Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Derp, that's what I get for only looking at the "final roster" on Wikipedia and not the IR list.

Grasu isn't a world beater, but if he stays healthy and has good guards beside him he'll be fine.

to be fair Long's certain to miss a ton of time no matter what so it's worth looking at who else can play guard/center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

True, although maybe the new S&C staff can help figure out his injury issues.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Hello Bears,

pls draft Quenton Nelson.

signed,

The Raiders

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Derp, that's what I get for only looking at the "final roster" on Wikipedia and not the IR list.

Grasu isn't a world beater, but if he stays healthy and has good guards beside him he'll be fine.

Yeah, but Whitehair showed all pro ability in his rookie year at center. gently caress Grasu. I know we are losing Sitton, but I really hope this isn't an excuse to just ignore guard and shoe horn Grasu into a starting role he doesn't deserve.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
So here's an interesting post from the Lions subreddit about what the incoming coaching changes could mean for the Lions' offensive scheme:

quote:

Lions offense is being merged into the Erhardt-Perkins system. Air Coryell has left the building.

Some Lions fans were upset when they heard Matt Patricia was retaining Jim Bob Cooter as OC. Many of them assumed it meant Patricia was keeping the same offensive system in place. Additionally, some also felt it was a sign he wasn't ready to be a head coach. While that remains to be seen, it's obvious they have no idea of what's already happening in Detroit on the offensive side of the ball, and happening very quickly.

Before we get into it, we need to start with a little history. Jim Caldwell brought in his version of the Air Coryell system to Detroit. Joe Lombardi was hired as OC after serving as QB coach of the New Orleans Saints, a team that also runs a version of Air Coryell, the most successful version in the NFL.

Similarly, Scott Linehan, the previous OC under Jim Schwartz, runs Air Coryell mostly out of the one back spread formation in what he calls "a constant attack mode", which can be successful when there's a decent RB (Reggie Bush at full health or Ezekiel Elliot) who can hold onto the football, and absolutely dreadful when there's not. There's also the danger of scoring too quickly at the end of games and giving the opposing team multiple chances to come back, not to mention the toll that can put on a defense.

After Caldwell destroyed Detroit's running game, just as he had in Wake Forest, Indianapolis, and Baltimore over the course of his head coaching career, the Lions were sitting at 1-6, and the front office pressured him into firing Lombardi. Caldwell also fired Jeremiah Washburn, the offensive line coach, and Terry Heffernan, the assistant offensive line coach, and replaced them with Ron Prince, the assistant head coach and tight ends coach.

Out of desperation, Caldwell promoted Jim Bob Cooter, the QB coach who had worked with Peyton Manning in both Indianapolis and Denver, to OC. The same week, Detroit traveled to London, England. The sudden midweek promotion and international travel left Cooter little time to prepare. The Lions suffered an embarrassing 10-45 loss to Kansas City and were now sitting at 1-7.

Martha Ford decided it was time to act as the new owner of the team. She fired Mayhew and Lewand and the majority of the front office.

quote:

Earlier today we informed Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew that they have been relieved of their responsibilities with the team. We thank them both for their many years of service to the team and to our family. We are very disappointed with the results of the season so far and believe a change in leadership was necessary.

She hired a consultant who helped her find our current GM, Bob Quinn. She made a public statement that she expected the team to continue competing even though the season was, for all intents and purposes, already over.

quote:

I want to assure our fans we intend to identify and hire the best leadership in order to produce a consistently winning football team. Our fans deserve a winning football team and we will do everything possible to make it a reality. I also want to make clear we have no intention of giving up on the season. We expect our team to compete, improve and win

The Lions went 6-2 the rest of season with Cooter at OC and finished the season with a 7-9 record. One of the 3 losses under Cooter was the Hail Mary game against Green Bay at Ford Field. This could have easily been another win if Caldwell was allowed to challenge the bogus face mask penalty.

The Lions running game continued to struggle in 2016 and the Lions finished with a disappointing 9-7 record and 6-26 wild card playoff loss against the Seahawks. Moving up to 30th from 32nd the year before wasn't the type of change expected by ownership or by the new GM, Bob Quinn. The offense was ranked 20th overall in 2016. The Lions often got off to a slow start to start games, and their rushing attack continued to suffer.

Quinn extended Caldwell's contract, to the dismay of many Lions fans. It was discovered later this extension was only through the end of 2017.

The running game continued to suffer in 2017, falling back to 32nd (and averaging only 76.3 yards/game), but Matt Stafford's efficiency had improved dramatically (he ended the year with a 99.3 rating, the highest of his career) and the overall offense was ranked 7th. The Lions once again finished 9-7, narrowly missing another wildcard playoff spot.

Caldwell was fired at the end of the 2017 season, and Matt Patricia was announced as his replacement following the Super Bowl.

Many changes to the coaching staff have since been announced and they signify a big change to the Lions offense, even though Jim Bob Cooter remains as OC.

With the signings of Jeff Davidson as offensive line coach and George Godsey as QB coach, it's clear Patricia's intention is to implement the Erhardt-Perkins system. Jim Bob Cooter's new job will be taking the successful parts of the Air Coryell offense the team has been running and merging those concepts into Erhardt-Perkins.

This helps explain the response Patricia gave when asked if Jim Bob Cooter would remain as OC-

quote:

I’m Italian, so one word answers are a little difficult for me. Jim Bob is on staff and he will be here. Obviously, he’s done a great job with what he’s been able to accomplish with Stafford and the offense. He’s someone who has worked with a lot of guys I’ve worked with in the past, somebody everyone speaks highly of. I have a lot of respect for him being on the other side of the ball going against him. Look forward to working together.
What does this transition mean for the Lions?

quote:

There are essentially three main offensive “systems” in the NFL: West Coast, Coryell, and Erhardt-Perkins. Given that every NFL team runs basically the same plays, each of these NFL offensive families is differentiated mostly by how those plays are communicated.

quote:

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The biggest advantage of the concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense: the quarterback. In other systems, even if the underlying principles are the exact same, the play and its name might be very different. Rather than juggling all this information in real time, an Erhardt-Perkins quarterback only has to read a given arrangement of receivers. “You can cut down on the plays and get different looks from your formations and who’s in them. It’s easier for the players to learn. It’s easier for the quarterback to learn,” former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said back in 2000. “You get different looks without changing his reads. You don’t need an open-ended number of plays.”

quote:

This simplicity is one of the reasons coaches around the league have been gravitating to the Erhardt-Perkins approach. “Concepts benefit you because you can plug different guys into different formations, into different personnel groups, and if they understand the concept, it gives you more flexibility,” Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter recently explained. “The number system restricts you because it doesn’t allow you to cover all the combinations you want to use, so you have to get into so many tags that eventually you’re calling everybody’s route. In route concepts, one word can describe anything. In my experience, most kids can visualize one-word concepts better.”

Read the entire article if you want it broken down further.http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

In essence, we will be able to run the same passing plays out of any formation. We will be able to disguise plays much better. We will be able to run no-huddle more efficiently. We will be able to audible more effectively.

The Patriots are able to change what they do every single week to adapt to opposing defenses because of the flexibility Erhardt-Perkins gives. This is how they can run the ball 40 times one week and 5 times the next without missing a beat.

An example of how effective Erhardt-Perkins is from /u/skeptical_views

quote:

One of the greatest things about the Pats is they basically only run about 10-15 major passing concepts and 3-4 run concepts per game (outside of the red zone). They keep it simple and use tried and true concepts that beat the coverages they believe they're likely to face. For example the Seahawks run Cover 3 Press almost exclusively. The Pats attacked them with Y-Sail, a standard Cover 3 beater, all drat game long or so it seemed. The Pats ran it with two back sets, empty sets, single back sets and Trips sets. It was a thing of beauty to watch and a great example of how this offense works.

/r/nfl/comments/6k8rka/the_erhardt_perkins_system_explained/djku5e8/

Here's some further reading-https://www.bigblueview.com/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

If it's true, it could be interesting to see how the Lions adapt to a new offensive system, and how much of a disaster it's going to turn out to be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZ3WVdBEBw

"It's like Christmas every day"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

surprised more draft sites aren't listing OT as a need for the packers

I guess people are confident we have the technology to fit Bulaga with bionic knees

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

surprised more draft sites aren't listing OT as a need for the packers

I guess people are confident we have the technology to fit Bulaga with bionic knees

I have very little confidence in Bulaga's future but I think part of it is that Campen is a really good coach and the Packers have consistently shown an ability to bring up replacement players to perform on the line. This gets overshadowed by how when the line gets injured, every single person on that line gets injured. Although Spriggs really hasn't shown too much yet.

CB in free agency, pass rusher in the 1st, tight end in the second, then OL and WR, and this team is set. I really hope we don't draft secondary in the first, this team already has plenty of young players who are developing, and most corners (Lattimore aside) need 2 or 3 seasons to fully develop into a starter. Picking up a veteran to hold down the fort while King/Randall/Jones work on their game would be great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
OL isn't really a problem when you don't need to worry about holding calls.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol I didn't realize the wet river of tears about holding continued into the offseason

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VJeff posted:

OL isn't really a problem when you don't need to worry about holding calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKzcfrriEME

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol I didn't realize the wet river of tears about holding continued into the offseason

You guys set em up, I tap em in. :v:

Oh wait, that's hockey.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Very informative, thanks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

You guys set em up, I tap em in. :v:

Oh wait, that's hockey.

So how's Ken Holland these days? :allears:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Very informative, thanks

Seconded

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

iospace posted:

So how's Ken Holland these days? :allears:

Really loving amazingly bad, but hey at least I have a team.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-02-27-it-will-be-one-of-the-last-things-the-vikings-pack-up-from-winter-park/

One of the last things the Vikings are moving from Winter Park to their new training facility is Korey Stringer's locker. They put plexiglass on it but otherwise have left it untouched since he last used it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
oh yeah i forgot the vikings killed a dude

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MattForte22/status/968893791678722048?s=19

:unsmith:

Favorite Bear not on the Superbowl losing team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

Really loving amazingly bad, but hey at least I have a team.

I will forever blame Bill Wirtz for that and I will carry it to my grave.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

iospace posted:

I will forever blame Bill Wirtz for that and I will carry it to my grave.

Hey, you finally have something to bond with the Chicagoans in this thread over, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

Hey, you finally have something to bond with the Chicagoans in this thread over, though.

That is true!

And our combined laughing at the Wings under Holland at this moment.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/MattForte22/status/968893791678722048?s=19

:unsmith:

Favorite Bear not on the Superbowl losing team.

Forte single-handedly gave a win to Tim Tebow. That's how I'll always remember him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

warcrimes posted:

Forte single-handedly gave a win to Tim Tebow. That's how I'll always remember him.

Was that the Bears-Broncos game where Marion Barber slid out of bounds?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

warcrimes posted:

that was barber, not forte

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Was that the Bears-Broncos game where Marion Barber slid out of bounds?

Apparently all Bears running backs look the same to this guy. :colbert:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’ll always remember Matt Forte for that time he interrupted Taylor Swift and also for being our first black president.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Sataere posted:

Apparently all Bears running backs look the same to this guy. :colbert:

Lol I could have sworn it was Forte, my bad

e: or Gayle Sayers

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ll always remember Matt Forte for that time he interrupted Taylor Swift and also for being our first black president.

He was a great Black Panther though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That wasn't him, that was Julius Peppers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love going to a WWE show and seeing the New Day with my favorite wrestlers, Matt Forte, Matt Forte and Matt Forte.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Matt Forte is the second-leading rusher in Bears history behind Walter Payton, which is a serious honor. I heard something on the ATN podcast that Forte has the most yards from scrimmage of any running back during the exact seasons he was in the league, beating out some big names in the process. Hell, he had some amazing runs for the Jets just this past season. It's cool to see a guy succeed on that level for such a long time and then bow out right at the perfect time. Good job my man

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

matt forte loving ruled

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It sure seems like the Chicago media suddenly realized Ryan Pace is a bad GM this week. Think I've seen a dozen articles talking about him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

It sure seems like the Chicago media suddenly realized Ryan Pace is a bad GM this week. Think I've seen a dozen articles talking about him.

bad is harsh.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Niwrad posted:

He is really bad at getting players for value. He gave up a bunch of picks to get Trubisky at 2, who he probably could have got for free at 3.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

He is really bad at getting players for value. He gave up a bunch of picks to get Trubisky at 2, who he probably could have got for free at 3.

a bunch or one?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

warcrimes posted:

a bunch or one?

It was a 3rd and 4th round pick plus a 3rd round pick from this years draft. Plus the #3 pick of course.

That isn't even one of the worse things Pace has done. Trubisky might work out. He cut Robbie Gould to get cap space, and the Bears haven't had a decent kicker since. His first draft pick was Kevin White, who not only missed his whole rookie season due to an injury he had prior to being drafted, he hasn't really done anything since. And don't get me started on Glennon's contract.

He made some decent free agent signings, so it isn't all doom and gloom, but a lot of his big moves have been bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
pace really seems like one step forward, one step back. tons of free agents who usually do ok, then they're gone and...back to where we were. Is Prince Amukumura his best remaining fa signing? The team got younger, sure, but not any better and we're back to early Cutler era with a potentially good qb, no wrs (although I like Inman and wright they sure aren't alshon or Marshall) and no offensive tackles

edit:
going through the roster here's the list of free agent acquisitions still on the team that aren't special teamers. put in the AV score from pro football reference for the heck of it
Bobby Massie, RT (6)
Akiem Hicks, DE (10)
Mitch Uhrein, DE (8)
Sam Acho, LB (6)
Danny Trevathan, LB (7)
Prince Amukumura, CB (5)

i guess that's not horrible but other than Hicks I don't think any of these guys have really been that impressive. it's a bad team with a lot of holes, Hicks is the only guy I wouldn't say is just league average

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 2, 2018

• Locked thread