Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I'll take one, where should I paypal to cover the shipping and stuff?

No need for payment! PM an address to send it to and I'll pop it in the mail tomorrow.

Who wants the last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

So I take it that Australian cod is about as close to cod as Australian salmon is to salmon?

Are you experienced with baitcasters?

edit: Oh, and only two dick spoons left. Claim yours now!

You'd be correct, they're a freshwater perch that looks like a grouper:

I have very little experience with baitcasters, I've used overhead surfcasting reels however and the principles of are similar. I'll stick to using surface lures to begin with because there's less chance of them getting snagged if I gently caress up a cast.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
So an Australian cod is a perch that looks a grouper. Riiight, that makes sense.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:psyduck: I don't know if the cod or the salmon is the less accurately named fish. English colonists were poo poo at marine biology in even a relative way.

... how's it taste?

:siren:ALL DICK SPOONS HAVE BEEN CLAIMED!:siren:

Thanks for the interest, SA fishing community! I look forward to pics of the many fish that chomp these dicks. I'll probably order more after the Chinese New Year holidays if anybody missed out. PM me if you're interested, but know that it'll probably be a while before you receive it.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I didn't fish for two weeks due to lovely weather and flooding, and then when I went out today with everything like a foot high at least, I took my first skunk on a trout stream since like 2015, so no pics of fish here. Sorry! On the up side, I did probably have the best trout-month of my life in January, and I got a 2wt for Christmas that I can blue line with in spring.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

:psyduck: I don't know if the cod or the salmon is the less accurately named fish. English colonists were poo poo at marine biology in even a relative way.

... how's it taste?

:siren:ALL DICK SPOONS HAVE BEEN CLAIMED!:siren:

Thanks for the interest, SA fishing community! I look forward to pics of the many fish that chomp these dicks. I'll probably order more after the Chinese New Year holidays if anybody missed out. PM me if you're interested, but know that it'll probably be a while before you receive it.

Apparently the taste OK, most people release them these days because they are critically endangered. There used to be heaps of them but the settlers over fished them, and removed the submerged timber the cod live in to make the rivers navigable by steamships. The construction of dams and locks have interrupted their migration patterns, affected breeding success, caused cold water pollution and contributed to anoxic black water events. The introduction of carp has resulted in muddy water which the cod find harder to hunt in.

In the past 30 or so years there has been a huge breeding and re-stocking program combined with efforts to improve the health of the rivers, building fish ladders around the dams and locks to allow migration and a change in attitudes of fishermen has seen them recover considerably and they're a reasonably common catch for people who know what they're doing. You can still buy them at fish shops but those have come from aquaculture rather than wild caught.

joem83 posted:

So an Australian cod is a perch that looks a grouper. Riiight, that makes sense.
Yeah, the English have quite a lot to answer for.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That actually looks like an Atlantic salmon head jammed on a grouper body. Wtf

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Picked up a Zimmerbuilt tenkara guide sling, and I quite like it. I've been using an Vedavoo sling for a year or so, and it's been nice, but it doesn't have a good way to keep extra rods. The Zimmerbuilt has the outside pocket and stretchy keepers for four rods - I've got three (two tenkararodco rods and suntech kurenai) loaded up in the photo.

I also tried it out with some of my longer collapsed rods - the nissin kyogi and kurenai long, both about 4' collapsed, and they feel pretty secure, but they jut up high enough that any brushy hiking would be a pain. I'll actually try it out when we get some green here in May.

It's a left-shoulder sling, which is nice. I never understood why so many of the flyfishing slings out there sit on the right shoulder. Sliding it around presents the long zippers of the two pockets, a smaller one for fly boxes, lines, etc. and a larger one big enough for a spare jacket and a lunch bag.

I'm also considering another rod, probably the Daiwa Expert LT H44:

http://www.tenkarabum.com/daiwa-expert-tenkara.html

I do a lot of fixed line bass fishing, and I love those Daiwa floating tenkara lines, so it seems a great fit. Anyone here have experience with these rods, or the lighter LL models?

EDIT: ordered it from tenkarabum. I guess we'll see.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 15, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Picked up a Zimmerbuilt tenkara guide sling, and I quite like it. I've been using an Vedavoo sling for a year or so, and it's been nice, but it doesn't have a good way to keep extra rods. The Zimmerbuilt has the outside pocket and stretchy keepers for four rods - I've got three (two tenkararodco rods and suntech kurenai) loaded up in the photo.

I also tried it out with some of my longer collapsed rods - the nissin kyogi and kurenai long, both about 4' collapsed, and they feel pretty secure, but they jut up high enough that any brushy hiking would be a pain. I'll actually try it out when we get some green here in May.

It's a left-shoulder sling, which is nice. I never understood why so many of the flyfishing slings out there sit on the right shoulder. Sliding it around presents the long zippers of the two pockets, a smaller one for fly boxes, lines, etc. and a larger one big enough for a spare jacket and a lunch bag.

I do a lot of fixed line bass fishing, and I love those Daiwa floating tenkara lines, so it seems a great fit. Anyone here have experience with these rods, or the lighter LL models?

That's a sweet lookin' bag. I bought a tenkara rod a while back, one day I'll try to catch a fish on it. I brought it with me to the Sierras last year, but the water was high and super fast which made the fishing hard.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I’ve got the Sling Lite, and I really like it, but I wish I’d gone for the full sized Guide Sling in retrospect. I ordered one of Zimmerbuilt’s rod quivers that should be here today.

That Daiwa rod looks like a champ. I’ve done well with largemouth on a Wisco II and long line with Muddy Buddies and large yarn bodied kebari (TenBum’s Keeper Kebari pattern).

I got to spend a little time on the spillway yesterday, throwing micro-spoons on my Riverworks ZX2, picked up a couple small stockers on a super windy day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wind hosed up my whole weekend and tides weren't low enough for clams. I guess I can't change the fact that it's February.

I want to see some ice fishing pics. Are you guys up north getting out at all?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve got the Sling Lite, and I really like it, but I wish I’d gone for the full sized Guide Sling in retrospect. I ordered one of Zimmerbuilt’s rod quivers that should be here today.

That Daiwa rod looks like a champ. I’ve done well with largemouth on a Wisco II and long line with Muddy Buddies and large yarn bodied kebari (TenBum’s Keeper Kebari pattern).

I've gotten a lot of bass on both my nissin kyogi carp rod and my tenkararodco owyhee. The extra length on the kyogi is nice for flatwater. I've got a lot of luck with poppers and topwater foam frog and mouse patterns, and sometimes big elkhair caddis.

That Daiwa rod should be here today, but everything up here is still iced over, so I'll have to wait a while to try it out beyond backyard casting.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It got here!

(photograph and inspection assisted by cat)

The rod is really beautiful, a step above even the Suntech Kurenai in finish. It's also freaky light for such a long rod (14'5", which is apparently 14.5 shaku, an old Japanese measurement still used for stuff like swords and tenkara rods, or just 440 cm), 3.7 ounces. It feels lighter and better balanced than the Owyhee, while also being a foot and a half longer. I can't wait to get some real time on the water with this thing.

Also, it's got that galaxy sparkle ring where the rod joins the cork handle, and the pretty burgundy sparkly X45 logo. It's a very dapper rod indeed :monocle:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 20, 2018

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
I do mostly city lake fishing, just stared up again recently after not regularly going for nearly a decade. Somehow pulled the largest channel cat I've found in some time out of a very tiny lake in AZ.

Unfortunately didn't have my scale, and it was a bit muddy from me trying to grab onto it since his neck quite a bit larger than my grip. Trying to wrestle it on my own and take a pic was all I could muster.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Selious posted:

I do mostly city lake fishing, just stared up again recently after not regularly going for nearly a decade. Somehow pulled the largest channel cat I've found in some time out of a very tiny lake in AZ.

Unfortunately didn't have my scale, and it was a bit muddy from me trying to grab onto it since his neck quite a bit larger than my grip. Trying to wrestle it on my own and take a pic was all I could muster.

Nice channel cat! What did you catch it on? Also, welcome back to fishing! Where in AZ are you fishing, the part that's sorta like Colorado or the desert nightmare hellscape?

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Nice channel cat! What did you catch it on? Also, welcome back to fishing! Where in AZ are you fishing, the part that's sorta like Colorado or the desert nightmare hellscape?

For catfish I mostly use raw meat trimmings, the fatty bits I cut off before preparing to cook. In this case I think it was fatty pork bits from some carnitas the other week on a circle hook sitting on the bottom.

I fish mostly in the desert hellscape, the city stocked lakes. They stock trout in the winter, cats in the summer.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Selious posted:

For catfish I mostly use raw meat trimmings, the fatty bits I cut off before preparing to cook. In this case I think it was fatty pork bits from some carnitas the other week on a circle hook sitting on the bottom.

I fish mostly in the desert hellscape, the city stocked lakes. They stock trout in the winter, cats in the summer.

Awesome. I don't know how anybody does anything in Arizona during the summer. My local city lake is being stocked with 10k+ keepable rainbows next month and I'm building my garbage can smoker now.

Also I ordered a 9' 3-4 fly rod because I'm a loving idiot.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

The only thing 'Zonies do in the summer is flood my town and clog my freeways!!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Also I ordered a 9' 3-4 fly rod because I'm a loving champ and will slay trout/bass with that motherfucker.

FTFY.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:glomp:

Thanks man. This has felt like the longest winter and I'm ready to catch some loving fish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Guess what just showed up in the mail

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:bisonyes:

It begins.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm on a pack-buying spree, apparently. Here's a Yonah minimalist tenkara pack, with a flybox, two lines, a spool of 5x tippet, and my Daiwa Expert LT H44.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

It's been two weeks since Selious posted that monster catfish, and there have been no more fish posted in this thread. I haven't had much luck lately, and work has kept me from enjoying the beautiful Florida weather we've been having, so here are some fish from late December/February until I can go out and try to catch some more.

My last trip on the kayak of 2017 landed me about ten trout and a dozen ladyfish (and a hardhead catfish and a puffer that bit off my baits) The only non-snapchat picture I have is this when it started to slow down, for a while I was getting a hit on every cast. I had one keeper in the lot (not this fish), it was pretty tasty!

Anybody have a thought as to what this is? Black drum? Black bass? Caught at the Skyway pier. I think I've posted one before that I thought was a type of grouper but I don't think that's correct for either fish.

A tiny grunt that ate a small piece of squid one night at the Skyway pier.

My first keeper sheepshead! Caught at Skyway pier on a live shrimp. I caught two of these within a few minutes of each other, but the other was borderline on size so I let it go. I made a spread of mayo, parmesan, and capers, coated the filets and broiled. Tastiest fish I've ever caught.

Puffer I foul hooked last month. It was cool watching it self-inflate when I pulled it out of the water. I shook him off the hook (he was barely on), he plopped on to the surface of the water, floated for half a second, then deflated by making a noise like a whoopie cushion and dove under my kayak. I wish I had filmed it, it was funny and adorable.

This year also has also seen me catch my first redfish! It was 17.5 inches long, which is too small to keep. Hit a Paul Brown soft-dine, kinda brown/green color. I was too excited to take a picture :( I need to get back out on the water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Here is a fish.

It is the best pickerel I have gotten all winter. No reasonable bass to speak of year, the freezing winter hosed everything up.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Danthrax posted:

Anybody have a thought as to what this is? Black drum? Black bass? Caught at the Skyway pier. I think I've posted one before that I thought was a type of grouper but I don't think that's correct for either fish.

This year also has also seen me catch my first redfish! It was 17.5 inches long, which is too small to keep. Hit a Paul Brown soft-dine, kinda brown/green color. I was too excited to take a picture :( I need to get back out on the water.

Black drums are goober looking with a pretty unique fin pattern, so I don't think it is a drum. I'm not certain, but my guess is black bass.

Here's a cool photo resource for identifying Florida fish

https://www.floridagofishing.com/species/species-saltwater.html

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I'm on a pack-buying spree, apparently. Here's a Yonah minimalist tenkara pack, with a flybox, two lines, a spool of 5x tippet, and my Daiwa Expert LT H44.

How do you like that pack? I saw them on a Facebook group recently and wondered about them. Look like it’s really well designed.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Florida goons

I’m thinking about camping out at Shell Key Preserve in the near future, would I be good to fish from shore with just my regular medium/light gear? Just shoving a pole in the sand while I get my buzz on?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

TheBizzness posted:

Florida goons

I’m thinking about camping out at Shell Key Preserve in the near future, would I be good to fish from shore with just my regular medium/light gear? Just shoving a pole in the sand while I get my buzz on?

I've never been to Shell Key specifically, but that should work fine. You can also try the Skyway nearby. Usually beginning of the year is good for Spanish mackerel, and they swarm at the Skyway. Not sure if they are still around in March, it's been a long time since I lived on that coast.

Light gear with shiny lures (e.g. gotcha plugs) are good, just be sure to use a tougher leader cause they will cut you off.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Thanks! I’m more looking for something to do while one with nature for a couple of days than finding a spot to fish.

Although the pictures in this thread do make me want to try the Skyway rather than my usual stomping grounds (Pinellas end of Gandy, Weedon Island, and where 4th street turns into 275).

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Although the pictures in this thread do make me want to try the Skyway rather than my usual stomping grounds (Pinellas end of Gandy, Weedon Island, and where 4th street turns into 275).

We must be neighbors because those are my usual areas (plus the Skyway) too!

I've been to Shell Key a few times, but only for hanging out & finding shells. I've seen all sorts of cool critters, lots of different crabs and once a bunch of moon jellyfish. I read that Irma blew open a new pass on the northern end of the island, so maybe the inshore side has some cool fish in it now. I think it's flat and shallow on the Gulf side for a long way out, and that channel between it and Ft DeSoto gets really deep. When the tide comes in the waves can get pretty choppy. From what I've seen boats tend to stay farther out from the shore due to the shallow water so that's probably a good thing? I've never done any surf fishing, though my dad gave/made me some sand spikes for Christmas so I've been meaning to try it out. Let us know how it goes!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You guys are making me want to take a fishing trip to Florida. I'm super jealous of your quarry options, none of which are available to me here. I don't see myself ever leaving the Pacific Northwest permanently, but god drat.

Also:

:stare:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Enigma posted:

Black drums are goober looking with a pretty unique fin pattern, so I don't think it is a drum. I'm not certain, but my guess is black bass.

Here's a cool photo resource for identifying Florida fish

https://www.floridagofishing.com/species/species-saltwater.html

Immature snapper of some sort. Possibly Grey but it’s not in its final colors imo.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LingcodKilla posted:

Immature snapper of some sort. Possibly Grey but it’s not in its final colors imo.

Could be, but I've caught a lot of greys and never seen colors or vertical striping like that photo, though admittedly all in So. Fla. and not Skyway and region can affect color. The teeth are usually a dead giveaway if it's a snapper.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup. I’ve only caught a handful of mangroves so I’m not really an authority on it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Yup. I’ve only caught a handful of mangroves so I’m not really an authority on it.

LCK, if I wanted to buy a crab pot for throwing off of piers, which one should I buy? Costco didn't have the pro-tier ones in stock anymore and I have been burned by lovely collapsibles.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use lovely collapsible so I don’t get sad when they get stolen. They work fine. I’ll take some pictures of my sets tonight.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cool, thanks. Maybe I just needed to reinforce mine with zip ties or something, I don't know. I gave those away so I'll need to pick up 1-2 new ones regardless.

Bottomfishing season opens on Saturday and I am so loving stoked about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We have a season in the sound this year? Reading regs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No need for payment! PM an address to send it to and I'll pop it in the mail tomorrow.

Who wants the last one?

Got it, btw! Thing is awesome, can't wait to surprise my buddies. Thanks!