Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
With a max-level engineer it takes about 10 g5 rolls to completely max out the equipment then adding on the experimental affect takes a few extra resources. Overall it's easier to get -really- good stuff but more expensive than just rolling with a quick fit. Overall imo it's better and leads to some incredibly powerful equipment. Going from G1-4 is a pain though not too bad with maxed level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Go to the Guardian sites. Don't spoil yourself. Figure out the puzzle.

Holy poo poo this is the best content Frontier has delivered in years.

Edit- You might want to take a friend. I almost got killed a few times.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Any equipment I should be sure to bring other than the SRV?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Any equipment I should be sure to bring other than the SRV?

It's all SRV content, but you'll want to bring materials for repairs and re-arming. Synthesizing better ammo might be a good idea if you have the mats.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Helianthus Annuus posted:

There's a finite end to engineering a module now. With enough rolls, you can get the best possible version of the module. It used to be that you had to re-roll a bunch of times, and maybe never get the best possible result.

Also, you can trade easy-to-farm materials for rare ones at new material trader contacts, which should make it easier to roll lots of different engineering modules.

The bad thing: you have to upgrade each individual module all the way from lvl 1 to lvl 5 one-at-a-time. That means more rolls overall, even though requirements for the rolls are easier to come by.

No apparent change to the unlock requirements for each engineer.

The trading thing sounds like it would help for sure.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

FYI this patch hosed up throttling down mid-hyperspace jump. So if you are like me and your throttle down to zero during a jump, when you come out of it, you will be at full throttle, so don't get up to go do something while you wait for the next system to pop in.

I've been able to counter this by throwing it into full reverse instead of my normal zero throttle.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I never rode the type 9 before but people kept mentioning its a cow. Maybe the recent buffs made it handle better because I just bought one and even though its slow as gently caress it still feels way better to control than an asp-e

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I never rode the type 9 before but people kept mentioning its a cow. Maybe the recent buffs made it handle better because I just bought one and even though its slow as gently caress it still feels way better to control than an asp-e

That is because the Asp is terrible. The Type 9 had a very slight mass reduction, so it will handle a little better than previously. But I never had a problem with it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

That is because the Asp is terrible. The Type 9 had a very slight mass reduction, so it will handle a little better than previously. But I never had a problem with it.

I'm liking the Asp Scout as a Road to Riches mule but it is literally my 2nd ship after putting a 2A FSD and surface scanner in my newbie Sidewinder. Everyone says the Asp Explorer is awesome, and I was planning on selling off the Scout for an Explorer once I had the credits to fit one out. I had the credits but I got really drunk and A-fit a Cobra, which I can sell off for now.

Is there a better ship for someone with ~20m credits in liquid/spaceship assets? I didn't sell the Asp Scout so I can go honk a few more Road to Riches runs if I'm right below a useful cutoff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah engineering changes strike me as a clear upgrade to trying to get high rolls and a clear downgrade to “whatever this g5 is fine.” For people who haven’t unlocked engineers, it’s probably solid since you can do double duty of unlocking the rep for higher tiers with leveling the module you want.

Combine this with the material trader and everything is better across the board.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The "Play Galnet News" is actually very cool.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Unless you want to listen to it in another language :smithcloud:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Dopefish (my DBX) is actually now getting over 56LY for a jump range, and I still can squeeze more out of it. I was getting ~51 before.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, the top end on FSD seems a lot better now, especially with the experimental to always have increased fuel use.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rynoto posted:

Yeah, the top end on FSD seems a lot better now, especially with the experimental to always have increased fuel use.

The break point is class 5 FSDs, actually. If you have a 5 or larger, use the mass manager, you'll get more range out of it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Crack train's running again at dav's hope

edit: by that I mean you can use instance scumming to farm firmware from the data point at Dav's Hope. That includes Cracked Industrial Firmware, which is one of the things you need for lvl 5 dirty drives.

How do you actually do this?

I'm at Dav's Hope in my SRV and I found the "Data Point". It starts out as <Inactive> and then goes to <Active> after I target it, but I can't seem to activate my data link scanner on it. It doesn't even start charging. Does this mean it's re-nerfed?

I can scan the other "Comms Log Uplinks" lying around, so it's not like I completely don't know what I'm doing. Just mostly.

Edit: nevermind. I figured out I had to go to turret mode because the target is on a mast that raises above the SRV's normal line-of-site.

JagGator fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crack train's running again at dav's hope

edit: by that I mean you can use instance scumming to farm firmware from the data point at Dav's Hope. That includes Cracked Industrial Firmware, which is one of the things you need for lvl 5 dirty drives.

I use it to farm chem manips for L5 FSDs

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Is this game fun yet?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rynoto posted:

Horizons is the last paid xpac, yeah. They said they're making enough money from the store to release the new seasons for free.

If you hated the game before, you'll probably still hate it now as the underlying formula is still the same besides having at least some reason to wing up and fight the big bad Thargoids.

E: To better answer the question: Beyond is a new season that's also free. So having Horizons means you're all set.

Ok I get it, thanks. But doesn't this mean that people who got the alpha "you're going to get all the xpacs for free!" version got screwed? It was 125$ iirc and buying retail elite + horizons at launch would be like 100$ total :v:

Eldragon posted:

This patch is pretty much when the game transitioned from "poo poo that appeals only to space spergs" to "appeals to normal people".

Its still really grindy, and its still shallow. But a lot of quality of life improvements went in.

So if you enjoy tinkering with your ship outfitting, doing missions with friends, or exploring alien relics, now is a good time to get back in. If you hate those things and are looking for more directed gameplay, look elsewhere.

This is good. I enjoyed the game and played it a lot even when it was really, really terrible (remember when bounty hunting didn't cover ammunition cost? Or missions wouldn't pay for fuel? Yeah I was there) so I am willing to give it another spin, hopefully the qol improvements will be good enough to retain me this time

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'm liking the Asp Scout as a Road to Riches mule but it is literally my 2nd ship after putting a 2A FSD and surface scanner in my newbie Sidewinder. Everyone says the Asp Explorer is awesome, and I was planning on selling off the Scout for an Explorer once I had the credits to fit one out. I had the credits but I got really drunk and A-fit a Cobra, which I can sell off for now.

Is there a better ship for someone with ~20m credits in liquid/spaceship assets? I didn't sell the Asp Scout so I can go honk a few more Road to Riches runs if I'm right below a useful cutoff.

If exploration is what you're after, the DBX is one of the best. It handles great and has one of the best ranges without too much work. People go with the Asp because it has room for a larger scoop, but it doesn't handle nearly as well.
If you want to travel in style, the other option in that range is the Dolphin. It's actually kind of awesome.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

If exploration is what you're after, the DBX is one of the best. It handles great and has one of the best ranges without too much work. People go with the Asp because it has room for a larger scoop, but it doesn't handle nearly as well.
If you want to travel in style, the other option in that range is the Dolphin. It's actually kind of awesome.

Small-frame on the DBX also makes it easier to land and recall than the AspX! It was the best explorer even before it was the best explorer! :sun:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is this the update that has the better planet textures?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I played this game since shortly before Engineers but I figure I'll jump in and gently caress around for a bit, is there a decent guide somewhere to getting started on the Engineers grind?

I seem to recall I had a nearly fully pimped out FDL before I quit playing but from a few quick glances at the Wiki it looks like I might want to trade it in for a ship with military slots now, is the FAS the best mid weight combat ship now?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hm, I lost somewhere between 3-5ly jump range on my DBX after replacing my legacy FSD mod with a maxed out roll on the new one. I would doubt my memory, but I remember typing out my jump range to a friend earlier today on my way back to the bubble. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a bummer. Anyone else have this happen?

E: Also, for anyone curious, it took me 8 or 9 rolls to max it out. I had to build it up from rank 1 because I hosed up and accidentally replaced it with a different mod. Once I got it to rank 5, I rolled 8 or 9 times.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 28, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Do you need thargoid sensors and probes to go get the guardian blueprint stuff?

I tried finding a sensor once and after half an hour of orbiting an ammonia world I said gently caress it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

Go to the Guardian sites. Don't spoil yourself. Figure out the puzzle.

Holy poo poo this is the best content Frontier has delivered in years.

Edit- You might want to take a friend. I almost got killed a few times.
Wait, actual content/gameplay? I might genuinely load up the game and check this out. Sounds like they've figured out how to use Galnet now too so you don't have to exit the game and go ask on the forums in order to find things to do

e:

:frontear: posted:

Missions
Added new Wing Missions that can be shared across a Wing and completed as a group
Mission Depot added where players can accept an applicable mission and deliver the target commodity piece by piece to complete the mission
Mission reward choice
New USS scenarios added
Is any of this new gameplay? i.e. are there any new mission scenarios or are Wing missions just regular missions that can be shared - and what are the Mission Depots/New USS scenarios?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 28, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Depot are just big contracted deliveries or requisitions. You get a contract for like 4m to get a bunch of liquor to a drunkard and then you get to pick between the 4m, 1m but with increased rep gains or 3m and some tier 5 mats for example.

Havent actually tried them in a wing but Im guessing the rewards arent shared between users but the progress is, so they could very well be very good income with 2 or 3 players knocking them out on type 9s, anacondas or cutters

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

beer_war posted:

Is this game fun yet?

It’s the same fundamental game, just refined some more. If you didn’t like it before you won’t like it now.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

The Dopefish (my DBX) is actually now getting over 56LY for a jump range, and I still can squeeze more out of it. I was getting ~51 before.
I thought my rolls were pretty good on my DBX FSD but this is what I got after 4 grade 5 rolls + a mass manager mod:

I'm a little confused by how the new engineering system works, which isn't helped by the fact that the upgrade gauges are in like 3pt font. So when you get an grade of upgrade you immediately get the detrimental effects for that grade and then they just stay at the same values? And then each upgrade increases the beneficial effect logarithmically? How can you tell when you're maxed or does it always increase, the increases just become so small you can't see them?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It appears there are a few bugs you folks might want to know about :
-Skimmers no longer show any info so you have no way of knowing if they are a mission target of if they are wanted/clean https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/409409-Skimmers-not-showing-status-or-mission-target-designation
-The option to pay off the bounty on your head (that you may have acquired by shooting at a clean skimmer) is bugged and doesn't work https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/409479-URGENT!-Can-t-pay-my-1000cr-galaxy-wide-bounty-at-an-IFR-despite-Notoriety-level-0
-If you use a material trader, your maximum material capacity is dropped to 100 for each material instead of the higher max level for lower tier stuff making it impossible to collect more until you relog https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/409734-Materials-and-Data-limits-changing-to-100-for-all-after-engineering-mats-trading

edit:
it appears that the bug with maximum capacity happens also when modifying modules and possibly other instances of the amount of materials changing https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/409303-Per-Material-storage-limit-resets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFFaYm82CY

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 28, 2018

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I've been jonesing for a Chieftain for so long, but now that 3.0 is here, I just want to build a souped up Type-7, paint it red like a firetruck, and do station rescue missions

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CapnBry posted:

I thought my rolls were pretty good on my DBX FSD but this is what I got after 4 grade 5 rolls + a mass manager mod:

I'm a little confused by how the new engineering system works, which isn't helped by the fact that the upgrade gauges are in like 3pt font. So when you get an grade of upgrade you immediately get the detrimental effects for that grade and then they just stay at the same values? And then each upgrade increases the beneficial effect logarithmically? How can you tell when you're maxed or does it always increase, the increases just become so small you can't see them?

Yes, the negative effects per level are fixed now. The bonus amount is a logarithm to the max for that rank as you've mentioned, though once you get to a certain point (I think 3 rolls?), you can go to the next level instead of capping it out for that level. So instead of rolling dice, it's, "Roll and you know what upgrade you're getting".

Also you can pin a blueprint, which rumor has is "per ship per engineer", not "per engineer globally" (which might be a bug), and then you can apply that upgrade remotely. Any experimental effects would have to be done at the workshop though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do you need thargoid sensors and probes to go get the guardian blueprint stuff?

I tried finding a sensor once and after half an hour of orbiting an ammonia world I said gently caress it.

No, although it might unlock some bonus stuff because apparently at least one guardian obelisk seems to ask for it.

Edit- in case anyone is interested in the tech broker,

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 28, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Yes, the negative effects per level are fixed now. The bonus amount is a logarithm to the max for that rank as you've mentioned, though once you get to a certain point (I think 3 rolls?), you can go to the next level instead of capping it out for that level. So instead of rolling dice, it's, "Roll and you know what upgrade you're getting".

Also you can pin a blueprint, which rumor has is "per ship per engineer", not "per engineer globally" (which might be a bug), and then you can apply that upgrade remotely. Any experimental effects would have to be done at the workshop though.
Ah thanks, that's how it looked when I did my FSD because I was confused when it said that upgrading it would definitely make anything in red worse and it was all red. YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THIS MODULE YOU WILL REGRET THIS

I thought 3 upgrades would max it but there was plenty of circle still left and I was confused about what the upper and lower numbers meant because there's no indication if one is what I have or what I could get or the max if I keep upgrading. Also it was as small as my dick so I could barely make it out in VR. The pinned blueprint thing is confusing as well if it is per ship per engineer because I thought it would be useful to go out and pin the blueprint for multicannons in my exploration ship then come back and switch to my 15ly-jump-range Gunship and upgrade its multicannons, which wouldn't work if it were per ship.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone been to the moons of sol yet to see how they now look? They were already incredible I wonder how good they look now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The pinned recipes are one per engineer, all ranks. You still have to go to the engineer if you want a different recipe or an experimental effect. All modules have experimentals now and they cost materials, but once applied they're there until you choose to remove them.

Each rank does have a maximum that you will eventually reach, although sometimes it takes the piss a bit getting there. The upper, smaller orange number is your current value, the big blue one is the maximum. You can tell you've reached the maximum when the button to generate a modification is replaced with a message saying that you're maxed out. You don't need to fully maximise a rank to move on to the next rank, but I'm not sure what the required level is.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 28, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The new engineering does actually seem a ton better. I like that the random roll game is gone. And geez, the materials traders, while you have to go visit them individually is a bit of work they make everything so simple. I’ve gone to one of each with Inara open and just stocked up on all the g4-5 mats needed.

The remote pinned blueprint thing also makes it a lot easier to upgrade all your ships at one station after zooming around to select the blueprints you want. That’s just rad as hell.

I feel like even the Xbox one x is having some framerate issues when looking around the cockpit in front of one of those new planets. Each moon is now rediculously beautiful and unique in its own right. It’s a resource hog though for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of you have an entry-level Cobra 3 or Imp Courrier build? Saved up a few millions and decided to not go for the Imp Eagle since I actually want to start doing some more exploration on top of kill missions.

I mostly ask because I read the builds on that one site are pretty weird and not worth following at all.

• Locked thread