Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

small bird pudding posted:

Not your lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc., but the main thing that would give me pause if I were signing this myself and actually read it first is that they only carve out claims that are the sole responsibility of the hotel's negligence or willful misconduct, so if you and the hotel are both negligent it's theoretically all on you.

Worse, if it is partly the hotel's fault and partly my guest's fault it's all on me too.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I think insuring your event, which should only be a couple hundred dollars, would take care of any issues that may arise.

Also, most places’ insurance (in this case, the Hilton’s insurance) would be more likely to settle a case with someone than to argue in court about whether they were actually at fault or not.

Just get your own event insurance as a just in case measure. I’m doing that for my wedding.

Pretty sure insurance doesn't usually cover if you're found liable but not certain.

Krysmphoenix posted:

I mean, it seems common sense that the hotel isn't responsible for someone getting drunk and hurting themselves. The phrasing at the end there seems pretty clear that if the hotel does something wrong, they have to own to it.

Either way, it seems like a pretty standard "don't sue us for your mistakes" waiver.

"Don't sue us for your mistakes" is one thing, insure us for ours is is something else.

I like the venue and I'm going to see if I can get this struck. I'm not *super* worried but it's a nasty clause that wasn't present in my brother's contract.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I think insuring your event, which should only be a couple hundred dollars, would take care of any issues that may arise.

Also, most places’ insurance (in this case, the Hilton’s insurance) would be more likely to settle a case with someone than to argue in court about whether they were actually at fault or not.

Just get your own event insurance as a just in case measure. I’m doing that for my wedding.

My venue mandated that I got event insurance. Think it was like $200 or so? Maybe a little less.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Mortabis posted:

Worse, if it is partly the hotel's fault and partly my guest's fault it's all on me too.

True, I was including your guests as part of you in terms of whose fault it could be.

Was your brother's wedding at the same venue?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
No, his was at a vineyard near Purcellville, Virginia.

edit: update, the hotel removed the clause completely after I emailed so problem solved.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
For those of you who did not have a DJ or band how do you feel things went without them? Did you rent a microphone in order to announce things? What did you do that worked or didn’t work?

Still wondering if I should get a DJ or not.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

For those of you who did not have a DJ or band how do you feel things went without them? Did you rent a microphone in order to announce things? What did you do that worked or didn’t work?

Still wondering if I should get a DJ or not.

We did not have a DJ and it was great. We rented some equipment from guitar center for cheap and just plugged a microphone into it. My wife and I had a lot of fun putting together playlists for the wedding. We put a specific person in charge of the ipod during the wedding and didn't have any problems there.

We put together specific playlists for the different parts of the reception and that made it easy for the girl in charge of the ipod to switch to the appropriate music when it was time. We're glad we did it this way because it was fun picking out music together and we got to have exactly the songs we wanted. It cost us like $150 total.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

We did not have a DJ and it was great. We rented some equipment from guitar center for cheap and just plugged a microphone into it. My wife and I had a lot of fun putting together playlists for the wedding. We put a specific person in charge of the ipod during the wedding and didn't have any problems there.

We put together specific playlists for the different parts of the reception and that made it easy for the girl in charge of the ipod to switch to the appropriate music when it was time. We're glad we did it this way because it was fun picking out music together and we got to have exactly the songs we wanted. It cost us like $150 total.

drat that’s way more reasonably priced than I had assumed renting the equipment would be. Also, good call on different playlists. I hadn’t thought of that.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

This is almost word for word what we did, except a friend of ours who is into music brought his laptop with an automated DJ program so that it transitioned between songs that were pre-set in a playlist. He also offered to rent the speakers/mic for us and set the up as his wedding gift to us, which was awesome so I have no idea what it cost.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Please tell me more about organising playlists! I know our first dance song and I know a few others I definitely want, but some tips on how best to actually organise things so the music goes smoothly would be much appreciated.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bollock Monkey posted:

Please tell me more about organising playlists! I know our first dance song and I know a few others I definitely want, but some tips on how best to actually organise things so the music goes smoothly would be much appreciated.

We broke ours out into:

-Cocktail hour mingling music
-Reception dinner eating music
-Regular (old people) dancing music
-Fun younger people dancing music

as our larger playlists

And then we had other songs in there for first dance, wedding party arrival, cake cutting, etc. Even if there was only one song for each of those instances, we put it in its own labeled playlist. So we could tell the girl in charge of the ipod, "hey we're doing the cake cutting soon, put on the Cake Cutting Playlist."

We also cleared out every other song EXCEPT the wedding songs/playlists off the ipod so there was less chance of wrong music selection by our person in charge.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I high recommend picking up a bunch of glowsticks if you've got fun dancing music for later in the evening. We broke them out once we switched to that music. The sudden appearance of glowsticks completely revitalized everyone who had left the dance floor and got everyone out on it again.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We started our playlist during dinner, just background stuff. When we heard a certain song, we knew the next one would be the first dance, so that was our cue to get ready. We did our first dance, and after that it was three dance songs and one slow song for the rest of the playlist. We had a really long classical piece for the cake cutting about 20 minutes after the first dance. I had a song for the bouquet throw but completely forgot to do it. Our total length was about three and a half hours on the ipod. We had the playlist backed up on my phone in case anything happened to the ipod. Once our playlist ran out, it was pretty late into the night, so most of the people left were close friends and family. People plugged in their phones and played whatever they wanted. I'm so glad we went this route. All we did was plug it in, push play, and we were set. The best part is that it was free.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can’t understand why I can’t get any caterers to get back to me :( what was the response time for caterers for the rest of you?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I can’t understand why I can’t get any caterers to get back to me :( what was the response time for caterers for the rest of you?

Basically within a day. Are you filling out forms on people's websites? Leaving messages?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Basically within a day. Are you filling out forms on people's websites? Leaving messages?

Forms on websites and emails.

One caterer I was talking to (one of two that replied) stopped replying as well. It’s pretty odd.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Call them.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I’ll give that a shot. Thank you.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I just called one of them. He seemed annoyed with my persistence but told me he’d send me an email with wedding info. Hopefully he does!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

We broke ours out into:

-Cocktail hour mingling music
-Reception dinner eating music
-Regular (old people) dancing music
-Fun younger people dancing music

as our larger playlists

And then we had other songs in there for first dance, wedding party arrival, cake cutting, etc. Even if there was only one song for each of those instances, we put it in its own labeled playlist. So we could tell the girl in charge of the ipod, "hey we're doing the cake cutting soon, put on the Cake Cutting Playlist."

We also cleared out every other song EXCEPT the wedding songs/playlists off the ipod so there was less chance of wrong music selection by our person in charge.

Once again, we did exactly the same thing. That way we didn’t have to time out exactly when things were happening ahead of time because you never know when something will run late or be a bit early. Separate playlists even for single songs is pretty foolproof.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I just called one of them. He seemed annoyed with my persistence but told me he’d send me an email with wedding info. Hopefully he does!

This is baffling to me after having caterers/rentals/etc hounding me for a decision.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

This is baffling to me after having caterers/rentals/etc hounding me for a decision.

I’m wondering if it’s either because it’s a small wedding, or if it’s because it’s in Vermont? Maybe both??

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, caterers falling all over themselves to try to win a contract was the best part of wedding planning.

Why yes, I will take another free 11 course tasting menu for two, thank you!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Well we’re going to sample some caterers in April! Thank you for the advice on calling. It seems to have worked!

Also, I ordered my wedding dress yesterday (!) and they measured me wearing 3.5” heels. I didn’t realize that the shoes I wanted were 4.5”. Do you think if I get them it’s going to look weird, or should I opt for 3.5” heels?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Those dresses usually get done in multiple fittings, don't they? I assume the tailor will hem it to the right length after it arrives.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Those dresses usually get done in multiple fittings, don't they? I assume the tailor will hem it to the right length after it arrives.

I called and was able to get them to call the dressmaker to add another inch. They measured to the shorter heels and it would have been too short when it came in. So relieved...

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

JFC that's like $125 per plate. That's super unreasonable unless there's some michelin star chef preparing it for you.

I helped out at a wedding where the couple prepared their own food beforehand, and myself and a few friends "catered" the wedding by getting the food ready and keeping the food tables stocked throughout the reception. It literally took all morning just to manage getting the food ready and set up. If you decide to go this route, you will have to have people help (preferably people not super close to you so they don't miss out on the whole wedding). It's definitely doable but it's a task that needs to be delegated to other people - you won't have time to do it yourself. $2k for catering isn't bad, and you won't have to worry about prep or clean-up.

There's always pizza.

There really is always pizza. I’ve bartended weddings where pizza was the main course, along with salad and it was loving *amazing. *
Everyone loved the food. The couples used some local pizza places that did catering and were not your average pizza place poo poo at all.

There’s also a timing thing to consider— weddings don’t have to be at night before dinner. We had ours at 7 at night and invited people for desserts, drinks and dancing and people gorged themselves on a ton of different kinds of sweets and drank like fish as well as danced their asses off. We asked guests to send us a list of their favorite dance songs so everyone could hear ‘ their’ song.

We are doing a vow renewal in two more years and we will do the same things then, too. It’s the quality of time spent with friends that everyone remembers and cares about, not the money you spent.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We did breakfast for dinner with an omelette bar. It was loving amazing and everyone loved it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
We're having the hotel do the catering because we're prioritizing simplicity of planning over everything else. It's also doing all the decorating and everything. With all the stuff they're doing for us there's not that much left for us to do. It's amazing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mortabis posted:

We're having the hotel do the catering because we're prioritizing simplicity of planning over everything else. It's also doing all the decorating and everything. With all the stuff they're doing for us there's not that much left for us to do. It's amazing.

Our venue (resort in Tahoe) gave us their recommended DJ/photog/florist/etc and catered it themselves, including all the decoration. They bundled the cost of everything together on one invoice and we only had to worry about tipping the other vendors. It was fantastic.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Well, we confirmed our date for our Copenhagen city hall wedding and bought our plane tickets. Of course, now the photographer we spoke with before who said to let him know once we confirmed the date has gone MIA. We have time and it's the middle of the day on a Wednesday, but I want to get this poo poo locked down. Ugh.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can you still have dancing and an open bar at a brunch wedding? I have to get married on a Sunday and everyone I’ve invited has told me they’ll be bored without an endless supply of booze and dancing music, so I am here to provide.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Shnooks posted:

Can you still have dancing and an open bar at a brunch wedding? I have to get married on a Sunday and everyone I’ve invited has told me they’ll be bored without an endless supply of booze and dancing music, so I am here to provide.

You can do whatever you’d like at your wedding, including open bar and dancing. A mimosa station would be fun!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

You can do whatever you’d like at your wedding, including open bar and dancing. A mimosa station would be fun!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! It's in January so all the tea, coffee, and alcohol you can put in there, and mimosas of course. And lots of snacks.

Technically we're having a Jewish wedding and you're supposed to party hard, though my Rabbi seemed relieved when she learned we were incredibly chill.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So, it begins: time to start looking into engagement ringses! :woop:

My lady is rather specific about what she likes, so there are a few questions here:

1. Is it still best bang-for-buck to buy a stone (from wherever those come from for a fair price) and then take that to a jeweler and have it put into a custom ring?

2. Do jewelers expect you to know wtf you want precisely? Because right now I have a Pinterest board filled with "rings she likes" and I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into instructions. In my head I'm hoping it's like tattoo artists, where I can bring in pictures and say "do something like this" - but tell me how I should go about this for best results, please and thank you.

3. Can someone post some super dope men's wedding bands? I have no idea what I want I just want to start thinking about it.

4. Is there a better thread for this?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

black.lion posted:

So, it begins: time to start looking into engagement ringses! :woop:

My lady is rather specific about what she likes, so there are a few questions here:

1. Is it still best bang-for-buck to buy a stone (from wherever those come from for a fair price) and then take that to a jeweler and have it put into a custom ring?

2. Do jewelers expect you to know wtf you want precisely? Because right now I have a Pinterest board filled with "rings she likes" and I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into instructions. In my head I'm hoping it's like tattoo artists, where I can bring in pictures and say "do something like this" - but tell me how I should go about this for best results, please and thank you.

3. Can someone post some super dope men's wedding bands? I have no idea what I want I just want to start thinking about it.

4. Is there a better thread for this?

1. yeah but if she isn't "real diamond or die" then get a "not diamond" or a moissanite or somesuch because diamonds are awful.

4. nope this is the right place

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Diamonds are fine, nothing wrong with diamonds, but if you can get away with a synthetic one that's good because they're cheaper and they have more consistently good cut. Getting a separate stone can be cheaper or it might not be.

Some jewelers might be able to help you but the chain jewelry shops probably can't, and everyone will want to sell you what they have in stock. Anything particularly custom is going to add cost. Keep in mind if you wear something for 30 years the fashion of it is going to be out of date very soon so it doesn't matter.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Thanks for the responses y'all!

I want to get her a diamond just because, I don't know, this is the one part of "tradition" my stupid lizard brain really wants to adhere to. She's lovely and amazing and she deserves a real diamond to smack all her friends with who already have real diamonds. I'll do my best to get one that didn't originate with slavery or murder, but I mean I shop on amazon so my consumer ethics are pretty trash already.

Mortabis posted:

Getting a separate stone can be cheaper or it might not be.

Where would I start, if I wanted to shop stones first and worry about metal around it second? How could I determine what a "reasonable" or "good" price is? I'm lost completely (obviously) but I'm drat determined to get a good deal, because that will be even MORE of a gift for her (she absolutely loves sales and coupons and the like, its almost a problem... but not yet so I'm encouraging and playing into it until it's pathological)

Mortabis posted:

Some jewelers might be able to help you but the chain jewelry shops probably can't, and everyone will want to sell you what they have in stock. Anything particularly custom is going to add cost. Keep in mind if you wear something for 30 years the fashion of it is going to be out of date very soon so it doesn't matter.

I know custom will cost more, I'm not super attached to the idea if I can find something in her taste that a jeweler has in stock, but her tastes (in all aspects of life) are very narrow so my main concern is that she is happy; cost and convenience are secondary. She's not really a fashion-trend follower, she wants what she wants and I'm fairly confident that will never change (and I have no idea what current wedding ring trends are but if her tastes align with them, it's coincidence).

So I guess my main question is, where do I go to just browse/buy a diamond at a non-inflated jewelry shop price? Alternatively, if I want to shop rings in stock already, do I check out local small jewelers and chat them up or...?

The root of these posts is "How do I get what I/my bb wants without getting fleeced?"

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

My fiancé got me a gorgeous moissanite engagement ring through brilliant earth. They also have vintage rings and ethically sourced diamond rings.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

My fiancé got me a gorgeous moissanite engagement ring through brilliant earth. They also have vintage rings and ethically sourced diamond rings.

Dope I will check them out for sure, thanks so much!

PS I liked your name better before, this one makes me sad :(

e: Can I assume that all the rings on Brilliant Earth are ethically-sourced diamonds? It seems like it but I just want to double-check before I start to feel good about not buying murderslave diamonds

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

black.lion posted:

Dope I will check them out for sure, thanks so much!

PS I liked your name better before, this one makes me sad :(

e: Can I assume that all the rings on Brilliant Earth are ethically-sourced diamonds? It seems like it but I just want to double-check before I start to feel good about not buying murderslave diamonds

Haha the name preceded me. It was time for a change.

As far as the diamonds, yes they all are.