Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Altered Carbon's mutant power is cliches and announcing a power right before it's needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the mute was so unlikable, i struggled to like even one of the characters, and i was loving surprised that this was in the same universe as moon and by the same loving director too. then i saw the director's filmography after moon, and sure enough there were a bunch of mediocre to middling non sci-fi movies, and then this recent sudden netflix movie set in the moon universe, my guess is he just made a sci-fi version of the poo poo he used to make after moon.

some rear end in a top hat recommended ritual in this thread, and gently caress them, because that movie was so loving retarded. the villain cult was so pointless, their "god" was loving pathetic, a strong deer. the lead characters are all unlikable dicks, and the ending where the lead pile of poo poo so-called "protagonist" gets to leave alive because he can shout loudly. what a pathetic, stupid god, and what and dumb protagonist. gently caress you rear end in a top hat for making me watch this expecting something at least a little good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Has anybody watched Ugly Delicious past the first episode and if so, does it get better? I love every food show like Chef's Table etc but I found the first episode of this one incredibly up its own rear end and a complete jumbled mess. There's like randomly an infomercial joke in the middle of it for some reason.

I really liked it. Except there is no way that loving tuna Tokyo pizza was any good, let alone the best pizza in the world. It looked nasty as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly Delicious is pretty entertaining but it seems like it struggles to find a coherent theme beyond food tourism. Which is fine, but it's kind of all over the place.

One thing I find funny is that Netflix has these shows now like Ugly Delicious and Queer Eye now, that are generally pretty family friendly, but they just drop F bombs all over the place. Like, casual swearing seems like such a silly reason for an MA rating.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Altered Carbon's mutant power is cliches and announcing a power right before it's needed

I loved it in broad strokes; I think they did some cool stuff with the idea that you could stick consciousness in any body, anywhere, in VR, etc. (although I wanted it to meditate longer on whether or not the stack really was the soul, or if every iteration of the person after the first was essentially just an AI program). The stuff that bored me was the rebellion backstory and the crazy sister rivalry bit, I was more interested in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/unwilling detective plotline and the exploration of the universe.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Just finished up the new episodes of The Tick. Way too short but really fun show.

Also, the theme song has a very Danny Elfman Men in Black vibe which I assume is Barry Sonnenfeld’s influence.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of food shows:
Just watched the first episode of Somebody Feed Phil. It was very entertaining. Loved not only the food stuff, but also the way he interacts with other people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Turambar posted:

Speaking of food shows:
Just watched the first episode of Somebody Feed Phil. It was very entertaining. Loved not only the food stuff, but also the way he interacts with other people.

I love Phil. More Phil please.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I felt like he was a way worse over the top wannabe Anthony Bourdain. And no I don’t want to watch him suck noodles in front of his Thai translator.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can't be as gross as watching Andrew Zimmern do it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

I felt like he was a way worse over the top wannabe Anthony Bourdain. And no I don’t want to watch him suck noodles in front of his Thai translator.

You just have no enthusiasm for life like Phil does. You wish you could be Phil.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Blind Rasputin posted:

To hell with you. Bourdain wants to be all like if Lou Reed did it to a cook book and the cook book made a baby, just because he did heroin and hosed up some sole mueniere for pay once.

Phil just wants to dodder around the world like the universal Good Doofy Dad, asking if he can eat things, then doing a face when people say yes.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Braincloud posted:

Just finished up the new episodes of The Tick. Way too short but really fun show.

Also, the theme song has a very Danny Elfman Men in Black vibe which I assume is Barry Sonnenfeld’s influence.

The scene with the argument about whether the Flag 5 had 5 members and a sidekick or 5 members and a mascot had me in stitches

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Derron Brown's new special on Netflix was a fun hour.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Filthy Hans posted:

The scene with the argument about whether the Flag 5 had 5 members and a sidekick or 5 members and a mascot had me in stitches

For me, it was Lint escaping The Terror's capital T-shaped ship in an escaped pod shaped like a serif lowercase t.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paper Kaiju posted:

For me, it was Lint escaping The Terror's capital T-shaped ship in an escaped pod shaped like a serif lowercase t.

That, and when they’re trying to get the Tick off the ship. “SHAKE IT LIKE A BABY!!!:argh:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Seconding Dirty Money Episode two
Why is she Cruella DeVille?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is the incorrect take. I love Bourdain, but in no way is Phil trying to be like him and he never could even if he tried. Phil is way too uncynical in comparison. He is like a new born discovering the foods of world with a joy that Bourdain hasn’t felt since the last time he did hard drugs.

In closing both are great food shows because of completely different things.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

nate fisher posted:

In closing both are great food shows because of completely different things.

Food shows are a land of contrast, then.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

Phil just wants to dodder around the world like the universal Good Doofy Dad, asking if he can eat things, then doing a face when people say yes.

This should be the netflix summary for the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Phil's personality is the type that is incredibly grating and annoying if it comes off as not genuine. But Phil is genuine, you feel that right away within 5 minutes of the first episode. So it's great.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aside from that there’s also I’ll have what Phil’s having, again it’s just Phil country-hopping and eating things.

I find him so genuine and charming.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LadyPictureShow posted:

Aside from that there’s also I’ll have what Phil’s having, again it’s just Phil country-hopping and eating things.

I find him so genuine and charming.

I didn't know this existed. Thanks.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Phil introducing a Japanese family to egg creams as a show of thanks for inviting him into their home was extremely cute.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
300 came to Netflix and it's as dope as ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDpI6Zzy-vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgRv2V_7P4

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone watches The Frankenstein Chronicles? If so, thoughts?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is Colony (Netflix)? I recall watching the first 3 episodes when it aired but it didn't grab me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pahuyuth posted:

How is Colony (Netflix)? I recall watching the first 3 episodes when it aired but it didn't grab me.

I watched the first season on Netflix recently, and quite enjoyed it.

I then watched the second season, and realize that the show goes absolutely nowhere, and I was completely bored to tears by the end. It just sits there spinning its wheels endlessly, the same story week to week. And the child characters are so loving irritating.

I suspect that they really don't have the storyline mapped out like most serialized shows these days. And if they do, the story they've come up with is quite boring.

The only good thing to come out of the show is that Sarah Wayne Callies is not the reason why Lori on The Walking Dead was so irritating. It's just that Lori was so irritating.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like Colony, just don't go into it thinking it's ever going to be about the aliens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Anyone watches The Frankenstein Chronicles? If so, thoughts?

I want to know this too.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Just finished watching Seven Seconds, a crime drama focused on the hit-and-run killing of a black teenager by a cop. It wasn't very good. Some folks that were involved with 'The Killing' (Veena Sud, some producers) are behind this, but it is almost entirely made up of the bad parts of 'The Killing' with none of the good. There were some compelling story ideas, but they all were ultimately disappointing for a variety of reasons. The acting, for instance, was all over the place. It was fun to see Regina King ham it up a bit, the lead detective was the stand-out, and we get a small appearance from Malik Yoba of New York Undercover fame. The cops were all just awful actors. There wasn't much charisma between the investigative pair, either. The story was also hampered by bad dialogue and really stupid decisions by a lot of the characters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cithen posted:

Just finished watching Seven Seconds, a crime drama focused on the hit-and-run killing of a black teenager by a cop. It wasn't very good. Some folks that were involved with 'The Killing' (Veena Sud, some producers) are behind this, but it is almost entirely made up of the bad parts of 'The Killing' with none of the good. There were some compelling story ideas, but they all were ultimately disappointing for a variety of reasons. The acting, for instance, was all over the place. It was fun to see Regina King ham it up a bit, the lead detective was the stand-out, and we get a small appearance from Malik Yoba of New York Undercover fame. The cops were all just awful actors. There wasn't much charisma between the investigative pair, either. The story was also hampered by bad dialogue and really stupid decisions by a lot of the characters.

Ahh, that's disappointing to hear. I was curious about it solely based on the poster:

edit: admittedly a bad tagline. Would've been better with no tagline at all

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 2, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Ahh, that's disappointing to hear. I was curious about it solely based on the poster:

I really wanted some more Regina King Detective poo poo. Southland was cancelled too soon.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I'm 8 or so episodes in and I kind of agree. It still works for me as something to have on in the background but it is unbelievable how stupid the main characters are. This series would've been like 2 episodes long if they actually did their jobs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh hey Wind River is on Netflix already. It's pretty good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m about 20 minutes into “Darren Whatever’s: The Push” and 1. This is trash television at its worst and 2. I think there is going to be a twist at the end in that the experiment was actually on the actors and if that’s not what it is, it should have been. Let’s stay tuned and see if I win a cookie.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 2, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I did not win a cookie. That was the stupidest thing I’ve ever watched and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

It was a social experiment bro!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just finished watching Infinity Chamber on Netflix and I liked it way more than expected. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for a Groundhog-Day-style sci-fi premise, but it's also very reminiscent of The Prisoner in a fun way. There's definitely the potential for fatigue when a movie uses repetition like this one, but I thought it managed to keep me from completely giving up on it and managed a surprisingly satisfying ending. Assuming I'm understanding it right, the ending is debateably an even more depressing version of the ending of Brazil because the bad guys even get the info they needed from him, but it manages to come off as not totally bleak and cynical at least.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 2, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Whoa thread, whoa. Infinity Chamber was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love a good groundhog day knockoff, and I'll definitely check it out but goddamn that poo poo is really the flavor of the moment isn't it?