Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

:smith: yeah the poor sods just sitting there playing the numbers lottery all day, poking away at the keypad without ever trying the door, which they could very well have unlocked dozens of times

every now and then you get one savvy enough to realize pulling the fire alarm unlocks all the doors, that's always fun

by far the worst were the dump-and-runs, where they take gam-gam to visit some friend they say she's just forgotten, then someone says HEY LOOK IT'S HERB ALPERT and dash off behind the locked door, leaving her to a very understandable week-long freakout over having been abandoned in an unfamiliar house of horrors. I mean, the staff try to make things less terrible for them, and there really is no genteel way of having someone committed to a place like that so short (or non-)goodbyes are better than protracted affairs but holy poo poo, you did not want to be anywhere near the door for a while after that happened

just wire me up with firework powder and a suicide vest and launch me into the air out of a giant slingshot on canada day, put on a fuckin show and spare me that genuinely terrifying tailspin
it's a social crime, what we do to old folks

i was in newcastle last year and I walk into a pub at 2pm on a tuesday and there's 40 seniors in there just sitting around tables drinking beer bullshitting with friends and happy to have a chat with anyone, that's the kind of poo poo i want to see but it's only possible in a country that both takes care of everyone and has public transportation for people who can't drive anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

well to be fair this was an alzheimer unit and the people in there definitely belonged there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bhodi posted:

i was in newcastle last year and I walk into a pub at 2pm on a tuesday and there's 40 seniors in there just sitting around tables drinking beer bullshitting with friends and happy to have a chat with anyone, that's the kind of poo poo i want to see but it's only possible in a country that both takes care of everyone and has public transportation for people who can't drive anymore

those people are all in their 40s

they look 80 because they've been drinking in a pub in newcastle since they were 14

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh hey tori, didn't recognize the new av of a... metal cheeseburger?

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/mcdonalds-absurdly-lavish-bling-mac-ring-could-be-yours-if-you-love-it-enough/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that thing is kinda viscerally disturbing to look at

like aliens tried to make something familiar but they only had pictures of it so they made it out of transmogrified human meat and elemental silicon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i was trying to pin down my reaction as well. you've pretty much nailed it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also the headline of the immediately following article adweek tried to get me to look at is hilarious: "Michelob Ultra Continues Its Commitment to Health and Wellness With New Premium Organic Brew"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They sell matte screen monitors you know

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bhodi posted:

I used to visit my grandmother at her assisted living community and inside the entrance door there's a keypad and in 12 point font beneath it says 'type the current year to unlock the door'

I was going to point out how easy it would be to brute force this but then I realized brute-forcing would require the ability to remember your progress over the span of a few minutes :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They sell matte screen monitors you know

well i don't see how that would hel... heyyyyyy :saddowns:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

I was going to point out how easy it would be to brute force this but then I realized brute-forcing would require the ability to remember your progress over the span of a few minutes :(

I imagine being able to read 12-point font is also an issue, honestly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the newly extended 91 express lanes from Orange County to Riverside hit $21 at peak

despite this they also have twice the ridership as expected

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Rex-Goliath posted:

*maintenance guy pulls the entry log

"why in the hell was 1952 entered 27 times?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

I loving love Spotify but no way in hell I’d buy shares since they’re almost inevitable doomed. The music streaming model is almost fundamentally different than tv or movies. big media is going to start asking for more and more for x and y and z and do their own exclusive partnerships with highest bidders from Apple or Google or whatever leading to piecemeal destruction of their library. and unlike Netflix you really can’t produce your own content to make up for hemorrhaging g library because people will get pissed when their favorite songs/artists start to dissapear from their library since it’s something actively reused. and then the user death spiral happens. also ads are poo poo useless and revenue from them is gunna decline as more companies realize they’re useless
yeah the base problem for streaming companies with other people's content is when you go public you have to publish your numbers so the people you're paying can just ask for 25% of it knowing there's 10 other companies doing the same thing

the music industry in particular seems to have no objection to making less money than they could as long as it's on their terms

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sapozhnik posted:

I love that article view button in Firefox so much

I love the genius behind the idea, to make a poo poo-sucking site's SEO backfire on them spectacularly

I love the fact that the absolute worst people are probably enraged by its very existence

Every time I press that button it brightens my day a little bit

I used pocket for a long time and when it got bought and seemlessly integrated into Firefox was one of the few tech experiences I would say "delighted" me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

yeah the base problem for streaming companies with other people's content is when you go public you have to publish your numbers so the people you're paying can just ask for 25% of it knowing there's 10 other companies doing the same thing

the music industry in particular seems to have no objection to making less money than they could as long as it's on their terms

that’s a good point lol Spotify is hosed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh lord the monthly SV transportation luncheon is going to be on something called "Smart Regions"

quote:

What is a Smart Region? How will Smart Regions change transportation as we know it today?

i'm guessing it's similar to the hot new "smart cities" idea but applied across multiple townships in the area

quote:

Applying IoT/M2M technologies to the challenge of improving the lives of citizens leads to the creation of “Smart Cities” – evolved solutions that have the potential to help solve numerous challenges we face in the 21st century. We define "smart cities" as technology applied to create vertical solutions that address municipal challenges. Given the potential value of smart cities and the negative impact of not addressing those challenges, forward-thinking leaders are strategizing around and planning for smart cities now.

uuuggggghhhhhhh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i cannot wait to have all transportation infrastructure using hardwired admin/password combos and being ddosable and spoofable over the internet

this is cool and good and i can see no possible problems with it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

cis autodrag posted:

I think a difficulty in pushing leftist issues is that people really need to have some basis of foundational assumptions for their reality, and for most conservatives these assumptions are inherited from a colonial and racist history. When you tell them one of those assumptions is incorrect, it's not just criticism. You're literally taking a sledgehammer to the reality they thought they lived in. A violent response (be that social, political, or physical) is not only natural, but an act of self preservation on their part.

Human brains just aren't wired that well for confronting flaws in our bases assumptions. Bernie and Hillary both sold a message that America has gotten some things wrong, and Donald sold the message that America cannot be wrong. It's not surprising that people who are now shocked by his behavior jumped on board the train at election time. Decorum didn't matter to them then, just preserving the reality where they're just innocent moral folks trying to live their own lives and stay out of others business. Now they're seeing the reality of Trump and being forced to confront their flawed foundations anyway, leading to his approval contracting to only hardened unapologetic racists and monsters.

as always a good and substantive post is mostly not engaged with

(also you are still owed 1 avatar)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

This didn't happen. She was just enough out that all the super delegates wouldn't be enough

Hundreds of arrests and convictions.

yeah, she wanted to suppress votes too to ensure the superdelegates weren't an issue for anyone but her so thanks for confirming

as for arrests, specifically who? like not necessarily everybody, but who do you think will be the most likely highest-profile arrests? manafort? flynn? gates? kushner? trump?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh lord the monthly SV transportation luncheon is going to be on something called "Smart Regions"

i'm guessing it's similar to the hot new "smart cities" idea but applied across multiple townships in the area

uuuggggghhhhhhh

oh man, you should be following the sidewalk labs bullshit happening in toronto.

just absolute complete loving nonsense. repeating the mistakes of previous failed neighbourhoods (in toronto, no less), but digital.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prisoner of waffles posted:

as always a good and substantive post is mostly not engaged with

(also you are still owed 1 avatar)

this ain't d&d kemosabe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

uuuggggghhhhhhh

ehh. stuff like this always comes across as so goddamned gimmicky.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

that’s a good point lol Spotify is hosed

when netflix signed the starz streaming deal that got them a shitload of movies right when the service was getting off the ground starz was crowing about how much money they were getting until they realized how many people were signing up for netflix and they spent the next 4 years trying to unravel the deal early and building their own service which I 100% guarantee you they learn less money from

it's like that thing where if you give a kid a cookie they're super stoked unless they see another kid with a bigger/better cookie at which point the original cookie is completely forgotten and usually dropped on the ground

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 1, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm certain it's just gonna be a giveaway to companies looking to sell sensor actuators for traffic signals that also conveniently collect traffic data for them to sell too

philips is already being allowed to run fiber everywhere around here so they can replace a shitload of streetlights w/ their smart poles, all for no cost to the city

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

when netflix signed the starz streaming deal that got them a shitload of movies right when the service was getting off the ground starz was crowing about how much money they were getting until they realized how many people were signing up for netflix and they spent the next 4 years trying to unravel the deal early and building their own service which I 100% guarantee you they learn less money from

it's like that thing where if you give a kid a cookie they're super stoked unless they see another kid with a bigger/better cookie at which point the original cookie is completely forgotten and usually dropped on the ground

it says in the article they increased cable customers so it may have actually worked for them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm certain it's just gonna be a giveaway to companies looking to sell sensor actuators for traffic signals that also conveniently collect traffic data for them to sell too

philips is already being allowed to run fiber everywhere around here so they can replace a shitload of streetlights w/ their smart poles, all for no cost to the city

why not use lorawan/nbiot/etc.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sapozhnik posted:

and it just made me think, my god, what the gently caress do you even do with these people? people who, even after they forget their children's faces, their own names, how to even string a coherent sentence together, when all that is dead and gone there's still this rotten little ulcer at the very center of their brain screaming friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family until the very last breath

lee atwater figured out what you do with these people 50 years ago

my wife works with brain injured patients and has similar stories of ppl who didn't know what year it was or where they were but knew the president was "a black fella". not even necessarily said with hated or anger (and these are ppl who aren't really capable of controlling their socially unacceptable emotions). it was apparently just a singular moment of shock and awe for older white ppl, which of course is a significant explanation of the current US political climate

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fishmech posted:

It is both true that yall ain't left enough and that Hillary Clinton was the most leftist major party primary or general candidate. Hope this helps.

This didn't happen. She was just enough out that all the super delegates wouldn't be enough

Hundreds of arrests and convictions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hoverwife said that everyone at the hospital in nola had to stop asking who the president was as part of the mental assessment because it's really difficult to empathize w/ a patient when they just blurt out the n word

then we moved to california and everyone at the hospital here had to stop asking who the president was as part of the mental assessment because "that rear end in a top hat" is not a useful answer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lee atwater figured out what you do with these people 50 years ago

my wife works with brain injured patients and has similar stories of ppl who didn't know what year it was or where they were but knew the president was "a black fella". not even necessarily said with hated or anger (and these are ppl who aren't really capable of controlling their socially unacceptable emotions). it was apparently just a singular moment of shock and awe for older white ppl, which of course is a significant explanation of the current US political climate

im glad we both thought of lee atwater when reading a string of n-words

i hope that is tied to his memory in that way forever

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FMguru posted:

i cannot wait to have all transportation infrastructure using hardwired admin/password combos and being ddosable and spoofable over the internet

this is cool and good and i can see no possible problems with it

or the new hardware is raided for parts

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Endless Mike posted:

I imagine being able to read 12-point font is also an issue, honestly.

yeah the door to my grandma's facility had the code on a laminated card right above the keypad - no trivia or guesswork needed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

duz posted:

lol. before i clicked i assumed it was about someone yanking copper cables or something. this is much better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

lol. before i clicked i assumed it was about someone yanking copper cables or something. this is much better.

this is a huge problem for m2m applications and carriers won’t let you use esims

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hobbesmaster posted:

this is a huge problem for m2m applications and carriers won’t let you use esims

i've got a few working verizon sims from some iot vending machine startup that recycled a pair of m2m wifi routers that looked like they'd been run over

still not sure what to do with them

e: the routers work too

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

duz posted:

this beats what I thought this was going to be, stealing oil from transformers for cooking :negative:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i've got a few working verizon sims from some iot vending machine startup that recycled a pair of m2m wifi routers that looked like they'd been run over

still not sure what to do with them

e: the routers work too

if they’re cdma not for too much longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

this beats what I thought this was going to be, stealing oil from transformers for cooking :negative:

this oil will kill you

yes but i don't want to eat grilled meat, it must be fried

oh well in that case