Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

You have a bunch of wet concrete and you're already going to have to screed it again, entombing that rear end in a top hat in that pad forever is like ten seconds more work.

Eh, he's only screeding it. If the idiot had have walked through after hand stippling murder would be justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

At least they finally did the maths and sent a dummy mass down the line before it could kill someone. Did they "fix" the zip line or dismantle it?

It was discussed, and there was no way to fix it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd like to think they removed the zipline, but left the platform as a monument to man's hubris.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lone Badger posted:

It was discussed, and there was no way to fix it.

Hence the quote marks because people do dumb poo poo and may have thought they could "fix" it. The statements doesn't tell me how it ended but I have to assume they dismantled it if they were responsible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grape posted:

You've never been anywhere near a northern city have you.
The problem with poverty line is that it’s a lovely but livable level in the boonies and guaranteed homelessness in the city.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

TS12 jumped off a bridge which is a rather unsafe act but is probably more NHTSA, DOT, or whoever regulates bridges.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcR9v3CmIio

this dude is amazin

e: here he is making one for the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MRddr8gUwY

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 28, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The CEO of one of the 4 crane operator certification companies (I will neither confirm nor deny if I am employed by this one) did an article on the slow progression of federal certification for crane operators. There's some good information on the situation when it comes to operators actually getting certified, and the background politicking affecting it.

quote:

Around the mid-80s, the talk of operator certification began to increase when the Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association began to explore development of an accredited or formal program. The issue of operator certification really escalated when some serious crane accidents were publicized across the country by the media and it was revealed that crane operators were not required to be certified or licensed. I remember hearing, “Why doesn’t a crane operator have to be certified or licensed when a barber and a hair dresser have to be?”

quote:

Even though there were a few certification programs during the early 90s, an accredited operator certification program was not developed until 1995. Employers began to think more seriously about crane training and certification. Operators began to get certified, even though certification wasn’t required by federal law

Of the 4 companies in the United States, two certify by type and capacity and two certify only by type of crane. A stakeholder meeting was held to address concerns that the two type-only companies would have their certifications invalidated by OSHA thinking about requiring type and capacity certification.

quote:

At the Department of Labor’s stakeholder meeting in early April 2013, participants expressed their views on operators having to be certified by type and capacity. It had become a hot topic that continued to heat up because of the future legality of operators having type-only certifications. Some stakeholders desperately wanted the capacity requirement removed and operators to be certified by type of crane only....In hindsight, I think most participants played into the hands of a couple of powerful entities that used “certification equaling qualification” to get the capacity requirement out of the rule.

quote:

At a meeting in Washington D.C. on March 31, 2015, the revision was presented to the Advisory Committee on Construction safety and Health (ACCSH). There were significant changes from the original rule. Operator certification by type and capacity had been changed to certification only by type. A training requirement and an operator annual evaluation had been added. Certification equaling qualification had been removed. Numerous people, including me, offered opinions of the changes.

At the meeting, someone asked, “How did this happen? Just how did type and capacity get into the rule if it was originally meant for operators to be certified [only] by type of crane?” One person quickly said, “OSHA changed the original language written by C-DAC.”

OSHA quickly squashed the allegation by going to the minutes of the C-DAC meeting and showing that the committee had voted for “type and capacity.” Those at the meeting who were associated with the two testing organizations that issue type-only certifications seemed to agree that somehow “type and capacity of crane” must have mistakenly gotten into the standard.

If it was a mistake it was not just a simple mistake. It was a colossal mistake, given the financial cost, if not lives, and I’m sure embarrassment to some.

quote:

Some equipment, such as telescoping-boom mobile cranes, can have very high capacities. Combine this capacity range with the large number of them in the workplace, plus some people’s perception that they are easy to operate, and it is clear that safety requires that operator of this type of equipment be certified by capacity levels. For example, you would not want an operator who tested on a 25-ton crane certified to operate a 250-ton rig. One reason is that the boom length can be so much longer on larger capacity cranes, and the length of the boom is the main thing that determines the skill needed to control the load and operate a crane safely.

The rule has still not been finalized, and the deadline for compliance was in fact pushed back to November 2018. While inspectors have been shutting down job sites after finding crane operators to not have any sort of certification, there is still no federal law requiring operators to be certified. Enjoy that thought every time you pass by a crane.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

It's me, the old man at the bottom of the screen, pointing at the woman under the truck but not breaking stride.

https://i.imgur.com/jLIKZXZ.gifv

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

TVs Ian posted:

There are a few RiffTrax shorts that might work, Shake Hands with Danger, Live and Learn, and 10 Long Minutes being three I can think of off the top of my head. There may be unriffed versions around (pretty sure Shake Hands with Danger is on YouTube at least), but the riffed ones are cheap enough and also hilarious.

You are correct, sir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26fTGBEi9E

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:qq:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Platystemon posted:

These are really expensive capacitors, charged over long periods of time, and even then, the absolute energy they contain isn’t immense. Nine‐volt batteries can kill under the right conditions, and they don’t contain a great deal of energy either.

9V batteries can be super dangerous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwLHdBTQ7s

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

New Hellraiser looking pretty good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezf5oeP3eRE

:v: "Dude that sucked!"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bad day for Berat there, that is loving tragic.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

lol if you think every kebab hasn't been on the ground at some point

That's what makes them so delicious

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

lol if you think every kebab hasn't been on the ground at some point

That's what makes them so delicious

I was going to say, that's a five minute setback, max. There is no way in hell that meat is going to be disposed of.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A handful got saved:

The FYAD thread snagged a few posts too:

Imagine a child on this hitting the end at sixty. Five. Miles. Per. Hour.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

childmurdering zipline for sale. never used

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

the rarely heard fourth verse of 'Imagine'

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You can't just declare it "child murdering" without using it at least once

(yes, I got the reference)

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
We used to do a zipline about that tall at summer camp when I was a kid. It ended in a lake instead of headfirst into a tree though.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

rndmnmbr posted:

You have a bunch of wet concrete and you're already going to have to screed it again, entombing that rear end in a top hat in that pad forever is like ten seconds more work.

Its fake

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Should have raised the start post a bit higher and seen if they could hit eighty-eight miles per hour.

(The zipline would only be usable in a thunderstorm of course.)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From another thread...

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like that'd be a good way to ruin your polished timber furniture.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Guy I used to work with (in a kitchen (he used to throw knives into the ceiling tiles to see if they stuck)).

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

deoju posted:

From another thread...

Gruesome death

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Semisponge posted:

Gruesome death

I dunno, looks like a clean death to me. :downsrim:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love how a lot of them have sweet feminine names and then there's ..... well, see if you can spot the odd one out:

Millie, Georgia Peach, Isabelle, Gypsy Lady, Elsie, Shania, Incredible Hulk, Christine, Delilah.
Don't forget Bubba...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Question from a person who doesn't deal with OSHA too much: I just saw a contractor at work doing something with ceiling tiles and wearing stilts that were 3+ ft tall. How are stilts covered under OSHA? Is there a maximum height? Are they considered safer than repeated ladder ascents?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

i cant see how this is working

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jenny Agutter posted:

Question from a person who doesn't deal with OSHA too much: I just saw a contractor at work doing something with ceiling tiles and wearing stilts that were 3+ ft tall. How are stilts covered under OSHA? Is there a maximum height? Are they considered safer than repeated ladder ascents?

As far as I can tell there are no rules for them under Federal OSHA construction standards. They're banned across the board in California at least.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You really have to have just the right combination of poo poo go wrong to have a fire at a gas station. I honestly don't believe a cigarette would do it 99.99999999% of the time. I worked at one for four years and we had zero fires during that time, even when someone totalled one of the pumps at like 30 mph. Point is they're in more danger of lung cancer than fire.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

And yet people periodically manage to set themselves/cars/pumps on fire doing it.

At least it makes for good internet videos.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 2, 2018

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It's not the cigarette (too cool to ignite gas anyway), it's the lighter.

Or static electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

"I GOT LUCKY
PLEASE RIDE SAFE"

*Blurs incriminating speedometer