Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Also supposedly SA basically paid for Pakistani nukes anyways and has dibs on a few. Along with a Division if things go sideways.

But that was in the 70s-80s so maybe not anymore.

Edit: apparently as recently as 2015 it was considered to be an open secret that the Saudis have an option to grab 5-6 warheads from Pakistan and mount them on missiles already deployed near Riyadh.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Makes sense, given that Saudi Arabia was one of the few countries that propped up Pakistan at the turn of the century, following their nuclear weapons tests.

And the fact that Saudi Arabia funneled money and arms through Pakistan to fund the Taliban.

And the fact that Saudi Arabia continues to fund madrassahs and mosques in Pakistan.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

freeasinbeer posted:

Also supposedly SA basically paid for Pakistani nukes anyways

Man these forums used to be way cooler

Sinteres posted:

Probably safer than Pakistan.

And India. And Israel.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

You'd have to wonder who would actually go help set up centrifuges in KSA. I'd bet even Russia or China wouldn't want to destabilize things further, let alone Euopean powers. Pakistan would really drive Iran toward India and don't think they could accept the liability (recently there was some press about Pakistan refusing to help with Yemen, which I think is bellwether). Israel or America under Trump OTOH...?? Especially for Israel, it'd make sense to paint a target on KSA's back all the while KSA thinks it's a huge favor.

I imagine an entire technical workforce would need to also be brought in for operation, not just a few experts to train Saudis. Maybe Al Sadr as a better understanding of the ratio of foreign experts/KSA talent for military & industrial projects?? I don't know if Pakistan would have a bench deep enough to afford many experts. Maybe some CIS and Chinese scientists & engineers and Chinese?

To top it all, you might as well make a Saudi Natanz/Fordow and bury it deep enough. Obviously Iran lacks what US, etc have on penetrating ordinance but you don't design installations like this keeping your immediate foe in mind for requirements.

Whichever way, it'd take a long time and be an incredibly wasteful effort draining a lot of capital for very little in return. In some earlier post, I estimated going nuclear would actually stop KSA from meeting energy production goals. Doing enrichment would sap even more resources from civilian power production planning/phasing.

If it ever comes to pass (I bet it won't, even if an agreement is made), Iran should be thankful they're going to throw their resources away that could be better spent on more effective deterrence.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Open letter in the NYRB about the need to DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/02/27/the-world-must-act-now-on-syria

quote:

The World Must Act Now on Syria
An Open Letter

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

icantfindaname posted:

The world is acting though? I mean, it's primarily acting to bomb the piss out of Syria, but still, acting.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/968721114955501568?s=19

Recognition of Taliban as a legitimate political group.
Ceasefire and a release of prisoners.
Review of the constitution as part of a pact with the Taliban.
Taliban would have to recognize the Afghan government and respect the rule of law.

I doubt the Taliban is interested in this deal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/968721114955501568?s=19

Recognition of Taliban as a legitimate political group.
Ceasefire and a release of prisoners.
Review of the constitution as part of a pact with the Taliban.
Taliban would have to recognize the Afghan government and respect the rule of law.

I doubt the Taliban is interested in this deal.

But it sure as hell gets the american public to think are boys will come back sooner.

The taliban sits at the table now, in 5 years they will be at the head. The taliban has fast become a coventional fighting force. This is literally vietnam 2.0. We strengthened the enemy and now they threaten more than 50% of the country. Give it a few years and we will see a retreat of the northern alliance.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The world is acting though? I mean, it's primarily acting to bomb the piss out of Syria, but still, acting.

I thought we all agreed to act like we give a poo poo?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

We strengthened the enemy and now they threaten more than 50% of the country. Give it a few years and we will see a retreat of the northern alliance.

We haven't strengthened the Taliban in just under 30 years.

Our """allies""" in the area have been though.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

svenkatesh posted:

We haven't strengthened the Taliban in just under 30 years.

Our """allies""" in the area have been though.

The US has been pouring in arms and money to the corrupt Afghan government. The Taliban is likely capturing/stealing/buying/extorting quite a bit of the equipment the US is providing.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Does the army let you enlist when you're underage, or do we have to wait until next year to send troops in who weren't even alive when we invaded?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Does the army let you enlist when you're underage, or do we have to wait until next year to send troops in who weren't even alive when we invaded?

You can sign up when you're 17 (with parental permission) but I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 by the time you finish your initial entry training.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/nik_bobbies/status/968069001300533258

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MbS bringing some positive change to Yemen :smug:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kill Liberals.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bashar Al-Assad, if you're reading this, for the love of god please drop sarin gas on the Washington Post HQ. I will literally suck your dick if you do so.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Have the Taliban moderated at all to expand their appeal or are they still pretty much a bunch of dickheads?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I mean, in the West, wasn't men killing themselves in vast numbers a -huge- part of women's suffrage, and then killing themselves in vast numbers -loving again- 20 years later, a huge part of women working in an expanded variety of different occupations?

E: Honestly spinning either thing as a positive outcome for killing tens of millions of people is retarded, and MBS shouldn't win any humanitarian awards even if Yemeni women do retain better rights in a few years. Although who knows, Obama got a Nobel Peace prize for doing absolutely jack-poo poo.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

But it sure as hell gets the american public to think are boys will come back sooner.

Aren't they mostly home already? The presence is a tenth of what it used to be.
Did Afghanistan fatigue playing any part in the recent elections?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Short thread

https://twitter.com/THE_47th/status/968776715664265216

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
e:Misread.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Have the Taliban moderated at all to expand their appeal or are they still pretty much a bunch of dickheads?

What do you mean by "moderated?" They simply want to implement Shariat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

svenkatesh posted:

What do you mean by "moderated?" They simply want to implement Shariat.
They need to triangulate to reach upper-middle class Afghans.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They need to triangulate to reach upper-middle class Afghans.

All 5-10% of them? I mean, why would they need to cater to such a small minority whose recent relative wealth and power is heavily dependent on their enemy (an enemy which are steadily losing interest in propping up that minority security wise and whose absence will severely depower that minority anyway).

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Islam is a political religion.

You can't "triangulate" Shariat. You either follow it or you don't.

Related - notice that none of Saudi Arabia's "reforms" have actually contradicted or rolled-back Shariat.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

svenkatesh posted:

I thought it was a joke about blowing up affluent dissenters with their newly acquired tech.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

svenkatesh posted:

Related - notice that none of Saudi Arabia's "reforms" have actually contradicted or rolled-back Shariat.

tell me more, goon, sire. :jerkbag:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zudgemud posted:

All 5-10% of them? I mean, why would they need to cater to such a small minority whose recent relative wealth and power is heavily dependent on their enemy (an enemy which are steadily losing interest in propping up that minority security wise and whose absence will severely depower that minority anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_N3kROJvn0

(i mean, granting the premise of the joke, you ain't wrong nawmean?)

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 28, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

Trap sprung, well played Buttery Pastry

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

svenkatesh posted:

you can promote nerds and norms you like and lean on nerds and norms you don't, although in the case of the Taliban it's definitely more the nerds making policy rather than policymakers leaning on the nerds

i don't actually know anything about whether the Taliban's applied theology has changed in any meaningful way in the last fifteen years but dismissing that as a possibility is stupid

fake edit: oh right, you're that guy

actual edit: also I missed buttery pastry being a funnyman

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_N3kROJvn0

(i mean, granting the premise of the joke, you ain't wrong nawmean?)

Oh hey, I replied to that calorie rich sand German, never mind then!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Uh, if I got baited then well done. Too subtle for me to pick up on I guess.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

fake edit: oh right, you're that guy

What is that supposed to mean? :airquote:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

svenkatesh posted:

Uh, if I got baited then well done. Too subtle for me to pick up on I guess.

This thread is an excellent demonstration of Poe's Law.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CarrKnight posted:

Aren't they mostly home already? The presence is a tenth of what it used to be.
Did Afghanistan fatigue playing any part in the recent elections?

Afghan fatigue will last until the last man leaves. 7,000 is too many for the american public to stomach. Aswell as lack of real understanding of the issue at in general. No one givew a poo poo about afghanistan other than "we need to get out" ive heard this on both sides of the aisle. Coming back to the us esp transitioning jnto the civilian world whenever that word "afghanistan" comes up theres always a disdain for anyone sent to the country. Not a disdain for the individual person, more of the act of being sent to the place.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

axelord posted:

The US has been pouring in arms and money to the corrupt Afghan government. The Taliban is likely capturing/stealing/buying/extorting quite a bit of the equipment the US is providing.

Yes. This is happening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-soldiers.html

Just five days ago the Taliban used two captured Humvees as carbombs in attacks on government checkpoints. They then captured a Humvee.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Saladman posted:

E: Honestly spinning either thing as a positive outcome for killing tens of millions of people is retarded, and MBS shouldn't win any humanitarian awards even if Yemeni women do retain better rights in a few years. Although who knows, Obama got a Nobel Peace prize for doing absolutely jack-poo poo.
Obama got a Nobel prize literally because he wasn't George W Bush.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

icantfindaname posted:

As bad as things are in Ghouta, Yemen is still the biggest humanitarian crisis on this planet. It's nice and easy to write about evil Assad and evil Putin doing horrible things in Syria while not mentioning the US spported Saudi blockade of Yemen that's causing the biggest famine of the century.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

As bad as things are in Ghouta, Yemen is still the biggest humanitarian crisis on this planet. It's nice and easy to write about evil Assad and evil Putin doing horrible things in Syria while not mentioning the US spported Saudi blockade of Yemen that's causing the biggest famine of the century.

So mention it, nothing is stopping you. Nobody is obliged to mention all things at all times in correct proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Well hundreds of people dying is less than thousands dying, but we should definitely be mad about both. I, for one, would be grateful for more Yemen news itt. There's a real problem with the media coverage there and any actual verifiable reporting from Yemen is precious and I want to hear it.

I think we mostly talk about Syria more because we've been following it a long time and the media coverage is good enough that we can actually get a sense of things. It doesn't mean we don't care about Yemen in this thread though. I think most of us do.