Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh poo poo :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

PleasureKevin posted:

day of apple announcement: "boo boo the notch sucks, lol nice notch you got there crapple"

1 day after apple announcement: "folks we are now well underway in what people are calling the Notch Wars"

oh my god are they really calling it the fruit phone x? :laffo:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we were able to engineer a slimmer notch by not including the whole 3D face detection biometric sensor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

we were able to engineer a slimmer notch by not including the whole 3D face detection biometric sensor

makes you think, doughnut?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe instead of cramming half a lidar rig into this phone we could just use the fingerprint sensor thingy that already basically works?

no! says jony ive, that would be too functional

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

makes you think, Android 1.6 Donut?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's 2018 and tech people are still using homophobic terms like fruit to insult apple, a company run by a gay man.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thank you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

it's 2018 and tech people are still using homophobic terms like fruit to insult apple, a company run by a gay man.

i have the folder full of apple things on my phone labeled 'fruit' because apple is a type of fruit and it brings me pleasure, kevin

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

they really needed that space for the huge extra clock

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

they really needed that space for the huge extra clock

and the plentiful notifications anroid will grant you

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

good to hear he lost weight, i was worried after he sold to microsoft and it seemed like everyone hated him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

Even I think this is reading a bit much into that one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, c’mon. make with the pleasure, kevin.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
his name is ironic

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I eat fruit for breakfast

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pram posted:

his name is ironic

is this like in the alanis morrisette sense of the word

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he is neither pleasure nor kevin

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

day of apple announcement: "boo boo the notch sucks, lol nice notch you got there crapple"

1 day after apple announcement: "folks we are now well underway in what people are calling the Notch Wars"

how do these people sleep at night

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

Even I think this is reading a bit much into that one.

keep trying

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poty posted:

how do these people sleep at night

they've already managed to rationalize working in an industry that is destroying society and directly harming workers, i imagine a little fibbing about product specs isn't insomnia-inducing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stymie posted:

they've already managed to rationalize working in an industry that is destroying society and directly harming workers, i imagine a little fibbing about product specs isn't insomnia-inducing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if apple can narrow the notch, that would be great. then they can make the X smaller to fit my doll hands

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quality of the 3d image is directly related to the distance between the sensors in the notch so unless they want to make face id worse

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

A few pages back there was a tweet with a successor in spirit of the Kyocera Echo. While the Echo came out with a neat concept, the main problem it had was the freaking specs were the same inside as a WiMax EVO not a Samsung S4.

The problem with all the "Gimick" phones is instead of going all in on one to make it have a shot at succeeding, they always seem to half rear end it and doom it to fail because who wants a dual screen phone that will just force close 1/2 of the stuff you are trying to multitask because it has the same CPU/RAM as a phone made 2-4 years prior? The gimick needs hardware to back it up or it is just useless.

The only Gimicks that seem to stick around are Apple's because they do it on the next best hardware and people buy it up. Probably not for the gimick, but because it has the best of everything Apple is putting out and they don't have a choice anyway.

If other Android OEM's would try and take the lead on some sort of future gimick for once, they might surprise themselves that they don't need to copy Apples crappy design decisions to make a phone that will sell.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PleasureKevin posted:

if apple can narrow the notch, that would be great. then they can make the X smaller to fit my doll hands

you're describing an iphone se

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I too think Apple makes the next best hardware to...uh someone I guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

quality of the 3d image is directly related to the distance between the sensors in the notch so unless they want to make face id worse

applying the rule of thumb that true compromise leaves everyone unsatisfied

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

people like dual screens on desktop, they must like it on mobile. because my brain is stupid.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

it’s a top tier Gimick

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
imagine dual wielding two phones like liquid metal extensions of your hands and guess what - both phones have two screens.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
“help! we need to find a new restaurant to go to, get directions to the new restaurant, text our friends the new restaurant, and download a new launcher”

*andoid user smirks, chords yelp/maps/hangouts/play store and waits for ui to respond*

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

the chronicles of Gimick

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

creationist believer posted:

imagine dual wielding two phones like liquid metal extensions of your hands and guess what - both phones have two screens.

as i was walking to st. stebes i met a man with seven screens. every screen had seven apps. every app had seven clocks......

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

as i was walking to st. stebes i met a man with seven screens. every screen had seven apps. every app had seven clocks......
lol hehe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jfc. is that its battery on the back?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

President Beep posted:

jfc. is that its battery on the back?

it's a battery addon back as shown, so, yeah, you can find shots of iphones with a tumorous 5000 mAh backs on them as well

little doubt this is a lovely random chinese brand-driven sort of thing, but it is not that new a bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just kind of surprised to see something like that as a first party item