Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Snoo posted:

e: oh he drained the fuckin beans. or maybe u could add the liquid it for body and flavor bc if you actually cook it for longer than an hour it won't be 'watery'

I've always been told to drain the beans. Bean juice is bad. For reasons. Maybe poison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've always been told to drain the beans. Bean juice is bad. For reasons. Maybe poison?

The bean juice :tm: is full of sodium and can easily oversalt a dish if you throw it all in.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the tomatoes i use aren't really salty so it balances out, but we like salty anyway

my family always ate saltines with chili but not like dumping an entire loving box in it, just a few to crumble or dip into the chili

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's called aquafaba and you can use those as binding ingredient.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i uh

hm

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

The bean juice is what makes you fart so much!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Metaline posted:

The bean juice is what makes you fart so much!

Does the trick of cooking them with a pinch of baking soda really "take out the farts" though?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my brother went vegetarian for some reason and he eats 1 can of beans every day and i'm like, please..... stop....................

Facebook Aunt posted:

have a sip :grin:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

von Braun posted:

It's called aquafaba and you can use those as binding ingredient.

Specifically garbanzo beans, and you can straight up make meringue with it.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

La Brea Carpet posted:

Does the trick of cooking them with a pinch of baking soda really "take out the farts" though?

Haha what? I’ve never heard that one before

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Specifically garbanzo beans, and you can straight up make meringue with it.

Is it only chickpeas? I know they work, but I heard other bean water (?) work as well in place of egg.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Metaline posted:

Haha what? I’ve never heard that one before

The Charlotte Observer posted:

Q: A friend says I should soak 2 pounds of white beans in water with 1/2 cup of baking soda to get rid of the trouble with gas. I'm concerned about reducing the nutrition. Is this worth doing?

A: The results are mixed on whether adding baking soda, either to the soaking water or while cooking beans, will help. Some people notice a small improvement; other notice no change. Soaking beans in plain water and then changing the water before cooking is just as likely to help.

There is evidence that adding baking soda reduces some nutrients, particularly vitamin B. Baking soda also can make the beans taste saltier or even soapy, so they should be rinsed very well if you use it. Adding baking soda also may affect the texture, making the cooked beans mushy instead of tender.

If you do add baking soda, the amount your friend suggested is too large. Usually, you only use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to a pound of beans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Not great but okay. I’d probably want the butter though, otherwise it’d be quite dry.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Plinkey posted:

I usually eat it on angle hair pasta or rice, if I'm at a diner or something I'll crumble up like 2-3 packs of saltines instead. I thought this was normal.

if that’s how you like it, that’s fine

the implication of that dumb recipe is “gently caress tasting it to see if you want crackers or cheese in your chili tonight, just dump ‘em right in ‘cause I said so!! epic bacon!!” it’s encouraging people who follow the recipe to not make food decisions for themselves, I guess :/

...just don’t put this cheese product in your chili

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It doesnt even contain real americans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

It doesnt even contain real americans.

Real Americans are not shredded

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

I found a recipe for a thick Iranian soup with lentils, chickpeas, haricot beans, noodles and lots of onions, both as a base and caramelised to go on as a garnish.
I put in all the bean water from the cans as I usually do when making soups.

Not surprising but it's basically the perfect fart fuel. It was funny at first but by bedtime I was just wishing it would stop, my god

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I put some chopped celery in my chili, adds a bit of flavor and I like how it keeps some crunchy texture after cooking.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Aquafaba is weird cuz you would think it was a many years old practice but they figured it out in 2015

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Has anyone made a chili aspic?
lol if your chili doesn't look like aspic when chilled, just lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

von Braun posted:

Is it only chickpeas? I know they work, but I heard other bean water (?) work as well in place of egg.

I've only heard of it with chickpeas.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nah it's most kind of legumes, I've done it with the goop from a tin of red kidney beans too

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Did I miss chili chat

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elise the great posted:

Did I miss chili chat

not if you put potatoes in it

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Why would chili have potatoes in it? Did somebody slip and knock a potato off the shelf into the pot? What a shame

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beans are good in chili and in Chinese a potato is called a dirt bean, therefore potatoes go in chili.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Beans are good in chili and in Chinese a potato is called a dirt bean, therefore potatoes go in chili.

If you put two pieces of bread in a bowl of chili is it a sandwich

If you put chili on a slice of bread is it a pizza

If you roll up a bread and chili pizza is it a calzone or a sandwich first, or does it pass through being a taco before it gets there

Chili dogs fit in here somewhere I just know it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone post the pic of the escaped chili again(or better yet link the original post)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Somfin posted:

If you put two pieces of bread in a bowl of chili is it a sandwich

If you put chili on a slice of bread is it a pizza

If you roll up a bread and chili pizza is it a calzone or a sandwich first, or does it pass through being a taco before it gets there

no

yes if you also put cheese on it

calzones and tacos are types of of sandwiches

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Watch out, Elise's chili recipe is... unique.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Why not?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

And if you search for 土豆, you find this:

Which is probably delicious, but looks like a silkworm orgy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mymla posted:

Why not?

a sandwich is a free standing form of food to be consumed entirely. bowls are inedible.

if you put that chili in a bread bowl though....

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Malay deep fried beef lungs soaked in homemade chili paste 😋😋😋

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RoeCocoa posted:

And if you search for 土豆, you find this:

Which is probably delicious, but looks like a silkworm orgy.

what the gently caress

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

If your chili recipe doesn't actually have any actual chilies in it, its just a meat stew.

also corn in chili is gross

Also just meat stew if it has beans

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

And in French potato is "ground apple" therefore apples also go in chilli.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

a sandwich is a free standing form of food to be consumed entirely. bowls are inedible.

if you put that chili in a bread bowl though....

So if you put a sandwich in a bowl, it is no longer a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mymla posted:

So if you put a sandwich in a bowl, it is no longer a sandwich.

A sandwich inside an inedible bowl is not a sandwich, no.

That's like asking if a turkey in the oven is a sandwich