have a knob that acts as a pre-SHO volume knob, you only need the SHO's knob. I may be misunderstanding your question.

Ah cool! I was under the impression that with the circuit the lowest volume the SHO goes to is unity, not zero. But that's awesome, you've made me a happy girl ;)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Ah cool! I was under the impression that with the circuit the lowest volume the SHO goes to is unity, not zero. But that's awesome, you've made me a happy girl ;)

Sorry, yes that is correct. It's a gain knob not a volume knob (duh, I feel dumb). A common mod to make to the SHO is to add a master volume. In your case I might make the gain a trimmer (I'm assuming you'll have a sweet spot that you won't often change) and then make the master volume mod pot on the SHO your volume knob.

Replace R5 with a 100k pot and replace R4 with a 5k trimmer:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Awesome, thanks! Now I just need time and money to make the drat thing. It will happen though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

You know, I’m not sure if I’ve ever noticed that. What kind of difference should I expect with the longer times on the deluxe?

Well with an analog delay the longer delay times are darker than the shorter ones. With the ccdeluxe delay circuit that doubles the available time though that might explain why it would sound a little different. You cant just make an analog delay exactly the same +but more time unless you wanted the longer repeats to sound like complete mush, they would have to have added an extra series of BBD chips that would change the way the circuit works.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 25, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

pathetic gearslut

hell of a username

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

NonzeroCircle posted:

You mean you aren't gonna take advantage of that Tone Rain?

(that sucks, hope they survive)

I tested the pedals with batteries and they seem to work fine. Still haven’t felt bold enough to try out the power supply yet. I’m pretty sure the tone rain has ruined it. Oh well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I am part of a local music selling/trading group on FB and I just saw a Boss PH-2 for $40, lightly used. I don't see these for sale new anymore, were they discontinued? I am collecting pedals for my synths/guitar and was wondering if this was a good deal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrSargent posted:

I am part of a local music selling/trading group on FB and I just saw a Boss PH-2 for $40, lightly used. I don't see these for sale new anymore, were they discontinued? I am collecting pedals for my synths/guitar and was wondering if this was a good deal.

Yep they were discontinued like 15 years ago. $40 is a good price.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MrSargent posted:

I have one on my board it’s a great phaser.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks guys, swooping it!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Have a few questions about using guitar pedals in between a synth and audio interface. Just want to verify a few things since I am a bit inexperienced when it comes to audio routing.

Right now, I have a 1/4" TRS Cable (balanced) running from the Audio Out (Mono) on my Roland TR-8 into the Line Level input on the back of my Scarlett 18i8. I wanted to add a distortion pedal in between and not thinking about it, I just grabbed a short unbalanced 1/4" and connected the Audio Out to the input of the pedal. Then I connected the balanced cable to the output of the pedal to route into the audio interface. The sounds seems to be just fine but I am wondering if there is an issue with switching from unbalanced to balanced cables in a chain like this?

In addition, is there a reason why I should be running my instruments like the TR-8 and Minilogue through the front inputs that have preamps and gain control? Or is using the Line Inputs on the back just fine for this purpose?

Lastly, I am going to replace my 18i8 with an 18i20 pretty soon but I wanted to know if my idea was possible to set up using the 18i20 and Ableton. I typically run my Minilogue through a Chorus and Reverb Pedal, both of which can output in Stereo. I am trying to understand how this would all connect and hopefully someone can confirm the below:

Korg Minilogue -> 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input CH-1 -> Output CH-1 -> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input A&B RV-6 -> Output A&B RV-6-> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Connect to two Line Inputs (5/6 for example) on the audio interface. Then I would need to set up a single Audio Track in Ableton for both channels 5/6 and arm record, correct? I was just wondering if this made sense. This is probably a dumb question, but what happens to the Dry sound of the synth that outputs in Mono when it passes through the pedals outputting in Stereo?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Have a few questions about using guitar pedals in between a synth and audio interface. Just want to verify a few things since I am a bit inexperienced when it comes to audio routing.

Right now, I have a 1/4" TRS Cable (balanced) running from the Audio Out (Mono) on my Roland TR-8 into the Line Level input on the back of my Scarlett 18i8. I wanted to add a distortion pedal in between and not thinking about it, I just grabbed a short unbalanced 1/4" and connected the Audio Out to the input of the pedal. Then I connected the balanced cable to the output of the pedal to route into the audio interface. The sounds seems to be just fine but I am wondering if there is an issue with switching from unbalanced to balanced cables in a chain like this?

In addition, is there a reason why I should be running my instruments like the TR-8 and Minilogue through the front inputs that have preamps and gain control? Or is using the Line Inputs on the back just fine for this purpose?

Lastly, I am going to replace my 18i8 with an 18i20 pretty soon but I wanted to know if my idea was possible to set up using the 18i20 and Ableton. I typically run my Minilogue through a Chorus and Reverb Pedal, both of which can output in Stereo. I am trying to understand how this would all connect and hopefully someone can confirm the below:

Korg Minilogue -> 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input CH-1 -> Output CH-1 -> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input A&B RV-6 -> Output A&B RV-6-> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Connect to two Line Inputs (5/6 for example) on the audio interface. Then I would need to set up a single Audio Track in Ableton for both channels 5/6 and arm record, correct? I was just wondering if this made sense. This is probably a dumb question, but what happens to the Dry sound of the synth that outputs in Mono when it passes through the pedals outputting in Stereo?

Nothing is going to blow up but if you use a trs into the input of a guitar pedal it may not work (the battery switching on pedals relies on a ts jack plug completing a circuit in a trs socket and won't work with a trs. Also whatever signal is coming down the ring is shunted to ground).

RE synth and stereo pedals-almost all guitars are mono so the exact same thing as normal will happen. It depends on the pedal but generally either the effect will move through the stereo field, a very slightly delayed signal will go to one of the outputs, the dry signal will be sent to one output and the wet to the other, or in some cases it's just dual mono out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Nothing is going to blow up but if you use a trs into the input of a guitar pedal it may not work (the battery switching on pedals relies on a ts jack plug completing a circuit in a trs socket and won't work with a trs. Also whatever signal is coming down the ring is shunted to ground).

RE synth and stereo pedals-almost all guitars are mono so the exact same thing as normal will happen. It depends on the pedal but generally either the effect will move through the stereo field, a very slightly delayed signal will go to one of the outputs, the dry signal will be sent to one output and the wet to the other, or in some cases it's just dual mono out.

Thanks a lot for the help! I’m not using a TRS for the input to the pedal, I was using it for the output only to route into the interface line input. It doesn’t seem like this causes an issue but wanted to know what’s going on.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the help! I’m not using a TRS for the input to the pedal, I was using it for the output only to route into the interface line input. It doesn’t seem like this causes an issue but wanted to know what’s going on.

Sweet, basically the ring is left open circuit - it has no connection point inside the guitar pedal on the output (usually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MrSargent posted:

MrSargent posted:

Your terminology here is a bit confusing. All TRS cables can pass a balanced, mono signal if the gear on both sides of the cable has balanced inputs/outputs. If both connections aren't balanced, then the signal isn't balanced, regardless of whether you use a TRS or TS cable. If you're using a TRS cable to send a stereo signal (e.g. a headphone out), the signal will always be unbalanced. TS cables (like a standard instrument cable) only support an unbalanced, mono signal.

I believe your entire signal path from synth to the 18i8's inputs is unbalanced, so mixing in some TS cables will work without issue (and in fact these would be the 'correct' cables to use). Usually using TRS cables with unbalanced gear works fine, the exception being what whiter than a Wilco show mentioned about using TRS cables with battery powered stomp box inputs. Where you can sometimes run into trouble is going from unbalanced output > TRS cable > balanced input, but it doesn't look like that applies to your setup.