Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The Kickstarter was raw excitement. You know, you were part of it."

Ah, no, Kev. Palladium Games were the first I cut my teeth on (SDC tastes gritty) over twenty years ago so I'm wise how things roll with Palladium at the helm. This is about what was expected and that's why I didn't back it.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How can you commission models in a medium that isn't compatible with what the manufacturer requires. Holy poo poo. Though I'm surprised they didn't just go to shapeways with their .stl files.

Cassa posted:

President Kevin has given us an obituary for the Robotech debacle.

For new page.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did that Rifts (®®®®®®®®) board game ever launch after the bad moment with the project lead?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the important thing to remember is that had the Robotech game succeeded, Harmony Gold would've profited. So we can all be happy that it failed.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cassa posted:

The comments were “entertaining” to read..

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The beginning very strongly gives off a "we heard Ninja Division was good, but" vibe, which even without following through is kind of lovely. It's like the first draft of this was going to throw them under the bus (again) and not all of it was edited out in revision.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cassa posted:

How can you commission models in a medium that isn't compatible with what the manufacturer requires. Holy poo poo. Though I'm surprised they didn't just go to shapeways with their .stl files.

That's blindingly incompetent. Even for Palladium that's bad. Still, at least they're converting rewards for things that will never exist into stuff that does (backers pay shipping) so backers don't get screwed. Consolation prize, Loren Wiseman has a shot at the license and could do a Battletech spinoff. Could, won't sure, but it's possible now.

This is all beside the important point. When does Harmony Gold's license expire ? America needs Macross Frontier.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
March 14, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Goodbody posted:

March 14, 2021

Please don't let him be replying to me.

OK, that Vietnam game looks like a good value for minis, but

quote:

As a matter of fact, for that reason, we don't have a draft copy of the rules because the designer and I will be going through a thorough refining development process because, you are right, what I have learned after many years about simplifying and streamlining procedures, steps, phases, et cetera, will be our next step after funding.

is a terrible sign.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

mllaneza posted:

That's blindingly incompetent. Even for Palladium that's bad.

I mean yeah they're a "successful" book company, but based on just this Kickstarter's prior updates it's not surprising at all (setting aside I'm pretty sure this information was divulged earlier).

Remember the giant 10k word """update""" where he told everyone no one had arranged fulfillment until the manufacturer asked where to send their first shipment?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 28, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's precisely what I had already figured had gone down, but they needed to come clean with this far, far sooner than they did. There was no way Wave Two was happening without an angel arriving on their doorstep, and holding out for one has probably done irrevocable damage.

Cassa posted:

I remember when all the KS was still going down, I got to hear an industry insider describe Ninja Division as "clownshoes" during GenCon. It stuck with me then, and it'll now stick with me forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did that Rifts (®®®®®®®®) board game ever launch after the bad moment with the project lead?

No. I know some work went gone on further with it after that, but it never relaunched. Things have been silent since as far as I know.

That Old Tree posted:

The beginning very strongly gives off a "we heard Ninja Division was good, but" vibe, which even without following through is kind of lovely. It's like the first draft of this was going to throw them under the bus (again) and not all of it was edited out in revision.

Note that he puts the idea of splitting the KS into two "waves" over on Ninja Division and is like "well we came around to the idea".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mllaneza posted:

Please don't let him be replying to me.

Not only that, Harmony Gold's trademark for Macross doesn't expire until December 26, 2022. So there's gonna be a solid year and a half where they don't have the license but do control the trademark and god only knows what kinda poo poo they're gonna pull then.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

I mean yeah they're a "successful" book company, but based on just this Kickstarter's prior updates it's not surprising at all (setting aside I'm pretty sure this information was divulged earlier).

Ironically, Palladium's private crowdfunding campaigns for books turned out fine; somewhat late, of course, but that should be no surprise at this point.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's funny they mentioned the dimensional weight pricing change because if they delivered their kickstarter on time, it wouldn't have been an issue. The change didn't go into effect until December 29, of 2014. This was also announced June 2014 so it's not like it was unexpected or sudden. Shipping rates change every year too, although not that drastically, so it's another not very apparent error on their part that they try to pass off as unforeseen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't there already a Batman miniatures game? either way, this thing is gonna make a billiondollars

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't there already a Batman miniatures game? either way, this thing is gonna make a billiondollars

Yeah, it's by a Spanish company named Knight Models. http://knightmodels-store.com/en_GB Oddly enough, they're launching a Harry Potter game over Kickstarter in a couple weeks too.

It's the same scale as Knight Model's game, which I think they purposely chose. I don't think it's that much cheaper than buying Knight Model's stuff at stores like the Warstore or Miniature Market. The Knight Model sculpts are also much better, despite some joint and stress point issues like Batgirl's ironically snapping legs. The Gotham City models looked like cheap plastic at Gencon but I assumed that was the prototype and not what this actually is, a cash grab.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cassa posted:

Holy poo poo this is ballsy:

quote:

We know it is not what you expected, but we would like to offer you Wave One rewards in exchange for the unrealized Wave Two rewards – but you will have to pay for shipping.

My favorite comment is the guy who's saying "don't listen to the grumps" but who also says he got his stuff in the first wave.

e: oof, one guy pledged $770 and got nothing.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 28, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo this is ballsy:

My favorite comment is the guy who's saying "don't listen to the grumps" but who also says he got his stuff in the first wave.

e: oof, one guy pledged $770 and got nothing.

My favorite thing is how he wants people not only to pay shipping, but to convert to msrp on wave one poo poo, which is not even remotely kosher. I hope he gets sued into the loving ground.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like people are organizing on Facebook to take legal action.

I honestly hope they do, and I hope they win. My feelings about Kevin aside, publishers need to start being taken to task for this kind of bullshit.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dawgstar posted:

No. I don't think I could describe any kickstarter I've ever seen as 'raw excitement'.

Except maybe the one for the product that sends a warning to your phone if your cat isn't pooping enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Palladium wants me to exchange my wave 2 remaining pledge for RRP wave 1, and then pay $60-100 for shipping that I already paid for, they can go and gently caress themselves. This should be the end of Palladium.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like the most recent comment that's a weird essay that, among other things, wonders why everything's being made in China when it's all the way across the ocean how can that possibly be cost-effective!?!?!

EDIT:

quote:

Also, why is any of this money going to Amazon?

:laffo:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 28, 2018

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, no, Kev. Palladium Games were the first I cut my teeth on (SDC tastes gritty) over twenty years ago so I'm wise how things roll with Palladium at the helm. This is about what was expected and that's why I didn't back it.

I read that as "raw excrement" and was wondering why he was being so honest.

Henker
May 5, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I like the most recent comment that's a weird essay that, among other things, wonders why everything's being made in China when it's all the way across the ocean how can that possibly be cost-effective!?!?!
I looked at that dude's post history and he made more or less the same complaint 3 years ago. He also complained about the boxed set being too expensive in the same post, and seems to be under the impression it would be cheaper if it was made in the US. Because shipping and customs fees are actually the biggest cost of production and not labor.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

EDIT:

:laffo:
To be fair, the manufacturing portion of that account is pure china.txt. We trust a contractor who says they've sourced a manufacturer (lowball bidder). Now they say our files aren't compatible with their (subcontractor's) machinery. We could find a new factory, or we can pay them to resculpt every model over several months. Now they are saying it will cost more than the initial bid due to the high quality of the (poorly molded, ill-fitting) plastic.

Still, their handling of the whole thing is total incompetance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks like people are organizing on Facebook to take legal action.

I honestly hope they do, and I hope they win. My feelings about Kevin aside, publishers need to start being taken to task for this kind of bullshit.

Hahaha, hopefully something will happen with this. It would be pretty great if this huge expensive mess is what finally brings them down. It seemed odd for them to be involved with anything like this when it launched, and boy am I happy I didn't end up backing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No. I know some work went gone on further with it after that, but it never relaunched. Things have been silent since as far as I know.

Well, I hope the guy is doing alright, but man if the Robotech kickstarter didn't make people distrust Palladium projects up to this point, this last update will sure ensure they never fund a successful kickstarter again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I remember when all the KS was still going down, I got to hear an industry insider describe Ninja Division as "clownshoes" during GenCon. It stuck with me then, and it'll now stick with me forever.

That's classy. Say what you will about Relic Knights but if I wanted to, I could buy them. I think they even, gasp, re-release miniatures in a timely fashion which is more than I can say for some.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ninja Division always struck me as being like CMON if CMON put their kickstarter exclusives up for sale post-kickstarter.

Is that an accurate assumption to make

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is by the same company that made the Conan Kickstarter game a few years back, and functions with the exact same game mechanics. I fully backed the Conan game, and have been thoroughly enjoying it ever since I got it, so I'm probably all the way in on this one too.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Conan is real good, and all the minis came out well, just a few hot bath bits (mainly spears) to straighten bent pieces, I'm probably going to pass on Batman just because I don't need another gigantic minis boardgame, but I definitely trust that they can deliver a good game (and in relatively good time, too.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That's classy. Say what you will about Relic Knights but if I wanted to, I could buy them. I think they even, gasp, re-release miniatures in a timely fashion which is more than I can say for some.

Ninja Division has had no shortage of issues with their own Kickstarters. Though the buck ultimately falls at Palladium's doorstep, that doesn't make ND blameless in this fiasco.

The 2nd edition of Relic Knights is currently in a situation where Waves 2 and 3 have been delayed multiple times, and some backers are really frustrated at their inability to get responses re: refunds judging from the comments. Ninja Division had kickstarter issues when they were with CMoN, so people blamed CMoN, they had issues when with Palladium, so people blamed Palladium, and they had issues when they're on their own... well, nobody can blame them for that, can they? Maybe Paizo will continue to ruin their imperfect record, somehow.

I'm not saying the shoe fits, just that there's a squeaking noise for those who pay attention.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

alchahest posted:

Conan is real good, and all the minis came out well, just a few hot bath bits (mainly spears) to straighten bent pieces, I'm probably going to pass on Batman just because I don't need another gigantic minis boardgame, but I definitely trust that they can deliver a good game (and in relatively good time, too.)

To be fair, they were massively bailed out by Asmodee on the Conan game, which I suspect is why they claim to have lost money at retail, as they were paying them back for saving it from being a catastrophe.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

PST posted:

To be fair, they were massively bailed out by Asmodee on the Conan game, which I suspect is why they claim to have lost money at retail, as they were paying them back for saving it from being a catastrophe.

Details? I'm not familiar with this. I backed and got, so I never looked any deeper.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Heads up, in the newest Robotech post Kevin actually instructs backers to send credit card information... through Kickstarter messaging. Yeah, that's totally secure! :shepface:

quote:

5. Send us your credit card info (via Kickstarter Message, or by phone at 734-721-2903) and we will charge you for the shipping cost, or send a PayPal payment to paypal@palladiumbooks.com, then let us know you have sent payment.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

PST posted:

Oh yeah - but I think the biggest part of it is they realised there were fulfillment issues before it became a five year "just one more month" scenario, and they and asmodee worked out a way to bring a great game to market, and to fulfill for all the backers in a timely way. Failing at kickstarter in your first go isn't a surprise or an indicator of future business, how you deal with that failure is. I think Monolith did pretty well in that. I didn't end up getting the big expansions during the campaign, but I did pick up one of them, at retail, a few months ago - which is a great sign.

That said I'm still out on Batman.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm really hoping that's Palladium's business number and not Kevin's actual phone number.

Normally I wouldn't have to ask that, but...well, Kevin.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's an office number. They have offices.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ninja Division has had no shortage of issues with their own Kickstarters. Though the buck ultimately falls at Palladium's doorstep, that doesn't make ND blameless in this fiasco.

The 2nd edition of Relic Knights is currently in a situation where Waves 2 and 3 have been delayed multiple times, and some backers are really frustrated at their inability to get responses re: refunds judging from the comments. Ninja Division had kickstarter issues when they were with CMoN, so people blamed CMoN, they had issues when with Palladium, so people blamed Palladium, and they had issues when they're on their own... well, nobody can blame them for that, can they? Maybe Paizo will continue to ruin their imperfect record, somehow.

I'm not saying the shoe fits, just that there's a squeaking noise for those who pay attention.
I'm personally attached to their sinking ship with the Super Dungeon Explore: Legends campaign from way back. They haven't shipped anything for a few years now and it's getting pretty ominous with the lack of substantial updates. I feel like the company could be on the verge of bankruptcy and they just don't want to tell anyone because of the massive refund rush. They're already taking like 2 months to refund pledges for some people.

Of course I always hold out hope that with the next update (which should be later today), they'll announce a manufacturing and shipping schedule, but it's not looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GaistHeidegger posted:

Heads up, in the newest Robotech post Kevin actually instructs backers to send credit card information... through Kickstarter messaging. Yeah, that's totally secure! :shepface:

I don't think Siembieda knows how computers or anything related to the Internet works.