Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phylodox posted:

He’s a ridiculously popular, charming beefcake who’s the latest action blockbuster darling. I can’t really parse your statement to the contrary.

I think he's poo poo in Guardians and Jurassic World (and in the latter is the best recent example of a Mary Sue / Marty Stu / whatever that I can think of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

here's a fun article:

The headline: Marvel Is Turning The Blockbuster With A Social Message Into Its Brand

I for one support the MCU and their limousine liberal politics.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

McCloud posted:

Actually, I got curious now, since I obsess over BvS and MoS, what else have the Snyders been critical about?

What I can think of off the top of my head is:
Krypton in MoS is a critique against the exploitative nature of capitalism, for instance.

Uhhh, so the is planet that’s entirely rigidly centrally planned literally from birth is somehow capitalist? Try again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think he's poo poo in Guardians and Jurassic World (and in the latter is the best recent example of a Mary Sue / Marty Stu / whatever that I can think of).

Your opinion notwithstanding, he objectively cuts a fine form and is a popular star of action movies. He’s a strapping man of action.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh, so the is planet that’s entirely rigidly centrally planned literally from birth is somehow capitalist? Try again.

I think Krypton is more about the over-exploitation of natural resources without thinking of the environmental impact.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Just like Jack Sparrow's ex Amber Heard is going to be the DCEU's Queen of Atlantis, I hope WB cast Anna Farris as a badass space superheroine or a dinosaur hunter.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AlternateAccount posted:

"harvesting the planet's core was suicide!"

[smash cut to an oil rig catching on fire]

:thunk:

e: to be less facetious, it's fairly clearly drawing on Gattaca and The Matrix as inspiration, which are both dystopic visions of the future based on end-stage capitalism.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 1, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's interesting that getting kicked off Justice League has ended up doing wonders for rehabilitating Snyder's reputation. Everyone is imagining this mythical cut that we've been robbed of thanks to those meddling executives. The worst thing for Snyder would be anyone ever seeing that cut again, it works far better as an imaginary perfect movie snatched from us.

Thats nonsense. All the people that enjoyed man of steel and batman vrs superman aren't imagining a mythical, imaginary perfect movie. They just wanted to see the next movie they reckoned they'd enjoy because of the previous two movies they liked.

For those people Snyder doesn't need rehabilitation and I don't really see how people that disliked those movies are somehow now sitting there thinking if only the guy whose previous movies I hated had got to make this one unmolested then I definitely would have enjoyed it this time.

No, what you mean is that people who found themselves unable to enjoy these movies through whatever hangups are now relieved to be able to move to more comfortable high ground in backing an aggrieved auteur against an easy enemy in an inartistic and uncaring big studio, without having to countenance actually watching and appreciating one of his films.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 1, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's hilarious that DC are trying to hire Kristen Wiig considering their new approach to DC movies already had a natural result of making a cinematic universe made of Ghostbusters 2016s.

The last movie to try this, of course, was cinematic smash hit... Ghostbusters 2016.

Lighter and funnier! LIGHTER AND FUNNIER! LIGHTER AND FUNNIER!

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 1, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fart City posted:

She’s actually not a terrible dramatic actress, surprisingly. No idea who she could possibly be playing, though. Cheetah, maybe? I can’t quite see it, but who knows? There was a time when it was pretty hard to see Chris Pratt as a strapping man of action, too.

She'd play that evil corporate lady who has phobos and Deimos as dogs

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ungulateman posted:

e: to be less facetious, it's fairly clearly drawing on Gattaca and The Matrix as inspiration, which are both dystopic visions of the future based on end-stage capitalism.

That’s an interesting angle.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pirate Jet posted:

It's hilarious that DC are trying to hire Kristen Wiig considering their new approach to DC movies already had a natural result of making a cinematic universe made of Ghostbusters 2016s.

The last movie to try this, of course, was cinematic smash hit... Ghostbusters 2016.

honestly, just hiring Wiig doesn't necessarily mean they're going for lighter and funnier. She's a perfectly capable dramatic actor who could easily turn in a really interesting, unique performance given the right opportunity.

Check out The Skeleton Twins for evidence of this. Or poo poo, even Bridesmaids allows her to stretch her dramatic muscles a little bit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Even justice league have like triple the box office of GB2016. But critics do like it better than most DCEU movies.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Everything is just a story told by Dilios to make an army ready for battle. It is a tale of an unreliable narrator. Is Xerxes really a nine foot tall androgynous dictator? No. Probably not. But if you want to tell a David vs Goliath story, that's a good start. Do the Persians have what almost seems like magic on their side? Absolutely not. But it makes for a good story.

The entire film is a critique of using revisionist history to try to control the masses.

But what function does Dilios serve in such a scenario?

I watched 300 once in the cinema, so it’s all a little faded from memory, but I took 300 as a soft satire on militaristic culture, a bit like Starship Troopers. Everything was so over the top, that even for people who had no knowledge of the battle of Thermopylae, it would seem implausible and jingoistic.

If we look at Dilios as an unreliable narrator within the film narrative, what’s our take away from this? That he inspires the rest of Greece to unite and free their lands from a foreign invader? That he’s distorting the truth to instil courage into his troops on the eve of battle, such courage which would lead Spartans to earning the reputation of never retreating nor surrendering in battle, lasting until the first Peloponnesian War (which was about 300 Spartans against 3000 Athenians, but the fact that it happened had a huge impact on the war as a whole).

Looking at it within the film, Dilios knowingly spinning a tale of hogwash is both justified given the very real threat the film still portrays at the end, and that it’s shown as being effective. You can say it’s about using propaganda to control the masses, but through that lens, it would appear that the film is also saying that it’s a good thing.

I took the battle to be entirely within the fiction of the film, but since everything is presented in such a way to prevent suspension of disbelief (something Dilios would not be trying to achieve), the audience becomes more critical of what’s being portrayed. The Spartans are formidable warriors, sure, but their culture is not. Their tyrannical quest for purity becomes their undoing (they aren’t betrayed by a greedy neighbour, but their own blood), their overconfidence gets them all killed (they aren’t part of a larger force, sacrificing themselves as a rear-guard action, but go in and stay there alone), and they aren’t immune to basic vices like greed. The final fight requires the aid of other Greek allies, not a purely Spartan force.

This reflects the actual problems that would send Sparta into decline. An aggressive militaristic culture where service was a duty and an honour (and a defining characteristic between Spartans and non-Spartans like the Helots), and Sparta was a closed culture with citizenship was passed down by blood, would see Spartan numbers erode over time. And with it, their ability to project their influence. It was a temporarily effective, but ultimately unsustainable system.

That’s why I think it works better if the entire story is in fiction. Dilios isn’t knowingly deceiving the grunts to fight for him. I don't see him deliberately crafting propaganda to temporarily boost morale on the eve of battle, like a Braveheart speech in reverse. It’s a pervasive distortion of how the Spartans, Dilios included, view the world, and has very real costs and consequences. It’s also why I don’t feel the sequel diminishes the first movie either. There you have Artemisia as the main antagonist, but like Ephialtes, her history has been changed to make her a product of a brutal war culture, and not an opportunist. She’s not a queen of a Greek city-state, but someone who was orphaned and forced into sex slavery by Greek soldiers. The characters in the films never reflect on these issues, because they are products of their society. But because the heroics lack verisimilitude, the audience is more aware and critical of the societal flaws being presented.

I will grant you that much of my interpretation relies on contrasting the reality of the battle and Sparta’s history to what’s being portrayed, and not purely in the context of the film (though I suppose that’s also the case with Dilios lying about the battle, because you aren’t shown the ‘real’ battle), but I think there are other issues with a fiction-within-fiction reading. Some fictions, like that the Spartans were there alone, would be immediately called out by the Spartan council and the other Greeks he’s telling the story to. Other fictions exist outside the story, like the Spartans not wearing armour. Dilios would also be addressing professional soldiers who have seen combat, so the excessive glorification of war seems counterproductive. The tale also includes elements that Dilios isn’t privy to.

And Dilios doesn’t embellish the core elements of the battle; the battle doesn’t last any longer than historically, they did have to face the Persian elite Immortals on both days (along with plenty of non-elite forces), the casualties were tremendously one-sided, especially when you consider the retreat and rear-guard action, and the Spartan still die at the end. Dilios is mainly changing the characterisation of the story elements; the noble Spartans, the wicked Persians, the glory of combat. But as a modern audience we don’t need (hopefully) the insertion of an unreliable narrator to pick up on those elements as fiction, and the themes can survive without him.

It’s why I think it’s soft satire. Everything is presented as fact, but in such a way to directly undermine itself. This propaganda is not the knowing lies of one man told with noble and justified intent, but the virtuous veneer covering a deeply flawed system. I can see how you can argue that Dilios is lying, but I think it’s wildly inappropriate to call a counter-interpretation as the stupidest thing ever.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 1, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

The MSJ posted:

I think Krypton is more about the over-exploitation of natural resources without thinking of the environmental impact.

ungulateman posted:

What these guys said. Krypton exploited its natural resources beyond the breaking point in a shortsighted way and even at the eve of their cataclysm they still go "Well what were we supposed to do, NOT use oil/gas/coal? Don't be dumb!".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AlternateAccount posted:

It's critical of actually-existing capitalism as a system where an ineffectual central government has failed to prevent mass exploitation of natural resources and has overseen the creation of an outsided military-industrial complex whereby the only thing on their planet which appears properly functional are the attack helicopters.

Not comedy-online-discussion capitalism, with lots of squawking about 'men with guns' and the evils of government intervention.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think you're missing that the actual government appears to have pretty broad reaching control, and a centrally planned government can be just as capable of overexploitation of resources and causing such a catastrophe. Shortsightedness and poor decision making aren't somehow capitalism exclusive. You're projecting. If they'd had some sort of demonstrated conflict where whatever Kryptonian industry was stonewalling attempts to move to other resources or something, maybe you'd have a point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“AlternateAccount”" post="“481757093”"]
I think you’re missing that the actual government appears to have pretty broad reaching control, and a centrally planned government can be just as capable of overexploitation of resources and causing such a catastrophe. Shortsightedness and poor decision making aren’t somehow capitalism exclusive. You’re projecting. If they’d had some sort of demonstrated conflict where whatever Kryptonian industry was stonewalling attempts to move to other resources or something, maybe you’d have a point.
[/quote]

Capitalism does not require a free market. China is effectively capitalist despite strong government control. State capitalism is a real thing.

You’ve bought into 50year old Cold War propaganda, congratulations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's interesting that getting kicked off Justice League has ended up doing wonders for rehabilitating Snyder's reputation. Everyone is imagining this mythical cut that we've been robbed of thanks to those meddling executives. The worst thing for Snyder would be anyone ever seeing that cut again, it works far better as an imaginary perfect movie snatched from us.

Thing about that is, I'd rather have watched the film he would have made, warts and all. I don't think he's a genius or anything, just a really good and thoughtful director in a field generally considered not worth thinking about. The what could have been is frustrating because he actually had some drat idea of what he wanted to do and it wasn't just making Save The Cat: The Movie with everything that didn't test well getting cut out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Thing about that is, I'd rather have watched the film he would have made, warts and all. I don't think he's a genius or anything, just a really good and thoughtful director in a field generally considered not worth thinking about. The what could have been is frustrating because he actually had some drat idea of what he wanted to do and it wasn't just making Save The Cat: The Movie with everything that didn't test well getting cut out.

This exactly summarizes how I feel about Snyder and Justice League as a whole. I don’t necessarily agree with Snyder’s vision of these characters, but I respect that he had a vision, and he should have been allowed to realize that vision to completion (assuming the trade talk is true and he was indeed fired). Even if his Justice League has turned out as just a big of a train wreck was what we actually got, at least it would have been his train wreck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I didn’t care for Batman v Superman at all and even I would have rather Snyder finished Justice League. I wouldn’t have watched it, but the people who are into his movies would have, and some people enjoying a movie is better than no people enjoying a movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People must enjoy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

302 isn't really a good mood is but I can never hate it after seeing the Athens navy's secret superweapon revealed.

It's a horse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

K. Waste posted:

Oliver Stone's Alexander is a pretty dead-on antecedent to 300, in that both are clever allegorical revisions of history that use the mythological opposition between Western civilization and the Orient to satirize the rhetoric of contemporary U.S. 'foreign policy.' In each film, however, there's this also very earnest, overtly sensual fantasy of the Greek hero actually being a defiantly 'progressive' - Alexander wants to completely assimilate his empire so that he can make a world for him and Hephaistion of freer love; Leonidas doesn't want religion to check reasonable, collectivist opposition to imperialism. Baby steps. What both films fetishize is precisely this self-sacrificial discipline, with Alexander as a much better sequel than Rise of an Empire depicting how this same mythology and rhetoric leads to the trudging death cult that Alexander inspires, and eventually loses completely.

300 isnt a satire

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

corn in the bible posted:

300 isnt a satire

There's a loving goat man smoking weed in a silk tent, my dude. that's not in the comic btw

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a loving goat man smoking weed in a silk tent, my dude. that's not in the comic btw

Very literal interpretation of "satire".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I didn’t care for Batman v Superman at all and even I would have rather Snyder finished Justice League. I wouldn’t have watched it, but the people who are into his movies would have, and some people enjoying a movie is better than no people enjoying a movie.

Thank you Phylo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Capitalism does not require a free market. China is effectively capitalist despite strong government control. State capitalism is a real thing.

You’ve bought into 50year old Cold War propaganda, congratulations.

*dismissive wanking motion*

I didn't say poo poo about a free market. Capitalism does require private ownership, which Krypton didn't really demonstrate at any point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phylodox posted:

I know people who enjoyed both BvS AND JL

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

the ability to construct an allegory doesn't make the whole thing ironic on its own

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mordiceius posted:

Well the thing you have to understand about 300 is that everything up until the final scene is fiction. And I don't mean fiction in the way that all fictional films are fiction, I mean fiction in the way that all of the events with Leonidas and with Xerxes is all an elaborate tale told to inspire warriors.

Note: This analysis and interpretation on the material is taking 300 as a stand-alone film. As the sequel tries to double down on the "no, this all actually happened" angle.

The entire film is a critique of using revisionist history to try to control the masses.

The Spartans were massacred by a force that greatly outnumbered them. They held the area due to the geography, not because they were mythical warriors. But these facts don't inspire an army to fight invaders.

The great irony is this interpretation makes 300 a historically accurate movie. Because modern Spartan histories say the Spartans don't have a legendary military reputation Archaic period. Their entire reputation as the greatest warriors that Greece has every known was built at Thermopylai. 300 is a historically accurate tale of how the Spartans took that one battle, and built a legend around it in a way that ignores many of the facts of the battle.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I know people who enjoyed both BvS AND JL

I would recommend not being in a room alone with such lunatics

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AlternateAccount posted:

*dismissive wanking motion*

I didn't say poo poo about a free market. Capitalism does require private ownership, which Krypton didn't really demonstrate at any point.

It doesn’t demonstrate anything about property ownership, but it definitely illustrates a rapacious desire to exhaust every possible natural resource, much like our current form of end stage capitalism.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

golden bubble posted:

The great irony is this interpretation makes 300 a historically accurate movie. Because modern Spartan histories say the Spartans don't have a legendary military reputation Archaic period. Their entire reputation as the greatest warriors that Greece has every known was built at Thermopylai. 300 is a historically accurate tale of how the Spartans took that one battle, and built a legend around it in a way that ignores many of the facts of the battle.

Weren't they just a warrior culture who eventually caved in on itself, like all warrior cultures ultimately do?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Weren't they just a warrior culture who eventually caved in on itself, like all warrior cultures ultimately do?

They were better at smack talk than actually putting their money where their mouth was

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

golden bubble posted:

This is a loving fascinating read.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

golden bubble posted:

Pro-click read here, folks

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It doesn’t demonstrate anything about property ownership, but it definitely illustrates a rapacious desire to exhaust every possible natural resource, much like our current form of end stage capitalism.

End stage capitalism:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jimbot posted:

The link basically says the Spartan way of life began as a way to create the ultimate Greek citizen, rather than the ultimate warrior. It just so happened that Greek society was focused on citizen-soldiers, so early Spartans were good (but not the greatest) soldiers. After Thermopylai, they bought their own propaganda and shifted everything into creating the ultimate soldier. This allowed them to dominate land battles for about 150 years, but then the other Greeks caught up. Afterwards, they slowly shifted into theme park Spartans. But the initial propaganda wave was so successful that you still had Roman generals coming to ancient Spartan theme parks and obsessing over Thermopylai half a millennium after Sparta had been surpassed militarily.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Disney just moved Infinity War back a week to April 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Gonz posted:

Disney just moved Infinity War back a week to April 27th.

Quoting this because my fiancee and I get into arguments about the usage of back/forward/up in regards to the "directions" events move on the calendar when their scheduling changes.

To be clear, it was originally scheduled for May 4th in the US. It's now coming April 27th.

This gives Solo a little more breathing room. Wonder if Deadpool may move a week earlier too now.